Mailing List Archive

Printed on Demand Books from Wikipedia articles
Hi everybody,

as the title suggests I would like to introduce a website to the
wikimedia community that offers books consisting of wikipedia articles
that areprinted on demand. The unique feature is that every user can
individually pick arbitrary articles from the wikipedia (currently only
from the english version) and add them to his book. Once the user is
satisfied with the book's content, he can download a pdf-preview and
check how the book will look like when printed. The last step is to
order the book and get a unique encyclopedia containing only selected
wikipedia articles.

The service is located at http://www.pediapress.com and has not yet been
publicly announced.

I would like to know the opinion of the wikimedia community about this
service, since I am aware of the fact that a couple of copyright and
also "moral" issues are related to selling wikipedia content.

Some of these issues are pointed out in the thread "Offering Wikibooks
content for sale"
(http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/wiki/foundation/63024).

I would like to give you some details about our efforts to comply with
the GFDL and also the spirit of the wikipedia content and community:

* on the pediapress.com website and in the printed books it is clearly
stated that all articles have their origin in the wikipedia project

* below each article a link (in case of the book the plain URL) to the
original wikipedia article is shown

* all principle authors are listed below an article in the book if possible

* pediapress does not generate any unnecessary traffic on wikipedia
since we use the wikipedia dumps

* we e-mailed with Angela Beesley (member of the Board of Trustees of
the Wikimedia Foundation) and Brad Patrick (general counsel to the
Wikimedia Foundation) who did not see anything problematic with our service

Last but not least I want to point out that the pediapress affiliate
program has the goal to generate donations to the wikimedia foundation:
after ordering a book, users have the option to publish and promote
their book. Thereby others are able to buy the published book. The
publisher receives a provision of 10% of the books price which he can
donate to the wikimedia foundation.Please note that pediapress is still
in a "beta" phase even though compiling, printing and ordering books is
perfectly possible. But since all processing and layouting is done
automatically there are still some shortcomings that will be fixed asap.

I don't want to deny that my company (brainbot technologies AG -
http://brainbot.com) and I hope that pediapress supports itself
financially. The main motivation nevertheless was to give something back
to the wikipedia community. Since me and my colleagues aren't exactly
good writers but heavy consumers of the wikipedia, we thought it would
be a better idea to try to promote the offline usage of the wikipedia by
building pediapress.

Thanks for your patience - I hope some of you check out pediapress and
post their opinions.

Volker Haas

Re: Printed on Demand Books from Wikipedia articles [ In reply to ]
"Morally", as you put it, this project raises no concerns. I would say
that it is "morally" good - using the work we have created, providing
Wikipedia in more media and raising money for Wikimedia. I wish you
the best of luck. Perhaps the only problem in this respect is that the
articles will be unedited (I assume?) and unverified. Our mistakes
will forever be distilled in ink. This is not a great concern since
there is currently no way to get 100% verified Wikipedia articles yet
anyway. Will you include a description of what Wikipedia is and a
disclaimer at the front of each book?

Legally, there are some issues to take note of. As I'm sure you know,
each book would need to contain a full copy of the GFDL 1.2 license
and would have to provide the names of a certain number of authors for
each article (as you mention in your post).

There have been some attempts at this kind of thing from within
Wikipedia. They are called "Readers" - compilations of articles (on,
say, Mammals) which are edited and presented in quite a pleasant
format. I suggest you attempt to work with the users who have worked
on Readers to get ideas for presentation/editing. It would be better
for all parties if you stay in communication with the community rather
than simply exist coldly outside.

May I ask how you are planning on printing and binding these books?
Will they be hardback or softback? What kind of presses, papers and
inks will you be using? Will you provide "template books" (like the
above readers) with precollated selections of articles on mammals or
whatnot?

Wikipedia's allowance for commercial use has always had these kind of
projects in mind. I wish you luck again and hope you keep in
communication with us.

