Mailing List Archive

jobs
Kelly Martin wrote:
> On 6/1/06, Anthere <Anthere9@yahoo.com> wrote:
>
>>There is something hugely upsetting in the comments I read in this
>>thread. It is seeing people complain things are not publicly
>>discussed... but who do not even comments when the issues are raised
>>publicly. It is seeing people complain things are not done... but they
>>do not do things themselves. It is seeing people complain we do not
>>welcome their help... but they say no when we ask them.
>

> Well, my perspective on the above comments:
>
> I complain about the Foundation to many people. I don't do anything
> about it because the structure of the Foundation is such that I am
> disenfranchised from actually having any influence other than through
> backchannel politicking. The bylaws of the Foundation concentrate all
> power in the Board, and further structured so that a majority of Board
> members are not responsible to anyone but themselves. This structure
> makes the Board inherently resistant to change. I am not sanguine
> that the Board will ever even recognize all of the problems that exist
> right now, let alone come up with a useful solution.

it is the second time I see you using that expression. What does that
mean "I am not sanguine" ? except for not being an orange which is
probably true ?

So I complain to
> my friends and associates, and try to convince them to agree with me
> (that the Board is going about the business of running the Foundation
> in the wrong way) with the vague hopes of eventually convincing enough
> of the Board members to put their personal interests behind their
> fiduciary duty to the Foundation and, for once, start making decisions
> that reflect what is best for the Foundation instead of what is best
> for that individual Board member. (No, I shall not name names. If
> you are on the Board, it's up to you to decide whether I'm talking
> about you or not.)

I do not feel concerned.

> As to being asked to help: The only representatives of the Foundation
> who have ever asked me to help are Danny Wool and Brad Patrick.
> (Well, except for when Jimbo asked me to serve on the enwiki ArbCom,
> but he was doing that as Jimbo, not as CEO of the Board.) Even when I
> told people that I was ready and willing to help, I never got
> requested to do anything. So I've concluded that WMF doesn't really
> want my help. Either this is because the WMF has concluded that my
> talents are of no use to it, or because the WMF has ignored me when
> I've offered to help.

Right. I have one job for you. I forwarded on checkuser list yesterday
an email of someone complaining of misuse of checkuser on fi. I do not
have the time to study the case. You are in charge of exploring the
issue, clarify if there was blantant abuse (in this case, please ask us
to remove the status) or mostly ignorance (in that case, please inform
the checkuser). Do you accept the job ?

> So, yes, you may be asking for help, but frankly I find it hard to
> figure out what help you need or who to talk to about it -- and
> besides, your volunteer coordinators should be working to match
> volunteers with tasks that need doing, instead of making volunteers
> hunt around to find something to do that fits their talents. But then
> again, that's yet another one of the myriad defects of the WMF: the
> Foundation appears to have no clue how to manage volunteers, either.
> (Does WMF even have a volunteer coordinator?)

Interesting question.
Is the job of a board member
1) define the strategy of the Foundation in the long run
2) manage everyday operations of the organisation
3) focus on human management of volunteers ?

According to books, it is 1. According to reality, it is 2. According to
wishes, is it 3 ?

Let me see... I need

1) someone with good knowledge of cell phones to help us figure what we
could do with wikipedia and cell phone (technical description). Able to
answer all emails on OTRS of cell-phone people proposing various
partnership.

2) Someone with good graphical skills to improve the look of a CD for
kids 7-13. And make the external jacket. Speaking french will be a bonus.

3) Someone to clean up and rearrange all pages on meta related to the
Foundation. Good english skills required as well as knowledge of the
Foundation structure

4) Someone to update various pages on the foundation website. To check
the discrepancies between the english version and the other languages
version. To contact the various editors responsiable of this version to
tell them about the discrepancies. Require : access to WMF site and good
communication skills.

5) A baby-sitter at Wikimania for my baby. Skills : knowledge of kids.
Plump preferred. Male, female, trans welcome. Date and location : early
august in Boston.

6) A lawyer or legal counselling to fix broken contracts received on
OTRS. Skills required : patience and availability.

