Mailing List Archive

Jihad in Defense of Objectivity (Was: Enforcing WP:CITE)
All-

The last several dozen messages on this list regarding
Wikipedia citation policy were prompted by Brian's
re-posting of a message I had sent earlier in the week
proposing a change to the page renderer whereby all
factual assertions within an article would
automatically be flagged (say, using red high-lights)
if they were un-sourced. I am truly gratified by the
huge debate which this suggestion has already
generated, and especially grateful to Brian for seeing
enough value in my idea to bring it again to every
one's attention.

This exchange has been truly productive, and the
disagreements that have been aired are, I think, more
apparent than real. One common misconception is that
those of us who are pushing for stronger citation
standards are doing so because we believe in citation
for its own sake, or because we want to blindly mimic
"real encyclopedias", or else because we are in some
way elitist or credentialist and always believe in
deferring to expert opinion.

What has gotten lost in the exchange, I think, is the
fact that those of us advocating a strong citation
policy are doing so only as a means to an end, with
that end being objectivity. The point of an
encyclopedia is to contain objective knowledge,
knowledge which any reasonable person could
potentially confirm by visiting the evidence provided
for it. Ideally such evidence should be as unmediated
and "direct" as possible, but in practice this often
means deferring to an expert authority, because we
either lack the means or skill to reproduce or
interpret this evidence ourselves. This is a
necessary evil, but greatly ameliorated by the fact
that all reputable scholars meticulously document
their results, allowing anyone to reproduce their
evidence later on. Anyone who's read scholarly
journals or monographs knows it is not uncommon for
the footnotes and bibliography (i.e. the evidence) to
take up more pages than the actual text (i.e. the
interpretation)!

Now, just because I think it's valuable to replicate
academic standards of evidence and objectivity does
not mean I think we should blindly reproduce academic
visual/typographic conventions. Just because scholars
put bibliographical/reference sections at the end of
their articles, or make their text unreadable with
lots of footnotes does not mean I think Wikipedia
should also. Let's collect the same data, but think
of better ways to present it. Isn't it ironic that,
memex, the forerunner of hypertext, was thought up
because of the limitations of paper-based scholarship,
and yet we're still talking about how to reproduce
those same limitations within the web browser?

I'm sorry if a lot of this is obvious, but hopefully
the next point is less so- which is that objectivity,
which requires evidence, one means to which happens to
be citation- is not just a scholarly imperative, but
also a moral one. Without objectivity, and the faith
that other people experience the world in roughly the
same ways we do, cooperation and this thing we call
community is impossible. Everyone just does whatever
it is they want and never stop to consider how this
affects other people because without objectivity
knowledge of other people is by definition impossible.

To those who thus maintain that greater standards of
objectivity will damage community within Wikipedia, I
ask you to explain the [[Jihad]] article on the
English language site. This is not an obscure
article; it has gone through 100's, if not 1000's, of
edits and is in the top-10 results list when Googling
on its keyword. Yet this article is a perfect example
of community dysfunction; it is reverted constantly;
it is locked almost weekly; and yet despite all this
activity it is getting worse over time. Because there
is no agreement on what this term even means, the
article is getting shorter and shorter as more and
more of its "controversial" material is shunted off to
sub-articles, where the process repeats itself (see
[[Rules of war in Islam]], under a neutrality alert as
I write). The problem here (leaving aside anonymous
vandals), is not community, it is objectivity. The
warring editors behave unconstructively not because
they mean badly, necessarily, but because they're
trapped in an epistemological hell. It's not only
that there's not enough objective evidence provided
for each assertion, it's that people have no idea
where to find such evidence, or even have the basis
with which to recognize it as such. Thus the
impossibility of consensus, and a continuing edit war
until the article is whittled down to a links page.
Yet isn't the damage done to community, here- in terms
of anger and frustration, in terms of factionalism, in
terms of loss of goodwill and trust- even greater than
that done to knowledge?

