Mailing List Archive

Re: [Wikipedia-l] Endorsement
While we're weighing in, I'd like to support Erik Moeller's candidacy.
Though I don't agree with him on all specifics, I trust that he's
sincerely and idealistically committed to the core mission of the
Wikimedia Foundation. As importantly, he has a long track record of
getting important things done, being the primary mover behind getting
both the Wikimedia Commons and WikiNews up and running. Both involved
complex combinations of leadership, policy development, and community
support, and have turned out to be our two most successful recent projects.

From the point of view of relations with overlapping communities, he
has significant credibility with the broader open-content community.
He's been active for many years in a variety of forums (I first ran
across him at kuro5hin, and he ran a well-known copyright-reform blog
for years), and his work with the Wikimedia Commons in particular has
made him known in open-media circles. So having him on the board would
help cement our alliances with the wider group of people who have
similar aims.

There are a number of other candidates who I think would make good board
members, but Erik stands out as having a proven track record of getting
complex but important things done, along with a high level of
credibility in a wider community.

-Mark

Re: [Wikipedia-l] Endorsement [ In reply to ]
I definitely agree with you, Delirium. But I am not a big fan of blatantly
endorsing candidates on the mailing list.

Re: [Wikipedia-l] Endorsement [ In reply to ]
James Hare wrote:
> I definitely agree with you, Delirium. But I am not a big fan of blatantly
> endorsing candidates on the mailing list.

To tell the truth I'm not either, which is why I sent this nearly at the
end of voting rather than a few weeks ago when voting opened. But since
people were throwing out their opinions already, I figured that the
cat's out of the bag and we might as well all add in our views (although
hopefully people will avoid disendorsements, since that can become
acrimonious).

It might be worth deciding whether we want to follow any more organized
endorsement process in future elections (or avoid endorsements altogether).

-Mark