Please, spread the word that all the translations in various languages
should be updated. Thanks in advance.

Ant

Re: New privacy policy [ In reply to ]
Excellent -- thank you. Reading the policy, I find:

"It is the policy of Wikimedia that personally identifiable data collected
in the server logs, or through records in the database via the CheckUser
feature, may be released by the system administrators or users with
CheckUser access, in the following situations:"

Does this mean that personally identifiable information may be released by
users with CheckUser permissions? For example, is it permissible for me to
release the actual IP address of a vandal to the general public? I'm not
sure, but this may not be a good thing.

I can understand using the information for IP blocks, but perhaps the
release of the information should not be so broad in these cases. Or, maybe
I'm tired, have failed to comprehend the policy completely, and have missed
something.. :D

-N.

On 6/21/06, Anthere <Anthere9@yahoo.com> wrote:

> http://wikimediafoundation.org/w/index.php?title=Privacy_policy&oldid=14088
>
> may be found here.
>
> Please, spread the word that all the translations in various languages
> should be updated. Thanks in advance.
>
> Ant

Nathan Reed
nathanreed@gmail.com
Re: New privacy policy [ In reply to ]
On 6/21/06, Anthere <Anthere9@yahoo.com> wrote:
> http://wikimediafoundation.org/w/index.php?title=Privacy_policy&oldid=14088
>
> may be found here.
>
> Please, spread the word that all the translations in various languages
> should be updated. Thanks in advance.

shouldn't the translations bear some kind of a disclaimer that says
that only the English version is "official" and serves in court?

Just wondering.

Delphine

--
~notafish
Re: New privacy policy [ In reply to ]
On 6/21/06, Nathan Reed <nathanreed@gmail.com> wrote:
> Excellent -- thank you. Reading the policy, I find:
>
> "It is the policy of Wikimedia that personally identifiable data collected
> in the server logs, or through records in the database via the CheckUser
> feature, may be released by the system administrators or users with
> CheckUser access, in the following situations:"
>
> Does this mean that personally identifiable information may be released by
> users with CheckUser permissions? For example, is it permissible for me to
> release the actual IP address of a vandal to the general public? I'm not
> sure, but this may not be a good thing.
>
> I can understand using the information for IP blocks, but perhaps the
> release of the information should not be so broad in these cases. Or, maybe
> I'm tired, have failed to comprehend the policy completely, and have missed
> something.. :D

We do have that authority, but we rarely use it. Normally the only
way we would release an IP address would be in the context of placing
an IP block (or range block) of a vandal, which implicitly publicizes
the IP address to user interrelationship.

Kelly
Re: New privacy policy [ In reply to ]
Am Donnerstag, 22. Juni 2006 01:23 schrieb Anthere:
> http://wikimediafoundation.org/w/index.php?title=Privacy_policy&oldid=14088
>
> may be found here.
>
> Please, spread the word that all the translations in various languages
> should be updated. Thanks in advance.

I just wanted to update the one in Wikimedia Commons but sadly I was unable to
fetch the page source code from Wikimedia wiki without registration (ok I
could take the one from meta but I prefer taking it from the "official"
source).

So it would be rather cool if there is a way that unregistered users can grab
the page code as well.

BTW (as people did mention it) although probably almost everyone knows that
(and did it already), people in local wikis should not forget a disclaimer
like:

--

This is a local copy of the official '''[[Wikimedia:Privacy policy|Privacy
policy]]''' of the [[Wikimedia:Home|Wikimedia Foundation]]. In doubt only the

--

Arnomane
Re: New privacy policy [ In reply to ]
On 6/22/06, Daniel Arnold <arnomane@gmx.de> wrote:
> I just wanted to update the one in Wikimedia Commons but sadly I was unable to
> fetch the page source code from Wikimedia wiki without registration...

You can use [[Special:Export]] to get the wikitext.
http://wikimediafoundation.org/wiki/Special:Export/Privacy_policy

Angela
Re: New privacy policy [ In reply to ]
Nathan Reed wrote:
> "It is the policy of Wikimedia that personally identifiable data collected
> in the server logs, or through records in the database via the CheckUser
> feature, may be released by the system administrators or users with
> CheckUser access, in the following situations:"
>
> Does this mean that personally identifiable information may be released by
> users with CheckUser permissions? For example, is it permissible for me to
> release the actual IP address of a vandal to the general public? I'm not
> sure, but this may not be a good thing.
>
> I can understand using the information for IP blocks, but perhaps the
> release of the information should not be so broad in these cases. Or, maybe
> I'm tired, have failed to comprehend the policy completely, and have missed
> something.. :D

Notice that the privacy policy is what we tell the public that we *may*
do. We can and should, in practice, be as privacy conscious as we can
be, and so checkusers who have any doubt about to whom they should
release information, and when, and why, should check carefully with
Angela, Anthere, me, brad, other checkusers, relevant arbcoms, etc.

Even if our privacy policy leaves us room to do something if we need to
do it, we may choose not to do it in most cases.