7) Checkuser issue : it seems the privacy policy, the checkuser policy
are not making everyone happy. I am looking for someone to review both
and make new proposals. Additional jobs : doing stats of useage. Asking
Brion to add a system to allow easier consulting. Skills : tough skin.

8) OTRS assistant : job, improve the spam filter. OR, clean up the board
queue.

9) Fundraising assistant : someone to help Mav to write a resolution
allowing the creation of that committee. Then, help to make a GREAT
fundraising before summer. Skills : being creative with good
communication ability. Urgent job.

10) Business development : I need someone to help figuring out how much
are trademarks are worth. Example : if we make a dvd, how much to ask
per item. If we make a board game : how much to ask per item.

11) Also in business development. I need someone to collect the names
and addresses of all mirrors (in all languages) and to contact them one
by one to propose them a live feed; Will require to contact translators
to fix languages templates. Should get a tech description from Brion.
Skills and various : should have tech knowledge and OTRS access.
Multilingual preferred.

More later as soon as I had time to really think about it.

Re: jobs [ In reply to ]
Anthere schrieb:

> 10) Business development : I need someone to help figuring out how much
> are trademarks are worth. Example : if we make a dvd, how much to ask
> per item. If we make a board game : how much to ask per item.

The Wikimedia trademarks won't be worth a damn in the near future
because the Wikimedia Foundation does nothing to prevent them from
becoming generics.

No offense meant to you, you've done your best.

greetings,
elian

PS: second enquiry: Has anything been done about
http://onepiece.elwiki.com/index.php/Main_Page and the
[http://www.elwiki.com/gallery.php rest]?

PPS: Wikimedia Deutschland got 1 Euro per sold DVD, to answer your question.

Re: jobs [ In reply to ]
I have contacted El Wiki about their logo and trademark usage. I have not heard back. This situation will escalate if I don't hear from them.

--------------------------
Brad Patrick
Fowler White Boggs Banker
bpatrick@fowlerwhite.com
(813)-454-3420 cel/BB

> 10) Business development : I need someone to help figuring out how much
> are trademarks are worth. Example : if we make a dvd, how much to ask
> per item. If we make a board game : how much to ask per item.

The Wikimedia trademarks won't be worth a damn in the near future
because the Wikimedia Foundation does nothing to prevent them from
becoming generics.

No offense meant to you, you've done your best.

greetings,
elian

PS: second enquiry: Has anything been done about
http://onepiece.elwiki.com/index.php/Main_Page and the
[http://www.elwiki.com/gallery.php rest]?

PPS: Wikimedia Deutschland got 1 Euro per sold DVD, to answer your question.

Disclaimer under IRS Circular 230: Unless expressly stated otherwise in this transmission, nothing contained in this message is intended or written to be used, nor may it be relied upon or used, (1) by any taxpayer for the purpose of avoiding penalties that may be imposed on the taxpayer under the Internal Revenue Code of 1986, as amended and/or (2) by any person to support the promotion or marketing of or to recommend any Federal tax transaction(s) or matter(s) addressed in this message.

If you desire a formal opinion on a particular tax matter for the purpose of avoiding the imposition of any penalties, we will discuss the additional Treasury requirements that must be met and whether it is possible to meet those requirements under the circumstances, as well as the anticipated time and additional fees involved.
Confidentiality Disclaimer: This e-mail message and any attachments are private communication sent by a law firm, Fowler White Boggs Banker P.A., and may contain confidential, legally privileged information meant solely for the intended recipient. If you are not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any use, dissemination, distribution or copying of this communication is strictly prohibited. Please notify the sender immediately by replying to this message, then delete the e-mail and any attachments from your system. Thank you.
Re: jobs [ In reply to ]
Patrick, Brad schrieb:
> I have contacted El Wiki about their logo and trademark usage. I
> have not heard back. This situation will escalate if I don't hear
> from them.

