several days and the admin has not been desysopped. I don't have any
evidence of this right now and am trusting the user's words as a
steward is needed *now*.

Thanks,
Xy

--
—Xyrael ~ <xyr>
sean@silentflame.com | xyrael.net
Re: Emergency on Wiktionary [ In reply to ]
On 07/08/06, Sean Whitton <sean@silentflame.com> wrote:

> According to IRC user Connel, there is a rogue admin loose on the
> English Wiktionary and several dangerous actions have been performed
> (main page deletion, open proxy unblocks etc.). A RfP has been up for
> several days and the admin has not been desysopped. I don't have any
> evidence of this right now and am trusting the user's words as a
> steward is needed *now*.
>
> Thanks,
> Xy
>
> --
> —Xyrael ~ <xyr>
> sean@silentflame.com | xyrael.net

Evidence enough at

http://en.wiktionary.org/w/index.php?title=Special%3ALog&type=&user=Dangherous&page=

With this in mind, I've been thinking whether it would be wise to have some
kind of feature that disallows admins from unblocking themselves and while
blocked not being able to perform admin actions.

Cheers,
Wildrick
http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/User:Vildricianus
Re: Emergency on Wiktionary [ In reply to ]
That already is true, at least one part. Admins are not allowed to protect,
move, or delete pages if there's an outstanding block on the account, and
they are not allowed to rollback while blocked either. However, the
block/unblock feature was left to allow administrators to unblock themselves
in case they found themselves on the receiving end of an AOL autoblock or
something similar.

Titoxd.

Re: Emergency on Wiktionary [ In reply to ]
I would say that this feature should remain - they shouldn't be an
admin at all if they get blocked and start using their powers
irresponsibly. Because this kind of incident is rare and isolated, the
steward response of dropping the sysop flag worked to stop it
spreading further. IMO, this system works quite well.

Re: Emergency on Wiktionary [ In reply to ]
On 09/08/06, Sean Whitton <sean@silentflame.com> wrote:

> the steward response of dropping the sysop flag worked to stop it
> spreading further.

Actually not. There weren't any stewards around and the perpetrator remained
sysopped for a full day, doing hundreds of random blocks and unblocks. We
had to wait for developer intervention to remove the flag in the database.
Quite a nonperformance for the otherwise well-functioning steward team.
We'll take Wikimania as a good excuse :-)

Re: Emergency on Wiktionary [ In reply to ]
On 8/9/06, Wildrick Steele <wildrick.steele@gmail.com> wrote:
> Actually not. There weren't any stewards around and the perpetrator remained
> sysopped for a full day, doing hundreds of random blocks and unblocks. We
> had to wait for developer intervention to remove the flag in the database.
> Quite a nonperformance for the otherwise well-functioning steward team.
> We'll take Wikimania as a good excuse :-)

Wikimania may have been part of the problem. Also, the request at
http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Requests_for_permissions#Removal_of_access
seems to have been lost amongst the noise of dozens of other requests,
which for some reason, no longer get immediately archived, so it's not
easy to see whether or not there are outstanding requests. Perhaps
moving urgent requests to a separate section at the top would help in
future. There is a (not-very-active) IRC channel at
#wikimedia-stewards, but the #wikimedia channel is often a better
place to find a steward in an emergency. I don't know whether either
of these channels were tried before finding a developer.

This might just be a sign that new steward elections are required.

Angela.
Re: Emergency on Wiktionary [ In reply to ]
Angela wrote:

>On 8/9/06, Wildrick Steele <wildrick.steele@gmail.com> wrote:
>

>>Actually not. There weren't any stewards around and the perpetrator remained
>>sysopped for a full day, doing hundreds of random blocks and unblocks. We
>>had to wait for developer intervention to remove the flag in the database.
>>Quite a nonperformance for the otherwise well-functioning steward team.
>>We'll take Wikimania as a good excuse :-)
>>

>Wikimania may have been part of the problem. Also, the request at
>http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Requests_for_permissions#Removal_of_access
>seems to have been lost amongst the noise of dozens of other requests,
>which for some reason, no longer get immediately archived, so it's not
>easy to see whether or not there are outstanding requests. Perhaps
>moving urgent requests to a separate section at the top would help in
>future. There is a (not-very-active) IRC channel at
>#wikimedia-stewards, but the #wikimedia channel is often a better
>place to find a steward in an emergency. I don't know whether either
>of these channels were tried before finding a developer.
>
>This might just be a sign that new steward elections are required.
>
>Angela.

