Mailing List Archive

Re: Fwd: [Wikipedia-l] Dutch chapter - some background and more
I am top posting and breaking the thread on purpose, as I am not
trying to address all the concerns in this thread, but rather trying
to give a little background and a different perspective.

I have followed, in my position as local chapter coordinator, the
different steps in the founding of both the Vereniging (member
association) and Stichting (Foundation). For those who are puzzled by
this double organisational background, let me give you some
explanation.

A Vereniging is a member organisation, much on the model of all other
Wikimedia Chapters. Its board is elected by the general assembly, made
up of members who pay their fees to be part of the organisation. Note
that members *have* to be part of the Wikimedia projects to be members
of the organisation. Which, if anything, puts the power in the hands
of *the community*.

A Stichting is a Foundation, much on the model of our Wikimedia
Foundation. It has a board that is appointed. One of the members of
this board is appointed by the Verijniging. The reason given for the
founding of this Stichting is that in NL, sponsors, and particularly
governement or other big non-profit organisation, are less enclined
handing out large sums of money to member organisations, as their
"stability" is not as important as that of Stichting.

In the process of the founding of both, there was already much
discussion, that discussion was open (the nl.wikimedia.org wiki is
open to whoever wants to discuss). People there voiced their concerns,
including me.

As I understand it, the Vereniging will be the primary point of entry
for any deals with sponsors that may come to Wikimedia Nederland, the
Stichting will be used as a "buffer" for great-scale projects
involving lots of money, potentially employing people etc.. In that
respect, I believe that the choices made were the good ones.

That's for the background.

Now. I have read in this thread many counter-truths and misleading
statements. Let us make one thing very very clear.

Chapters, whatever their form, color or shape, are not responsible for
the content of Wikipedia or any other Wikimedia projects. Never. Ever.
At best, they will increase the pool of editors through promotion for
the projects. At worst, they have to relay the problems that they are
aware of "may be problematic content" (potential legal issues) to the
Wikimedia Foundation. That's it. There's no *editor* Wikimedia France*
or *Wikimedia Polska* or *Wikimedia Nederland*. There are editors who
pertain only to the projects, there are editors who pertain to both
the project and the organisation. End of the story.

Allow me to doubt that any of the board members of Wikimedia Nederland
blocked anyone on the Dutch Wikipedia "on behalf of the Wikimedia
Nederland". If they did block anyone or edit, it was in their
responsibility as editors or admins, only answerable to the community.
Pretending the contrary is mixing oil and water. It simply does not
work.

As far as the relationship between the Wikimedia Foundation is
concerned, the bylaws of both the Vereniging and the Stichting are
very clear, and leave no room for interpretation as to whether either
is ever going to take over the Wikimedia projects. They are not.

This is for my official statement.

Now, for those of you who have felt left out of the process, I will
say just this, going from a virtual project to an organisation is not
always an easy process. As a matter of fact, I have had the impression
that it was more painful for the Dutch than it has been for any of the
other chapters. However, I am confident that if you feel you need to
change things, you are empowered to do so.

*Backing down* from the founding process and *then* criticizing, is,
in my opinion, definitely not constructive. There is a wiki, it is
open, there is an organisation, you can become a member. The best you
can start with is making sure you have a voice in the Vereniging to
change things from the inside. It starts here:
http://nl.wikimedia.org/wiki/Ledenlijst.

Cheers,

Delphine

--
~notafish
Re: Fwd: [Wikipedia-l] Dutch chapter - some background and more [ In reply to ]
2006/4/25, Delphine Ménard <notafishz@gmail.com>:

> Now. I have read in this thread many counter-truths and misleading
> statements. Let us make one thing very very clear.
>
> Chapters, whatever their form, color or shape, are not responsible for
> the content of Wikipedia or any other Wikimedia projects. Never. Ever.
> At best, they will increase the pool of editors through promotion for
> the projects. At worst, they have to relay the problems that they are
> aware of "may be problematic content" (potential legal issues) to the
> Wikimedia Foundation. That's it. There's no *editor* Wikimedia France*
> or *Wikimedia Polska* or *Wikimedia Nederland*. There are editors who
> pertain only to the projects, there are editors who pertain to both
> the project and the organisation. End of the story.