I've been working on a new project proposal which I've
deferred announcing on this list partly because I
wanted to do some more polishing to it, but mainly
because it relied upon an enhancement to the software
(i.e. [[m:Wikidata]]) whose completion date was still
a ways off. However, now seems as good a time as any
to make an announcement, so let me provide an
overview. Much of it is identical to SJ's proposal
here and in [[m:Wikicite]].

Phase 1: Toward a more reliable Wikipedia

Citation mark-up is introduced which holds a pointer
to an enclosed factual assertion's proof; proof is
provided via either reference to another work, or with
direct evidence (a photograph, eye-witness testimony,
etc.) when appropriate for the claim. The article
renderer then highlights "evidence holes" with a
distinct, attention-grabbing style that alerts both
readers and editors. Such "footnotes" may be hidden
in the main article, but visible through a new tab
which renders them in a useful graph format. Perhaps
as part of article rating, citations must be confirmed
by the checker; data regarding which assertions were
verified is stored with other article rating
attributes.

Phase 2: Creation of a citation database/authority
text map

Each citation within a Wikipedia article is now
automatically saved within a [[m:Wikidata]] text
relationship database. A text relationship joins two
"[[w:texts]]", and among its other attributes has one
called TYPE. In the case of a Wikpedia citation, TYPE
is by default a positive evidentiary citation- the
Wikipedia article uses the cited book, document,
photograph, etc. as proof of some fact. Yet there are
many other sorts of text relationships, the most
obvious kind being negative citations- one work
attacks the authority of another.

As Wikipedia editors do their research and follow the
citations of those works which they themselves cite,
they are able to create "authority maps" for
literature within various scholarly fields. What is
considered authoritative? What is considered outdated?
They record this information into the text
relationship database. They are not merely copying
other's footnotes, though, since a text relationship
does not have to be "verbalized" within a text. If
they know a particular work contradicts some evidence,
for example, let them record it and so rightly
diminish the work's authority.

Eventually the Wikidata text relationship database
becomes a hugely valuable scholarly tool in its own
right, and acts as the first resort for Wikipedia
editors doing research. Formulas are developed which
rate sources/evidence: incoming positive citations are
good; incoming negative ones are bad. Lots of less
obvious factors like age are considered- a 50 year old
work that's still constantly invoked is probably
particularly sound. Other formula factors are
identified, though anyone can potentially create their
own formulas to run against the data.

Phase 3: The honing of Wikipedia

Using the text relationship database, editors can now
see at a glance what is authoritative within a
particular literature. The article renderer now takes
source quality (generated by the formulas discussed
above) into consideration when rendering each section
of an article. Those parts of the article relying on
weak, discredited, or out-dated sources are flagged
with one style, while perhaps especially credible
sources are "commended" using another. Hopefully a
virtuous circle begins- a citation based upon a work
of popular history is exchanged for one relying upon a
more specialized work, which is later exchanged for a
scholarly monograph or journal article, which in turn
encourages reference to primary sources, etc. By this
process Wikipedia becomes not just accurate, but
scholarly and state-of-the-knowledge.

Please see the following for more details about this
project:

http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/WikiTextrose
http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikicite

Thank you for your time and sorry for the long e-mail.

Re: Jihad in Defense of Objectivity (Was: Enforcing WP:CITE) [ In reply to ]
Jonathan Leybovich wrote:
> All-
>
> The last several dozen messages on this list regarding
> Wikipedia citation policy were prompted by Brian's
> re-posting of a message I had sent earlier in the week
> proposing a change to the page renderer whereby all
> factual assertions within an article would
> automatically be flagged (say, using red high-lights)
> if they were un-sourced. I am truly gratified by the
> huge debate which this suggestion has already
> generated, and especially grateful to Brian for seeing
> enough value in my idea to bring it again to every
> one's attention.
>
> This exchange has been truly productive, and the
> disagreements that have been aired are, I think, more
> apparent than real. One common misconception is that
> those of us who are pushing for stronger citation
> standards are doing so because we believe in citation
> for its own sake, or because we want to blindly mimic
> "real encyclopedias", or else because we are in some
> way elitist or credentialist and always believe in
> deferring to expert opinion.

