Mailing List Archive

Re: [Wikipedia-l] Indefinite block and desysopping by User:Danny
BorgHunter schrieb:

> I understand the concerns about the Office action, and how it may have
> posed a legal threat to Wikimedia. The issue at stake here, however, is
> not "Was the Office action justified?" Rather, I think the problem was,
> at a fundamental level, communication. Along the way, it was failed to
> be communicated that the action in question was indeed an Office action.
> Thus, it was acted upon as if it was not.

And then it is okay to revert another admin's actions without even
asking before? This seems to me a problem of lack of good faith an admin
should assume.

If Wikimedia feels the need to
> issue such an action, should it not be clearly labeled to avoid that
> very legal threat to Wikipedia that Danny was attempting to avoid in the
> first place? I hope that all involved have learned from the experience,
> but I don't think that Erik constitutes a continued threat. His action
> was borne of misunderstanding, and actions against him to prevent
> further threats are, now that the misunderstanding has been cleared up,
> unnecessary.

This was not a misunderstanding, this was lack of good faith. Erik
should have trusted danny that he has good reasons for an action which
might not be selfexplaining. If he wanted to know more, he could have
asked. And an admin who acts before he understands the situation can -
as this incident has shown - potentially endanger the foundation.

> I don't think anyone is questioning the legitimacy of the
> Office action here, but I think we all are concerned that a
> misunderstanding led to all this. Again, I ask: Should Office actions
> not be labeled explicitly as such?

It is often better to play things low and not on an official level. I
don't know if this was the case here.

greetings,
elian
Re: [Wikipedia-l] Indefinite block and desysopping by User:Danny [ In reply to ]
Not discussing the legal basis here, total trust in Brad's legal
skills and expertise.

But any action could have been done with consideration.

I'm not famous for being a member of Erik's fan club, though I've
always had respect for both his creativity and his coding ability.
Once Erik had done his mistake, even if it was in a allegedly
malicious drive, what would have been the problem with taking it easy
after Erik took his phone and called Danny ? What whould have been the
problem with re-protecting the page ASAP and telling him on the phone
to *stay away from a serious legal issue* : a seven word sentence to
say.

Now, indefinite block and desysopping at first sight ? The crucial
legal issue is one thing, displaying such an obvious amount of
contempt is another one. Next time somebody is experienced as a
troublemaker for Foundation, one can use subtility, or finesse, or
even mere common sense, instead of shooting at first sight. What could
be expected from that, apart from a new useless conflict ? I'm aghast.

The rest of my comments will go to private lists or mails, if it's
worth it - which I doubt.

villy ~~JC
Re: [Wikipedia-l] Indefinite block and desysopping by User:Danny [ In reply to ]
We are talking of two guys that are quite important for Wikimedia. And
moreover of two guys that know each other. So, I just don't understand
how this could have happened, and why this hasn't been settled in a
private way.

Roberto (Snowdog)
Re: [Wikipedia-l] Indefinite block and desysopping by User:Danny [ In reply to ]
Roberto Frangi wrote:

>We are talking of two guys that are quite important for Wikimedia. And
>moreover of two guys that know each other. So, I just don't understand
>how this could have happened, and why this hasn't been settled in a
>private way.

If you review the Wikimedia Foundation's solicitation for public funds
and the various project mission statements you will find there is nobody
on this planet that is not quite important for Wikimedia and its projects.

Miscommunication happens all the time in human projects. The larger
and more complex a project gets the greater the potential for
miscommunication. Wikipedia is arguably the largest most complex
project ever undertaken in human history or that will ever be undertaken
in human history.

Knowing each other is not necessarily helpful. Perhaps the problem is
not miscommunication but actually disagreement regarding fundamental
project policy, effective methods, cultural imperatives, national law,
or international conflict. Some people do not naturally get along even
when they share missions, values, or previous agreements or cordiality.

I think Eric is German but I could be mistaken. As a result of some
extreme conflict early in the project I do not choose to interact
privately with the God King, his employees, or influential cabal
members. Therefore I do know anything of Eric or Danny other than via
a few public emails encountered semi randomly.

I think Danny is a Wikimedia Foundation employee and probably resides,
works and is a U.S. citizen. I do not know if foundation policy allows
employees to interact in Wikimedia projects via sockpuppets,
anonymously, etc. If one applies the mission statements to the extreme
then obviously we would not wish to subtract access to Wikimedia
Foundation employees' knowledge without somehow verifying somone else
knows what they know regardless of how much it improves operational
efficiencies or progress towards our stated goals in the short term.

So arguably one can discern a situation might arise where one party
might be subject to the U.S. Patriot Act while another party is not.
One might be required by Act of Congress to keep these matters private
as directed by agents of the U.S. Government allegedly acting in the
National Interest while a German (or other) national might or might not
be required by their government or local Patriots, freedom fighters or
terrorist organizations to comply with arbitrary dictates of U.S.
officials acting in violoation of their oaths to protect and defend the
constitution of the United States.

Disregarding the above high level issues let's go back to an easier case
of a simple conflict between Foundation policy mandated (perhaps
privately or unilaterally) by the God-King (or his lawyer or a warrant
from U.S. secret police citing national defense and the U.S. Patriot
act) and some other community participant. If the root cause of the
conflict appears to either party to be fundamental and likely to crop up
again in the future then one party might prefer to discuss it in public.

If one party has found the other party to be unlikely to engage fairly
in private discussion (by that party's personal standards or that
party's interpretation of the published standards of the Wikimedia
community) then they might prefer a public discussion to bring some
third party influence and/or accountability into the negotiations or
discussions.

If you require further complicating factors, imagineering, or rampant
speculation to gain insight regarding how this type of situation might
happen feel free to change the email subject in your reply and we can
continue this discussion on another thread to avoid confusing the
specifics of this situation with abstract discussion of human or legal
factors that might affect public policy at Wikimedia projects.

Incidentally, an easy answer obviously is embodied in the assume good
faith policy. This works well to shut up neophytes in initial
debates. It does not work so well with experienced community members
who have a personal or public data base to consult if assuming good
faith has not worked out well in the past.

Also of possible interest can be comparisons of public and private
databases.

Regards,
lazyquasar

Re: [Wikipedia-l] Indefinite block and desysopping by User:Danny [ In reply to ]
What I find the most mistifying up to this date is no word of "prince"
Danny himself. Shouldn't he at least have said something here. Everybody
is speculating here. But what kind of use is it if Danny keeps being
protected no matter what he does. and if he keeps being allowed to
decide singlehandedly like over my stewardship which he took under cover
of temporary destewardship and it will be debated. Now he refuses any
debate about it and he told me : If it is up to me you never ebcome
steward because you are an idiot.
Danny is acting solitary more and more and is abusing his position.

Waerth/Walter