I may agree with that, and you, but what about the Vereniging and
Stichting themselves? One reason this all started up is that the
Vereniging explicitly states in their statutes that it does not have
influence on the contents of the wikis. The Stichting as far as
possible copied the statutes of the Vereniging, but this point was
apparently on purpose left out.

> *Backing down* from the founding process and *then* criticizing, is,
> in my opinion, definitely not constructive. There is a wiki, it is
> open, there is an organisation, you can become a member. The best you
> can start with is making sure you have a voice in the Vereniging to
> change things from the inside. It starts here:
> http://nl.wikimedia.org/wiki/Ledenlijst.

The criticism is mostly directed to the Stichting, not the Vereniging.
Being a member of the Vereniging will not influence the Stichting.

As for me backing down from the founding process: There was a conflict
between two members in an early stage. I offered to interfere as a
mediator. This was just starting up when the other mediator told me
that because I wrote myself on nl.wikimedia.org, I could not be
independent as a mediator, and thus could not mediate. After that I
left the whole project in disgust. It's not the kind of thing I want
to hear. Apart from that, at the time I left it was clear that a great
majority was in favour of a Vereniging. Yet some people somehow
decided to create both.

--
Andre Engels, andreengels@gmail.com
ICQ: 6260644 -- Skype: a_engels
Re: Fwd: [Wikipedia-l] Dutch chapter - some background and more [ In reply to ]
On 4/25/06, Andre Engels <andreengels@gmail.com> wrote:
> 2006/4/25, Delphine Ménard <notafishz@gmail.com>:
>
> > Now. I have read in this thread many counter-truths and misleading
> > statements. Let us make one thing very very clear.
> >
> > Chapters, whatever their form, color or shape, are not responsible for
> > the content of Wikipedia or any other Wikimedia projects. Never. Ever.
> > At best, they will increase the pool of editors through promotion for
> > the projects. At worst, they have to relay the problems that they are
> > aware of "may be problematic content" (potential legal issues) to the
> > Wikimedia Foundation. That's it. There's no *editor* Wikimedia France*
> > or *Wikimedia Polska* or *Wikimedia Nederland*. There are editors who
> > pertain only to the projects, there are editors who pertain to both
> > the project and the organisation. End of the story.
>
> I may agree with that, and you, but what about the Vereniging and
> Stichting themselves? One reason this all started up is that the
> Vereniging explicitly states in their statutes that it does not have
> influence on the contents of the wikis. The Stichting as far as
> possible copied the statutes of the Vereniging, but this point was
> apparently on purpose left out.

Apparently I have not been clear enough. This is not about you or me
agreeing on anything. It is a fact. A plain fact.

__Wikimedia chapters are not responsible for the content of the
Wikimedia projects__

And that is the case, whether or not it is in their bylaws. If it is,
fine, if it is not, it does *not* make them responsible. Bylaws,
statutes or whatever those are called of an organisation are a
contract between the founders and potentially future members of an
organisation, following a specific local set of laws.

Bylaws and statutes are *not* a contract with the authors of the
Wikimedia projects, in Dutch or any other language, they are not a
contract with the Wikimedia Foundation. They do not give any right to
the chapter organisation over the content of any project.

The fact that something is *not in the bylaws* does *not* give a
power/responsibility that the organisation *does not* have in the
first place.

I hope this is clearer now.

Delphine

--
~notafish
Re: Fwd: [Wikipedia-l] Dutch chapter - some background and more [ In reply to ]
On 25-apr-2006, at 13:13, Delphine Ménard wrote:

> A Vereniging is a member organisation, much on the model of all other
> Wikimedia Chapters. Its board is elected by the general assembly, made
> up of members who pay their fees to be part of the organisation.

Correct. Therefore a large group of users was in favor of a vereniging.

> Note
> that members *have* to be part of the Wikimedia projects to be members
> of the organisation. Which, if anything, puts the power in the hands
> of *the community*.

No, *anybody* can be a member of the Dutch vereniging.
You don't have to be a contributor to one of the projects.

