Mailing List Archive

fundraising page - shouldn't we note what we are aiming for?
--- Marco Krohn <marco.krohn@web.de> wrote on Wikipedia-l:
> Following the first link I would like to suggest changing
> two things:
>
> * there still is a link to Brion Vibbers notebook fund at the very end of the
>
> page. Don't get me wrong, Brion deserves a lot more money than he probably
> gets through donations, but linking to a page which seems to be outdated
> doesn't look good to me.

The link now goes directly to a PayPal payment form instead of Brion's outdated
notebook fund page. I plan to add other developers in that section as well.
More changes and improvements are also planned for the new WMF website that
Brion is helping us set up.

> * the fundraising page doesn't contain information how much money we are
> aiming for. A potential donator would just see that we have ~20 K$ on our
> account and many probably will think "well, they probably have enough money".

That is because
1) We don't have an approved budget
2) This is not a real fund drive (the message is en.wikipedia specific)

Daniel Mayer,
Wikimedia CFO

http://promotions.yahoo.com/new_mail
Re: fundraising page - shouldn't we note what we are aiming for? [ In reply to ]
Daniel Mayer wrote:
> --- Marco Krohn <marco.krohn@web.de> wrote on Wikipedia-l:

>>Following the first link I would like to suggest changing
>>two things:
>>
>>* there still is a link to Brion Vibbers notebook fund at the very end of the
>>
>>page. Don't get me wrong, Brion deserves a lot more money than he probably
>>gets through donations, but linking to a page which seems to be outdated
>>doesn't look good to me.
>

> The link now goes directly to a PayPal payment form instead of Brion's outdated
> notebook fund page. I plan to add other developers in that section as well.
> More changes and improvements are also planned for the new WMF website that
> Brion is helping us set up.

May I mention that I have some ideas about what to do on this page as
well, and things to do about the developers ? I do not do it right now,
because it is an html page and as such hard to edit. But just in case, I
wish to tell you that I intend to transform some points, so it would be
better that we discuss it to avoid you being upset afterwards because we
change everything again.

Just a thought

Re: fundraising page - shouldn't we note what we are aiming for? [ In reply to ]
Daniel wrote:
"We might want to consider putting a bounty on creating a bot that could do
that."

I can't help but notice that our CFO repeatedly feels the urge to spend
money where other options have not been exhausted (or even tried) ;)

Erik Zachte
Re: Re: fundraising page - shouldn't we note what we are aiming for? [ In reply to ]
--- Erik Zachte <e.p.zachte@chello.nl> wrote:

> Daniel wrote:
> "We might want to consider putting a bounty on creating a bot that could do
> that."
>
> I can't help but notice that our CFO repeatedly feels the urge to spend
> money where other options have not been exhausted (or even tried) ;)

I simply want results and I want them fast. Creating a process by which donors
get near instant feedback that their donation was counted and helped push us
toward a goal will generate many times the money any bounty would cost.

I'm also not at all keen on trying to attempt to do this in anything but an
automated way (esp since it would be *me* that would be attempting to be a
bot).

So do you have anything other than snide remarks to add? ;)

-- mav

http://promotions.yahoo.com/new_mail
Re: fundraising page - shouldn't we note what we are aiming for? [ In reply to ]
Daniel wrote:
"So do you have anything other than snide remarks to add? ;)"

If you mean, do it myself, no, I'm afraid not, pretty busy. But I see
prospective developers from time to time ask how they can contribute. This
would be something that does not require intimate knowledge of MediaWiki
internals, so I'd say give it a try.

"The person creating it would have to be *very* trusted and their bot code
vetted for security purposes."

I wonder, many developers write applications which will need to run in a
secured environment, so much so that they don't get access to the live
version themselves. They test it on a fake account. Standard practice. Yes,
an audit would be wise.

Erik Zachte