Mailing List Archive

Re: the easy way or the less easy way [ In reply to ]
On 6/18/06, Michael Snow <wikipedia@earthlink.net> wrote:
> Let me say it clearly for all of you. If you want to participate in
> legal membership in the Foundation, considering just how broadly we
> contemplate the concept of membership, you are effectively expressing a
> willingness for your name and address to become a public record. Any
> member can get a Florida attorney (Jack Thompson comes to mind) to
> represent them and ask for the membership records on their behalf. And I
> don't expect it will be possible to screen out in advance members you
> consider undesirable any more effectively than we can do so for project
> editors.
>
> Given how strongly attached some of the community is to privacy and
> anonymity, I don't know if that's a choice we want to be forcing on
> people. Certainly it's not a model we should adopt without making sure
> people have thought carefully about it.

No one is suggesting forcing anything on anyone. In order to become a
foundation member, you would have to give your name and address. You
don't have to be a foundation member in order to edit Wikipedia et.
al.

If this is such an issue, and I don't see why it should be, I'm sure
there are other states with more reasonable corporate laws. Florida
is not a very popular state for corporations. Even Wikia moved out of
Florida. IIRC, oregon is usually recognized for very liberal
non-profit corporate laws.

> Various possibilities lie ahead. One is that we adopt legal membership
> with all its attendant rights and responsibilities. If this is done in
> the name of remaining "open", it's just as possible that in doing so
> we'd be departing from our openness toward those who value their
> privacy. Another possibility in the scenario is that depending on how
> membership is determined, including cost, we may find that relatively
> few people "join". At which point it becomes obvious that despite this
> effort, some people will choose to complain that the community is not
> represented in Foundation affairs, and it may seem that the entire
> exercise was valueless. It should also be observed that any definition
> of Foundation membership which is not coextensive with the community
> (and I don't see how gaps can be avoided) has the potential to
> factionalize people along the lines created by these fissures. A
> community divided over member vs. non-member, rich vs. poor, out vs.
> closeted, or other potential distinctions is certainly a possibility.

We are already divided between board member and non-board member.
Allowing people outside of the board to be members of the foundation
makes the gap smaller, not larger.

Anthony
Re: the easy way or the less easy way [ In reply to ]
Erik Zachte wrote:
> Anthere:

> My point, please give it few more days or even weeks, perhaps give yourself
> a break as well, before you decide no one is interested.
> We don't need to reach a conclusion within a week. Better slow and steady
> than hastily and without results.
>
> Erik Zachte

My own point is that we may have days, but we may not have weeks.
I know who is on the board now, I do not know for sure who will be on
the board in a few months. By the way, about a good dozen people
indicated their interest to be on the board, and some of them gave their
opinion on the current topic. Others did not.

I think that it would be interesting that all current candidates
actually *give* their opinion publicly on what they consider is
membership, on how membership should be taken into account and which
type of organisation they envision would be best for the Foundation.

Ultimately, either we together will have to decide which persons should
be elected (in case of elections) or I (and other board members) will
have to decide which persons to appoint (in case of appointments).

During last elections, some people complained that there has not been
much "deep" discussions. To my opinion, membership and organisation are
really important topics. There is a pending resolution which aims at
appointing a temporary board member. This board member will have a
voice, just as current board members have. This person will be able to
impact greatly the future of the organisation depending on his/her
position. I gather I was elected with the expectation I will make
informed decisions with regards to the future of the organisation.
I do not consider myself informed enough. No decisions is required. But
opinions are necessary.

ant

Re: the easy way or the less easy way [ In reply to ]
Anthere wrote:
> Erik Zachte wrote:
>
>> Anthere:
>>

>> My point, please give it few more days or even weeks, perhaps give yourself
>> a break as well, before you decide no one is interested.
>> We don't need to reach a conclusion within a week. Better slow and steady
>> than hastily and without results.
>>
>> Erik Zachte
>>

> My own point is that we may have days, but we may not have weeks.
> I know who is on the board now, I do not know for sure who will be on
> the board in a few months. By the way, about a good dozen people
> indicated their interest to be on the board, and some of them gave their
> opinion on the current topic. Others did not.
>
> I think that it would be interesting that all current candidates
> actually *give* their opinion publicly on what they consider is
> membership, on how membership should be taken into account and which
> type of organisation they envision would be best for the Foundation.
>
> Ultimately, either we together will have to decide which persons should
> be elected (in case of elections) or I (and other board members) will
> have to decide which persons to appoint (in case of appointments).
>
> During last elections, some people complained that there has not been
> much "deep" discussions. To my opinion, membership and organisation are
> really important topics. There is a pending resolution which aims at
> appointing a temporary board member. This board member will have a
> voice, just as current board members have. This person will be able to
> impact greatly the future of the organisation depending on his/her
> position. I gather I was elected with the expectation I will make
> informed decisions with regards to the future of the organisation.
> I do not consider myself informed enough. No decisions is required. But
> opinions are necessary.
>
> ant
Hoi,
Weighing in on the subject.

The first question to ask is what IS our organisation and what is its
values, how does it work so far.
Our organisation is the Wikimedia Foundation. Its value is in providing
an organisational background to several projects that exist in many
languages. There are a few ground rules that are enforced by the
organisation. They are NPOV, wiki and Freedom and, they are aspects of
the mission statement of the WMF. The projects have a specific domain
and they are organised per language. By and large they are self
organised. The English Wikipedia serves as a role model for many of the
projects and the many language versions.

The WMF provides infra-structure; it owns the hardware it provides some
office functions including legal expertise. When necessary it steps in
and takes action in order to prevent legal problems. The WMF provides
the financial underpinnings for the operation of the projects by
soliciting funds via the projects. There are some meta-functions for the
projects; OTRS stewards and two developers are paid to oversee the
smooth development of the MediaWiki software.

The projects largely run themselves. There are opposing faction on
almost everything. This does not mean that things do not develop. They
do. People can become relevant in a project and they can become
irrelevant again depending on the quality of their social skills and the
recognition of their value to the project, the community. When a choice
is made for a more formal structure in the projects, it means that the
current processes are pushed to the side. My expectation is that the
result will not lead to what some expect ie more stability.

