Mailing List Archive

[Wikimedia-l] Wikimedians for Sustainable Development - February Newsletter
This is our third newsletter, covering February 2020. This issue has news
related to SDGs 2, 3, 4, 5, 10, 13, 14, 15 and 17.

*Meetings*
* We had our third online coordination meeting, minutes are available. (SDG
17) [1]

*Content*
* Wikimedia Australia works on bushfire related content. (SDG 13) [7]
* Creative Commons have published a new book: "Creative Commons for
Educators and Librarians". (SDG 4) [10]
* The Sustainable Development Goals template that was used on the Wikimania
wiki has been copied to meta [12] and also adapted to an inline version.
[13] They should be easy to copy to other wikis as well. (SDG all)
* There are now user boxes available on some projects. (SDG 17) [16]
* The WHO Electronic Essential Medicines List (eEML) has been released
under a Creative Commons Attribution license. (SDG 3) [20]

*In the news*
* On Wikipedia, a fight is raging over coronavirus disinformation (SDG 3)
[11]
* Does Biodiversity Informatics ???? Wikidata? (SDG 14 & 15) [18]
* Coronavirus in Wikipedia by language — visualized (SDG 3) [23]

*Highlighting*
* Wikimedia Sverige has started a section on their website dedicated to the
Sustainable Development Goals. (SDG all) [14]

*Upcoming events*
* 2-6 March - Open Education Week. (SDG 4) [21]
* 6 March - We are giving a keynote at Open Belgium. (SDG 17) [2]
* 8 March - Several Wikigap events are being planned. (SDG 5) [3]
* 11 March - Climate Justice Wikipedia Edit-a-thon, New York City, USA (SDG
10 & 13) [19]
* [CANCELLED] - Wikimedia Summit 2020 cancelled due to global health risks
(SDG 3) [22]

*New properties on Wikidata*
* AnimalBase ID (SDG 14 & 15) [15]
* Open Food Facts label (SDG 2) [17]

*New Wikidata query examples*
* Number of cases of the SARS-CoV-2 coronavirus reported per country (SDG
3) [4]
* Map of medical facilities in Kalimpong district, India, color-coded by
type (SDG 3) [5]
* Books related to LGBTI+ topics (SDG 5) [6]
* Timeline of same-sex marriage legalization in various countries (SDG 5)
[8]
* Chart of the number of infections and deaths caused since the outbreak of
the SARS-CoV-2 coronavirus, as reported by the World Health Organisation
(SDG 3) [9]

*Links*
* [1]
https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikimedians_for_Sustainable_Development/Meeting_minutes_202000209
* [2]
https://2020.openbelgium.be/session/sharing-knowledge-about-sustainable-development-goals
* [3] https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/WikiGap/2020/Events
* [4] https://w.wiki/GTg
* [5] https://w.wiki/GZw
* [6] https://w.wiki/GZt
* [7]
https://outreach.wikimedia.org/wiki/GLAM/Newsletter/January_2020/Contents/Australia_report
* [8] https://w.wiki/GwV
* [9] https://w.wiki/Gk4
* [10]
https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Creative_Commons_for_Educators_and_Librarians.pdf
* [11] https://www.wired.co.uk/article/wikipedia-coronavirus
* [12] https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Template:SDG
* [13] https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Template:SDG_inline
* [14] https://wikimedia.se/globala-malen/
* [15] https://www.wikidata.org/wiki/Property:P7905
* [16] https://www.wikidata.org/wiki/Q85965217
* [17] https://www.wikidata.org/wiki/Property:P7927
* [18] https://data-blog.gbif.org/post/wikidata/
* [19]
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Meetup/NYC/Climate_Justice_Wikipedia_Edit-a-thon
* [20] https://list.essentialmeds.org/licencing
* [21] https://www.openeducationweek.org/
* [22]
https://lists.wikimedia.org/pipermail/wikimedia-l/2020-February/094381.html
* [23]
https://towardsdatascience.com/coronavirus-interest-inwikipedia-by-language-1b3e6562040d

Do you want to get this newsletter delivered to your userpage? Sign up
here:
https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Global_message_delivery/Targets/Wikimedians_for_Sustainable_Development_newsletter

Sent on behalf of Wikimedians for Sustainable Development,
Jan Ainali