Thank you :-)

Good to know that someone's taking care.

greetings,
elian
Re: jobs [ In reply to ]
Anthere wrote:
> Let me see... I need
>
> 1) someone with good knowledge of cell phones to help us figure what we
> could do with wikipedia and cell phone (technical description). Able to
> answer all emails on OTRS of cell-phone people proposing various
> partnership.
>
> 2) Someone with good graphical skills to improve the look of a CD for
> kids 7-13. And make the external jacket. Speaking french will be a bonus.
>
> 3) Someone to clean up and rearrange all pages on meta related to the
> Foundation. Good english skills required as well as knowledge of the
> Foundation structure
>
> 4) Someone to update various pages on the foundation website. To check
> the discrepancies between the english version and the other languages
> version. To contact the various editors responsiable of this version to
> tell them about the discrepancies. Require : access to WMF site and good
> communication skills.

More than happy to help with updates, but unfortunately not very
multilingual (damn US schools). Is there anything someone with good
communication skills and a fluency in English, but not other languages,
can do?
> 5) A baby-sitter at Wikimania for my baby. Skills : knowledge of kids.
> Plump preferred. Male, female, trans welcome. Date and location : early
> august in Boston.
>
> 6) A lawyer or legal counselling to fix broken contracts received on
> OTRS. Skills required : patience and availability.
>
> 7) Checkuser issue : it seems the privacy policy, the checkuser policy
> are not making everyone happy. I am looking for someone to review both
> and make new proposals. Additional jobs : doing stats of useage. Asking
> Brion to add a system to allow easier consulting. Skills : tough skin.

More than happy to help with this, and have already run stats privately
several times on the use on en.wiki, and sent them to checkuser-l at
least once; no problem to do on the other projects, since it is a common
log and I have access as an en.wiki checker. What stats would you like?
> 8) OTRS assistant : job, improve the spam filter. OR, clean up the board
> queue.

Can't really help with the spam filter, but more than happy to have a
shot at the Board queue. Of course, I only know the things I've moved
into it, as I'm not allowed to access it, but assuming there are no
three-headed monsters hiding behind the "no permission" screen, I'll do
what I can.
> 9) Fundraising assistant : someone to help Mav to write a resolution
> allowing the creation of that committee. Then, help to make a GREAT
> fundraising before summer. Skills : being creative with good
> communication ability. Urgent job.
>
> 10) Business development : I need someone to help figuring out how much
> are trademarks are worth. Example : if we make a dvd, how much to ask
> per item. If we make a board game : how much to ask per item.
>
> 11) Also in business development. I need someone to collect the names
> and addresses of all mirrors (in all languages) and to contact them one
> by one to propose them a live feed; Will require to contact translators
> to fix languages templates. Should get a tech description from Brion.
> Skills and various : should have tech knowledge and OTRS access.
> Multilingual preferred.
>

> More later as soon as I had time to really think about it.

Keep the ideas coming, always willing to help.

Essjay

--
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:Essjay
Wikipedia:The Free Encyclopedia

Re: jobs [ In reply to ]
On 6/1/06, Anthere <Anthere9@yahoo.com> wrote:
> Right. I have one job for you. I forwarded on checkuser list yesterday
> an email of someone complaining of misuse of checkuser on fi. I do not
> have the time to study the case. You are in charge of exploring the
> issue, clarify if there was blantant abuse (in this case, please ask us
> to remove the status) or mostly ignorance (in that case, please inform
> the checkuser). Do you accept the job ?

I'll look into it. Note that I lack much insight into fi policy or
events, and as I cannot read Finnish, cannot examine their project
pages to meaningfully determine if CheckUser was used inappropriately
there. To whom may I refer questions of that nature?

If you ever have anything else of this or any other nature which you
think I might be able to help with, please feel free to email me
*directly* (or chat with me on IRC). I do not reliably read the
public mailing lists; the signal-to-noise ratio is too low on the
public lists and my free time too limited. I guarantee that any mail
addressed directly to me will be read within 24 hours unless I am ill
or traveling.

> Interesting question.
> Is the job of a board member
> 1) define the strategy of the Foundation in the long run
> 2) manage everyday operations of the organisation
> 3) focus on human management of volunteers
>

> According to books, it is 1. According to reality, it is 2. According to
> wishes, is it 3 ?

