Mailing List Archive

Re: [WikiEN-l] Indefinite block and desysopping by User:Danny
On 4/20/06, Oskar Sigvardsson <oskarsigvardsson@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 4/20/06, Sean Barrett <sean@epoptic.org> wrote:
> >
> > Death Phoenix stated for the record:
> >
> > > Since Danny didn't apply the WP:OFFICE tag, does that warrant an immediate
> > > desysoping and indefinite ban? I've seen such measures only after an
> <
> > Minor correction: even the ArbComm cannot impose an indefinite ban.

Both the ban and the desysopping were indefensible. Editors should
not be punished for violating nonexistent policies.

Desysopping on more than one project was unprecedented and outrageous.

It is perfectly legitimate to have legal reasons for actions to remain
secret. It is not legitimate to pretend that such reasons don't exist
-- and then punish editors because they really do.

> > Don't let the issue here get buried under discussion of OFFICE. The
> > issue is that Danny, while apparently acting as a common or garden
> > variety admin, -- and not just without discussion, but rather while
> > /actively refusing to discuss/ -- imposed a lifetime ban from Wikipedia.

Right. This is not an OFFICE issue, except insofar as that was the
source of a misunderstanding. This is an issue of misuse of authority
and refusal to communicate, once the misunderstanding had taken place.

--
++SJ

Re: [WikiEN-l] Indefinite block and desysopping by User:Danny [ In reply to ]
On 4/20/06, SJ <2.718281828@gmail.com> wrote:
> Both the ban and the desysopping were indefensible. Editors should
> not be punished for violating nonexistent policies.
> Desysopping on more than one project was unprecedented and outrageous.

I guess that everyone who thinks that it isn't as black and white as
you do is just an idiot?