Mailing List Archive

Re: Update on ombudsman issue [ In reply to ]
On 7/20/06, George Herbert <george.herbert@gmail.com> wrote:
> I would like to second this. Why were people so willing to advocate
> shoving User:Ombudsman around with official power or sanctions on this
> issue?

Because, apparantly, the name Ombudman would be confusing. People may
think that is the official ombudsman. Andrew Lih above fell into that.
That's why I suggested the can't-be-missed box on his user page.
--LV
Re: Update on ombudsman issue [ In reply to ]
The box would be good, but we shouldn't force him to change his handle.
Maybe a box like on User:Jesus_On_Wheels saying that he isn't the real
ombudsman and the real one is at User:Wikimedia_Ombudsman.

Re: Update on ombudsman issue [ In reply to ]
On 7/20/06, Lord Voldemort <lordbishopvoldemort@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 7/20/06, George Herbert <george.herbert@gmail.com> wrote:
> > I would like to second this. Why were people so willing to advocate
> > shoving User:Ombudsman around with official power or sanctions on this
> > issue?
>
> Because, apparantly, the name Ombudman would be confusing. People may
> think that is the official ombudsman. Andrew Lih above fell into that.
> That's why I suggested the can't-be-missed box on his user page.

There is a difference between "Your user account was not previously a
problem or conflict with official Wikipedia functions, but is now, we
need to officially ask you to change it or put up a disclaimer on your
User page" and "Hey, let's all go force a name change on this guy
because he didn't cooperate before".

That there may need to be a change and/or disclaimer is reasonably
obvious now. There is zero justification in that necessity for any
abuse of User:Ombudsman. They weren't violating policy before when
they refused to change their name. Beating them up now for having
previously stood up for their rights is inappropriate.

That there were discussions of forced changes or a permanent ban
before anyone sent a polite note to them explaining that Things had
Changed is a terrible, terrible shame for this mailing list...

--
-george william herbert
george.herbert@gmail.com
Re: Update on ombudsman issue [ In reply to ]
But is the box, which would link to the true ombudsman, be a good idea?

Re: Update on ombudsman issue [ In reply to ]
On 7/20/06, George Herbert <george.herbert@gmail.com> wrote:
> There is a difference between "Your user account was not previously a
> problem or conflict with official Wikipedia functions, but is now, we
> need to officially ask you to change it or put up a disclaimer on your
> User page" and "Hey, let's all go force a name change on this guy
> because he didn't cooperate before".
>
> That there may need to be a change and/or disclaimer is reasonably
> obvious now. There is zero justification in that necessity for any
> abuse of User:Ombudsman. They weren't violating policy before when
> they refused to change their name. Beating them up now for having
> previously stood up for their rights is inappropriate.
>
> That there were discussions of forced changes or a permanent ban
> before anyone sent a polite note to them explaining that Things had
> Changed is a terrible, terrible shame for this mailing list...

Well, one, my proposal didn't include banning him if he cooperated. It
did include asking him nicely (both for the name change and for the
disclaimer). It would be a way _around_ a forced name change. Two,
this mailing list is open, and User:Ombudsman is more than welcome to
read it. We're not trying to hide anything by discussing it here.
--LV
Re: Update on ombudsman issue [ In reply to ]
On 7/20/06, James Hare <messedrocker@gmail.com> wrote:
> But is the box, which would link to the true ombudsman, be a good idea?

There is (now) a legitimate policy issue with his username, I guess.

I think it's entirely appropriate to ask him again if he'll
voluntarily change his account name, and if not then it's entirely
appropriate to insist that he allow a disclaimer/pointer box to the
Wikipedia Ombudsman at the top of his homepage, given the new
possibility of user confusion of him and an official function.

I'm just unhappy with the immediately draconian proposed responses as
opposed to starting with constructive polite requests, with a couple
of options we can talk with him about. There was no call for
threatening to nuke him rather than asking nicely.

--
-george william herbert
george.herbert@gmail.com
Re: Update on ombudsman issue [ In reply to ]
On 7/20/06, Lord Voldemort <lordbishopvoldemort@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 7/20/06, George Herbert <george.herbert@gmail.com> wrote:
> > I would like to second this. Why were people so willing to advocate
> > shoving User:Ombudsman around with official power or sanctions on this
> > issue?
>
> Because, apparantly, the name Ombudman would be confusing. People may
> think that is the official ombudsman. Andrew Lih above fell into that.
> That's why I suggested the can't-be-missed box on his user page.
> --LV

So call the ombudsman something else. User:Ombudsman had the name first, right?

Ombudsman is a sexist title anyway.

Anthony
Re: Update on ombudsman issue [ In reply to ]
On 20/07/06, Anthony <wikilegal@inbox.org> wrote:
> So call the ombudsman something else. User:Ombudsman had the name first, right?
>
> Ombudsman is a sexist title anyway.

Ombudsperson, perhaps?

PS. I left a note on the user's talk page.