The proper duty of the board is to steer the organization, that is,
item 1 above. Item 2 should be handled by the paid professional staff
of the foundation, but the Board has been reluctant to date to hire
paid professional staff, and so has to do those items in lieu of
having them done by that staff. This is one of the major mistakes
that the Board has made to date, and until they correct it they will
forever be struggling to deal with matters they should not have to
deal with anyway. Item 3 falls within the scope of "managing everyday
operations" and should also be handled either by paid professional
staff or a volunteer selected by and managed by the paid professional
staff.

I have no intention of suggesting that the Board should be doing more
than it is doing.

> Let me see... I need
>
> 1) someone with good knowledge of cell phones to help us figure what we
> could do with wikipedia and cell phone (technical description). Able to
> answer all emails on OTRS of cell-phone people proposing various
> partnership.

Not an area I know much about.

> 2) Someone with good graphical skills to improve the look of a CD for
> kids 7-13. And make the external jacket. Speaking french will be a bonus.

My graphics arts skills are about as good as my French.

> 3) Someone to clean up and rearrange all pages on meta related to the
> Foundation. Good english skills required as well as knowledge of the
> Foundation structure

I find the current structure confusing (at least once one gets beyond
the Board itself), and freely admit that I do not understand it. On
the other hand, my English skills are reasonably good.

> 4) Someone to update various pages on the foundation website. To check
> the discrepancies between the english version and the other languages
> version. To contact the various editors responsiable of this version to
> tell them about the discrepancies. Require : access to WMF site and good
> communication skills.

I lack the requisite access to the Foundation site, and being
monolingual cannot help much with reconciliations of translations.

> 5) A baby-sitter at Wikimania for my baby. Skills : knowledge of kids.
> Plump preferred. Male, female, trans welcome. Date and location : early
> august in Boston.

If I go to Wikimania at all, I suspect I will be going to attend
events and actually try to accomplish something productive. And if I
wanted to watch a child while doing this, it would be my own. Sorry.

> 6) A lawyer or legal counselling to fix broken contracts received on
> OTRS. Skills required : patience and availability.

Not a lawyer (althougb not legally clueless), nor do I understand what
you mean by "fixing broken contracts received on OTRS".

> 7) Checkuser issue : it seems the privacy policy, the checkuser policy
> are not making everyone happy. I am looking for someone to review both
> and make new proposals. Additional jobs : doing stats of useage. Asking
> Brion to add a system to allow easier consulting. Skills : tough skin.

Please write me privately about this.

> 8) OTRS assistant : job, improve the spam filter. OR, clean up the board
> queue.

I have no access to the board queue, although I've been working OTRS
for several months now. The spam filter is a technical issue that I
don't know much about (the spam filter I use at work is a commercial
product sold by Sophos and I don't know much about how it works, just
how to make it work, and I'm not knowledgeable of the solution being
used now). I freely admit that my open-source technical skills are
rusty.

> 9) Fundraising assistant : someone to help Mav to write a resolution
> allowing the creation of that committee. Then, help to make a GREAT
> fundraising before summer. Skills : being creative with good
> communication ability. Urgent job.

Not an area I'm good at.

> 10) Business development : I need someone to help figuring out how much
> are trademarks are worth. Example : if we make a dvd, how much to ask
> per item. If we make a board game : how much to ask per item.

I have past experience in this area. Write me privately.

> 11) Also in business development. I need someone to collect the names
> and addresses of all mirrors (in all languages) and to contact them one
> by one to propose them a live feed; Will require to contact translators
> to fix languages templates. Should get a tech description from Brion.
> Skills and various : should have tech knowledge and OTRS access.
> Multilingual preferred.

Write me privately about this one, too.

Kelly
Re : jobs [ In reply to ]
Envoyé le : Vendredi, 2 Juin 2006, 3h27mn 12s
Objet : [Foundation-l] jobs

>Interesting question.
>Is the job of a board member
>1) define the strategy of the Foundation in the long run
>2) manage everyday operations of the organisation
>3) focus on human management of volunteers ?

>According to books, it is 1. According to reality, it is 2. According to
>wishes, is it 3 ?

Actually, according to point 1, the Board should find a solution for point 2 and also for point 3. What else could mean "define the strategy of the Foundation in the long run", if it doesn't begin with solutions for all day problems ?