You should desysop any blocked admin until their block expires as a
matter of policy by instrumenting it in the software as
an explicit action with a flag placed by their name in the database. If
they are admins they should not
be getting blocked explicitly. It's an easy matter to identify admin
accounts and flag them if they are explicitly blocked as
opposed to getting caught in IP autoblock ranges and other sanctions.

IMHO.

Jeff
Re: Emergency on Wiktionary [ In reply to ]
Angela schreef:
[cut]

> easy to see whether or not there are outstanding requests. Perhaps
> moving urgent requests to a separate section at the top would help in
> future. There is a (not-very-active) IRC channel at
> #wikimedia-stewards, but the #wikimedia channel is often a better
> place to find a steward in an emergency. I don't know whether either
> of these channels were tried before finding a developer.
>
> This might just be a sign that new steward elections are required.
>
> Angela.

I do not think there are to few stewards but it is to difficult to find one.

That can be fixt more or less. IRC is the best hope I think to contact a
steward if needed.

1) the stewards need to be online on IRC and best also in the
#wikimedia-stewards channel

-> I will send a message to the stewards to ask to also be in the
#wikimedia-stewards channel when the can. Some will probably not even
really know of the channel.
And to add there IRC Nick to;
http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Stewards#Active_stewards

2) Making it more easy for the users to get in that channel. I have
added #wikimedia-stewards to the list of channels you can go to from
http://chat.wikizine.org and included links to in from the steward and
request for permissions page

3) On the IRC channel of the dutch wikipedia there is a bot active to
get the attention of the sysops when a user has a problem. The user
enters a command ( !mod ) and then the bot posts the names of all the
active sysops online. The then get probably a warning from there
IRC-client that there name is posted and some come to see what the
problem is. The bot operator is on holiday now. I can ask him of he can
provide a similar service for the stewards.

--
Contact: walter AT wikizine DOT org
Wikizine.org - news for and about the Wikimedia community

Re: Emergency on Wiktionary [ In reply to ]
Angela wrote:

>On 8/9/06, Wildrick Steele <wildrick.steele@gmail.com> wrote:
>

>>Actually not. There weren't any stewards around and the perpetrator remained
>>sysopped for a full day, doing hundreds of random blocks and unblocks. We
>>had to wait for developer intervention to remove the flag in the database.
>>Quite a nonperformance for the otherwise well-functioning steward team.
>>We'll take Wikimania as a good excuse :-)
>>

>Wikimania may have been part of the problem. Also, the request at
>http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Requests_for_permissions#Removal_of_access
>seems to have been lost amongst the noise of dozens of other requests,
>which for some reason, no longer get immediately archived, so it's not
>easy to see whether or not there are outstanding requests. Perhaps
>moving urgent requests to a separate section at the top would help in
>future. There is a (not-very-active) IRC channel at
>#wikimedia-stewards, but the #wikimedia channel is often a better
>place to find a steward in an emergency. I don't know whether either
>of these channels were tried before finding a developer.
>
>This might just be a sign that new steward elections are required.

The other possibility would be to give bureaucrats the power to de-sysop.

Fortunately, these rogue sysops are uncommon, but bureaucrats are more
often in a position to act quickly when this sort of activity happens.
It would also be handy to have this available for de-sysopping inactive
admins; the latter can also be reactivated on request without the need
for votes or other complicated community processes.

