Mailing List Archive

Wikimedia Foundation Board Election 2006: Announcement of result
We, the Election Officers, hereby give notice of the results of the
2006 Board of Trustees election. The winner is Erik Möller, also known
as "Eloquence" or "Xirzon". Assuming that the Board endorses the
result and appoints Möller, he will replace Angela Beesley, who chose
to resign [1] earlier this year. The term to which Möller will be
appointed will cover the rest of the term for which Beesley was
elected, and will end with the ordinary 2007 election.

In total, 2347 valid ballots were cast and accepted; the specific
results are as follows:

1st - 987 (42%) - Eloquence (Erik Möller)
2nd - 702 (30%) - Mindspillage (Kathleen (Kat) Walsh)
3rd - 648 (28%) - Oscar (Oscar van Dillen)
4th - 580 (25%) - Arnomane (Daniel Arnold)
5th - 492 (21%) - Kim Bruning
6th - 423 (18%) - AaronSw (Aaron Swartz)
7th - 382 (16%) - Charles Matthews
8th - 378 (16%) - Arno Lagrange
9th - 375 (16%) - Cimon Avaro (Jussi-Ville Heiskanen)
10th - 356 (15%) - Zuirdj (Juan David Ruiz)
11th - 349 (15%) - Kelly Martin
12th - 346 (15%) - UninvitedCompany (Steve Dunlop)
13th - 323 (14%) - Improv (Pat Gunn)
14th - 315 (13%) - Linuxbeak (Alex Schenck)
15th - 297 (13%) - alex756 (Alex T. Roshuk Esq.)
16th - 237 (10%) - Evrik (Bruce Andersen)
17th - 109 ( 5%) - Ross.Hedvicek (Ross Hedvicek)

We would like to take this opportunity to give our thanks to all of
the developers, translators, those people who supported and promoted
the election, and all others for their support and assistance for the
election, and especial thanks to Tim Starling.

[1] - http://wikimediafoundation.org/wiki/Press_releases/Angela_Beesley_resigns_from_Wikimedia_Foundation_board

Yours,

The Election Officials, Wikimedia Foundation Board Election 2006

Essjay
James D. Forrester
Kizu Naoko
Dariusz Siedlecki
Jon Harald Søby
Re: Wikimedia Foundation Board Election 2006: Announcement of result [ In reply to ]
Word.

Re: Wikimedia Foundation Board Election 2006: Announcement of result [ In reply to ]
My deepest congratulations to Erik; may he be a successful and wise Board member. Also congratulations to each and every one of the candidates, and great thanks to the elections officials, everyone who helped translate and make the election successful, and everyone who voted.Best of luck, Erik!FlcelloguyFrom Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia.
Re: Wikimedia Foundation Board Election 2006: Announcement of result [ In reply to ]
Best wishes and good luck and success to Angela. She is to be
congratulated for her board service and work in the community.

Erik, welcome aboard!

--
Brad Patrick
General Counsel & Interim Executive Director
Re: Wikimedia Foundation Board Election 2006: Announcement of result [ In reply to ]
Congratulations, Erik. I hope you can be as comprehensive in your
discussions with the community during your term as a board member as
you've been as a candidate, and I mean that without any hint of
sarcasm. We need to know what's going on with the Foundation - and we
need to know where we can help.
Wikimedia Foundation Board Election 2006: Announcement of result [ In reply to ]
A very warm congratulations, Erik Möller!

I could not resist to do some stats: One year, one month and one week passed
since you resigned from your previous official position, stating "My small
role in the history of Wikimedia is largely over." For once you displayed a
remarkable lack of vision :-)

Erik Zachte
Re: Wikimedia Foundation Board Election 2006: Announcement of result [ In reply to ]
Whew. That was quite an exciting election. :-) Thanks to everyone who
voted for me, and special thanks to those who chose to endorse me
publicly. Winning an election is one thing; now the real work begins.

Congratulations to the runner-ups. I think the ranking should at least
alleviate fears that open elections will expose us to a takeover from
outside the community. If I hadn't run, the new Board member would now
be Kat, or Oscar, or Daniel, all of which would have been excellent
choices. Thanks for all the congratulations I have received; I may not
be able to respond to all of them.

For those who did not vote for me, or would have liked to be able to
explicitly vote against me, please give me a chance. I am honestly
interested in everyone's views on what I should or should not be doing
as a Board member, and ask only to be treated with kindness and
respect. I will always make an effort to do the same.

In the coming days, I intend to listen very carefully and accumulate
as much information as I can from many different sources about what
has gone right and what has gone wrong in the Foundation. I will also
send a separate Request for Comments. Rather than saying "I will do X"
right now, I need to get a grip on what will be feasible in the coming
months, and where the priorities should be. I hope you will be patient
with me, but please always feel free to talk to me about WMF matters.
--
Peace & Love,
Erik
Re: Wikimedia Foundation Board Election 2006: Announcement of result [ In reply to ]
Erik,

I'm torn between sending congratulations and commiserations. I do hope
you know what you're letting yourself in for. ;-)

Good luck, and I hope the result, which was the one I wanted, ends up
being the best result for the future of the Foundation and the
Wikimedia communities.

Angela