Oldak Quill (oldakquill@gmail.com)
Re: Printed on Demand Books from Wikipedia articles [ In reply to ]
Volker,

this is very powerful stuff, and it's great that you're doing it. A
couple of technical questions:

1) Are you using the highest quality images available for the PDF
generation? Is the quality setting deliberately low?
Comparing, for instance,
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/8/8e/Chirpedpulse.jpg
with the image used in the PDF under "Wigner quasi-probability
distribution", the PDF image seems to have much more pronounced
compression artifacts.

2) What mechanism do you use to generate the PDF files? Is there any
chance that part of the software might become open source, if it isn't
already? I know many people who would be interested in this
functionality outside the context of Wikipedia.

If this service works well, from my perspective (I don't have any
Foundation authority) it would be great if this could be developed
into a larger partnership, with the project being featured prominently
on our side (perhaps in return for a larger percentage of the
profits).

Erik
Re: Printed on Demand Books from Wikipedia articles [ In reply to ]
Sorry, just a one more question (shame mailing lists don't have edit buttons!).

Will you be avoiding inclusion of fair use images? I would highly
recommend this as it is quite hard to know where you are with fair
use.

As Erik suggests, working within Wikipedia itself might be useful,
might I suggest that you operate transparently. What I mean by this is
that you tell us that you have had an order for a book and the client
has specified a particular list of articles. Knowing this we can help
you select the best versions of the article from the history, edit
these versions for spelling and grammar, help you remove fallacious
statements within these versions and help select which images to
include. If you agree with this it would be a good idea to set up a
Wiki so that this kind of editing can easily be done.

Re: Printed on Demand Books from Wikipedia articles [ In reply to ]
This is a very good idea.

Y'know, I came up with this same idea yesterday!

Re: Printed on Demand Books from Wikipedia articles [ In reply to ]
I invented something quite similar to Wikipedia back in August 2001 -
shame I didn't implement it! ;)

Re: Printed on Demand Books from Wikipedia articles [ In reply to ]
Volker Haas wrote:

>Hi everybody,
>
>as the title suggests I would like to introduce a website to the
>wikimedia community that offers books consisting of wikipedia articles
>that areprinted on demand.

I am curious how you plan to compile these books in a format that looks
good on paper and not strictly as a web format. While this can be
automated to an extent, I do think there are some issues that come from
trying to move content from a web format to a printed page, and not all
of these can be completely automated. As I havn't been able to preview
a book yet,

>* we e-mailed with Angela Beesley (member of the Board of Trustees of
>the Wikimedia Foundation) and Brad Patrick (general counsel to the
>Wikimedia Foundation) who did not see anything problematic with our service.

While notifying the Wikimedia Foundation board may be demonstrating good
faith, I want to emphasis that it is not necessary to seek permission in
order to republish Wikimedia project content. The GFDL spells out the
terms and conditions quite clearly and in theory should be sufficient
for non-lawyers to get into print versions of Wikimedia content.

This does get back to the point in question that I raised with my first
posting about print versions of Wikimedia content. What should
reasonable project guidelines be for links to print versions like this?
As I've pointed out, this is but the beginning of a huge number of
request that will be coming for services like this, and telling
everybody to get their own legal counsel and duke it out in the
courtroom is not going to be a pleasant experience for anybody.

Not permitting any links to services like this might be a solution, and
encouraging independent advertising of these services outside of
Wikimedia projects as the only real advertising venue.

There is, however, some value for individuals who want to purchase print
versions and it would be logical to offer some links to printed
versions. This would be a service to our "readers" that may want to get
some added value to Wikimedia projects. Some sort of standard should be
applied *if* we permit some external links, even if of the variety like
the ISBN links to on-line booksellers. That we do offer links to
commercial services on Wikimedia projects already for books should
demonstrate at least some sort of precedence to permit reprint links as
well, as long as they are just as descrete and don't clutter up the
article/project pages.