--Jimbo
Re: New privacy policy [ In reply to ]
On 6/22/06, Jimmy Wales <jwales@wikia.com> wrote:

> Nathan Reed wrote:
> > "It is the policy of Wikimedia that personally identifiable data
> collected
> > in the server logs, or through records in the database via the CheckUser
> > feature, may be released by the system administrators or users with
> > CheckUser access, in the following situations:"
> >
> > Does this mean that personally identifiable information may be released
> by
> > users with CheckUser permissions? For example, is it permissible for me
> > release the actual IP address of a vandal to the general public? I'm not
> > sure, but this may not be a good thing.
> >
> > I can understand using the information for IP blocks, but perhaps the
> > release of the information should not be so broad in these cases. Or,
> maybe
> > I'm tired, have failed to comprehend the policy completely, and have
> missed
> > something.. :D
>
> Notice that the privacy policy is what we tell the public that we *may*
> do. We can and should, in practice, be as privacy conscious as we can
> be, and so checkusers who have any doubt about to whom they should
> release information, and when, and why, should check carefully with
> Angela, Anthere, me, brad, other checkusers, relevant arbcoms, etc.
>
> Even if our privacy policy leaves us room to do something if we need to
> do it, we may choose not to do it in most cases.
>
> --Jimbo

To second Jimbo, part of what is really important about this is the notion
of "flexible response" especially when dealing with sensitive issues, i.e.
law enforcement (it happens) and emergency situations. We absolutely are
committed to a minimalist policy and will endeavor to release as little as
possible, whenever possible. However, we are also ensuring that if a
situation arises that calls for us to do something, we can do so within the
parameters of our own policy. I think it is a natural evolution and a good
policy.

--
Brad Patrick
General Counsel & Interim Executive Director
Re: New privacy policy [ In reply to ]
On 6/22/06, Anthere <Anthere9@yahoo.com> wrote:
> http://wikimediafoundation.org/w/index.php?title=Privacy_policy&oldid=14088
>
> may be found here.
>
> Please, spread the word that all the translations in various languages
> should be updated. Thanks in advance.
>
> Ant

Thanks to the Board for the update.
I strongly agree with Delphine : the translations should have a
warning on them. (remember, that's why we do not have official
translations of the GFDL).

Solensean.

--
He was born with a gift of laughter and a sense that the world was
mad. And that was all his patrimony.

Wikipédia, l'encyclopédie libre.
http://fr.wikipedia.org
Re: New privacy policy [ In reply to ]
> On 6/22/06, Anthere <Anthere9@yahoo.com> wrote:
> > http://wikimediafoundation.org/w/index.php?title=Privacy_policy&oldid=14088
> >
> > may be found here.

> > Please, spread the word that all the translations in various languages
> > should be updated. Thanks in advance.

Please, /* deleted for redundancy */
The same version of the above is now found on meta
http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Privacy_policy
and you are invited to translate it into your favorite language(s),
and if possible, your language version will be available on July 1st -
the date it will go alive.

I remarked all links to other languages than English with "outdated".
Please remove it after you finish your work.

Of course, you can work not only on wiki, but offline, if preferable.
Please note that 1) you are strongly recommended to have other editors
review and proofread it and
2) you need to put your final version on meta, to upload it to WMF
website, unless you have an account on that.

Other translation requests are available on
http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Translation_requests

P.S. As for those translations' status, I totally second Delphine and
Mathieu. In our current curcumstance, only English version can be
considered "original" therefore "official and legally valid" one in my
opinion.

--
Aphaia
aka
Re: New privacy policy [ In reply to ]
Aphaia wrote:
>> On 6/22/06, Anthere <Anthere9@yahoo.com> wrote:
>>> http://wikimediafoundation.org/w/index.php?title=Privacy_policy&oldid=14088
>>>
>>> may be found here.
>
>>> Please, spread the word that all the translations in various languages
>>> should be updated. Thanks in advance.
>
> Please, /* deleted for redundancy */
> The same version of the above is now found on meta
> http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Privacy_policy
> and you are invited to translate it into your favorite language(s),
> and if possible, your language version will be available on July 1st -
> the date it will go alive.
>
> I remarked all links to other languages than English with "outdated".
> Please remove it after you finish your work.

Not exactly, it was already translated in French yesterday ;)

> Of course, you can work not only on wiki, but offline, if preferable.
> Please note that 1) you are strongly recommended to have other editors
> review and proofread it and
> 2) you need to put your final version on meta, to upload it to WMF
> website, unless you have an account on that.
>
> Other translation requests are available on
> http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Translation_requests
>
> P.S. As for those translations' status, I totally second Delphine and
> Mathieu. In our current curcumstance, only English version can be
> considered "original" therefore "official and legally valid" one in my
> opinion.

*nods*

Re: New privacy policy [ In reply to ]
Btw... fixing details in jd translation of the french version (tu es sur
qu'on dit "Journalisation privée" ???), I just realised that the current
version does not make reference to the new tool (oversight).

For now, it is no big deal, but we may have to think about adding a
paragraph about that tool, once the way it works has been "permanently"
fixed. Right now, it seems to early.

Ant

Re: New privacy policy [ In reply to ]
On 6/23/06, Anthere <Anthere9@yahoo.com> wrote:
> For now, it is no big deal, but we may have to think about adding a
> paragraph about that tool, once the way it works has been "permanently"
> fixed. Right now, it seems to early.

Some language (new) versions have appeared; is it okay even before
July 1st? (Till the end of month, "outdated" versions are official in
fact, I understand)

By the way, if we can say "the English version is one and only one
official version", we need disclaimers in each language, or not?

I am not sure such disclaimers should be considered a part of policy
itself, but methinks legal people would be better than me to draft and
put English version* on meta served for translators.

Re: New privacy policy [ In reply to ]
On 6/22/06, Mathieu Amo <solensean@gmail.com> wrote:
> I strongly agree with Delphine : the translations should have a
> warning on them. (remember, that's why we do not have official
> translations of the GFDL).

Is a privacy policy even a legal document in the first place?