The WMF is very much an enabling organisation. To accomplish this,
chapters have been started. They too are imho intended to support the
organisation in countries. When charitable money is solicited, this can
only be considered charitable (and tax deductible) when it is done
according to the laws of the land. The chapters are also great to use as
a vehicle when organising events. In my opinion, it would be good to
emphasize the organisational nature of the chapters and have strong
links between the chapters and the organisation.

The consequence of all this is that the WMF is very much about
organisation. It helps prevent editors falling victim when they behave
irresponsible by intervening when it is necessary for legal reasons. It
provides the monetary and organisational background needed for
activities undertaken by the projects.

When people want to become member, they can. They can become member of
their chapter. This allows them to find the organisational background
when something is to be organised from within the projects in their
country. When there is no chapter yet in a country, this points to the
immaturity of the community in a country. This immaturity may exist for
many reasons. One reason may be that there are not many projects
relevant in a country. When the WMF is of the opinion that it would be
GOOD to stimulate projects in a country and for a particular language,
this is something where particularly infrastructural things come to mind.

When people are of the opinion that they want direct influence in the
WMF, the current representation by board members is one way. It could be
that chapters are given some visible influence in the WMF.When people
want influence, they can do what they have done so far; make a lot of
noise or they can get themselves a reputation of being helpful in
finding solutions by actively involving themselves (e.g. in the Betawiki)

* I am of the opinion that there should be an US-American chapter. The
WMF is NOT its chapter and should not play that role.
* I do not like to hear that you are not sure who will be on the board
in the not so distant future.. I hope to see you there

Thanks,
GerardM
Re: the easy way or the less easy way [ In reply to ]
On 6/18/06, Anthere <Anthere9@yahoo.com> wrote:
> I think that it would be interesting that all current candidates
> actually *give* their opinion publicly on what they consider is
> membership, on how membership should be taken into account and which
> type of organisation they envision would be best for the Foundation.

This is the kind of thing that I would want to put into an election
platform after much serious thought and, if elected to the Board,
would want to debate in further detail with everyone concerned, rather
than making some kind of firm statement about it on a Sunday
afternoon.

Michael Snow raised the important question whether we want any
membership to be tied to our legal structure. I tend to agree with him
that this is not strictly necessary if an informal commitment to open
and broad member participation -- legal or otherwise -- is firmly
rooted in our organization's principles. I believe that, given some
recent episodes, the desire of some users to remain anonymous is
understandable, and needs to be taken very seriously. I would like to
hear some more of Tim Starling's thoughts on the matter; I believe he
is an advocate of legal membership.

I also think Kelly's suggestion to tie membership to the chapter
structure deserves some serious thought, though of course we don't
have chapters in most regions. It would drive the creation of new
chapters, but I would also want some other method for people who do
not have a chapter to represent them to nevertheless participate in
membership-oriented decisions. This is a complex proposal with many
implications, given our desire to keep chapters to some extent
separate from the Foundation. (I'm also not sure all chapters
currently have members.) Here I would very much appreciate Delphine's
input, and that of the chapter committee and the chapters themselves.

I am inclined to believe that the entire Board should be chosen by the
community (legally as members or otherwise), and that there should be
an additional Advisory Council with non-voting experts and, as you
like to call them, "Big Shots" ;-). So far I haven't seen many strong
arguments to give outsiders or non-elected community members the full
_legal_ authority of the Board. While I might be convinced on that
point, I would probably want at least the majority of the Board to be
elected.

As we are striving to reduce the role of the Board in day-to-day
governance, I think the more critical questions are about the
interaction of the committees, the role of the Executive Director and
(possibly) an Executive Committee, the ease of participation in these
groups, their scope, their internationality, and so on. Board
membership should be about strategy, while the implementation of that
strategy should be left up to a well-balanced combination of a large
and dynamic group of volunteers and some hired staff.

I do explicitly not support the notion of a small membership base of
handpicked individuals, and think that membership dues must be set up
in such a way that they do not discriminate against those who cannot
afford them. I am not a big fan of the Wikicouncil idea or similar
proposals of elected representative bodies. Any Board election should
be open to all active community members who are interested in
Foundation affairs, and votes on new projects or other Foundation
matters should be similarly direct and open. Simply put, when you have
an open vote, I see no reason not to allow anyone who meets some basic
criteria to vote. And when it's about getting involved in Foundation
matters, the criteria for involvement should not be imposed
universally through some community filter, but according to the needs
of each project and workgroup.

As regards your statement that a temporary Board appointment may be
imminent, is there a particular reason why it needs to be an
appointment, rather than an election? For what period of time would
such an appointment be?

Erik
Re: the easy way or the less easy way [ In reply to ]
On 6/19/06, Erik Moeller <eloquence@gmail.com> wrote:
> As regards your statement that a temporary Board appointment may be
> imminent, is there a particular reason why it needs to be an
> appointment, rather than an election?

It would be an interim measure between the time of the appointment and
the next election (hopefully September if the Board can make the
effort to vote on the pending resolution between now and then).

> For what period of time would such an appointment be?

The one Anthere is talking about would be 3 months. Others could be
longer (hopefully not permanent).

Angela.
Re: the easy way or the less easy way [ In reply to ]
On 6/18/06, Angela <beesley@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 6/19/06, Erik Moeller <eloquence@gmail.com> wrote:
> > As regards your statement that a temporary Board appointment may be
> > imminent, is there a particular reason why it needs to be an
> > appointment, rather than an election?

> It would be an interim measure between the time of the appointment and
> the next election (hopefully September if the Board can make the
> effort to vote on the pending resolution between now and then).

Has the possibility been considered to make this, then, an interim
appointment in the same way Brad is our interim Executive Director --
i.e. the person appointed would explicitly not be running in the Board
election? Besides being more fair to all prospective candidates, it
would allow us to postpone some of the matters being discussed here
until the final Board setup is clear. The interim Board member would
focus on operational issues only.

Erik
Re: the easy way or the less easy way [ In reply to ]
In a message dated 6/18/2006 8:03:31 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
Anthere9@yahoo.com writes:

I think that it would be interesting that all current candidates
actually *give* their opinion publicly on what they consider is
membership, on how membership should be taken into account and which
type of organisation they envision would be best for the Foundation.