--
Robert Scott Horning

Re: Printed on Demand Books from Wikipedia articles [ In reply to ]
Hi Oldak,

thanks for your comments!

Oldak Quill wrote:
> Perhaps the only problem in this respect is that the
> articles will be unedited (I assume?) and unverified. Our mistakes
> will forever be distilled in ink. This is not a great concern since
> there is currently no way to get 100% verified Wikipedia articles yet
> anyway.
Your assumtion is correct: all articles are not edited or verified by
us. The articles we print
are exact "copies" of the articles in the wikipedia dump we use.

> Will you include a description of what Wikipedia is and a
> disclaimer at the front of each book?

We do not give a description of what Wikipedia is. But as you have
probably seen, we clearly
state on the website and in the books that the articles are from
Wikipedia. In the footer
of the pediapress website we also link wikipedia.org. If you think that
we should include a brief
description about Wikipedia and make it more clear in the books where
the articles are from
we could try to improve on that issue.

> Legally, there are some issues to take note of. As I'm sure you know,
> each book would need to contain a full copy of the GFDL 1.2 license
> and would have to provide the names of a certain number of authors for
> each article (as you mention in your post).

The GFDL is included in every book.

> There have been some attempts at this kind of thing from within
> Wikipedia. They are called "Readers" - compilations of articles (on,
> say, Mammals) which are edited and presented in quite a pleasant
> format. I suggest you attempt to work with the users who have worked
> on Readers to get ideas for presentation/editing.
We are familiar with the Wikipedia Readers. But since all layouting of
books with pediapress
is done automatically we can't really focus on improving the
layout/presentation of individual
articles. Nonetheless we try to find "general rules" on how to improve
the layout of the books.
This is a rather hard problem - and we sometimes fail...

> It would be better
> for all parties if you stay in communication with the community rather
> than simply exist coldly outside.

It is absolutely not our intent to develop pediapress on an "isolated
island". We want to stay in
touch with the community for the mutual benefit.

> May I ask how you are planning on printing and binding these books?

The books are printed by Instabook (http://www.instabook.net/). You can
find more infos
on our info site or their website ;-)
http://pediapress.com/info/

> Will they be hardback or softback?
Softback with glossy finish.

> Will you provide "template books" (like the
> above readers) with precollated selections of articles on mammals or
> whatnot?

We will not provide "template books". On the main page of pediapress we
feature a couple
of books. These books were ordered by pediapress users and chosen by us
to be featured.
The featured books are also not edited in any way. Featured books are
books that have
been "published" by users who have ordered the book.
More info on publishing books can be found at
http://pediapress.com/info/#affiliate

> Wikipedia's allowance for commercial use has always had these kind of
> projects in mind. I wish you luck again and hope you keep in
> communication with us.

Thanks again for the comments! I hope I could answer your questions in a
satisfactory manner!

- Volker

Re: Printed on Demand Books from Wikipedia articles [ In reply to ]
Hi Erik,

I also thank you for the comments and questions!

Erik Moeller wrote:
> 1) Are you using the highest quality images available for the PDF
> generation? Is the quality setting deliberately low?
> Comparing, for instance,
> http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/8/8e/Chirpedpulse.jpg
> with the image used in the PDF under "Wigner quasi-probability
> distribution", the PDF image seems to have much more pronounced
> compression artifacts.

We always try using the best image available (in terms of resolution).
Currently we restrict
the resolution of the images in the book to 150 dpi. This is done to
prevent the pdfs to get
to large. However, the example you provided indicates that this might be
to low. We will
check that and decide if we increase the maximum resolution.
> 2) What mechanism do you use to generate the PDF files?
We implemented a mediawiki parser from scratch. The result of the
parsing process is
an intermediate format that then gets transformed to latex (for the
books) and to html
for displaying the articles on the pediapress website. As you probably
guess, this is a
non-trivial process - to be precise: it's a rather difficult challenge ;-)

> Is there any
> chance that part of the software might become open source, if it isn't
> already?
So far it is not planned to release the parser software as open source.
But if we can figure out
a good cooperation model we can talk about that in the future.

