Mailing List Archive

Re: Open question from an Election Official: on voters' elibiglity
effe iets anders wrote:

>I think th idea of exampting people who don't have the right to work
>on a wiki anymore should also not be allowed to be part of the group
>that is represented by the representative is ok. It is not possible to
>make a good comparison with the American way of democratics, please
>let us not stick into that discussion, because there are much more
>other sides to the story, but let's stick to the core of the question.
>
>What are the elections for? We choose a representative. That
>representative represents the communities. If someone is no part of
>the communities, should it be able to vote who should represent that
>community? It's a good question. But I don't think someone should be
>taken away his or her right to vote when (s)he is banned from a
>project. That would be as an additional punishment. I think it would
>be best to state that the edits on the project you are indeinitely
>banned from do not count. So if it was your only project, you can't
>vote. But when you were active enough on another project as well, and
>not banned indef there, it's ok to vote. That way it is not an
>additional punishment, but a clearer definition of the representation.
>
>Lodewijk

Concur.

Jeff

Re: Open question from an Election Official: on voters' elibiglity [ In reply to ]
Aphaia wrote:

>For dear subscribers:
>please discuss the democracy in general in ANOTHER mailinglist

(voting == demoncracy on most planets in this solar system)

>, and
>put your idea not here directly, but the specific page on meta. There
>a discussion/presentation of opinion already has begun, I don't want
>to see this discussion split here and there.

I believe you posted this here Aphaia in the first place. Moving to meta.

(a - (p) hai - a) in Cherokee this kind of translates " I that was I am" .

:-)

Jeff

Re: Open question from an Election Official: on voters' elibiglity [ In reply to ]
Jeffrey V. Merkey wrote:

>Aphaia wrote:
>

>>For dear subscribers:
>>please discuss the democracy in general in ANOTHER mailinglist
>>

>(voting == demoncracy on most planets in this solar system)

I'm glad to see that you believe that voting is a rule by demons, and
not democracy. ;-)

Ec

Re: Open question from an Election Official: on voters' elibiglity [ In reply to ]
Ray Saintonge wrote:

>Jeffrey V. Merkey wrote:
>

>>Aphaia wrote:
>>

>>>For dear subscribers:
>>>please discuss the democracy in general in ANOTHER mailinglist
>>>

>>(voting == demoncracy on most planets in this solar system)
>>

>I'm glad to see that you believe that voting is a rule by demons, and
>not democracy. ;-)
>
>Ec

It was a typo. (or perhaps a freudian slip).

I just went on Wikibreak from meta due to Aphaia's constant harassment.
I will continue
working on the Machine translation project and Wikigadugi and MediaWiki
development off meta until Aphaia
is removed, apologizes, or ceases her harassment. I am too old and have
too much work to do on this project
to waste time with idiots.

Sincerely,

Jeff
Re: Open question from an Election Official: on voters' elibiglity [ In reply to ]
Jeffrey V. Merkey wrote:
> Ray Saintonge wrote:
>

>>Jeffrey V. Merkey wrote:

>>>(voting == demoncracy on most planets in this solar system)
>>>

>>I'm glad to see that you believe that voting is a rule by demons, and
>>not democracy. ;-)
>>
>>Ec

> It was a typo. (or perhaps a freudian slip).
>
> I just went on Wikibreak from meta due to Aphaia's constant harassment.
> I will continue
> working on the Machine translation project and Wikigadugi and MediaWiki
> development off meta until Aphaia
> is removed, apologizes, or ceases her harassment. I am too old and have
> too much work to do on this project
> to waste time with idiots.
>
> Sincerely,
>
> Jeff

Jeff,

As one of the list moderators, my finger is one inch away from the
moderator button for you. The comment above is not really acceptable.

ant

Re: Open question from an Election Official: on voters' elibiglity [ In reply to ]
On 8/26/06, Anthere <Anthere9@yahoo.com> wrote:
> As one of the list moderators, my finger is one inch away from the
> moderator button for you. The comment above is not really acceptable.

For those who've asked in the past weeks, this is another of the very
few codified reasons for moderation on this list: "incivility." I
absolutely concur.

Austin
Re: Open question from an Election Official: on voters' elibiglity [ In reply to ]
Austin Hair wrote:

>On 8/26/06, Anthere <Anthere9@yahoo.com> wrote:
>

>>As one of the list moderators, my finger is one inch away from the
>>moderator button for you. The comment above is not really acceptable.
>>

>For those who've asked in the past weeks, this is another of the very
>few codified reasons for moderation on this list: "incivility." I
>absolutely concur.
>
>Austin

Well, I won't be incivil here again. And I apologize for any outbursts.
I am after all, only human,
as we all are.

Jeff
Re: Open question from an Election Official: on voters' elibiglity [ In reply to ]
Jeffrey V. Merkey wrote:

>Austin Hair wrote:
>

>>On 8/26/06, Anthere <Anthere9@yahoo.com> wrote:
>>

>>>As one of the list moderators, my finger is one inch away from the
>>>moderator button for you. The comment above is not really acceptable.
>>>

>>For those who've asked in the past weeks, this is another of the very
>>few codified reasons for moderation on this list: "incivility." I
>>absolutely concur.
>>
>>Austin
>>

>Well, I won't be incivil here again. And I apologize for any outbursts.
>I am after all, only human,
>as we all are.
>
>Jeff

And I am not going to try to vote in the election or raise any more
stink about it. I have too much other important work to
do for our Wikipedia projects for language preservation for me to become
embroiled in debates and fights which
are not focused on achieving this goal. I have several languages to
save, and this task has nothing to do with elections,
Wikimedia administration, or any other internal issues. I also have
significant resources and technical skills and I am
not dependent in any way on the Foundation or Wikia for hosting or
support (in fact its the other way around). I do have
a need for collaboration on language projects and content and licensing
and IP issues. My apologies to all involved for
loosing sight of this important task.