Actually, there are no "current candidates" because there is no election
underway. This is very premature. Also, there are plenty of non-candidates who
would want to have a say in this. Why limit it?

Danny
Re: the easy way or the less easy way [ In reply to ]
Kelly Martin wrote:

> Does Florida law require that member of nonprofits be actual persons?
> A nonprofit I used to work for (a national organization) had as its
> members the 50 state organizations of which it was comprised. Perhaps
> the members of Wikimedia should be the various national organizations
> which already exist, as corporate entities.

It doesn't appear to be a requirement, just the assumption we've been
working with. Using the chapters as members could perhaps be workable,
it warrants consideration at least.

I can imagine three possible problems, not necessarily insurmountable.
First is that the extent of chapter coverage remains inadequate, so I
don't know that it would make sense to launch a membership structure
right now. We might need to deal with the current membership vacuum for
a little while longer.

Second is that we currently emphasize not putting chapters in a position
of potential liability, particularly since local libel laws or lack of
safe harbors for hosted online content may place them in greater
jeopardy than the Florida foundation. Florida law does provide that
members are not liable for corporate acts as such, but I don't know what
credence that will be given in another nation's courts. As a general
principle, the closer the chapters get to actually managing the
Wikimedia Foundation, the more likely it is that their court systems
will choose to "pierce the veil" and hold them directly accountable.

Third is the possibility that local laws for some chapters might
prohibit them from participating in the membership structure as it is
ultimately organized. I can't say if or where this would be an actual
problem, it's a little beyond my current mastery of the situation. As
with the international liability issues, people with a better
understanding of those local laws would need to address what a given
chapter can or cannot do.

--Michael Snow
Re: the easy way or the less easy way [ In reply to ]
Anthony DiPierro wrote:

> IIRC, oregon is usually recognized for very liberal
>non-profit corporate laws.

I doubt they are all that much different to justify a relocation.

A stand out local feature is there is no state sales tax. Which means
by current U.S. Federal law governing transactions over the Internet.
This means any corporate store owned and operated locally can be set up
to move goods inside the U.S. for revenue with no need to do the
paperwork and collect sales taxes for 48 various U.S. states who do have
a state sales tax.

Obviously foreign excise duties must be still be investigated and
serviced if the intent is to ship worldwide.

Also various U.S. restraints regarding the export of regulated
militarily applicable technologies as well as import regulations.

Some research here might informative for any interested:
http://www.constructionweblinks.com/Industry_Topics/Laws_and_Regulations_--_Full_T/State__Laws_and_Regulations/Oregon__State_Laws_and_Regulat/oregon__state_laws_and_regulat.html

I could not find an official Oregon state site via google which is
rather irritating and disappointing. How the hell can we be a nation
of laws if the laws are secret, unknown, or published in an expensive
proprietary format nobody wishes to invest in? No wonder the local law
and order Republican busy bodies keep losing our state to the
irresponsible fiscally conservative Democrats.

The local law library is open by prearranged appointment a few hours a
week. If there are any serious specific questions regarding Corporate
advantage somebody could fly into Coos Bay International and do the
detailed research. 8)

regards,
lazyquasar

Re: the easy way or the less easy way [ In reply to ]
Anthere wrote:
> The major benefit of "appointed" is there is more chance to get a united
> team with complementary skills.
> The major drawback is to risk similar-thinking people and limit
> diversity of view points.

Hmm, actually I view diversity of viewpoints as one of the strengths of
an appointment method. It is easy for us to get people who think
exactly as we do, but it could be very interesting I think to find some
major important academic (as an example) to join the board to provide a
different perspective from what we have now.

# Office: 1-727-231-0101 | Free Culture and Free Knowledge #
# http://www.wikipedia.org | Building a free world #
Re: the easy way or the less easy way [ In reply to ]
Erik Zachte wrote:
> I probably won't make myself more popular with what follows, but I
> favour candidness, while being respectful: I think Jimbo is a great
> guy, with tremendous vision and drive, and a friendly person. But
> with all that Jimbo did for Wikimedia, which is a tremendous amount
> and which may indeed lead him to the Nobel Price some day, it is
> still an undeniable fact that others (read: the community) did
> collectively much more, orders of magnitude more. Jimbo invested huge
> sums of money. Volunteers might have made huge amounts of money had
> they not spent so much of their free time on this project, I'm sure
> again orders of magnitude more than Jimbo has. For me it would be
> great if Jimbo kept his life long membership to the board, as a
> sincere token of appreciation, but I feel it is over the top, if he
> treats the foundation as something he has special rights to forever,
> at least morally.

You make yourself perfectly popular with me, because I could not have
said it better myself. I think one of the most important things that we
can recognize about this conversation is that I do not expect my own
perspective to be absolutely definitive. I do not think that the
foundation is something I have special rights to, not forever, and not
even right now.

As it stands right now we have a real board of 5 members, of whom I am
only one. In our internal board work, everyone has an independent voice
and vote, no problem.

I am an advocate of two basic principles with respect to the longterm
governance of the foundation. First, the board must carefully defend
the values that have brought us together, including freedom of content,
openness to participation, an atmosphere of human dignity and respect,
and a slow reasoned approach to change. Second, the board must have a
diversity of mechanisms for participation, and a diversity of membership.

There are great Wikimedians who are willing to go through the trollfest
of an election. There are great Wikimedians who are not. There are
amazing people with a passion for our mission who are inside the
community, and there are amazing people with a passion for our mission
who are not.

There are great editors who become famous within Wikipedia and who can
be elected to the board. There are great business people, great
lawyers, great thinkers who are not editors and not so widely known to
the community.

My view is that a majority of the board should always come from within
the community, some by election, some by appointment. But my view is
also that a healthy organization should have brilliant people with
specialized knowledge and skills who are also outside the organization,
to give a strong outside perspective, to help prevent the board from
going over a cliff of group-think, etc.

As with most things, I think that a cautious hybrid approach works best.

--Jimbo
Re: the easy way or the less easy way [ In reply to ]
Kelly Martin wrote:
> Does Florida law require that member of nonprofits be actual persons?
> A nonprofit I used to work for (a national organization) had as its
> members the 50 state organizations of which it was comprised. Perhaps
> the members of Wikimedia should be the various national organizations
> which already exist, as corporate entities.

