Mailing List Archive

Commons request for a delinker tool running in every wiki
Hi,

Recently there was a call for help on foundation-l concerning copyright
question on soviet works in Wikimedia Commons. Previous to that several
people have highlighted in various threads on this list several technical
problems in Wikimedia Commons that have lead to a huge backlog of tagged
copyvios in Wikimedia Commons.

Since any of the currently 701 Wikimedia Foundation wikis can link to
Wikimedia Commons, Commons contributors and administrators need to take care
upon modifying or deleting files. Up to now, MediaWiki only provides the
embedding of files, and not the necessary bidirectional cross project
maintenance assistance. In order to overcome these severe technical flaws -
each one challenging the Wikimedia Commons project as a whole -
passionate "Commonists" simply wrote the missing tools themselves. One
essential tool is a file delinker bot that needs to run in every Wikimedia
wiki and it is unreasonable to await approval by 701 different Wikimedia wiki
communities. They all use Wikimedia Commons and Wikimedia Commons now needs
to efficiently interact with them in return:

That for the administrators of Wikimedia Commons request to be exempt from
local bot policies in order to run this bot.

This is entirely necessary if Commons is ever to not have a backlog of
literally thousands of images, ever to talk with any confidence of the
integrity of our wares. And furthermore it is really important to get rid of
our huge backlog of copyvios in Commons efficiently as this copyvio backlog
is a risk for *all* Wikimedia projects.

So please have a look at the request page and support it. It is really
important for the success of all Wikimedia projects:

http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Requests_for_permissions/CommonsDelinker

Please also contact your local (wikipedia-, wikisource-, wikinews-...)
communities so that they are already prepared and know what it is about.
Communities that are openminded towards that service will take part as soon
as possible at the beta test phase of that bot running at large scale.

If you are interested to know how this bot will work in detail have a look at:

http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/User:CommonsDelinker

Cheers, Arnomane
Re: Commons request for a delinker tool running in every wiki [ In reply to ]
On 9/22/06, arnomane@gmx.de <arnomane@gmx.de> wrote:
> That for the administrators of Wikimedia Commons request to be exempt from
> local bot policies in order to run this bot.

I don't think the WMF needs to get legally involved in this. Would it
be reasonable to just run the bot (since it shouldn't have a bot flag
anyway) and ask communities to block it if they find it unreasonable?
--
Peace & Love,
Erik
Re: Commons request for a delinker tool running in every wiki [ In reply to ]
Am Samstag, 23. September 2006 00:13 schrieb Erik Moeller:

> I don't think the WMF needs to get legally involved in this. Would it
> be reasonable to just run the bot (since it shouldn't have a bot flag
> anyway) and ask communities to block it if they find it unreasonable?

The bot in itself is not a legal issue. We just call for support as this is
something which affects all Wikimedia wikis and is thus of general
importance. And of course it's going to be much more easier if the Foundation
supports this especially given the fact that we all know how wired people can
react sometimes.

Given the fact that ensuring of free content policies is one of the *key
missions* of the Wikimedia Foundation and CommonsDelinker is something that
clearly adresses this topic (via a much more efficient copyvio deletion with
less negative side effects for local wikis at the same time) I think it is
appropriate calling for a support note.

And lets not forget: This tool will touch Foundation affairs too: like Meta
wiki, Wikimania wikis, Foundation wiki, although the probability that this
tool will need to remove something there is much lower than in other wikis
but not zero.

By the way: The Foundation wikis need a CommonsTicker. Why? Well you all
remember some troubles with random people overwriting logos and such. We
Commons admins simply don't have the time watching over every file alone.
CommonsTicker would enable you being alerted quickly on overwrite, suggested
deletion and so forth of any logo, image, media file that is important to the
Foundation directly. You will be surprised how much changes in Commons will
affect Foundation wikis directly. Many other Wikimedia wikis can confirm
this because they got used to CommonsTicker.

Wouldn't it be cool to be informed in advance that something needs your
attention? It would save us all a lot of frustration:

http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/User:Duesentrieb/CommonsTicker

Cheers, Arnomane
Re: Commons request for a delinker tool running in every wiki [ In reply to ]
Super.

In this summer "omg red link!!" case happened on the Foundation wiki
again about Commons logo. It is wonderful we are deliver from the need
of manual check and spend the time for more creative works. I fully
support this proposal of Arnomane.

One question: how does it works on the closed (private) wiki? Or
partly access restricted one(s), z.B. wikimania2005? (You need
registration to give a look to Internal namespace, or to pages not
listed on the whitelist)

Currently those wikis are not covered? Just curious.

On 9/23/06, Daniel Arnold <arnomane@gmx.de> wrote:
> Am Samstag, 23. September 2006 00:13 schrieb Erik Moeller:

> Given the fact that ensuring of free content policies is one of the *key
> missions* of the Wikimedia Foundation and CommonsDelinker is something that
> clearly adresses this topic (via a much more efficient copyvio deletion with
> less negative side effects for local wikis at the same time) I think it is
> appropriate calling for a support note.
>
> And lets not forget: This tool will touch Foundation affairs too: like Meta
> wiki, Wikimania wikis, Foundation wiki, although the probability that this
> tool will need to remove something there is much lower than in other wikis
> but not zero.
>
> By the way: The Foundation wikis need a CommonsTicker. Why? Well you all
> remember some troubles with random people overwriting logos and such. We
> Commons admins simply don't have the time watching over every file alone.
> CommonsTicker would enable you being alerted quickly on overwrite, suggested
> deletion and so forth of any logo, image, media file that is important to the
> Foundation directly. You will be surprised how much changes in Commons will
> affect Foundation wikis directly. Many other Wikimedia wikis can confirm
> this because they got used to CommonsTicker.
>
> Wouldn't it be cool to be informed in advance that something needs your
> attention? It would save us all a lot of frustration:
>
> http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/User:Duesentrieb/CommonsTicker
>
> Cheers, Arnomane

Kizu Naoko
Wikiquote: http://wikiquote.org
* vox populi, vox dei *
Re: Commons request for a delinker tool running in every wiki [ In reply to ]
If the bot wishes to run on Wikinews, it'll need an admin flag -- due to our
status as a current events site, almost every single mainspace page is
protected.