>Let me see... I need

>1) someone with good knowledge of cell phones to help us figure what we
>could do with wikipedia and cell phone (technical description). Able to
>answer all emails on OTRS of cell-phone people proposing various
>partnership.

Could you be a little more precise, maybe by private mail ? What is the aim ? To get Wikipedia on a cell phone ? Isn't it already possible ?

Traroth

Traroth

Re: Re : jobs [ In reply to ]
Traroth wrote:

> [...]

True.

For that matter, a job description for hiring a CEO was recently
drafted. It seems the board agrees on the job description. We are
currently voting to approve or not a candidate.

Here is the job description (it may have some imperfections, but
overall, it seems to be pretty much what we need).

Position summary of CEO
The chief executive is responsible for the overall administration and
management of WMF, including service programs, fundraising, and business
operations. Areas of responsibility include assisting and working
closely with the board on planning and evaluation, operational policy
development and administration, personnel and fiscal management, and
public relations. This is a full-time position, hired by and directly
accountable to the board of directors through its elected board chair.

Responsibilities
Management and administration
*Develop and facilitate an active planning process.
*Develop organizational goals and objectives consistent with the mission
and vision of WMF, as defined by the board of directors
*Develop and administer operational policies.
*Oversee WMF infrastructure services and public relations activities, to
ensure WMF objectives are met.
*Oversee business development.
*Ensure compliance with funding sources and regulatory requirements.
*Provide information for evaluation of the organization's activities.

Fiscal
*Develop, recommend, and monitor annual and other budgets, in
consultation with the appropriately constituted budget committees, CFO,
Treasurer.
*Ensure effective audit trails with the constituted audit committee
*Approve expenditures consistent with board-approved policies
*Provide for proper fiscal record-keeping and reporting.
*Submit monthly financial statements to the board of directors.
*Prepare and submit grant applications and funding proposals as
appropriate, in consultation with the Grants Officer and special project
committee

Personnel
*Administer board-approved personnel policies.
*Ensure proper (legal) hiring and termination procedures.
*Oversee all personal disciplinary actions.
*Provide for adequate supervision and evaluation of WMF staff and WMF
volunteers

Board relations
*Assist the board chair in planning the agenda and materials for board
meetings.
*Initiate and assist in developing policy recommendations and in setting
priorities.
*Facilitate the orientation of new board members.
*Work with the board to raise funds
*Staff board committees as appropriate.

Public relations
*Assist the communication committee in public relations activities, to
ensure WMF objectives are met.
*Ensure appropriate representation of WMF by all employees.
*Coordinate representation of WMF to legislative bodies and other groups.

Re: Re : jobs [ In reply to ]
> For that matter, a job description for hiring a CEO was recently
> drafted.

Very recently... and now it's being voted on already, despite the
issue that the proposed meeting to discuss this position as not yet
happened.

> It seems the board agrees on the job description.

No... so far two members agree on it, and I'm opposing it.

> We are currently voting to approve or not a candidate.

No... you're voting on whether Jimmy can hire an unnamed candidate of
his choice. The Board are not voting on that candidate.

Angela
Re: Re : jobs [ In reply to ]
On Fri, June 2, 2006 13:16, Anthere wrote:
> For that matter, a job description for hiring a CEO was recently
> drafted. It seems the board agrees on the job description. We are
> currently voting to approve or not a candidate.

I've read Angela's response, and I'll cover the matter of the JobSpec in
another mail as it is clearly very imperfect, but I am very shocked and
saddened at that last sentence there.

For any charitable foundation which expects and *needs* to retain the
freely-donated level of work of its volunteers to engage a COO (as that is
what the description is far closer too rather than a CEO - see next mail!)
without (a) advertising the position to its membership and generally, (b)
publicising the shortlisted candidates under consideration in some manner,
and (c) having an open recruitment process throughout, would seem to be
very contrary to good corporate governance.

I do hope that this is an error, or an extremely *temporary* measure
whilst a proper and effective process is put in place, though imho there
should be no need to rush to an interim appointment given the survival so
far and that a fit and proper appointment could be made within 2-3 months
anyway.

