I was asked today if there was an age limit on the wikimedia.org website.

Like, how old do you have to be in order to edit and make articles.

Even, I did not know...

Age? [ In reply to ]
Hi,

Re: Age? [ In reply to ]
Well, the only limit as far as I know is that you have to be able to
type usefull information. Children can do that sometimes even ebtetr
as elder people. In principle there is afaik no age limit on reading
or writing for the wikimedia projects (what is waht you mean I
guess?), especially because we don't are able to check that age, nor
should it be necessairy.

Greetings, Lodewijk

Re: Age? [ In reply to ]
On 10/6/06, Asher Heimermann <sheboyganpolitics@yahoo.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I was asked today if there was an age limit on the wikimedia.org website.
>
> Like, how old do you have to be in order to edit and make articles.
>
> Even, I did not know...

Depends on who is asking but the general answer is that we have no way
of inforceing any age limits.

--
geni
Re: Age? [ In reply to ]
2006/10/6, Asher Heimermann <sheboyganpolitics@yahoo.com>:

> I was asked today if there was an age limit on the wikimedia.org website.
>
> Like, how old do you have to be in order to edit and make articles.
>
> Even, I did not know...

I'm quite convinced that there is not, and I would also be very much
against any limit that is not necessitated by law. As long as we are
not collecting personal information, I don't think there's any
problems in that aspect. On wikimedia.org it is still the case that
nobody knows that you're a dog.

--
Andre Engels, andreengels@gmail.com
ICQ: 6260644 -- Skype: a_engels
Re: Age? [ In reply to ]
On 06/10/06, Andre Engels <andreengels@gmail.com> wrote:

> 2006/10/6, Asher Heimermann <sheboyganpolitics@yahoo.com>:
> I'm quite convinced that there is not, and I would also be very much
> against any limit that is not necessitated by law. As long as we are
> not collecting personal information, I don't think there's any
> problems in that aspect. On wikimedia.org it is still the case that
> nobody knows that you're a dog.

Indeed, some gifted 14 year-olds are more gifted in encyclopedia-building
than many 30 year-olds.
--
Oldak Quill (oldakquill@gmail.com)
Re: Age? [ In reply to ]
On 10/7/06, Asher Heimermann <sheboyganpolitics@yahoo.com> wrote:

> I was asked today if there was an age limit on the wikimedia.org website.
>
> Like, how old do you have to be in order to edit and make articles.
>
> Even, I did not know...

New policy: you can't edit once you turn 30. We'll call it Jimbo's Run.

--
Stephen Bain
stephen.bain@gmail.com