There is a difference between stronger citation standards and better
citation technology. I am all for better citation technology. I am
completely against raising the entry level of people to contribute to
the Wikipedia project. I do believe that citing sources has its place.
It may prove valuable to make content more NPOV and by minimising
conflicts.
> What has gotten lost in the exchange, I think, is the
> fact that those of us advocating a strong citation
> policy are doing so only as a means to an end, with
> that end being objectivity. The point of an
> encyclopedia is to contain objective knowledge,
> knowledge which any reasonable person could
> potentially confirm by visiting the evidence provided
> for it. Ideally such evidence should be as unmediated
> and "direct" as possible, but in practice this often
> means deferring to an expert authority, because we
> either lack the means or skill to reproduce or
> interpret this evidence ourselves. This is a
> necessary evil, but greatly ameliorated by the fact
> that all reputable scholars meticulously document
> their results, allowing anyone to reproduce their
> evidence later on. Anyone who's read scholarly
> journals or monographs knows it is not uncommon for
> the footnotes and bibliography (i.e. the evidence) to
> take up more pages than the actual text (i.e. the
> interpretation)!

Problematic in you approach is that you are talking about "reputable
scholars"; we are not. We do not pretend to be scholars, that is exactly
what distinguishes our way of producing Wikipedias and other content
from how the traditional publications produce its content. It is also a
line of defence against people who want to sue us for content that is
wrong. We clearly state that our content may not be right and we are
willing, we can and we do either as individuals or as an organisation
improve our content where and when needed.
> Now, just because I think it's valuable to replicate
> academic standards of evidence and objectivity does
> not mean I think we should blindly reproduce academic
> visual/typographic conventions. Just because scholars
> put bibliographical/reference sections at the end of
> their articles, or make their text unreadable with
> lots of footnotes does not mean I think Wikipedia
> should also. Let's collect the same data, but think
> of better ways to present it. Isn't it ironic that,
> memex, the forerunner of hypertext, was thought up
> because of the limitations of paper-based scholarship,
> and yet we're still talking about how to reproduce
> those same limitations within the web browser?

When we find the technology to facilitate better standards, it means
that it will be more easy, more inviting to add these sources. When you
insist on these sources to be there you go too far and you kill the
participation from many many people. The secret of our success is in
enabling people to contribute their knowledge. Most people have never
quoted sources. That is something that is done almost exclusively by
academically trained people. When you say memex I do a [[memex]] and do
not find an article.

I want to point out to you, again, that Wikipedia is a success because
of its inclusive nature. And I want to point out to you, again, that
Nupedia was build to academic standards and a complete failure. When you
want to go over the existing articles and start adding sources you do
something that I applaud. When we insist on "objective" standards, we
make Nelson Mandela a criminal because he was convicted by a lawful
court and send to jail.
> I'm sorry if a lot of this is obvious, but hopefully
> the next point is less so- which is that objectivity,
> which requires evidence, one means to which happens to
> be citation- is not just a scholarly imperative, but
> also a moral one. Without objectivity, and the faith
> that other people experience the world in roughly the
> same ways we do, cooperation and this thing we call
> community is impossible. Everyone just does whatever
> it is they want and never stop to consider how this
> affects other people because without objectivity
> knowledge of other people is by definition impossible.