"Members" is a technical legal concept which should not straightjacket
us too much. We can be a fully hardcore community organization without
being a "membership organization" in the technical sense... as I
understand it, a "membership organization" is one very special type of
community-based organization, and one which for many reasons does not
fit how we think of ourselves.

But as to your substantive point, I agree completely that we need a
place at the board level (in the long term) for the interest of the
chapters. I can really envision a case where, in the future, the
chapter boards elect from among themselves a representative to the
board, a fully voting representative.

I do not expect that to be an approach we take in the current
contemplated board expansion, but for a future board expansion I think
it would make very good sense. (In the past, we have had a very uneven
distribution of chapters... but as chapters are being formed worldwide,
in another year or two we will be able to think of the chapters as a
whole as representing the segment of the community which is more
interested in "organizational" work as well as "editing" work.)

I hope people are beginning to see the outlines of my thinking about
what I mean when I say that I think we should be a community
organization with a diversity of routes to board membership, because I
think this better reflects who we are and what we do as a community than
global voting for all board members would.

--Jimbo

Re: the easy way or the less easy way [ In reply to ]
On 6/19/06, Michael R. Irwin <michael_irwin@verizon.net> wrote:
> Anthony DiPierro wrote:
>
> > IIRC, oregon is usually recognized for very liberal
> >non-profit corporate laws.
> >

> I doubt they are all that much different to justify a relocation.

If they allow members to not make their address public I'd say that
justifies a relocation.

> A stand out local feature is there is no state sales tax. Which means
> by current U.S. Federal law governing transactions over the Internet.

That doesn't really apply to non-profits. The specific feature I was
thinking about was the ability to have as few as one director. But as
it turns out this was Nevada anyway. Nevada allows bearer
certificates for its for-profit corporations.

Here we go. Nevada statutes 82.181(1): "A corporation shall keep a
copy of the following records at its registered office:" (c) "If the
corporation has members, a members' ledger or a duplicate members'
ledger, revised annually, containing the names, alphabetically
arranged, of all persons who are members of the corporation, showing
their places of residence, if known and the class of membership held
by each" So "places of residence" are only required "if known".

Yes, in order to be a member of the organization you have to give your
name. That part seems reasonable to me. Even if you want to
contribute to Wikipedia (for instance) pseudonymously you can still do
that. There's no requirement that your real name be tied to your
username. For the purposes of meeting the activity requirements you
might want to tie at least one pseudonym to your real name without
making this information public, though. Hopefully one day Wikipedia
will make it possible to contribute without making even your pseudonym
public.

I'm sure Nevada isn't the only jurisdiction which has this feature.
Jimbo presumably chose Florida because it's where he lives, and for no
other particular reason.

> I could not find an official Oregon state site via google which is
> rather irritating and disappointing. How the hell can we be a nation
> of laws if the laws are secret, unknown, or published in an expensive
> proprietary format nobody wishes to invest in?

I found http://www.leg.state.or.us/ors/ by typing in "oregon statutes"
and hitting "I'm feeling lucky".

Anthony
Re: the easy way or the less easy way [ In reply to ]
On 6/19/06, Anthony DiPierro <wikilegal@inbox.org> wrote:
> > I could not find an official Oregon state site via google which is
> > rather irritating and disappointing. How the hell can we be a nation
> > of laws if the laws are secret, unknown, or published in an expensive
> > proprietary format nobody wishes to invest in?
>
> I found http://www.leg.state.or.us/ors/ by typing in "oregon statutes"
> and hitting "I'm feeling lucky".

It is generally well-known that one can get the government of any
state by going to www.state.xx.us, where xx is the state's postal
code. Oregon's website can therefore be found at www.state.or.us.
This redirects to oregon.gov, which is the state's official website.

Kelly
Re: the easy way or the less easy way [ In reply to ]
Anthony DiPierro wrote:

>I found http://www.leg.state.or.us/ors/ by typing in "oregon statutes"
>and hitting "I'm feeling lucky".

Might be less than lucky if depend upon this site for anything
substantive. At the top below the title:

"
The text appearing in this database was produced from material provided
by the Legislative Counsel Committee of the Oregon Legislative Assembly.
The official record copy is the printed published copy of the Oregon
Revised Statutes. The text in the database is not the official text of
Oregon law.
Although efforts have been made to match the database text to the
official legal text they represent, substantive errors or differences
may remain. It is the user’s responsibility to verify the legal accuracy
of all legal text. The Legislative Counsel Committee claims copyright
protection in those parts of Oregon Revised Statutes that are legally
subject to copyright protection."

Still it might be a useful starting point. I bookmarked it. Thanks!

regards,
lazyquasar

Re: the easy way or the less easy way [ In reply to ]
Kelly Martin wrote:

>On 6/19/06, Anthony DiPierro <wikilegal@inbox.org> wrote:
>

>>>I could not find an official Oregon state site via google which is
>>>rather irritating and disappointing. How the hell can we be a nation
>>>of laws if the laws are secret, unknown, or published in an expensive
>>>proprietary format nobody wishes to invest in?
>>>

>>I found http://www.leg.state.or.us/ors/ by typing in "oregon statutes"
>>and hitting "I'm feeling lucky".
>>

>It is generally well-known that one can get the government of any
>state by going to www.state.xx.us, where xx is the state's postal
>code. Oregon's website can therefore be found at www.state.or.us.
>This redirects to oregon.gov, which is the state's official website.
>
>Kelly

The standard format provided redirects to a index page of links:
http://www.oregon.gov/how_do_i.shtml#laws

which has a bunch of useful information and the link with the disclaimer
that Anthony provided.

Apparently might as well be depending on a legal free wiki site and free
content typists and editors as the State's official online publishing.
Use of either is at your own risk.

regards,
lazyquasar

Re: the easy way or the less easy way [ In reply to ]
Anthere wrote:

>2 years ago, I have been elected to represent the Foundation members.
>For a little while, I tried to set up the membership stuff and some of
>you may remember the discussion around the member dues.
>That discussion went nowhere. So, for a year, Angela represented all of
>you and I represented no one :-)
>
>At the following elections, we just dropped these two notions of
>volunteer representative/member representative.