While it is also possible that there can be rogue bureaucrats, these
will be proportionally rarer than rogue admins. Anyone who has become a
bureaucrat has a very high degree of trust in the community, and
especially in relatively larger communities there is sufficient
oversight to prevent the abuses that may be more common with the
untested bureaucrats of tiny communities. Speaking arbitrarily, one
could define a larger community, as one with at least 50,000 articles
and/or 2 active bureaucrats.

Ec

Re: Emergency on Wiktionary [ In reply to ]
Ray Saintonge schreef:
[cut]
> While it is also possible that there can be rogue bureaucrats, these
> will be proportionally rarer than rogue admins. Anyone who has become a
> bureaucrat has a very high degree of trust in the community, and
> especially in relatively larger communities there is sufficient
> oversight to prevent the abuses that may be more common with the
> untested bureaucrats of tiny communities. Speaking arbitrarily, one
> could define a larger community, as one with at least 50,000 articles
> and/or 2 active bureaucrats.
>
> Ec

Not all wikis are the same. You can not project the situation of EN to
all other wikis.

I have just done a de-sysop/de-bureaucrat on the Serbian Wikpedia. There
the have (now) 40 sysops and of those 25 are bureaucrat.

That is from my POV an irresponsible number of bureaucrats. I do not
know how many active user there are. The have 34700 articles.

Re: Emergency on Wiktionary [ In reply to ]
On 8/10/06, Walter Vermeir <walter@wikipedia.be> wrote:
> Not all wikis are the same. You can not project the situation of EN to
> all other wikis.
>
> I have just done a de-sysop/de-bureaucrat on the Serbian Wikpedia. There
> the have (now) 40 sysops and of those 25 are bureaucrat.
>
> That is from my POV an irresponsible number of bureaucrats. I do not
> know how many active user there are. The have 34700 articles.

I have long been concerned about srwiki, ever since I had one of their
admins try to get me deadminned on English for refusing to support the
"consensus of admins on srwiki" with regard to a content issue on
enwiki. It disturbs me that srwiki's admins act as judge and jury on
content, and especially since (to my untrained eye) they seem to be
acting to push a pro-Serbian point of view. Perhaps the situation is
not as unsavory as my brief encounter suggests, but I do think that it
is unacceptable for ANY language edition of Wikipedia to abrogate
NPOV, especially in the interest of nationalistic politics.

Kelly
Re: Emergency on Wiktionary [ In reply to ]
Kelly Martin wrote:
> I have long been concerned about srwiki, ever since I had one of their
> admins try to get me deadminned on English for refusing to support the
> "consensus of admins on srwiki" with regard to a content issue on
> enwiki.
I wonder who that might be. Seriously, who was it?
> It disturbs me that srwiki's admins act as judge and jury on
> content, and especially since (to my untrained eye) they seem to be
> acting to push a pro-Serbian point of view. Perhaps the situation is
> not as unsavory as my brief encounter suggests, but I do think that it
> is unacceptable for ANY language edition of Wikipedia to abrogate
> NPOV, especially in the interest of nationalistic politics.
>
> Kelly

That is not entirely true. There are some nationalistic things here and
there as there are in every Wikipedia, but admins do not dictate POVs.
There are many political differences between the admins, but still the
project is pretty NPOV if you ask me. On the other hand, political and
whatnot flamewars can emerge if there are trolls that ignite them and
unfortunately, we've had a couple of them recently.
All in all, I wouldn't be concerned :D

Filip
Re: Emergency on Wiktionary [ In reply to ]
I'm replying to myself now

Filip Maljkovic wrote:
> Kelly Martin wrote:
>> I have long been concerned about srwiki, ever since I had one of their
>> admins try to get me deadminned on English for refusing to support the
>> "consensus of admins on srwiki" with regard to a content issue on
>> enwiki.
> I wonder who that might be. Seriously, who was it?
I've just found out. It's Bormalagurski, the guy who did this whole
shenanigan (i.e. he was desysopped a couple of weeks ago and he's the
one who started this scandal at meta.) The guy is a notorious liar and
he's been scolded for representing the community all by himself in a
mischievous way. Anyway, we're about to block him indef. and he should
not be listened to. I mean, I don't want you to get the wrong impression
about our community. The guy is a nutjob and cannot represent a
community (just like any other person).