Alison Wheeler
Re: Re : jobs [ In reply to ]
On 6/2/06, Alison Wheeler <wikimedia@alisonwheeler.com> wrote:
> For any charitable foundation which expects and *needs* to retain the
> freely-donated level of work of its volunteers to engage a COO (as that is
> what the description is far closer too rather than a CEO - see next mail!)
> without (a) advertising the position to its membership and generally, (b)
> publicising the shortlisted candidates under consideration in some manner,
> and (c) having an open recruitment process throughout, would seem to be
> very contrary to good corporate governance.

Why would a shortlist need to be publicised? Do you mean actually
listing the names of the candidates, or simply stating that "there is
a short list of candidates"? I am not sure posting the names of those
"still in the running" is that common a practice. Or are you
referring to more publicity within the higher-ups of the Foundation?
Thanks.
--LV
Re: Re : jobs [ In reply to ]
On Fri, June 2, 2006 14:56, Lord Voldemort wrote:
> On 6/2/06, Alison Wheeler <wikimedia@alisonwheeler.com> wrote:
>> For any charitable foundation which expects and *needs* to retain the
freely-donated level of work of its volunteers to engage a COO (as that
is
>> what the description is far closer too rather than a CEO - see next mail!)
>> without (a) advertising the position to its membership and generally, (b)
>> publicising the shortlisted candidates under consideration in some manner,
>> and (c) having an open recruitment process throughout, would seem to be
very contrary to good corporate governance.

> Why would a shortlist need to be publicised? Do you mean actually
listing the names of the candidates, or simply stating that "there is a
short list of candidates"? I am not sure posting the names of those
"still in the running" is that common a practice. Or are you
> referring to more publicity within the higher-ups of the Foundation?

My own view is both. Whilst it might not be a common practice it certainly
happens in some charities/foundations and WMF / wikiprojects generally are
a special case to my mind in that we have a *very* large number of people
involved at editing and sysop management level, with a very *very* small
fiscal/legal/organising operation trying to co-ordinate it all. That
co-ordination function has, I think everyone realises, not been working as
well as it could have in many ways. There are possible solutions I
believe, and being open about the process of trying to improve the
situation is one of the ways to get the buy-in from the general
wikipedians to the required structure.

We are an open project and, imho, our recruitment at the most senior
positions needs to be as open as possible. Whilst I would not expect to
see wikipedians 'voting' on the appointment - there are too many legal and
capability considerations for that to be at all a possibility - the wider
knowledge of the class of people coming forward for the job, and the
general knowledge that the WMF has chosen the *best* available rather than
the nearest/easiest/cheapest available can only be a good thing for wider
support around our projects.

Alison Wheeler

Re: Re : jobs [ In reply to ]
Alison Wheeler wrote:
> We are an open project and, imho, our recruitment at the most senior
> positions needs to be as open as possible. Whilst I would not expect to
> see wikipedians 'voting' on the appointment - there are too many legal and
> capability considerations for that to be at all a possibility - the wider
> knowledge of the class of people coming forward for the job, and the
> general knowledge that the WMF has chosen the *best* available rather than
> the nearest/easiest/cheapest available can only be a good thing for wider
> support around our projects.

I agree with this 100%. Please note that what is currently being
contemplated is the hiring of an internal counsel and an *interim*
executive director. One of the foremost tasks for that interim
executive director would be precisely to participate in exactly the sort
of process you are describing! :)

# Office: 1-727-231-0101 | Free Culture and Free Knowledge #
# http://www.wikipedia.org | Building a free world #
Re: Re : jobs [ In reply to ]
Alison Wheeler wrote:
> I do hope that this is an error, or an extremely *temporary* measure
> whilst a proper and effective process is put in place, though imho there
> should be no need to rush to an interim appointment given the survival so
> far and that a fit and proper appointment could be made within 2-3 months
> anyway.

Well, the idea here is to have someone in the role right away because an
enormous amount of work needs doing right away, and that we will work
toward a "proper and effective" process for an appointment into the future.