That de facto change made sense even though it has not been supported by
a corresponding change in the by-laws.

>Our bylaws are severaly outdated, and on several points, totally
>inappropriate. In short, they need to be *changed*.
>I invite you to have a good look at them, and in particular to the whole
>sections about membership :
>http://wikimediafoundation.org/wiki/Wikimedia_Foundation_bylaws
>
>Does that section fit with reality ?

I think it's sufficient to agree that the by-laws as a whole do not
reflect the principles that drew us to this venture.

>Since these bylaws needed many changes (not only on the membership
>part), a new draft has been proposed and is currently on the board wiki.

My apologies if I am misreading something, but exactly who on the Board
is proposing the specified changes? In some ways some of your comments
below seem to suggest that you are the only Board member with the energy
to devote to the by-laws; however, I also find that the specific
proposals do not match up with the very important principles that you
describe. The last thing that I would want to do is to identify you
with ideas that are not yours.

>This new version has a very short "membership section".
>
>The community is still taken into account in ARTICLE II, where a new
>section has been proposed (section 4).
>
>Board members selection process is in ARTICLE III, section 3.
>
>The rest of the bylaws are a huge improvement compared to current ones.
>
>ARTICLE III - MEMBERSHIP
>The Foundation shall have no members.

I find this concept totally bizarre. An organization is accountable to
its members. It follows that an organization without members is
accountable to no-one. The term "foundation" can take on different
meaning in different legal jurisdictions. In many places a foundation
receives charitable donations for the sole purpose of providing
financial support for other worthy causes. Admittedly, I have not
looked at how the term is defined in Florida state law, but I would hope
that there has been no explotation of the differences which people may
have in their understanding of that term.

Note too that in the existing by-laws the members are given the right to
some votes. The proposed changes would quash the existing rights of
existing members, limited as those tights may be. At first glance it
would seem that the amendment section would allow this to be done, but I
don't know how Florida law looks upon by-law amendments whose effect
would be the mass disenfranchisement of all members. I would venture
the guess that everyone who voted at the last Board election was ipso
facto recognized as a member.

>ARTICLE II
>Section 4. Community.
>The Foundation acknowledges the valuable contributions of volunteers
>throughout the world for their dedication and tremendous work. The
>Foundation defines as one of its purposes the enhancement of the various
>Wikimedia communities throughout the world in their respective languages.

The first sentence is pure fluff. It's meant to make people feel good
without accomplishing a damn thing. The second sentence is weaselly.
It does not define a community; it defines a "purpose". That has very
little weight in the absence of a definition of those communities to
which it refers. The whole section is meaningless.

>ARTICLE IV
>Section 3. Selection.
>The Trustees shall serve until their successors are elected and
>qualified. Selection shall be in the following manner:
>(1) Trustees Elected from the Community.
>At least two (2) Trustees shall be selected from the Community by vote
>of the Community. The Board of Trustees shall determine the dates, rules
>and regulation of the voting procedures; they shall appoint two
>Inspectors of the Election from the Community to oversee the election
>procedures who shall report and certify the results within thirty days
>of any vote.

Again, we need to define "Community". The inspectors, reporting and
certification references are of secondary importance.

>(2) Other Trustees.
>The remaining number of Trustees shall be elected by the Board. Names of
>individuals shall be nominated for selection by the Board. The Board
>shall endeavor to select Trustees who will best fulfill the mission and
>needs of the Foundation. Individuals who are not selected unanimously
>may be elected by a majority of the Board.

This sounds like the principle of self-perpetuation.

These proposals would be worse than what we already have.

>These bylaws have not been approved. They are still in the draft mode.
>For all I know, they could stay here forever, because beside myself, I
>did not see other board members working on them. And I did not really
>see any comments from them either.
>
>I am uncertain whether I should give much energy on new bylaws, even if
>the current official ones are nonsense within the current situation.
>Uncertain because of the lack of reaction of board members, and the near
>lack of reaction of the community.
>Being just a board member, I can not *force* the other board members to
>vote. I am not in charge of organising meetings where we could vote or
>at least discuss together. In short, if a resolution to approve new
>bylaws is set up, I have NO certainty this will *ever* result in an
>approved resolution.

Would you really want them to vote on these?

>It takes a lot of energy to work on a topic when it is so pointedly
>ignored by peers.

I have worked on by-laws for other organizations, and know the feeling. :-(

>Hence my trying to turn toward you.
>How many editors work on the projects ? thousands
>How many people are registered to this list ? a few hundred
>How many people are active on this list ? A couple dozens
>How many people from wikitech commented on the Apache model ? 0
>How many people from this list commented on the Apache model ? less than 5
>
>As I said... it takes a lot of energy...
>
>But please, try to see the big picture ...

It also takes a lot of energy to just plough through this stuff enough
to have an informed opinion. What you have said about the Apache model
seems to make a lot of broad sense, but the details would still need to
be reviewed separately to see how they could be adapted to our even more
diverse organization.

>Our current bylaws describe a very mixed model, which has been much
>complained about in the past 2 years (I criticized it myself when it was
>originally proposed).
>It has 2 members elected by the community, for a limited time
>And 3 members, appointed by Jimbo, and permanent till they die or resign
>And does not limit members to 5.... but makes no mention of how increase
>would be done.
>
>The second version of the bylaws (the ones standing on the board wiki)
>is the same (it would make no difference in terms of board of trustees
>organisation), but for pointing out a reality : there is no Foundation
>membership.
>
>Roughly, this model would be what I would qualify as a Private
>Foundation. Or Business Foundation. It is a Foundation which focus a lot
>on the efficiency of business (except that there is no business
>model...but well...) and would privilege addition of famous or wealthy
>members in the future.
>DON'T GET ME WRONG ! Right now, the majority of board members wish very
>much that there be community members on the board... but that's in good
>part because we are currently still 5 members. Now, imagine we add 2
>famous guys. We'll have a board of 7 with 2 from the community only.
>Then, imagine we add 2 other big guys. The community part will be 2/9.
>Of course, the addition could be of 2 guys from the community. In such
>case, they would be appointed.
>
>What I mean to say is that in this model, the community existence would
>really be recognised up to 2 people, which would be elected by the
>community. The rest of the members would come from an internal decision.
>Self-appointing board... with no terms limit.