Filip
Re: Emergency on Wiktionary [ In reply to ]
Walter Vermeir wrote:

>Ray Saintonge schreef:
>[cut]
>

>>While it is also possible that there can be rogue bureaucrats, these
>>will be proportionally rarer than rogue admins. Anyone who has become a
>>bureaucrat has a very high degree of trust in the community, and
>>especially in relatively larger communities there is sufficient
>>oversight to prevent the abuses that may be more common with the
>>untested bureaucrats of tiny communities. Speaking arbitrarily, one
>>could define a larger community, as one with at least 50,000 articles
>>and/or 2 active bureaucrats.
>>
>>Ec
>>

>Not all wikis are the same. You can not project the situation of EN to
>all other wikis.
>
>I have just done a de-sysop/de-bureaucrat on the Serbian Wikpedia. There
>the have (now) 40 sysops and of those 25 are bureaucrat.
>
>That is from my POV an irresponsible number of bureaucrats. I do not
>know how many active user there are. The have 34700 articles.

25 bureaucrats on such a small project doesn't make sense considering
the limited duties that are reserved for bureaucrats. Still it's up to
the sr community to sort that one out.

Ec

Re: Emergency on Wiktionary [ In reply to ]
On 8/7/06, Wildrick Steele <wildrick.steele@gmail.com> wrote:
> With this in mind, I've been thinking whether it would be wise to have some
> kind of feature that disallows admins from unblocking themselves and while
> blocked not being able to perform admin actions.

I think there are at least 2 ways of doing this within the current
softwear setup. The simplest would probably be to have a bot repeate
ban them every few seconds.

--
geni
Re: Emergency on Wiktionary [ In reply to ]
Ray Saintonge wrote:
> Walter Vermeir wrote:
>

>> Ray Saintonge schreef:
>> [cut]
>>

>>> While it is also possible that there can be rogue bureaucrats, these
>>> will be proportionally rarer than rogue admins. Anyone who has become a
>>> bureaucrat has a very high degree of trust in the community, and
>>> especially in relatively larger communities there is sufficient
>>> oversight to prevent the abuses that may be more common with the
>>> untested bureaucrats of tiny communities. Speaking arbitrarily, one
>>> could define a larger community, as one with at least 50,000 articles
>>> and/or 2 active bureaucrats.
>>>
>>> Ec
>>>

>> Not all wikis are the same. You can not project the situation of EN to
>> all other wikis.
>>
>> I have just done a de-sysop/de-bureaucrat on the Serbian Wikpedia. There
>> the have (now) 40 sysops and of those 25 are bureaucrat.
>>
>> That is from my POV an irresponsible number of bureaucrats. I do not
>> know how many active user there are. The have 34700 articles.
>>

> 25 bureaucrats on such a small project doesn't make sense considering
> the limited duties that are reserved for bureaucrats. Still it's up to
> the sr community to sort that one out.
>
> Ec

The fact that we have that many bureaucrats comes from our character as
a community: up until recently we've been pretty open and hadn't made a
big deal out of administrators and bureaucrats. But now, with what's
been happening recently, I think that there's a consensus that we should
reduce the number of bureaucrats to a minimum (5 or so) that would carry
out the bureaucrat tasks when they are asked.

Filip
Re: Emergency on Wiktionary [ In reply to ]
40 admins, 25 are bureaucrats? Yikes! I thought having 42 admins with 4
bureaucrats was a lot!

Let's see how Serbian Wikipedia works this out. I wouldn't be surprised if
they needed any outside intervention, though.

Re: Emergency on Wiktionary [ In reply to ]
On 8/12/06, James Hare <messedrocker@gmail.com> wrote:
> 40 admins, 25 are bureaucrats? Yikes! I thought having 42 admins with 4
> bureaucrats was a lot!

