Mailing List Archive

[Wikimedia-l] Re: The Wikimedia Enterprise API project
Dear all,

Following the initial announcement and project launch in 2021, and press
release about first customers in 2022, the Wikimedia Enterprise team has
today published the *first financial report* and a summary of a
forthcoming *product
update*.

This has been published today on the Diff blog, here:
https://diff.wikimedia.org/2023/02/07/wikimedia-enterprise-financial-report-product-update/
[also available in German
<https://diff.wikimedia.org/de/2023/02/07/wikimedia-enterprise-finanzbericht-und-produktupdates/>
]

One of the principles
<https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikimedia_Enterprise/Principles> of
the Wikimedia
Enterprise project has been “the publication of overall revenue and
expenses, differentiated from those of the Wikimedia Foundation in general,
at least annually”. We are therefore proud to present the inaugural edition
of the Wikimedia Enterprise financial report – covering the calendar-year
2022, its first year of operations.

The update also includes a description of some of the API features that
have been under development. While the primary use-case is companies which
consistently require very high-speed updates of very large amounts of
Wikimedia content, it is important to note that there are several
free-access methods.

If you have written questions or comments about the update, please share
them on the project’s talkpage
<https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Talk:Wikimedia_Enterprise> on Meta. As
described in the blogpost, we consider this report covering the 2022
calendar year to be a “beta” version. We are actively seeking feedback
about how its structure, content, and explanations can be improved for the
next edition in late 2023, which will cover the 2022-23 fiscal year.

If you prefer real-time conversation: A public meeting will be hosted by
the Enterprise team this Friday, February 10 @1900 UTC to discuss this
announcement - details on the project homepage
<https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikimedia_Enterprise>.

If you have any other questions please consult the FAQ
<https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikimedia_Enterprise/FAQ>.

Sincerely,

* Liam Wyatt [Wittylama]*

Senior Program Manager
for *Enterprise,* *Campaigns, & WikiCite*
Wikimedia Foundation