Yep, that's a perfect reflection of the business mentality. It has
worked well that way for centuries, or as some would say, "If it ain't
broke don't fix it." ;-)

If you put it all in terms of the World Economic Order the transition
from the Davos model to the Porto Alegre model is a difficult and
painful one.

>The Apache model is entirely different. I would call it a public
>Foundation or a Community Foundation. Majority of members would be
>garanteed from the community. There would be term limits. It would be a
>collective running. This is very much the model of our local
>associations in Europe... and that might be where the problem lies. I
>think the model of Associations (public/members) is very much european;
>whilst the model of Foundation (private/upon appointement) is very much
>american and hard to understand by europeans.

This is a plausible analysis.

>Which model would be better in our case ?
>
>I dunno really.

It requires a careful weighing of the benefits and defects of each. That
alone gives more weight to some hybrid.

>One model insists more on business. It would certainly be more business
>efficient in the long run. It will certainly be more stable and more
>reliable (only limited turnover in the board). Likely more professional.
>I can envision a group of famous people seating on its board, with 3-4
>meetings per year. Some staying there forever because that looks good on
>their business card, even though they do nothing at all (this is already
>the case of one of our member). A big and well-paid staff to run the
>business. And little by little, disinterest by the community.
>But this might be the best choice to create bonds with the big firms,
>the big NGOs, as that Foundation will appear more solid and trustworthy.
>More money... could mean better support of the projects and of our goals.

Do we really want that kind of bigness? Or is it an inevitable
development in the life and death of institutions? The whole situatiion
smells of stale cigars.

>The second model will be more lively. A bazaar of some sorts. We could
>expect the board to get more involved in every-day running. More
>volunteer work probably. It will be much more difficult to organise,
>because of the noises of campaigning from new candidates, of the public
>discussions. It will be more of a social construction. Less stable due
>to turn-over of board members. We would not have such a good image in US
>business, but we might be loved by free-movement organizations and
>citizens all over the world.
>I suppose we'll have less money... but we may have more ideas because of
>the boiling culture.
>
>In the end, I think there is both a cultural clash in what we are trying
>to set up... and an issue of courage.

Absolutely! The problem is that most people feel more comfortable in a
stable environment, even when it produces inferior results.

>If we pick up the first model, I think things can go very quickly and
>with little pain. This summer, at Wikimania, we'll meet big names (I say
>"we" because Jimbo already have breakfast with them regularly... but the
>board should appoint them... so it would be nice that the board members
>actually know the people they get recommandation to appoint). We can
>think of who would be best asset, just ask him, and by september, we'll
>have a nice board with new big names and maybe one community member we
>like. And with luck, more money, more introduction and new opportunities.
>
>If we pick up the second model, it will be much more painful. The
>community (and not Delphine and I alone :-)) will need to do its
>homework. Seriously discuss a mean to select members. Seriously discuss
>organisation. And not only stay mute on the list or not only say "this
>will never work" or not only blame the board just to be so inefficient
>without proposing solutions. We'll need to sweat together. And we'll
>need to convince quite a few people that this is the way to go.

Serious discussions are a tough thing to get happening. That's not what
we have been trained to do all our lives. To make things worse many
whose opinions would be very valuable are prone to desire instant mental
gratification instead of calm reflective consideration.

>I would prefer the second model myself, but I will NOT fight for it
>*alone*. I will not alone try to push for a system if there is no
>*active* support. I will not try to set up a scheme to see it abandonned
>on the board wiki.
>
>I thought it over and over. I am not sure which one of the two models
>would be best for the goals of the Foundation. According to our habits,
>we would say "first option". But are we not precisely amongst those who
>proved that a decentralized, transparent model, largely based on
>volunteer work and using the goodwill of non-expert people may be
>successful ?

We've gone a long way toward that proof. References to Wikipedia in the
media are more frequent and without accuracy disclaimers.

>As I can not be sure whether it would be the best choice for the
>Foundation, I tried to see how I would appreciate each model as an
>individual and I invite you guys to do the same with self-honesty
>(estimate which one would be best for the general good and which one
>would be best for you).
>
>I have little interest in the first model as an *individual*.
>This model is humiliating to me. The big actors in this model would be
>the big names, which I do not have the chance to meet or talk with. The
>strategy of the Foundation would be done between Jimbo and the big names
>in 5 stars conference halls or in far-away islands, where no one will
>ever think of inviting me (eh, best to keep the circle of people small).
>
>I will simply be offered the results of brainstorms of important people
>to implement and vote upon (I don't know why I use future, this is
>already happening). I will have the great opportunity to prepare the
>path of the big people in doing their homework so that they better
>shine. Community representatives would be second rate board member.

First rate Board members are the ones who challenge these trends.

>The other people in the Foundation would be the staff, who would make a
>(good) living of what I do full time for free (and who receive the
>religious ceremonies from community when the board gets the fire).
>
>I say "I", but I am quite convinced many would feel just the same.
>
>That would leave the benefit of working for a great cause...
>But would the biggest cause be the projects ? Or the Foundation ?

For the person who believes in a cause and ideas being paid is an
ethical question

>Where are we in these models right now ?
>
>In the middle. We have some community representant, but the relations
>between community and Foundation are disorganised. We'll soon have new
>appointed board members. I do not expect new appointments to help
>reducing the lack of communication.
>
>But this is a broken system. Balancing between the Business Foundation
>and the Community Foundation, so that no one knows where to put his ass.
>
>At this point, in large part, this now depends on you. If you want to do
>a more Community Foundation, we need bylaws which reflect this. We need
>to set up the organisation (on a type of Apache model for example). We
>need to convince those who are not convinced.

Let's not put too much emphasis on by-laws and governance models. Such
misplaced emphasis could find us doing the same thing we complain
about. By-laws should reflect a consensus on what we are all about.

>If you want to do a more Business Foundation, the bylaws are ready to be
>voted upon. Members are knocking at the door.
>
>A very bad thing would be to stay forever in the middle of two seats,
>with unsuitable bylaws, disorganisation, frustrated community and angry
>board members.
>
>Sorry for the long rant.
>I hope it clarifies the current situation.

The apology is not needed when you say what needs to be said.