--
Oldak Quill (oldakquill@gmail.com)
Re: Update on ombudsman issue [ In reply to ]
Andrew Lih wrote:
> On 7/21/06, Oldak Quill <oldakquill@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>>>PS : is it a good idea to have a user named ombudsman ?
>>
>>I don't think the name "User:Ombudsman" instantly strikes someone as
>>an official position. In Britain, the position "Ombudsman" tends to be
>>reserved as a governmental complaints mechanism and watchdog on
>>trading standards and banking.
>

> Well, when I ran into the name User:Ombudsman recently, I thought the WMF
> had found someone to fill that role. But alas it was not true.

Which role would you think such a person should hold ? Can you give some
examples of what he would be supposed to do ?

Ant

Re: Update on ombudsman issue [ In reply to ]
On 7/20/06, Anthere <Anthere9@yahoo.com> wrote:
> Which role would you think such a person should hold ? Can you give some
> examples of what he would be supposed to do ?
>
> Ant

At various times various roles have been suggested and given the title
Ombudsman. The most recent idea I've run across was for some kind of
oversight watch but I tend to feel that should be handled differently.

--
geni
Re: Update on ombudsman issue [ In reply to ]
Would this ombudsman be a role account?

Re: Update on ombudsman issue [ In reply to ]
On 7/20/06, James Hare <messedrocker@gmail.com> wrote:
> Would this ombudsman be a role account?

Of course not.. which is why this discussion is rather silly.

We've got a user with a name that conflicts with the role you're
discussing... so change the name of the role.

None of us should be left to worry that someday a role will be created
which might be confused with our names and that we'll be forced to
accept a name change.
Re: Update on ombudsman issue [ In reply to ]
According to Wikipedia, an ombudsman is a government representative chosen
by the people. Perhaps we could name this position "Wikipedia
Representative"?

Re: Update on ombudsman issue [ In reply to ]
On 21/07/06, James Hare <messedrocker@gmail.com> wrote:
> According to Wikipedia, an ombudsman is a government representative chosen
> by the people. Perhaps we could name this position "Wikipedia
> Representative"?

It's sounding more and more like a position I don't think Wikipedia should have.
Re: Update on ombudsman issue [ In reply to ]
On 7/21/06, Oldak Quill <oldakquill@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 21/07/06, James Hare <messedrocker@gmail.com> wrote:
> > According to Wikipedia, an ombudsman is a government representative chosen
> > by the people. Perhaps we could name this position "Wikipedia
> > Representative"?
>
> It's sounding more and more like a position I don't think Wikipedia should have.

We already do at board level. At wikipedia it is what arbcom may
become if we are not careful

--
geni
Re: Update on ombudsman issue [ In reply to ]
On 7/21/06, Essjay <essjaywiki@gmail.com> wrote:
> Oldak Quill wrote:
> >> I may have been mislead on this (not a good situation for the bureaucrat
> >> doing 95% of the namechanges on en.wiki) but my understanding is that
> >> en.wiki does not permit forced name changes.

I thought it just required an RfC to change a name, not an arbitration case.

Anyway, unless the users Wikimedia's ombudspeople are going to use
that account, I don't see a reason to change it, and I wasn't aware of
any plan for those people to have a role account. They can do until
their own usernames. Also, the position is specifically for
"ombudsperson checkuser", so "ombudsman" would be too general and
could give the impression they're an ombudsperson for all activities
on the wiki, not just for the checkuser role.

Angela.
Re: Update on ombudsman issue [ In reply to ]
Oldak Quill wrote:

>>PS : is it a good idea to have a user named ombudsman ?
>>

>I don't think the name "User:Ombudsman" instantly strikes someone as
>an official position. In Britain, the position "Ombudsman" tends to be
>reserved as a governmental complaints mechanism and watchdog on
>trading standards and banking.

An alternative usage for this term that I've seen is for somebody who
offers legal advise, often free or pro-bono, to members of a community
or organization. Usually this is something that is often
topic-specific, for example this use here:

http://www.ombudsman.ed.gov/

where the U.S. Dept. of Education has a legal team to help cut through
the red tape on student loan and aid programs for U.S. citizens.

I think something like this would be useful to help cut through the red
tape of copyright and trademark issues that keep coming up for Wikimedia
projects. The problem here would be who would be willing to serve in
this capacity. And this is also something that simply should not be
elected, as you would have specific legal qualification that would be
necessary to do something like this effectively.

This, I admit, is also a completely different kind of a position than
the one originally suggested by Angela and worthy of a seperate thread,
having nothing to do with the checkuser issue.

--
Robert Scott Horning

Re: Update on ombudsman issue [ In reply to ]
Robert Scott Horning wrote:
> Oldak Quill wrote:
>

>>>PS : is it a good idea to have a user named ombudsman ?
>>>

>>I don't think the name "User:Ombudsman" instantly strikes someone as
>>an official position. In Britain, the position "Ombudsman" tends to be
>>reserved as a governmental complaints mechanism and watchdog on
>>trading standards and banking.
>>

> An alternative usage for this term that I've seen is for somebody who
> offers legal advise, often free or pro-bono, to members of a community
> or organization. Usually this is something that is often
> topic-specific, for example this use here:
>
> http://www.ombudsman.ed.gov/
>
> where the U.S. Dept. of Education has a legal team to help cut through
> the red tape on student loan and aid programs for U.S. citizens.