> I know many people who would be interested in this
> functionality outside the context of Wikipedia.
>
> If this service works well, from my perspective (I don't have any
> Foundation authority) it would be great if this could be developed
> into a larger partnership, with the project being featured prominently
> on our side (perhaps in return for a larger percentage of the
> profits).

We would be happy if the pediapress project would result in a
partnership with the wikimedia
foundation. I currently do not know how the details of such a
partnership would "look like" -
but we are absolutely open to discussion in that matter.

Re: Printed on Demand Books from Wikipedia articles [ In reply to ]
Hi Oldak

Oldak Quill wrote:
> Will you be avoiding inclusion of fair use images? I would highly
> recommend this as it is quite hard to know where you are with fair
> use.

Currently we also include fair use images. Each image's copyright is
stated in the
list of figures of the book (which can be seen in the preview as well).
It is the users
obligation to check whether he has problematic images in his book (as
stated in the
terms of service). Do you think this is problematic?

> As Erik suggests, working within Wikipedia itself might be useful,
> might I suggest that you operate transparently. What I mean by this is
> that you tell us that you have had an order for a book and the client
> has specified a particular list of articles. Knowing this we can help
> you select the best versions of the article from the history, edit
> these versions for spelling and grammar, help you remove fallacious
> statements within these versions and help select which images to
> include. If you agree with this it would be a good idea to set up a
> Wiki so that this kind of editing can easily be done.

This is a nice idea but confronts us with a couple of problems: a user
compiles a book and
previews it and he expects to get a book which is identical to the
preview. Therefore we
would not want to have the articles changed after the user saw the preview.

Nonetheless I think that it would be a mutual benefit, if pediapress
could help discover
articles that need "attention". If we can figure out a good way of doing
so we are
open to discussion!

Re: Printed on Demand Books from Wikipedia articles [ In reply to ]
Hi Robert

Robert Scott Horning wrote:

> I am curious how you plan to compile these books in a format that looks
> good on paper and not strictly as a web format. While this can be
> automated to an extent, I do think there are some issues that come from
> trying to move content from a web format to a printed page, and not all
> of these can be completely automated.
As you have pointed out, an automatic conversion of html (or mediawiki
markup) into latex can not be automated in a way that the book is
absolutely perfect.
But right now we are pretty satisfied with the results - even though we
are still working on improvments of the conversion.
The conversion is done with a parser we developed from scratch - as
mentioned in a previous post. The mediawiki markup is translated
into an internal representation which then gets transformed to latex (to
be more precise "context") - this is the hard part. It is slightly easier to
transform the internal representation back to html since some css-style
information can be maintained.

> As I havn't been able to preview
> a book yet,

I hope you did not encounter any technical problems with the pediapress
website?

- Volker

Re: Printed on Demand Books from Wikipedia articles [ In reply to ]
May I suggest that pediapress not require cookies to just look at the
site, tho I can understand requiring cookies when a customer builds up
a book.

Wikipedia for instance only creates cookies when account holders wish
to be automatically logged in - no cookies are required to just read
articles.
--
user:Jeandré
Re: Printed on Demand Books from Wikipedia articles [ In reply to ]
On 7/13/06, Volker Haas <volker.haas@brainbot.com> wrote:
> Hi Robert
>
> Robert Scott Horning wrote:
>
> > I am curious how you plan to compile these books in a format that looks
> > good on paper and not strictly as a web format. While this can be
> > automated to an extent, I do think there are some issues that come from
> > trying to move content from a web format to a printed page, and not all
> > of these can be completely automated.
> As you have pointed out, an automatic conversion of html (or mediawiki
> markup) into latex can not be automated in a way that the book is
> absolutely perfect.
> But right now we are pretty satisfied with the results - even though we
> are still working on improvments of the conversion.
> The conversion is done with a parser we developed from scratch - as
> mentioned in a previous post. The mediawiki markup is translated
> into an internal representation which then gets transformed to latex (to
> be more precise "context") - this is the hard part. It is slightly easier to
> transform the internal representation back to html since some css-style
> information can be maintained.