Ec

Re: the easy way or the less easy way [ In reply to ]
Samuel Klein wrote:

>>ARTICLE II
>>Section 4. Community.
>>The Foundation acknowledges the valuable contributions of volunteers
>>throughout the world for their dedication and tremendous work. The
>>Foundation defines as one of its purposes the enhancement of the various
>>Wikimedia communities throughout the world in their respective languages.
>>

>This would be an unfortunate first sentence. Foundations do not usually
>acknowledge the contributions of projects they support. The contributions
>of donors, perhaps...
>
>More generally : I am surprised to see the term "volunteer" has come to be
>used in these discussions as a way of distinguishing some contributors
>form the Foundation; at times in a lightly patronizing context
>('volunteer' as opposed to 'professional' / 'expert' / 'dedicated')...
>similar to the way "amateur" has come to mean "dilletante" or "unpaid"
>rather than "connoisseur".
>
>I expect that Wikipedians of all people have a sense of generativity,
>active creation, and public responsibility which transcends the notion of
>'volunteering' for a cause.
>
>When one returns home to fix the plumbing in a parents' house, does one
>call it "volunteering"? No. Participating in a barn-raising for a
>neighbor, or rebuilding one's own community after a storm? Likewise no.
>Neither is it "volunteering" to create part of a public art project, tend
>a community garden, write the biography of a hero, or spending an evening
>in language-exchange.
>
>Wikipedians "contributing" to the public store of knowledge are simply
>doing for their own global community what most people on the planet should
>come to do -- sharing what they know, and helping others do the same.

My objections are to the whole section. That would not be fixed by
semantic variations on the word "volunteer"

>>Roughly, this model would be what I would qualify as a Private
>>Foundation. Or Business Foundation. It is a Foundation which focus a lot
>>on the efficiency of business (except that there is no business
>>

>A pity, for a foundation with as much promise as this one has to change
>the world.
>
>>The Apache model is entirely different. I would call it a public
>>Foundation or a Community Foundation. Majority of members would be
>>garanteed from the community. There would be term limits.
>>
>Right.

These are the important distinctions if we are ever to avoid being
overrun by corporatism.

>>The second model will be more lively. A bazaar of some sorts. We could
>>expect the board to get more involved in every-day running. More
>>volunteer work probably. It will be much more difficult to organise,
>>because of the noises of campaigning from new candidates, of the public
>>discussions. It will be more of a social construction. Less stable due
>>to turn-over of board members. We would not have such a good image in US
>>business, but we might be loved by free-movement organizations and
>>citizens all over the world.
>>I suppose we'll have less money... but we may have more ideas because of
>>the boiling culture.
>>

>I wouldn't say "by free-movement organizations and citizens" -- but simply
>"by individuals" all over the world. Many people who don't get 'free
>culture' or 'FOSS' at all, and don't care, get Wikipedia (great project)
>-- and get *really* interested when they find out the extent to which it
>is guided by a broad and milling community.

Yes, it is easy to interpret public perceptions as something more than
what they are. Editors who find that things are going well in the
article set that interests them are not going to feel at all concerned
with governance issues. When you raise these philosophical issues with
them the most intelligent response will be, "Duh?" If you press them to
take a stand the results will be unpredictable. Perhaps I'm a little
more cynical in saying that they don't give a damn what kind of
community it comes from.

>>I thought it over and over. I am not sure which one of the two models
>>would be best for the goals of the Foundation. According to our habits,
>>we would say "first option". But are we not precisely amongst those who
>>proved that a decentralized, transparent model, largely based on
>>volunteer work and using the goodwill of non-expert people may be
>>successful ?
>>

>Not only successful. Exuberantly, outrageously successful, orders of
>magnitude beyond the dreams of the initial participants. There are
>subtleties in what has worked here that have never before been effectively
>explored. Some are still mysterious, which is why small groups of editors
>/ meta-editors / policy writers often have trouble tapping them as needed
>to work on specific projects.

Definitely! A soft stream of air when starting a compfire will
encourage it to grow. A hard wind is likely to put it out.

Ec

Re: the easy way or the less easy way [ In reply to ]
daniwo59@aol.com wrote:

>Right now, it seems that the membership model is so inclusive, it seems more
>reasonable to ask who is *not* a member?
>
>This is not so unreasonable a question. Plenty of people contact us daily
>about advertising with us, or using us as a place to add links to their sites.
>Just Friday I got a call from a PR firm that suggested we pay them to add
>content about all of their clients. Are they "members"?

Asking you to make the edits is not editing. Is a corporaion itself
capable of editing, and thereby becoming a member? It seems that only
individuals are able to edit.

>(Note that other PR
>firms have been making edits and complaining if they are reverted. Are they
>members too?)

I guess they could be.

>Willie on Wheels has thousands of "edits." Is he a member?

Why not? His thousands of edits would still only give him one vote.
People of that caliber are still a tiny minority. There is less agony
to marginalizing their effects than to putting enormous effort into
weeding them out.

>Some of the most active members on this list make very few real content
>edits. Are they members?
>
>Membership in any organization implies a certain level of responsibility. By
>granting membership--and with it, the right to vote--we are allowing people
>to determine the future direction of the organization. It seems that this
>would necessitate something more than just goodwill, presence, or a vested
>interest in the course of the foundation.

The proposed changes would strenghthen the hand of only those with a
vested interest, and not the others.

Ec

Re: the easy way or the less easy way [ In reply to ]
Michael R. Irwin wrote:

>Erik Zachte wrote
>

>>Oh, an important clarification.
>>Naturally, appointed may be from outside of the community or from the
>>community. On this matter, Angela, Jimbo and myself agree that at least
>>the majority should be from the community.
>>
>>The major benefit of "appointed" is there is more chance to get a united
>>team with complementary skills.
>>The major drawback is to risk similar-thinking people and limit
>>diversity of view points.
>>

>Another risk is that the expertise and skills that are available in the
>community will view all Wikimedia Foundation activities as the
>responsibilities and problems of the Board. Volunteers not happy with
>how the governing/management structure is arrived at may simply continue
>to decline to participate other than within their chosen spheres of
>influence within specific projects.

The same thing can be said of those who are happy with the governance.
They can feel no need to tinker with what they feel to be going well.

