Mailing List Archive

moving forward on article validation
(Mainly concerning wikipedia, but cross-posting to foundation-l because
of some discussion of committees; see the end.)

We've discussed on and off that it'd be nice to vet specific revisions
of Wikipedia articles so readers can either choose to read only quality
articles, or at least have an indication of how good an article is.
This is an obvious prerequisite for a Wikipedia 1.0 print edition, and
would be nice on the website as well.

There is a lengthy list of proposals here:
http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Article_validation_proposals

I wanted to try to rekindle the process by summarizing some of the
proposals, which I think can be grouped into three main types, and then
suggest some ideas on where to go from there.

Proposal #1: Fork or freeze, then bring up to our quality standards.
---
Wikipedians would look around for articles that look reasonably good
(perhaps starting with feature articles) and nominate them to be worked
on. Then either freeze them (by placing a notice or some sort of
technical measure), or else fork them off to a copy. The articles would
then be checked for referencing, accuracy, grammar, and so on, possibly
only by users who've met some bar for participation in the clean-up
process, resulting in an article suitable for publication. Forking or
freezing is to ensure the cleanup process actually terminates rather
than trying to clean up a moving target; there are of course pros and
cons to forking vs. freezing.

Some pros: Fairly straightforward; follows successful methods of "stable
release" management in the software-development world; allows a certain
amount of editorial work not normally suitable for an in-progress
encyclopedia (like cutting out an entire section because it's too far
from being done to go in the print version); is easy to integrate
"expert review" into as a last vetting step before it goes out the door.

Some cons: Either disrupts normal editing through a freeze, or results
in duplicated effort with a fork. Also is likely to result in a fairly
slow process, so the reviewed version of each article may be replaced
with an updated version quite infrequently; most articles will have no
reviewed version, so doesn't do much for increasing the typical quality
of presentation on the website.

Proposal #2: Institute a rating and trust-metric system
---
Wikipedians rate revisions, perhaps on some scale from "complete crap"
to "I'm an expert in this field and am confident of its accuracy and
high quality". Then there is some way of coming up with a score for
that revision, perhaps based on the trustworthiness of the raters
themselves (determined through some method). Once that's done, the
interface can do things like display the last version of an article over
some score, if any, or a big warning that the article sucks otherwise
(and so on).

Some pros: Distributed; no duplicated effort; good revisions are marked
good as soon as enough people have vetted them; humans review the
articles, but the "process" itself is done automatically; most articles
will have some information about their quality to present to a reader

Some cons: Gameing-proof trust metric systems are notoriously hard to
design.

Proposal #3: Extend a feature-article-like process
---
Extend a feature-article type process to work on revisions rather than
articles. For example, nominate revision X of an article as a featured
article; improve it during the process until it gets to a revision Y
that people agree is good. Then sometime later, nominate a new revision
Z, explain what the differences are, and discuss whether this should
supercede the old featured version. Can also have sub-featured statuses
like "good" or "mediocre, but at least nothing is outright wrong". In
principle can be done with no code changes, though there are some that
could ease things along greatly.

Some pros: Gets at the effect of proposal #2 but with a flexible
human-run system instead of an automatic system, and therefore less
likely to be brittle.

Some cons: Will need carefully-designed software assistance to keep all
the information and discussion manageable and avoid descending into a
morass of thousands upon thousands of messy talk pages

---

These are not necessarily mutually exclusive. In my opinion, something
like #3 would be best suited to marking quality of revisions on the
website, and then the best of these could feed into a process like #1
that would do final vetting and cleanup before a print publication (in
addition to print-specific things like editing for space, formatting,
image resolution, etc.).

In any case, obviously proposals can come and go forever. None are
implemented, but that's partly because nobody wants to sink a bunch of
time into implementing a system when there's no guarantee it will even
be used. My hope is to condense the discussion so we choose some
high-level ideas on how to proceed before moving on to the inevitable
details, and then move to implementation once we've agreed what we
actually want.

On an organizational level, it may be useful to have a working group
sorting this out to focus the process. It may be useful, in my opinion,
for the Foundation to make it an official committee of sorts and
indicate at least informally that it'll support getting its
recommendations enacted (e.g. paying another developer if development
resources are the bottleneck). I would be willing to devote a
significant amount of time to such a committee, since I think this is
the single biggest problem holding back Wikipedia's usefulness to the
general public, and I'm sure there are at least several other people
with ideas and expertise in this area who would be willing to do so as well.