> A Stichting is a Foundation, much on the model of our Wikimedia
> Foundation. It has a board that is appointed. One of the members of
> this board is appointed by the Verijniging. The reason given for the
> founding of this Stichting is that in NL, sponsors, and particularly
> governement or other big non-profit organisation, are less enclined
> handing out large sums of money to member organisations, as their
> "stability" is not as important as that of Stichting.

Well, that is the POV of RonaldB, but of course it is nonsense.
We have a very large and respected vereniging of car-owners here,
called ANWB, plus a vereniging for municipalities (VNG), and on the
other hand we have very obscure stichtingen as well.

> As I understand it, the Vereniging will be the primary point of entry
> for any deals with sponsors that may come to Wikimedia Nederland,

I don't think so.

> the Stichting will be used as a "buffer" for great-scale projects
> involving lots of money, potentially employing people etc..

No, the stichting will engage in *all* kinds of projects.
Not necessarily tied to the Wikimedia Foundation.

> Chapters, whatever their form, color or shape, are not responsible for
> the content of Wikipedia or any other Wikimedia projects. Never. Ever.

Well, RonaldB wanted to change that, and probably still wants to.

> At best, they will increase the pool of editors through promotion for
> the projects.

Neither the Dutch vereniging nor the stichting is devoted to the
projects solely.
Primarily they are to promote the acquisition and release of free and/
or free accessible information in any manner, be it within or without
the Florida based Foundation.

[...]

> Pretending the contrary is mixing oil and water. It simply does not
> work.

You can pretty well mix oil and water. ;-) It is called an emulsion.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Emulsion

> As far as the relationship between the Wikimedia Foundation is
> concerned, the bylaws of both the Vereniging and the Stichting are
> very clear, and leave no room for interpretation as to whether either
> is ever going to take over the Wikimedia projects. They are not.

The bylaws of the vereniging explicitly states they won't.
The bylaws of the stichting don't. They simply state the stichting
will pursue its objectives by all legal means.

> *Backing down* from the founding process and *then* criticizing,

As I have pointed out before, I was forced to back down because the
next meeting would be for board-members only.

> is,
> in my opinion, definitely not constructive. There is a wiki, it is
> open, there is an organisation, you can become a member.

You can become a member of a toothless and pennyless vereniging,
while the stichting has the power and the money.

> The best you
> can start with is making sure you have a voice in the Vereniging to
> change things from the inside.

You can't. The vereniging has no power whatsoever.
It can't control the stichting. (It has only one representative there.)
On the other hand the stichting could easily pay for some sockpuppets
who would then control the vereniging.

+++ Muijz

Met vriendelijke groet,
Erik van den Muijzenberg, medewerker Wikipedia
+ + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + +
Wikipedia is een online encyclopedie in het vrije domein.
De Nederlandstalige versie bevat meer dan 150 duizend
artikelen. U vindt deze op: http://nl.wikipedia.org/

Re: Fwd: [Wikipedia-l] Dutch chapter - some background and more [ In reply to ]
On 4/25/06, Andre Engels <andreengels@gmail.com> wrote:
> 2006/4/25, Delphine Ménard <notafishz@gmail.com>:

> As for me backing down from the founding process:

[snip]

Ah, and I forgot. Just in case it wasn't clear, I was not addressing
*your* email in particular, but all of those in this thread on both
wikipedia-l and foundation-l together. The email I was top posting on
was actually Muijz. Gmail makes it sometimes complicated to follow the
right threads at the right time ;-)

Cheers :-)

Delphine
--
~notafish
Re: Fwd: [Wikipedia-l] Dutch chapter - some background and more [ In reply to ]
Delphine Ménard wrote:

> I am available to continue this discussion privately, or with the
> chapters committee where relevant. I do not wish to engage further in
> this debate here, as I believe this is a matter of the Dutch to
> settle, it is they who should come up with a satisfying answer for all
> parties involved, not those of us who don't read Dutch, nor have all
> the facts.
>

> Cheers,
>
> Delphine
> --
> ~notafish

I am not entirely sure. It is certainly the matter for the Dutch to
settle... but at the same time... there are requests for the board to
approve the relationship between the two organisations and the
Foundation. So it may be best that we are informed before voting...