Ec

Re: the easy way or the less easy way [ In reply to ]
Michael R. Irwin wrote:

>A stand out local feature is there is no state sales tax. Which means
>by current U.S. Federal law governing transactions over the Internet.
>This means any corporate store owned and operated locally can be set up
>to move goods inside the U.S. for revenue with no need to do the
>paperwork and collect sales taxes for 48 various U.S. states who do have
>a state sales tax.

The sale of goods is a very minor concern for us. Most businesses only
collect sales taxes from purchasers when the goods are delivered in
state. For an organization with employees the lack of a state income
tax may be more interesting. Florida does not have a state personal
income tax.

>Obviously foreign excise duties must be still be investigated and
>serviced if the intent is to ship worldwide.

That is usually the responsibility of the purchaser.

>Also various U.S. restraints regarding the export of regulated
>militarily applicable technologies as well as import regulations.

What good of this sort are you planning to export?

>The local law library is open by prearranged appointment a few hours a
>week. If there are any serious specific questions regarding Corporate
>advantage somebody could fly into Coos Bay International and do the
>detailed research. 8)

That's always a problem in small towns.

Ec

Re: the easy way or the less easy way [ In reply to ]
Ray Saintonge wrote:

>I think it's sufficient to agree that the by-laws as a whole do not
>reflect the principles that drew us to this venture.

It might be useful sometime to have a discussion of what specific
reasons beyond the big gigantic principals or goals of changing the
world people have for being here.

Often people are motivated by extremely different personal goals to
participate effectively in a project. If the personal goals are not met
for sufficient participation then the project will fail to meet its
larger overall goals.

regards,
lazyquasar

Re: the easy way or the less easy way [ In reply to ]
Ray Saintonge wrote:

>Michael R. Irwin wrote:
>

>>A stand out local feature is there is no state sales tax. Which means
>>by current U.S. Federal law governing transactions over the Internet.
>>This means any corporate store owned and operated locally can be set up
>>to move goods inside the U.S. for revenue with no need to do the
>>paperwork and collect sales taxes for 48 various U.S. states who do have
>>a state sales tax.
>>

>The sale of goods is a very minor concern for us. Most businesses only
>collect sales taxes from purchasers when the goods are delivered in
>state. For an organization with employees the lack of a state income
>tax may be more interesting. Florida does not have a state personal
>income tax.

Personal income tax does not affect the Wikimedia Foundation except
indirectly as you note. Sales tax would affect any revenue creating
shipments of product.

My thoughts were that the Foundation might choose to sale its stable CDs
directly if no partners choose to package the CDs and provide a small
percentage back to the originating community to encourage future
editions of its product.

I understand the final producer of the German Wikipedia was/is
contributing back $1 Euro per CD sold to customers to the German Chapter.

In large quantities, over a thousand or more at a time, CDs can be
produced and packaged ready for shipping for under a dollar a CD. We
probably need DVDs, maybe a couple. Figure shipping and handling at
$5.00 a unit assuming some kind of efficiently organized order handling
database, accounting system, label printer, postage meter and mail
drop. The Foundation might sell the stable edition for twenty dollars
plus shipping and handling to Windows users and earn up to $5.00 per
customer while of course most linux distributions will eventally
probably ship the FDL'ed product with their extended distributions over
the internet somehow.

or we can continue to rely on donations.

either way is fine by me as long as the servers can stably service
editors and users.

snip info on excise duties

>>Also various U.S. restraints regarding the export of regulated
>>militarily applicable technologies as well as import regulations.
>>

>What good of this sort are you planning to export?

Human knowledge.

For example, a few years ago it was illegal to ship U.S. domestic
versions of the animation package 3DStudio Max to Australia because it
had distributed processing capabilities that the Pentagon wanted kept
out of somebody's hands. Presumably because if you can visualize what
is happening effectively you can make good decisions and more
effectively develop complex weapons systems.

Should the group that I was working with ever adopt the free software
package "Art of Illusion" and turn in a patch to allow distributed
processing then it might be a good idea to have a foreign mirror
distributing the patch to avoid entanglements with the Pentagon for U.S.
users and distributors of the free software.

Interestingly, AFAIK, nobody has bothered the BOINC supercomputer types
so perhaps enforcement is tangled up in cross border trade. Perhaps if
no money changes hands the regulations have no teeth since they were
written to address capitalists selling U.S. funded military technologies
abroad.

I understand that there are such entanglements on various encryption
technologies as well.

regards,
lazyquasar

Re: the easy way or the less easy way [ In reply to ]
Phoebe Ayers wrote:

>On 6/17/06, Erik Moeller <eloquence@gmail.com> wrote:
>

>>I suggest that a workshop be set up at Wikimania to discuss these
>>things in person; in addition, if you want my personal thoughts on
>>

>Heck yes. Would having it over lunch suit? Otherwise, it would
>conflict with sessions (or have to be before or after, on Thur./Mon.)
>
>As ever, such things can be discussed/proposed here:
>http://wikimania2006.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikimania_online

I support the general idea. I don't know if a lunch session would be
long enough to do justice to the question. Perhaps an open-ended
evening session?

Judging by some of the views expressed already this could be a fairly
heavy duty session. Airing these kinds of things at a meeting like this
should be done with a view of building consensus. All persons active in
some aspect of wiki governance should be there. I would not make this a
closed meeting (too unwiki!), but people who have not been following
this discussion before the meeting should be warned that the nature of
the discussions could be very boring for them.

I would also suggest that a written agenda be available before the
meeting starts, and that the meeting be chaired by a person with a track
record in consensus building.

Ec

Re: the easy way or the less easy way [ In reply to ]
Michael R. Irwin wrote:

>Ray Saintonge wrote:
>

>>>I think it's sufficient to agree that the by-laws as a whole do not
>>>reflect the principles that drew us to this venture.
>>>

>It might be useful sometime to have a discussion of what specific
>reasons beyond the big gigantic principals or goals of changing the
>world people have for being here.

The goal of changing the world often clashes with the idea of limitless
growth

>Often people are motivated by extremely different personal goals to
>participate effectively in a project. If the personal goals are not met
>for sufficient participation then the project will fail to meet its
>larger overall goals.

That's a fair observation.

Ec