Konstantinos Stampoulis
[[User:Geraki]]
[el.wikipedia (s&b), el.wikisource (s&b), meta, commons]

Re: Domains [ In reply to ]
Konstantinos wrote:

Hi Konstantinos

> Since http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Domain_names and
> http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Squatted_Wikimedia_domains have been moved to
> internal wiki (wrong
imho), I post these he
re:

> * wikipedia.gr has been squatted and is for sale at sedoparking.com.
> * wikimedia.gr has been bought by myself and is a portal to wikimedia
> projects (when there is a project in greek language, it links to that one)
> * âéêéðáéäåéá.gr (wikipedia in greek) has been bought by myself and is a
> redirect to el.wikipedia.org
>
> I will do anything that is suggested by the Foundation with these domains.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Konstantinos Stampoulis
> [[User:Geraki]]
> [el.wikipedia (s&b), el.wikisource (s&b), meta, commons]

Well, it has been moved to internal, because it may be quite damaging to
write publicly which domains we own, which ones we would like to
purchase one day in the future, as well as to publicly discuss how we
intend to retrieve lost domains.

This said, I agree with you that it is a problem for those of you who
are willing to help and secure domains.

We are right now setting up a task force to be in charge of all this. I
expect announcement in the next few days. You'll have the opportunity to
directly communicate with the people in charge.

Meanwhile, I copy your comments on internal.

Thanks a lot.

Anthere

Re: Domains [ In reply to ]
Hello,

A small report on this too:

Wikipedia.org.ve has been registered by a squatter, is not for sale yet
but is not being used either (DNS is wrong)

Wikimedia.org.ve has been registered by me and is currently being used
to setup the Venezuelan Chapter, like I've said in previous posts if the
chapter doesn't go through, we'll happily cede/donate the domain to the
foundation.

The good thing about the Venezuelan NIC is that you have to be
physically in Venezuela to register a domain (It requires a deposit in a
Bank that's only in Venezuela).

If there are other .ve domains that we should secure, please let me know
through email.

Regards,

Damian Finol.

Re: Domains [ In reply to ]
Damian Finol wrote:
> Hello,
>
> A small report on this too:
>
> Wikipedia.org.ve has been registered by a squatter, is not for sale yet
> but is not being used either (DNS is wrong)
>
> Wikimedia.org.ve has been registered by me and is currently being used
> to setup the Venezuelan Chapter, like I've said in previous posts if the
> chapter doesn't go through, we'll happily cede/donate the domain to the
> foundation.
>
> The good thing about the Venezuelan NIC is that you have to be
> physically in Venezuela to register a domain (It requires a deposit in a
> Bank that's only in Venezuela).
>
> If there are other .ve domains that we should secure, please let me know
> through email.
>
> Regards,
>
> Damian Finol.

added as well :-)

Ey Damian. Nobody amongst you motivated to get involved in Wikimania
program ?

Ant

Re: Domains [ In reply to ]
Anthere wrote:
> Damian Finol wrote:
>> Hello,
>>
>> A small report on this too:
>>
>> Wikipedia.org.ve has been registered by a squatter, is not for sale yet
>> but is not being used either (DNS is wrong)
>>
>> Wikimedia.org.ve has been registered by me and is currently being used
>> to setup the Venezuelan Chapter, like I've said in previous posts if the
>> chapter doesn't go through, we'll happily cede/donate the domain to the
>> foundation.
>>
>> The good thing about the Venezuelan NIC is that you have to be
>> physically in Venezuela to register a domain (It requires a deposit in a
>> Bank that's only in Venezuela).
>>
>> If there are other .ve domains that we should secure, please let me know
>> through email.
>>
>> Regards,
>>
>> Damian Finol.
>
> added as well :-)
>
> Ey Damian. Nobody amongst you motivated to get involved in Wikimania
> program ?
>
> Ant

Hey Ant,

I already volunteered to work on Wikimania 2008 :), I had a chat with
Theodoranian and told him I was more than available to participate and
do whatever it is they need me to do, I'm also in the wikimania-l mail
list :). I'll see if any of the other guys in Venezuela is interested,
but is not going to be easy to raise money to go there (not to mention
getting Visas). I'm already saving up money and now I have a grand total
of 105$! out of 2400$ in Air fare :).

Anyways, if there's anything else I can do, either for the Foundation or
to Wikimania, I'm available (I defend Thesis on Nov 20, so after
that I'm pretty much done with university yay! :) ).