Jeff
Re: Open question from an Election Official: on voters' elibiglity [ In reply to ]
Sorry, a bit off-topic but I found some worthy-mentioned things on this page.
http://chr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Special:Contributions/Jeffrey_V._Merkey

To developers:
There was something wrong around August 1, when we tried to update the
sitenotice. We thought it changed globally, but apparently, not. Geni
suggested already there were other projects lacking the sitenotice.

We are going to have a global voting. I really wish every eligible
voter join the voting. All your effort to enforce our globality and to
improve our communication method will be very appreciated.

To Chrwiki:User:Jeffrey V. Merkey
I am not sure if you are reading my mail, but assuredly you are not
eligible for vote as far as you vote from this account. Further
information on vote eligibility is found at
http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Election

On 8/27/06, Jeffrey V. Merkey <jmerkey@wolfmountaingroup.com> wrote:
> Jeffrey V. Merkey wrote:
>
> >Austin Hair wrote:

> >>For those who've asked in the past weeks, this is another of the very
> >>few codified reasons for moderation on this list: "incivility." I
> >>absolutely concur.
> >>
> >>Austin
> >>

> >Well, I won't be incivil here again. And I apologize for any outbursts.
> >I am after all, only human,
> >as we all are.
> >
> >Jeff
> >

> And I am not going to try to vote in the election or raise any more
> stink about it. I have too much other important work to
> do for our Wikipedia projects for language preservation for me to become
> embroiled in debates and fights which
> are not focused on achieving this goal. I have several languages to
> save, and this task has nothing to do with elections,
> Wikimedia administration, or any other internal issues. I also have
> significant resources and technical skills and I am
> not dependent in any way on the Foundation or Wikia for hosting or
> support (in fact its the other way around). I do have
> a need for collaboration on language projects and content and licensing
> and IP issues. My apologies to all involved for
> loosing sight of this important task.
>
> Jeff

Kizu Naoko
Wikiquote: http://wikiquote.org
* vivemus, mea Lesbia, amemus *
Re: Open question from an Election Official: on voters' elibiglity [ In reply to ]
Aphaia wrote:

>Sorry, a bit off-topic but I found some worthy-mentioned things on this page.
>http://chr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Special:Contributions/Jeffrey_V._Merkey
>
>To Chrwiki:User:Jeffrey V. Merkey
>I am not sure if you are reading my mail, but assuredly you are not
>eligible for vote as far as you vote from this account. Further
>information on vote eligibility is found at
>http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Election

It's ok Aphaia, I don't care if I get to vote or not, and I appreciate
you taking the time to
review I **ACTUALLY** have been doing something of useful editing for
the Foundation.

I apologize for blowing up at you and I hope you can forgive me.

All my love,

Jeff
Re: Open question from an Election Official: on voters' elibiglity [ In reply to ]
Jeffrey V. Merkey wrote:

>Aphaia wrote:
>

>>Sorry, a bit off-topic but I found some worthy-mentioned things on this page.
>>http://chr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Special:Contributions/Jeffrey_V._Merkey

I have been doing most of my edits on the Cherokee Wikipedia from here
actually (I forgot my password and have to email it:

http://chr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Special:Contributions/71.199.56.14

http://chr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Special:Contributions/24.10.174.164

http://chr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Special:Contributions/70.103.108.66

http://chr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Special:Contributions/71.199.40.68

Jeff

Re: Open question from an Election Official: on voters' elibiglity [ In reply to ]
Jeffrey V. Merkey wrote:

>Jeffrey V. Merkey wrote:
>

>>Aphaia wrote:
>>

>>>Sorry, a bit off-topic but I found some worthy-mentioned things on this page.
>>>http://chr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Special:Contributions/Jeffrey_V._Merkey
>>>

>I have been doing most of my edits on the Cherokee Wikipedia from here
>actually (I forgot my password and have to email it:

Oops, this one actually.

http://chr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Special:Contributions/71.199.56.15

:-)

Jeff

Re: Open question from an Election Official: on voters' elibiglity [ In reply to ]

>>I have been doing most of my edits on the Cherokee Wikipedia from here
>>actually (I forgot my password and have to email it:
>>

>http://chr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Special:Contributions/71.199.56.15
>http://chr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Special:Contributions/24.10.174.164
>
>http://chr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Special:Contributions/70.103.108.66
>
>http://chr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Special:Contributions/71.199.40.68

If you checkuser the Jeffrey_V._Merkey account on the Cherokee Wkipedia,
you will find it matches these IP addresses. They all resolve to utah
comcast.net and the 70.103.108.66 is a shared IP gateway at solera
networks (a company I owned before I sold it) and this address is shared
by about 20 folks at my office. It's just easier when I complete article
translations on WikiGadugi to post them to the Cherokee Wikipedia from
my ip ranges rather
than login to the Cherokee Wikipedia - since I am the only editing it
with actual content at present. Jeff