Nod. And my question to Andrew (who implied an ombudsman would be a good
thing for the Foundation) still is "what would be the role of that
ombudsman".

> I think something like this would be useful to help cut through the red
> tape of copyright and trademark issues that keep coming up for Wikimedia
> projects. The problem here would be who would be willing to serve in
> this capacity. And this is also something that simply should not be
> elected, as you would have specific legal qualification that would be
> necessary to do something like this effectively.
>
> This, I admit, is also a completely different kind of a position than
> the one originally suggested by Angela and worthy of a seperate thread,
> having nothing to do with the checkuser issue.

Anthere. Not Angela.
We are two different people. If you come to Wikimania (I hope you do),
you'll see we are two different bodies, with different opinions and
different focus. After two years, I am still not used to see my job
being gathered under "what Jimbo is doing" or under "Angela has
said/Angela has done/Angela has suggested". I know it is not meant to
belittle me, but still, I would prefer that you give to Cesar, Cesar's
pants and to Cleopatre, Cleopatre's dress.

I have had the checkuser status since its beginning. I received several
complaints for abuse (generally not justified). I studied these
complaints, as confronted to the Foundation privacy policy. I am today
trying to delegate this to others (thus proposing the creation of an
ombudsman commission).

The benefits would be
1) complaints explored by neutral people (rather than a party)
2) complaints hopefully handled in a more timely fashion
3) more free time for me :-)

Angela has never been involved in checkuser issues.

I really think we need this to be "independant" party.

Some might argue that a party can not be fully independant if appointed
by the board, which is kinda correct. But I believe the people chosen
for now are rather uncontroversial people. IF this resolution ever pass
and IF the community has a complain with the people chosen, I'll be fine
with you guys voting/nominating new names. I mostly want for now the
concept to be validated by the board and the thing to get running.

ant

Re: Update on ombudsman issue [ In reply to ]
Anthere wrote:

>>This, I admit, is also a completely different kind of a position than
>>the one originally suggested by Angela and worthy of a seperate thread,
>>having nothing to do with the checkuser issue.
>>

>Anthere. Not Angela.
>We are two different people.

I apologize on this issue. I tried to look in the e-mail stack (there
has been a bunch of stuff here on this topic) and I thought it was
Angela who proposed this based on some earlier comments. I should have
dug a little deeper here on this issue before I named names.

>If you come to Wikimania (I hope you do),

I would love to come, but time and money are going to make it difficult
for me this year. Perhaps next year? Being in North America helps for
me, but it is in the wrong end of North America for me to make it
easily. Like the distance from Siberia to Paris if you want to compare
to Europe.

Please note that I was trying to explain what an ombudsman was, and
perhaps what a board-appointed one would be like, although admittedly in
a very different area from the proposal related to check user status.

>I have had the checkuser status since its beginning. I received several
>complaints for abuse (generally not justified). I studied these
>complaints, as confronted to the Foundation privacy policy. I am today
>trying to delegate this to others (thus proposing the creation of an
>ombudsman commission).
>
>The benefits would be
>1) complaints explored by neutral people (rather than a party)
>2) complaints hopefully handled in a more timely fashion
>3) more free time for me :-)
>
>I really think we need this to be "independant" party.

I think in this situation, if you want to encourage independence, you
need to change it to a broader issue than just checkuser issues. The
whole reason for the parnoia over being really stingy regarding
checkuser issues is mainly dealing with the Wikimedia Foundation privacy
policy and potential violations of that policy. It is indeed in these
violations, and other privacy issues unrelated to checkuser scans, that
is the main concern about why such an ombudsman would be necessary. And
this should be something board appointed if we are talking somebody who
understands throughally both the meaning and intent of the privacy
policy, as well as the legal implications if people with access to
private information violate this policy.

The Privacy Policy Ombudsman would also be a good point of contact if
there is a legal issue that comes up that requires disclosure of private
user information, covered in the privacy policy. This would be like in
a libel lawsuit involving a Wikimedia user where there is a court order
to disclose the IP address and other information about a user who made
an edit. Also, if some user thinks information about themselves is
improperly being disclosed, either through a check user scan or like has
been done on Wikibooks for publishing author information, that user can
seek an independent and authoritative legal opinion about the issue and
even recommend to project admins or stewards to take action correcting
the problem.

Because this is a legal position, there are obviously specific
requirements that somebody must meet before they can be in this
position. For that reason alone, I think it would be better to be an
appointed position through the Wikimedia Foundation. The fact that the
privacy policy is also a Wikimedia Foundation policy rather than an
individual project policy also reinforces this aspect of being an
appointed position.

--
Robert Scott Horning