Thoughts?

-Mark

Re: moving forward on article validation [ In reply to ]
On 6/14/06, Delirium <delirium@hackish.org> wrote:
> (Mainly concerning wikipedia, but cross-posting to foundation-l because
> of some discussion of committees; see the end.)
>
> We've discussed on and off that it'd be nice to vet specific revisions
> of Wikipedia articles so readers can either choose to read only quality
> articles, or at least have an indication of how good an article is.
> This is an obvious prerequisite for a Wikipedia 1.0 print edition, and
> would be nice on the website as well.

I'm working on a set of consolidated specifications for this, please
give me a few days until I finalize it (it's a fairly large document).
Allow me to quote from the set of requirements I start with:

* revision-specific tagging rather than article-specific tagging
* changeset-oriented: when possible, only review the changes from the
last reviewed revision to the next unreviewed one
* scalability in the overall quantity of articles reviewed per time unit
* distinction between different types of review, such as vandalism,
accuracy, neutrality, copyright status, etc.
** acknowledge that different people have different abilities to
review these different aspects of an article
* systematically involving editors who are self-selected as being
qualified in the particular disciplines
* universal applicability to Wikipedia, Wikinews, Wikisource,
Wikiquote, Wiktionary, and any other open wiki project using MediaWiki
* facilitate fixing problems over tagging them
* discoverability. All aspects of the user interface should be
discovered by the average wiki editor during normal use of the system.
* fun. Any review process must be addictive and simple in order to
motivate long term interest.

I've been mulling over this problem since 2002 and I think that all
proposed processes fail in several of these criteria. That is not to
say that I believe I have the "one answer", but I hope the specs I'm
working on will become a basis for further renewed discussion, and
lead directly towards a realistic implementation path.

Erik
Re: moving forward on article validation [ In reply to ]
On 6/13/06, Delirium <delirium@hackish.org> wrote:
> Thoughts?

I think before we even start thinking about ensuring that our articles
are "high quality" we need to first establish mechanisms to ensure
that our articles are free of legal encumbrances. Let's get that out
of the way first, eh?

Kelly
Re: moving forward on article validation [ In reply to ]
Delirium wrote:

> We've discussed on and off that it'd be nice to vet specific revisions
> of Wikipedia articles so readers can either choose to read only
> quality articles, or at least have an indication of how good an
> article is. This is an obvious prerequisite for a Wikipedia 1.0 print
> edition, and would be nice on the website as well.
>
> There is a lengthy list of proposals here:
> http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Article_validation_proposals
>
> I wanted to try to rekindle the process by summarizing some of the
> proposals, which I think can be grouped into three main types, and
> then suggest some ideas on where to go from there.

Thank you for taking the time to address this.

> Proposal #1: Fork or freeze, then bring up to our quality standards.
> ---
> Wikipedians would look around for articles that look reasonably good
> (perhaps starting with feature articles) and nominate them to be
> worked on. Then either freeze them (by placing a notice or some sort
> of technical measure), or else fork them off to a copy. The articles
> would then be checked for referencing, accuracy, grammar, and so on,
> possibly only by users who've met some bar for participation in the
> clean-up process, resulting in an article suitable for publication.
> Forking or freezing is to ensure the cleanup process actually
> terminates rather than trying to clean up a moving target; there are
> of course pros and cons to forking vs. freezing.
>
> Some pros: Fairly straightforward; follows successful methods of
> "stable release" management in the software-development world; allows
> a certain amount of editorial work not normally suitable for an
> in-progress encyclopedia (like cutting out an entire section because
> it's too far from being done to go in the print version); is easy to
> integrate "expert review" into as a last vetting step before it goes
> out the door.
>
> Some cons: Either disrupts normal editing through a freeze, or results
> in duplicated effort with a fork. Also is likely to result in a
> fairly slow process, so the reviewed version of each article may be
> replaced with an updated version quite infrequently; most articles
> will have no reviewed version, so doesn't do much for increasing the
> typical quality of presentation on the website.

This option would work well, I think, for two possible uses. One is for
offline distribution, since there's less point in creating a fork that
will just be another online variation on the same theme. The second
possibility I think we would benefit from is the "freeze" option of
presenting stable, reviewed versions by default to users who do not log in.