Ant

Re: Fwd: [Wikipedia-l] Dutch chapter - some background and more [ In reply to ]
2006/4/25, Delphine Ménard <notafishz@gmail.com>:

> I am available to continue this discussion privately, or with the
> chapters committee where relevant. I do not wish to engage further in
> this debate here, as I believe this is a matter of the Dutch to
> settle, it is they who should come up with a satisfying answer for all
> parties involved, not those of us who don't read Dutch, nor have all
> the facts.

I don't see how the Dutch can settle this now. The Stichting and the
Vereniging both exist. The Stichting is fully controlled by its board,
the Vereniging is fully controlled by its members. The only thing that
now happens is that people complain about the Stichting, and the board
defends it. Some people want a Stichting, some don't. Those who want
it, fully control it. Those who don't have no power over it
whatsoever.

About the only thing that can still be done is the decision about how
the Wikimedia Foundation behaves towards the Vereniging and the
Stichting. I would propose to them to NOT recognize the Stichting as
being in any way associated with the Wikimedia Foundation. The best
place to discuss that kind of thing seems to me to be this list.

One reason for this would be the following statements on the
discussion page of Wikimedia Nederland. RonaldB, the person who so
much wanted the Stichting and is now in its board, agreed with the
statement of an opponent that the purpose of the Stichting really is
not to support Wikipedia, but to use the good name of the Wikimedia
Foundation and the proof of concept of Wikipedia to support other
projects that are NOT Wikimedia projects, but are in line with the
goals of the Wikimedia Foundation, see
http://nl.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikimedia:De_kroeg#Reactie_Peter_Boelens

Re: Fwd: [Wikipedia-l] Dutch chapter - some background and more [ In reply to ]
On 4/25/06, Anthere <Anthere9@yahoo.com> wrote:

> I am not entirely sure. It is certainly the matter for the Dutch to
> settle... but at the same time... there are requests for the board to
> approve the relationship between the two organisations and the
> Foundation. So it may be best that we are informed before voting...

Yes, this is exactly what I meant. We need more information, but it
seems to me it is coming here in a very individual and unstructured
manner. And this what I meant when I said I was ready to continue this
conversation in the appropriate places.

Any formal request put to the chapters committee (address on
http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Chapters_committee), will of course be
heard and managed appropriately.

Cheers,

Delphine

--
~notafish
Re: Fwd: [Wikipedia-l] Dutch chapter - some background and more [ In reply to ]
Hoi,
It is a sad situation that a perceived lack of communication gets us
to a state where the long awaited Dutch chapter is even more delayed.
The people who have set up both the "vereniging" and the "stichting"
have done this to set up an organisation in the Netherlands. To get
there, someone had to do it. Now there is an organisation; people can
become member of the vereniging. It is for the members of the
"vereninging" to choose the board of there organisation. When people
are concerned, all they have to do is become a member go to the
meetings and choose or confirm the members of the board.

When the board of the vereniging and the board of the stiching find
that they do not / can not cooperate, that will be the appropriate
time to discuss with the Wikimedia Foundation how to resolve the
situation.

On the nl.wikipedia many moderators have been confirmed for another
year. Both Oscar and Galwaygirl (the chairman and the secretary of the
vereniging io) have received the trust of the Dutch Wikipedia
community. When some people of the nl.wikipedia community want to
clarify the relation between this project and the Dutch chapter, they
find their answer either in the bylaws of the chapter or in the bylaws
of the project.

Practically, the first "ledenvergadering" has to be convened. This
will be the first time where members of the vereniging can decide on
how to move forward. This will be for the members of the chapter and
not for the Dutch Wikipedia community to decide. This meeting will be
public.

When people who do not want to become members and are part of a Dutch
project want to discuss the relation with the Dutch and eventually a
Belgian chapter, they can do so in their project and not bother the
rest of the Wiki world.

PS The Dutch chapter is there to be active in the Netherlands. It
wants to do good for any and all projects. It is not and should not be
only about the Dutch Wikipedia.

Thanks,
GerardM