We need help, and we need it now. :) And one of the roles of the
interim ED will be to help drive forward the process.
Re: jobs [ In reply to ]
Anthere wrote:

>Kelly Martin wrote:
>

>>On 6/1/06, Anthere <Anthere9@yahoo.com> wrote:
>>

>>>There is something hugely upsetting in the comments I read in this
>>>thread. It is seeing people complain things are not publicly
>>>discussed... but who do not even comments when the issues are raised
>>>publicly. It is seeing people complain things are not done... but they
>>>do not do things themselves. It is seeing people complain we do not
>>>welcome their help... but they say no when we ask them.
>>>

>>Well, my perspective on the above comments:
>>
>>I complain about the Foundation to many people. I don't do anything
>>about it because the structure of the Foundation is such that I am
>>disenfranchised from actually having any influence other than through
>>backchannel politicking. The bylaws of the Foundation concentrate all
>>power in the Board, and further structured so that a majority of Board
>>members are not responsible to anyone but themselves. This structure
>>makes the Board inherently resistant to change. I am not sanguine
>>that the Board will ever even recognize all of the problems that exist
>>right now, let alone come up with a useful solution.
>>

>it is the second time I see you using that expression. What does that
>mean "I am not sanguine" ? except for not being an orange which is
>probably true ?

"Sanguine" in English as in French draws its origins from the French
"sang". It can be applied to many things with a characteristic blood
red colouring including varieties of oranges and pears, and hematite
drawing crayons. When applied to persons the subject gets interesting.
While it is clearly related to people who are red in the face, or often
in relation to large people who have many broken small blood vessels in
their cheeks. English and French physiognomists interpreted the
associated temperaments quite differently. For the English it
represents cheerful optimism, and a hopeful and even naïve belief that
everything will be all right. For the French a sanguine person was seen
as someone with a quick temper (un coléreux), unless you were from that
other school of thought that saw them as possessing a calm practical
sense of things.

>>So, yes, you may be asking for help, but frankly I find it hard to
>>figure out what help you need or who to talk to about it -- and
>>besides, your volunteer coordinators should be working to match
>>volunteers with tasks that need doing, instead of making volunteers
>>hunt around to find something to do that fits their talents. But then
>>again, that's yet another one of the myriad defects of the WMF: the
>>Foundation appears to have no clue how to manage volunteers, either.
>>(Does WMF even have a volunteer coordinator?)
>>

>Interesting question.
>Is the job of a board member
>1) define the strategy of the Foundation in the long run
>2) manage everyday operations of the organisation
>3) focus on human management of volunteers ?
>
>According to books, it is 1. According to reality, it is 2. According to
>wishes, is it 3 ?

I would rephrase that slightly to refer to the job of the Board as a
whole rather than individual members. The first is clearly the most
important job of the Board. It should set broad guidelines for the
second, without getting involved in micro-management. If you trust
someone enough to put him in a position you need to trust him enough to
let him get on with the job. The human management of volunteers is a
very special skill which could be handled at the highest level by the
right board member, but not necessarily.

>Let me see... I need
>
>1)

>11)

The length of your list alone says a lot about the needs that have
developed. We may very well have volunteers who _can_ do these jobs,
but how much can you fairly expect of them?

Ec

Re: Re : jobs [ In reply to ]
Jimmy Wales wrote:

>Alison Wheeler wrote:
>

>>I do hope that this is an error, or an extremely *temporary* measure
>>whilst a proper and effective process is put in place, though imho there
>>should be no need to rush to an interim appointment given the survival so
>>far and that a fit and proper appointment could be made within 2-3 months
>>anyway.
>>

>Well, the idea here is to have someone in the role right away because an
>enormous amount of work needs doing right away, and that we will work
>toward a "proper and effective" process for an appointment into the future.
>
>We need help, and we need it now. :) And one of the roles of the
>interim ED will be to help drive forward the process.