> Proposal #2: Institute a rating and trust-metric system
> ---
> Wikipedians rate revisions, perhaps on some scale from "complete crap"
> to "I'm an expert in this field and am confident of its accuracy and
> high quality". Then there is some way of coming up with a score for
> that revision, perhaps based on the trustworthiness of the raters
> themselves (determined through some method). Once that's done, the
> interface can do things like display the last version of an article
> over some score, if any, or a big warning that the article sucks
> otherwise (and so on).
>
> Some pros: Distributed; no duplicated effort; good revisions are
> marked good as soon as enough people have vetted them; humans review
> the articles, but the "process" itself is done automatically; most
> articles will have some information about their quality to present to
> a reader
>
> Some cons: Gameing-proof trust metric systems are notoriously hard to
> design.

Aside from the manipulation problem, with this kind of approach I
wonder, "To what end?" Simply attaching a number to things is not that
interesting in and of itself. It needs to be put to some kind of use,
and while that's certainly possible, I'm more excited about potential
uses to which the other approaches better lend themselves.

Another potential concern I would point to with these is the possibility
of what might be called grade inflation. People might well start
criticizing the use of low scores as "biting newcomers" or something
like that. This would be an unfortunate reversal of the current trend
for featured articles, for which candidates have been held to
progressively higher standards. It also would undermine our hopes that
generally speaking, the content tends to improve over time.

> Proposal #3: Extend a feature-article-like process
> ---
> Extend a feature-article type process to work on revisions rather than
> articles. For example, nominate revision X of an article as a
> featured article; improve it during the process until it gets to a
> revision Y that people agree is good. Then sometime later, nominate a
> new revision Z, explain what the differences are, and discuss whether
> this should supercede the old featured version. Can also have
> sub-featured statuses like "good" or "mediocre, but at least nothing
> is outright wrong". In principle can be done with no code changes,
> though there are some that could ease things along greatly.
>
> Some pros: Gets at the effect of proposal #2 but with a flexible
> human-run system instead of an automatic system, and therefore less
> likely to be brittle.
>
> Some cons: Will need carefully-designed software assistance to keep
> all the information and discussion manageable and avoid descending
> into a morass of thousands upon thousands of messy talk pages

One of the weaknesses of directly modeling the featured article system
is that it doesn't scale well. I suppose in a sense that's part of what
you're saying, but you seem to suggest that it could be made to scale.
That might be possible but right now I don't see how, could you perhaps
elaborate on how you would design this? The suggestions I extrapolate
from this outline would to my mind mostly add complexity to the system,
and I'd expect them if anything to scale worse and not better.

> These are not necessarily mutually exclusive.

That's certainly true, although personally I mostly prefer elements of
the first approach.

--Michael Snow
Re: moving forward on article validation [ In reply to ]
Kelly Martin wrote:

>On 6/13/06, Delirium <delirium@hackish.org> wrote:
>

>>Thoughts?
>>

>I think before we even start thinking about ensuring that our articles
>are "high quality" we need to first establish mechanisms to ensure
>that our articles are free of legal encumbrances. Let's get that out
>of the way first, eh?

Some approaches might allow us to efficiently fix or tag several
problems on a single pass if we predefine or preprogram our methods.

Two or three or four passes times over a million in English and counting
up.

I think maybe we need methods easy for occasional users like me to learn
and then help apply or this "problem" might be growing faster than a
small dedicated team can fix it.

Anybody know how the German DVD tackled this issue?

regards,
lazyquasar

Re: moving forward on article validation [ In reply to ]
Delirium wrote:
> [...]
> high-level ideas on how to proceed before moving on to the inevitable
> details, and then move to implementation once we've agreed what we
> actually want.
>
> On an organizational level, it may be useful to have a working group
> sorting this out to focus the process. It may be useful, in my opinion,
> for the Foundation to make it an official committee of sorts and
> indicate at least informally that it'll support getting its
> recommendations enacted (e.g. paying another developer if development
> resources are the bottleneck). I would be willing to devote a
> significant amount of time to such a committee, since I think this is
> the single biggest problem holding back Wikipedia's usefulness to the
> general public, and I'm sure there are at least several other people
> with ideas and expertise in this area who would be willing to do so as well.

I would support that entirely. Please feel free to draft a general scope
for such a commmittee and to begin dragging people in. You may also
prefer a specific mailing list to discuss the topic ?

