Mailing List Archive

[Wikimedia-l] Wikimania 2005 Flashback livestream in 2 hours
An oral history and discussion of the world of Wikimedia from 2005 to the
present, seen through the lens of the annual Wikimania conference. A
roundtable of panelists engage in a live video discussion (using YouTube,
Facebook, Twitter, Twitch). The audience is invited to share their views
and experiences.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dkybZMOLY1E

Wikimania 2020 was scheduled for August 5 to coincide with the 15th
anniversary of the first Wikimania, but it had to be postponed til next
year due to Covid. Since we can't be together in person, we'll spend the
first episode of this series discussing the very first Wikimania, held in
2005 in Frankfurt, Germany, and the entire year of 2005 in Wikimedia and
wikis. This was the first international conference of the Wikimedia
movement and the first time many participants had met another Wikipedian.
It was held in a youth hostel (Haus der Jugend) in Frankfurt, and we spent
much of the week outside in the hostel's beer garden. What else was going
on in the world of Wikipedia and wikis in 2005? Attendees and organizers of
Wikimania 2005 will talk about this momentous early event, how it shaped
Wikimedia going forward, and what Wikipedia and Wikimedia was like in 2005,
in the context of the wider world.

A project of the Wikipedia Weekly Network, part of the countdown to the
20th anniversary of Wikipedia (January 15, 2021):
https://yearbyyear.wiki20.org

Thanks,
Richard
(User:Pharos)