Certian projects tend to promote people to bureaucrat rather than
admin. Species for one.

--
geni
Re: Emergency on Wiktionary [ In reply to ]
geni wrote:
> On 8/12/06, James Hare <messedrocker@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> 40 admins, 25 are bureaucrats? Yikes! I thought having 42 admins with 4
>> bureaucrats was a lot!
>>

> Certian projects tend to promote people to bureaucrat rather than
> admin. Species for one.

In Serbian Wikipedia, on the other hand, there was a lax policy
regarding admin/bureau. promotions. Namely, after 1 month of active
contributions, you could become an admin and after 1 more month, a
bureaucrat. That has changed in the past half a year or so. Now, with
regards to some recent situations, I wouldn't be surprised if the policy
becomes ever so restrictive. I, for example, became an admin in 11 days
(fastest in sr: wikipedia). :) But that was more than a year ago...

Filip
Re: Emergency on Wiktionary [ In reply to ]
I can imagine that it works well for a lot of wiki's. As I understood
also WiktionaryZ is very easy on the behalf of making someone sysop.
And other wiki's are as well. It is very like "adminship is no big
deal". And maybe it shouldn't. But then deamminship shouldn't be a big
deal either i think. Because when someone is adminned easely, the
chance that you grab someone who doesn't fit the profile is easier,
and deadminning should be easier, so you can fix it quick as well.
I've seen little misuse of people with adminship, apart from things
like easier blocking etc. But that is something the community can and
should solve anyway. You will have the same issues on that behalf when
s.o. is after a hard procedure admin.
And regarding bureaucrat, that shouldn't be a big deal either maybe.
Because a sysop is supposed to be trusted, the bureaucrat is as well.
As long as you watch closely what each bc is doing.

greetings, Lodewijk

Re: Emergency on Wiktionary [ In reply to ]
Hoi,
As WiktionaryZ is dragged into this discussion, let me explain how it is
at this moment. At this moment we have people edit WiktionaryZ that we
trust / know / come recomended / ask. We are at this time in a pre-alpha
stage, we do not have versioning, being an admin is not a big thing.
Being able to edit is. When someone proves that he either does not
understand the concept of what we are trying to do. When someone does
not communicate his/her concerns and makes a mess, we will protect our
data and revoke the edit right. The admin right goes with it.

We have been clear about this notion. We do not want to discuss this
really as it is not compatible with the state of our project. The notion
of having to watch closely is in my mind problematic because by arguing
that this is needed, there will always be people that either think that
it is there place to complain and want things different even though they
have no knowledge about a project (assume that everything is like
Wikipedia).

Every project has it's own way of doing things. WiktionaryZ is different
because not only is it a project where we are in a pre-alpha state, it
is also a project where we aim to have people from all nationalities and
languages work together. This requires that things are particular to
WiktionaryZ. We welcome people to contribute to WiktionaryZ. We ask to
be judged on what we are and what we do and not to be judged by what
some consider "normal".

Thanks,
GerardM

Re: Emergency on Wiktionary [ In reply to ]
On 8/9/06, Angela <beesley@gmail.com> wrote:

> This might just be a sign that new steward elections are required.

I've thought this since *at least* May, when I ran stats and found that Jon
Harald Soby was responsible for roughly 40% of all steward actions in April
& May. The fact that a good number of our stewards also hold other positions
(developer, Board, CFO, Office) makes it difficult for them to really be
active in the day-to-day steward work, though they definately have need for
the access. I'd like to see new steward elections very soon, though the
Board election may make that difficult.

Essjay
-----
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:Essjay
Wikipedia:The Free Encyclopedia
http://www.wikipedia.org/
Re: Emergency on Wiktionary [ In reply to ]
On 8/14/06, - Essjay - <essjaywiki@gmail.com> wrote:
> I'd like to see new steward elections very soon, though the
> Board election may make that difficult.

I think it would be a good idea to hold a call for new stewards after
the conclusion of the board elections.

Kelly