Regards,

Damian Finol
Maracaibo, Venezuela.
Re: Domains [ In reply to ]
Damian Finol wrote:
> Anthere wrote:
>
>>Damian Finol wrote:
>>
>>>Hello,
>>>
>>>A small report on this too:
>>>
>>>Wikipedia.org.ve has been registered by a squatter, is not for sale yet
>>>but is not being used either (DNS is wrong)
>>>
>>>Wikimedia.org.ve has been registered by me and is currently being used
>>>to setup the Venezuelan Chapter, like I've said in previous posts if the
>>>chapter doesn't go through, we'll happily cede/donate the domain to the
>>>foundation.
>>>
>>>The good thing about the Venezuelan NIC is that you have to be
>>>physically in Venezuela to register a domain (It requires a deposit in a
>>>Bank that's only in Venezuela).
>>>
>>>If there are other .ve domains that we should secure, please let me know
>>> through email.
>>>
>>>Regards,
>>>
>>>Damian Finol.
>>
>>added as well :-)
>>
>>Ey Damian. Nobody amongst you motivated to get involved in Wikimania
>>program ?
>>
>>Ant

> Hey Ant,
>
> I already volunteered to work on Wikimania 2008 :), I had a chat with
> Theodoranian and told him I was more than available to participate and
> do whatever it is they need me to do, I'm also in the wikimania-l mail
> list :). I'll see if any of the other guys in Venezuela is interested,
> but is not going to be easy to raise money to go there (not to mention
> getting Visas). I'm already saving up money and now I have a grand total
> of 105$! out of 2400$ in Air fare :).
>
> Anyways, if there's anything else I can do, either for the Foundation or
> to Wikimania, I'm available (I defend Thesis on Nov 20, so after
> that I'm pretty much done with university yay! :) ).
>
> Regards,
>
> Damian Finol
> Maracaibo, Venezuela.

Cool.

And what was your field of studies ?
And what do you like doing ?
(what are you really bad at doing as well)
Any specific wish ?

ant

Re: Domains [ In reply to ]
David Gerard wrote:
> On 24/03/07, Platonides <Platonides@gmail.com> wrote:
>

>> BTW: Who will take care of the domains now Brad resigns?
>>

> Domain names? I thought that was already Brion's job.
>

> - d
In the past Jimbo was the "designated agent" for domain names in terms
of who was listed as the primary administrative contact.

Brion is clearly the "technical contact", and he is the one that deals
with the server side in terms of which IP addresses and other issues
about the domains and sub-domains are concerned, but in terms of being
legally responsible for paying the bills and making sure the legal
aspects of keeping and maintaining the domain names (and fighting off
challenges to those who might claim the domains through legal action),
that was clearly Brad's area of expertise.

Currently "wikipedia.org" lists Brad as both the administrative contact
as well as the technical contact. See
http://who.godaddy.com/WhoIs.aspx?domain=wikipedia.org&prog_id=godaddy
for some details.

Once a replacement for Brad happens, this is something that should be
dealt with. I think Brion ought to be listed as the technical contact,
(mainly for situations like this), but that is something left to the WMF
board to decide. The "real" person who owns the domain is the person
listed as the administrative contact. In theory Brad could really screw
over the foundation here if he wanted, even though I seriously doubt he
is that kind of person to take advantage of this situation, not to
mention it would ruin is reputation as an attorney.

-- Robert Horning

Re: Domains [ In reply to ]
&quot;Once a replacement for Brad happens...&quot;

Brad is not exactly replaceable ;-)
Let's just hope that we find a skilled lawyer who is as passionate about the WMF as Brad.
-George

On Sat, 24 Mar 2007 09:35:16 -0600 Wikimedia Foundation Mailing List wrote:

David Gerard wrote:
> On 24/03/07, Platonides <Platonides@gmail.com> wrote:
>

>> BTW: Who will take care of the domains now Brad resigns?
>>

> Domain names? I thought that was already Brion's job.
>

> - d
In the past Jimbo was the &quot;designated agent&quot; for domain names in terms
of who was listed as the primary administrative contact.

Brion is clearly the &quot;technical contact&quot;, and he is the one that deals
with the server side in terms of which IP addresses and other issues
about the domains and sub-domains are concerned, but in terms of being
legally responsible for paying the bills and making sure the legal
aspects of keeping and maintaining the domain names (and fighting off
challenges to those who might claim the domains through legal action),
that was clearly Brad's area of expertise.

Currently &quot;wikipedia.org&quot; lists Brad as both the administrative contact
as well as the technical contact. See
http://who.godaddy.com/WhoIs.aspx?domain=wikipedia.org&prog_id=godaddy
for some details.

Once a replacement for Brad happens, this is something that should be
dealt with. I think Brion ought to be listed as the technical contact,
(mainly for situations like this), but that is something left to the WMF
board to decide. The &quot;real&quot; person who owns the domain is the person

Re: Domains [ In reply to ]
Its probably an oversight with regards to Bomis

I suspect Mr/Ms brooking is a wikipedian, if not its a simple changeover process.