That sounds like it was taken directly from the Manual of the Panic
School of Mangement. ;-)

Ec

Re: Re : jobs [ In reply to ]
Lord Voldemort wrote:

>On 6/2/06, Alison Wheeler <wikimedia@alisonwheeler.com> wrote:
>

>>For any charitable foundation which expects and *needs* to retain the
>>freely-donated level of work of its volunteers to engage a COO (as that is
>>what the description is far closer too rather than a CEO - see next mail!)
>>without (a) advertising the position to its membership and generally, (b)
>>publicising the shortlisted candidates under consideration in some manner,
>>and (c) having an open recruitment process throughout, would seem to be
>>very contrary to good corporate governance.
>>

>Why would a shortlist need to be publicised? Do you mean actually
>listing the names of the candidates, or simply stating that "there is
>a short list of candidates"? I am not sure posting the names of those
>"still in the running" is that common a practice. Or are you
>referring to more publicity within the higher-ups of the Foundation?

As much as I support a more open process, there is a serious privacy
issue connected with publicizing the names of any candidates, including
those on a short list. Only one (if any) is likely to get the job. The
publicity could have an impact on the futre prospects of unsuccessful
candidates.

Ec

Re: jobs [ In reply to ]
Ray Saintonge wrote:
> Anthere wrote:
>

>>Kelly Martin wrote:

>>>Well, my perspective on the above comments:
>>>
>>>I complain about the Foundation to many people. I don't do anything
>>>about it because the structure of the Foundation is such that I am
>>>disenfranchised from actually having any influence other than through
>>>backchannel politicking. The bylaws of the Foundation concentrate all
>>>power in the Board, and further structured so that a majority of Board
>>>members are not responsible to anyone but themselves. This structure
>>>makes the Board inherently resistant to change. I am not sanguine
>>>that the Board will ever even recognize all of the problems that exist
>>>right now, let alone come up with a useful solution.
>>>

>>it is the second time I see you using that expression. What does that
>>mean "I am not sanguine" ? except for not being an orange which is
>>probably true ?
>>

> "Sanguine" in English as in French draws its origins from the French
> "sang". It can be applied to many things with a characteristic blood
> red colouring including varieties of oranges and pears, and hematite
> drawing crayons. When applied to persons the subject gets interesting.
> While it is clearly related to people who are red in the face, or often
> in relation to large people who have many broken small blood vessels in
> their cheeks. English and French physiognomists interpreted the
> associated temperaments quite differently. For the English it
> represents cheerful optimism, and a hopeful and even naïve belief that
> everything will be all right. For the French a sanguine person was seen
> as someone with a quick temper (un coléreux), unless you were from that
> other school of thought that saw them as possessing a calm practical
> sense of things.

That clarifies !!!
As for me, it means something with a quick temper. So, I could really
not make sense of Karynn use.
Thanks Ec (it really helps to be between two languages :-))

>>>So, yes, you may be asking for help, but frankly I find it hard to
>>>figure out what help you need or who to talk to about it -- and
>>>besides, your volunteer coordinators should be working to match
>>>volunteers with tasks that need doing, instead of making volunteers
>>>hunt around to find something to do that fits their talents. But then
>>>again, that's yet another one of the myriad defects of the WMF: the
>>>Foundation appears to have no clue how to manage volunteers, either.
>>>(Does WMF even have a volunteer coordinator?)
>>>

>>Interesting question.
>>Is the job of a board member
>>1) define the strategy of the Foundation in the long run
>>2) manage everyday operations of the organisation
>>3) focus on human management of volunteers ?
>>
>>According to books, it is 1. According to reality, it is 2. According to
>>wishes, is it 3 ?
>>

> I would rephrase that slightly to refer to the job of the Board as a
> whole rather than individual members. The first is clearly the most
> important job of the Board. It should set broad guidelines for the
> second, without getting involved in micro-management. If you trust
> someone enough to put him in a position you need to trust him enough to
> let him get on with the job. The human management of volunteers is a
> very special skill which could be handled at the highest level by the
> right board member, but not necessarily.
>

>>Let me see... I need
>>
>>1)

>>11)
>>

> The length of your list alone says a lot about the needs that have
> developed. We may very well have volunteers who _can_ do these jobs,
> but how much can you fairly expect of them?
>
> Ec

I am a volunteer who _can_ do the job of a board member, but how much
can you fairly expect of me ?

Ant

PS : I will hire a nanny ;-)