As I've mentioned before, I'd love to see a Wikimedia project which
does exactly this. Then the latex could be edited collaboratively to
make things more "absolutely perfect". It's nice to see it's at least
somewhat possible, though I'd say the quality of the previews right
now is fairly low.

Anthony
Re: Printed on Demand Books from Wikipedia articles [ In reply to ]
Anthony wrote:

>On 7/13/06, Volker Haas <volker.haas@brainbot.com> wrote:
>

>>Robert Scott Horning wrote:
>>
>>>I am curious how you plan to compile these books in a format that looks
>>>good on paper and not strictly as a web format. While this can be
>>>automated to an extent, I do think there are some issues that come from
>>>trying to move content from a web format to a printed page, and not all
>>>of these can be completely automated.
>>>

>>As you have pointed out, an automatic conversion of html (or mediawiki
>>markup) into latex can not be automated in a way that the book is
>>absolutely perfect.
>>
>As I've mentioned before, I'd love to see a Wikimedia project which
>does exactly this. Then the latex could be edited collaboratively to
>make things more "absolutely perfect". It's nice to see it's at least
>somewhat possible, though I'd say the quality of the previews right
>now is fairly low.
>
>Anthony

While this is something that perhaps should be moved to the tech list,
I'm curious about what the user interface of something like this ought
to look like if we did something like this?

MediaWiki software certainly is capable of storing and retrieving raw
ASCII text, and perhaps we could throw another "tab" that would be an
editable LaTeX version of the content that could also be "regenerated"
from the Wiki markup content. This would be another independent page
with edit histories, like the talk page.

Other kinds of options might be available, but the user experience would
have to be smooth and consistant with other aspects of editing Wikimedia
content.

I like the idea too, and might want to get involved with trying to put
it together.

--
Robert Scott Horning

Re: Printed on Demand Books from Wikipedia articles [ In reply to ]
Anthony schrieb:
> On 7/13/06, Volker Haas <volker.haas@brainbot.com> wrote:
>
>> Hi Robert
>>
>> Robert Scott Horning wrote:
>>

>>> I am curious how you plan to compile these books in a format that looks
>>> good on paper and not strictly as a web format. While this can be
>>> automated to an extent, I do think there are some issues that come from
>>> trying to move content from a web format to a printed page, and not all
>>> of these can be completely automated.
>>>
>> As you have pointed out, an automatic conversion of html (or mediawiki
>> markup) into latex can not be automated in a way that the book is
>> absolutely perfect.
>> But right now we are pretty satisfied with the results - even though we
>> are still working on improvments of the conversion.
>> The conversion is done with a parser we developed from scratch - as
>> mentioned in a previous post. The mediawiki markup is translated
>> into an internal representation which then gets transformed to latex (to
>> be more precise "context") - this is the hard part. It is slightly easier to
>> transform the internal representation back to html since some css-style
>> information can be maintained.
>>

> As I've mentioned before, I'd love to see a Wikimedia project which
> does exactly this. Then the latex could be edited collaboratively to
> make things more "absolutely perfect". It's nice to see it's at least
> somewhat possible, though I'd say the quality of the previews right
> now is fairly low.

My wiki2xml converter is in the subversion repository. It is a set of
scripts to convert MediaWiki markup into XML, and from there into other
formats, including plain text, HTML, DocBook, and ODT
(OpenDocument/OpenOffice format). OpenOffice is also open source and can
generate PDFs natively.

