Mailing List Archive

Permissions page on wikimediafoundation.org?
I keep getting email from people asking permission to use stuff. Is
there a simple permissions page on wikimediafoundation.org? I'm
thinking of something that can be linked from [[Contact us]] the way
[[Press room]] is.

(The request that provoked me to write this was a recent request for
logo use permission in a press article about Wikipedia. Which, as I
understand it, we allow fairly freely. But I can't find the page on
it.)

I'm thinking of something simpler than the reuse page I started on
Commons: http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Reuse - possibly something
that just says:

* Content: almost all text and images on Wikimedia sites are ''not''
owned by Wikimedia. You can reuse them under the relevant free-content
licence, or by direct arrangement with the creator. See (link to above
commons page).
* Wikipedia/Wikimedia logos: see [[logo use policy]].
* ...

- d.
Re: Permissions page on wikimediafoundation.org? [ In reply to ]
On 23/11/06, David Gerard <dgerard@gmail.com> wrote:

> (The request that provoked me to write this was a recent request for
> logo use permission in a press article about Wikipedia. Which, as I
> understand it, we allow fairly freely. But I can't find the page on
> it.)

http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Commons:Press

- d.
Re: Permissions page on wikimediafoundation.org? [ In reply to ]
On 23/11/06, David Gerard <dgerard@gmail.com> wrote:

> I'm thinking of something simpler than the reuse page I started on
> Commons: http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Reuse - possibly something
> that just says:
> * Content: almost all text and images on Wikimedia sites are ''not''
> owned by Wikimedia. You can reuse them under the relevant free-content
> licence, or by direct arrangement with the creator. See (link to above
> commons page).
> * Wikipedia/Wikimedia logos: see [[logo use policy]].
> * ...

OK, I've edited the English-language version of the [[Contact us]]
page and the [[Press room]] page:

http://wikimediafoundation.org/wiki/Contact_us
http://wikimediafoundation.org/wiki/Press_room

Please have a look and see if I've written anything really wrong or horrible.

(cc'd directly to Danny and Brad for obvious reasons!)

- d.
Re: Permissions page on wikimediafoundation.org? [ In reply to ]
On 23/11/06, David Gerard <dgerard@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 23/11/06, David Gerard <dgerard@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > (The request that provoked me to write this was a recent request for
> > logo use permission in a press article about Wikipedia. Which, as I
> > understand it, we allow fairly freely. But I can't find the page on
> > it.)
>

> http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Commons:Press

Oh, *marvellous*. I've always faffed about what to do with "can we use
your logo" OTRS queries.

--
- Andrew Gray
andrew.gray@dunelm.org.uk
Re: Permissions page on wikimediafoundation.org? [ In reply to ]
On 23/11/06, Andrew Gray <shimgray@gmail.com> wrote:

> > http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Commons:Press

> Oh, *marvellous*. I've always faffed about what to do with "can we use
> your logo" OTRS queries.

Yep! And if the editability of that page is a problem, [[Contact us]]
on the foundation wiki now says "LOOK, JUST USE OUR LOGOS, OK?!"

- d.
Re: Permissions page on wikimediafoundation.org? [ In reply to ]
On 23/11/06, David Gerard <dgerard@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 23/11/06, Andrew Gray <shimgray@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > > http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Commons:Press
>
> > Oh, *marvellous*. I've always faffed about what to do with "can we use
> > your logo" OTRS queries.
>

> Yep! And if the editability of that page is a problem, [[Contact us]]
> on the foundation wiki now says "LOOK, JUST USE OUR LOGOS, OK?!"

Can we have a blanket blurb for "I'd like to use a screenshot of the
site", too? I understand that one's legally flakier due to it
containing content which is not ours, but a permission to use all the
bits of it which are ours and a reassuring remark about fair-use for
display purposes or somesuch...

--
- Andrew Gray
andrew.gray@dunelm.org.uk
Re: Permissions page on wikimediafoundation.org? [ In reply to ]
Op 24-nov-2006, om 10:59 heeft Andrew Gray het volgende geschreven:

> Can we have a blanket blurb for "I'd like to use a screenshot of the
> site", too? I understand that one's legally flakier due to it
> containing content which is not ours, but a permission to use all the
> bits of it which are ours and a reassuring remark about fair-use for
> display purposes or somesuch...

I'm new to this list and haven't paid attention to the discussion up
till now, but I guess it would be something like this?

"Due to the nature of the licenses used by the projects of the
Wikimedia Foundation, you are legally entitled to create and use
screenshots of the projects. While you are generally only required to
attribute the screenshot to their original copyright holders and keep
it under the same license as ours, we suggest that you refer to the
exact license of the project you are interested in for more
information. It should be noted that the projects may contain fair
use images; refer to the fair use clause of your region's copyright
law to assess whether your use is fair as well."

Michiel Sikma <michiel@thingmajig.org>
Web designer and programmer

Re: Permissions page on wikimediafoundation.org? [ In reply to ]
On 24/11/06, Andrew Gray <shimgray@gmail.com> wrote:

> Can we have a blanket blurb for "I'd like to use a screenshot of the
> site", too? I understand that one's legally flakier due to it
> containing content which is not ours, but a permission to use all the
> bits of it which are ours and a reassuring remark about fair-use for
> display purposes or somesuch...

I'd rather leave it as "we give permission for use of our logos; the
text belongs to someone else so we can't give you permission for it,
use it under the author's license or ask them directly; or it's almost
certainly fair use/fair dealing in most sane jurisdictions; check with
your lawyer if you are at all unsure." Something as simply-worded as
possible.

- d.
Re: Permissions page on wikimediafoundation.org? [ In reply to ]
On 11/24/06, Andrew Gray <shimgray@gmail.com> wrote:

> > > Oh, *marvellous*. I've always faffed about what to do with "can we use
> > > your logo" OTRS queries.
> >

> > Yep! And if the editability of that page is a problem, [[Contact us]]
> > on the foundation wiki now says "LOOK, JUST USE OUR LOGOS, OK?!"
>
> Can we have a blanket blurb for "I'd like to use a screenshot of the
> site", too? I understand that one's legally flakier due to it
> containing content which is not ours, but a permission to use all the
> bits of it which are ours and a reassuring remark about fair-use for
> display purposes or somesuch...
>
> --
> - Andrew Gray
> andrew.gray@dunelm.org.uk

On a slightly off-topic, but OTRS stuff.

Shouldn't we be requesting pictures to be uploaded with Creative
Commons besides or alternatively to GFDL?
Arguments to be found here:
http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Commons:Licensing

Maybe somre review to the templates at [[m:OTRS/en]] may be due.

Pedro Sánchez
User:Drini