Today I talked with Rishab Aiyer Ghosh. With one of his project
(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/First_Monday_%28journal%29), he (they) are
working on a peer notation, with trust metrics. They would be happy to
work with us on such tool. You may wish to contact him on this issue.

Ant

Re: moving forward on article validation [ In reply to ]
Note that the "Wikipedia 0.5" WikiProject on en:wp is tackling this
issue with some energy, and could use more input and nominations:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Version_0.5_Nominations

On 6/13/06, Michael Snow <wikipedia@earthlink.net> wrote:
> Delirium wrote:
>
> > We've discussed on and off that it'd be nice to vet specific revisions
> > of Wikipedia articles so readers can either choose to read only
> > quality articles, or at least have an indication of how good an
> > article is. This is an obvious prerequisite for a Wikipedia 1.0 print
> > edition, and would be nice on the website as well.
> >
> > There is a lengthy list of proposals here:
> > http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Article_validation_proposals
> >
> > I wanted to try to rekindle the process by summarizing some of the
> > proposals, which I think can be grouped into three main types, and
> > then suggest some ideas on where to go from there.
>
> Thank you for taking the time to address this.

Ditto.

<
> > Some cons: Either disrupts normal editing through a freeze, or results
> > in duplicated effort with a fork. Also is likely to result in a
> > fairly slow process, so the reviewed version of each article may be
> > replaced with an updated version quite infrequently; most articles
> > will have no reviewed version, so doesn't do much for increasing the
> > typical quality of presentation on the website.

Duplication of effort is bad. Branching, rather than forking, for a
very limited time duration, makes sense for various end uses. For
instance, a single good revision of an article might support a dozen
branches each of which pared it down to a different length. We will
need a better notion of 'article revision history' that supports
branching, or non-linear revisions, to properly allow for this. I
believe there is some theoretical work being done on distributed
version control for text...

Michael Snow writes:
> This option would work well, I think, for two possible uses. One is for
> offline distribution, since there's less point in creating a fork that
> will just be another online variation on the same theme.

It will be helpful to distinguish between branching (which ends after
a point and either remerges with the main trunk or is at least never
modified again) and forking (starting a separate revision history with
different end goals, to continue indefinitely).

Each offline copy gets modified slightly for format reasons, anyway.
The question is whether to provide for such branching within a central
wikipedia database.

< The second possibility I think we would benefit from is the "freeze" option of
> presenting stable, reviewed versions by default to users who do not log in.

This seems a poor and less-scalable way to present stable versions to
users; see other methods below.

Delirium:
> > Proposal #2: Institute a rating and trust-metric system
> > ---
> > Wikipedians rate revisions, perhaps on some scale from "complete crap"
> > to "I'm an expert in this field and am confident of its accuracy and

Naive, single-scale ratings have many problems that I don't see being
overcome. (The advogato suggestions are no panacaea.) Allowing
groups of editors (self-selecting, auto-selected by user properties)
to provide revision metadata that others can choose to see or not see
as they please would be more scalable and less gameable. Some of
these groups could provide metadata of the form 'decent and not
vandalized content'.

> > Proposal #3: Extend a feature-article-like process

I'm not sure what you meant by your example -- for instance by 'work
on revisions rather than articles', as the goal is still a better
article (you can't change a historical revision) -- but this is
effectively what the en:wp validation effort is attempting. This
scales in that it can be split up among topic-centered WikiProjects.
See for instance this list:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Version_1.0_Editorial_Team/WikiProject_full_article_list

Avoiding hard-coded metrics for quality, and encouraging editors
active within a topic to work together to reach quality decisions,
seems in line with how editing has evolved. This is like peer review
and FAC review that already takes place, but can be applied to a wider
spectrum of quality.

--SJ
Re: moving forward on article validation [ In reply to ]
On 6/14/06, SJ <2.718281828@gmail.com> wrote:
> I'm not sure what you meant by your example -- for instance by 'work
> on revisions rather than articles', as the goal is still a better
> article (you can't change a historical revision) -- but this is
> effectively what the en:wp validation effort is attempting. This
> scales in that it can be split up among topic-centered WikiProjects.
> See for instance this list:
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Version_1.0_Editorial_Team/WikiProject_full_article_list

And the new and improved bot-assisted version, which will concievably
allow every article tagged by a WikiProject to have an associated
rating:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Version_1.0_Editorial_Team/Index_of_subjects

--
Kirill Lokshin