I admit that wiki2xml is currently less advanced than the impressive
pediapress software, as it does not render <math> tags, does not make a
list of figures, etc. which is due to me being busy, and being too lazy
merging in patches by others ;-)

Magnus
Re: Printed on Demand Books from Wikipedia articles [ In reply to ]
On Thursday 13 July 2006 16:15, Magnus Manske wrote:
> Anthony schrieb:
> > On 7/13/06, Volker Haas <volker.haas@brainbot.com> wrote:
> >> Hi Robert

> >> As you have pointed out, an automatic conversion of html (or mediawiki
> >> markup) into latex can not be automated in a way that the book is
> >> absolutely perfect.
> >> But right now we are pretty satisfied with the results - even though we
> >> are still working on improvments of the conversion.
> >> The conversion is done with a parser we developed from scratch - as
> >> mentioned in a previous post. The mediawiki markup is translated
> >> into an internal representation which then gets transformed to latex (to
> >> be more precise "context") - this is the hard part. It is slightly
> >> easier to transform the internal representation back to html since some
> >> css-style information can be maintained.
> >
> > As I've mentioned before, I'd love to see a Wikimedia project which
> > does exactly this. Then the latex could be edited collaboratively to
> > make things more "absolutely perfect". It's nice to see it's at least
> > somewhat possible, though I'd say the quality of the previews right
> > now is fairly low.
>
> My wiki2xml converter is in the subversion repository. It is a set of
> scripts to convert MediaWiki markup into XML, and from there into other
> formats, including plain text, HTML, DocBook, and ODT
> (OpenDocument/OpenOffice format). OpenOffice is also open source and can
> generate PDFs natively.

Nice. I've been meaning to write something like that. But we also need a way
to convert from DocBook/XML to MediaWiki markup.

Regards,

Shlomi Fish

Re: Printed on Demand Books from Wikipedia articles [ In reply to ]
Hi Jack,

thanks for your comment!
It is now possible to look at the pediapress main page without having
cookies enabled. But it is still not possible to order books without
cookies. The reason is that we store session information in the cookie.

-- Volker

Re: Printed on Demand Books from Wikipedia articles [ In reply to ]
On 7/13/06, Robert Scott Horning <robert_horning@netzero.net> wrote:
> Anthony wrote:

> >>As you have pointed out, an automatic conversion of html (or mediawiki
> >>markup) into latex can not be automated in a way that the book is
> >>absolutely perfect.
> >>
> >As I've mentioned before, I'd love to see a Wikimedia project which
> >does exactly this. Then the latex could be edited collaboratively to
> >make things more "absolutely perfect". It's nice to see it's at least
> >somewhat possible, though I'd say the quality of the previews right
> >now is fairly low.
> >
> >Anthony
> >
> While this is something that perhaps should be moved to the tech list,
> I'm curious about what the user interface of something like this ought
> to look like if we did something like this?

Well, the easiest way would unfortunately involve a fork of the
content. You'd have to pick a particular edition to export to LaTeX,
and then edit it from there. There would be rules, of course, that no
major changes to the content could be made, and that minor fixes (e.g.
grammatical) would have to be backported, but that's messy.

It'd be nicer if the merging could also be automated, but that's
complicated. The best solution would probably involve a way to put
the formatting directives directly into the wikitext, but that has its
own problems.

> MediaWiki software certainly is capable of storing and retrieving raw
> ASCII text, and perhaps we could throw another "tab" that would be an
> editable LaTeX version of the content that could also be "regenerated"
> from the Wiki markup content. This would be another independent page
> with edit histories, like the talk page.

Yeah, that's basically what I'd see it as, except I'm not sure how
you'd be able to regenerate the page if significant formatting changes
had been made without losing those changes (or performing a manual
merge).

> Other kinds of options might be available, but the user experience would
> have to be smooth and consistant with other aspects of editing Wikimedia
> content.
>
> I like the idea too, and might want to get involved with trying to put
> it together.

Well, the first step would be to create the wikitext->LaTeX converter.
Really I think that alone is a time consuming job, and the rest of
the details can wait for it. I haven't gotten a look at wiki2xml yet
though. Maybe it could be easily converted into something like that.

It's nice to see that there's some level of interest. Being that it's
such a complicated project I'm not sure there's enough yet, though.

Anthony
Re: Printed on Demand Books from Wikipedia articles [ In reply to ]
You may want to take the minor edit
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Help:Minor_edit> flag into account when
determining the "at least five of the principal authors of the
Document".

E.g. in the "USS Nautilus (SSN-571)" article in Tim Cruze's book "Big
Science", "Furry" is listed as one of the principal authors, eventho
user:Furry only made 2 minor edits on 2005-09-30 to the article
(deleting a space and a full stop). user:The Epopt completely rewrote
the article on 2004-01-05t23:52:26z, but is not listed as a principal
author.

Ignoring edits that were reverted <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WP:RV>
would also improve the authors list.

The contact form at <http://pediapress.com/contact/> is reporting "500
- Internal Server Error" on send.
--
user:Jeandré
Beans: The VD on WP book.
Re: Printed on Demand Books from Wikipedia articles [ In reply to ]
Hi Jack,
thanks for your comment about the principle author list. We try to
improve that.
Sorry for the inconvenience with the contact form - that bug is fixed.

-- Volker

Re: Printed on Demand Books from Wikipedia articles [ In reply to ]
One major usability issue is that articles directly in a category are
added when the category is added, but not articles within
subcategories. This can lead to some strange results.

On 7/13/06, Volker Haas <volker.haas@brainbot.com> wrote:
> Hi Jack,
> thanks for your comment about the principle author list. We try to
> improve that.
> Sorry for the inconvenience with the contact form - that bug is fixed.
>
> -- Volker
>
> Jack wrote:
> > You may want to take the minor edit
> > <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Help:Minor_edit> flag into account when
> > determining the "at least five of the principal authors of the
> > Document".
> >
> > E.g. in the "USS Nautilus (SSN-571)" article in Tim Cruze's book "Big
> > Science", "Furry" is listed as one of the principal authors, eventho
> > user:Furry only made 2 minor edits on 2005-09-30 to the article
> > (deleting a space and a full stop). user:The Epopt completely rewrote
> > the article on 2004-01-05t23:52:26z, but is not listed as a principal
> > author.
> >
> > Ignoring edits that were reverted <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WP:RV>
> > would also improve the authors list.
> >
> > The contact form at <http://pediapress.com/contact/> is reporting "500
> > - Internal Server Error" on send.

Ben Yates
Wikipedia blog - http://wikip.blogspot.com
Re: Printed on Demand Books from Wikipedia articles [ In reply to ]
Yes. And why doesn't Wikipedia get DPLs? They could prove useful for us --
they're not just for automagically displaying news articles on Wikinews.

Re: Printed on Demand Books from Wikipedia articles [ In reply to ]
James Hare wrote:
> Yes. And why doesn't Wikipedia get DPLs?

Because we don't want to spend a million dollars on servers to keep the site
from crashing when people cross multiple 200-thousand-page categories?

-- brion vibber (brion @ pobox.com)
Re: Printed on Demand Books from Wikipedia articles [ In reply to ]
I believe that adding all articles in a category and also in all
subcategories would result in many unwanted articles in the book. By
carefully selecting a category with only a few subcategories this
problem could be avoided, but I believe in most cases adding
subcategories as well has undesired effects.

By using the "suggested articles" button on the build page you should
ideally get the "best" articles in the subcategories as well (after you
added some articles you want in your book). I am aware that currently it
is not possible to add all suggested articles - we are thinking about
adding this functionality.

-- Volker

Since many categories have lots of articles assigned to them and also