The consequences of your point of view are not obvious at all. Your
faith that people experience things in a similar way is wrong. When I
see documentaries on TV and I see all these people make their faith
central to their lives, I only wonder. Given that people deny as a
result evolution, find objection to other ways of thinking and have
their big libraries that "prove" their point of view, I fear that you
only raise vandalism to the next level as you will make Wikipedia an
even more fertile battle ground for debaters and POV pushers.
> To those who thus maintain that greater standards of
> objectivity will damage community within Wikipedia, I
> ask you to explain the [[Jihad]] article on the
> English language site. This is not an obscure
> article; it has gone through 100's, if not 1000's, of
> edits and is in the top-10 results list when Googling
> on its keyword. Yet this article is a perfect example
> of community dysfunction; it is reverted constantly;
> it is locked almost weekly; and yet despite all this
> activity it is getting worse over time. Because there
> is no agreement on what this term even means, the
> article is getting shorter and shorter as more and
> more of its "controversial" material is shunted off to
> sub-articles, where the process repeats itself (see
> [[Rules of war in Islam]], under a neutrality alert as
> I write). The problem here (leaving aside anonymous
> vandals), is not community, it is objectivity. The
> warring editors behave unconstructively not because
> they mean badly, necessarily, but because they're
> trapped in an epistemological hell. It's not only
> that there's not enough objective evidence provided
> for each assertion, it's that people have no idea
> where to find such evidence, or even have the basis
> with which to recognize it as such. Thus the
> impossibility of consensus, and a continuing edit war
> until the article is whittled down to a links page.
> Yet isn't the damage done to community, here- in terms
> of anger and frustration, in terms of factionalism, in
> terms of loss of goodwill and trust- even greater than
> that done to knowledge?

Other articles come to mind and yes they are frustrating, I have been
involved in "fundamentalism" and I have given up because some Christian
warriors claimed the exclusive right to that name. Now do you really
think that showing sources saves the day for this article? Are you not
aware that for every article that "proves" a point an other article
"disproves" the same point? Do you not agree you get into a situation
where the discussion degenerates into a fight about the relative merits
of given sources ?

Again, I applaud better functionality and I think we should provide
sources for further reading. But believing that by providing sources we
will provide objectivity is naive. If there is one area where
traditional thinking and an overly reliance on previous thinkers has
proved to be the undoing of progress it is science.
> I've been working on a new project proposal which I've
> deferred announcing on this list partly because I
> wanted to do some more polishing to it, but mainly
> because it relied upon an enhancement to the software
> (i.e. [[m:Wikidata]]) whose completion date was still
> a ways off. However, now seems as good a time as any
> to make an announcement, so let me provide an
> overview. Much of it is identical to SJ's proposal
> here and in [[m:Wikicite]].

I am well aware of what Wikidata is. Wikidata is the implementation of
relational technology within the Mediawiki software. Off itself it
provides you with no functionality. A database design is necessary to
consider if it possible to create the functionality that you describe.
The design of such is database is probably more complicated than the one
of the Ultimate Wiktionary. It is also vital to find people to
understand any proposed design because this designs assumptions define
its function. What I read in the parts below have more to do with
building wonderful functionality than with actual database design.. You
cannot build the code if you have no underlying structure.

Given its complexity and given how hard it is to define this
functionality in a way that makes sense to someone who could make a
database out of it like me, I wish you luck and hope that the
functionality of Wikidata proves useful for showing sources and further
reading as well.

Thanks,
GerardM
Re: Jihad in Defense of Objectivity (Was: Enforcing WP:CITE) [ In reply to ]
Objectivity Is The Greatest...

On Sun, 4 Dec 2005, Jonathan Leybovich wrote:

> evidence later on. Anyone who's read scholarly
> journals or monographs knows it is not uncommon for
> the footnotes and bibliography (i.e. the evidence) to
> take up more pages than the actual text (i.e. the
> interpretation)!

Yes. At some point, it should be possible to construct an "n-depth"
talmud-style view of an article, showing footnotes, annotations on those
footnotes, and annotations on those in turn; each within its own
scrollable window (well, hopefully by then we'll have progressed beyond
'scrollable windows' as a temporary-focus-expanding interface component).
Right now we don't store any of the data needed to have more than one
hard-to-use level of annotation.

> of better ways to present it. Isn't it ironic that,
> memex, the forerunner of hypertext, was thought up
> because of the limitations of paper-based scholarship,
> and yet we're still talking about how to reproduce
> those same limitations within the web browser?

Definitely.

> the next point is less so- which is that objectivity,
> which requires evidence, one means to which happens to
> be citation- is not just a scholarly imperative, but
> also a moral one. Without objectivity, and the faith

This statement deserves a well-argued online presentation. I certainly
happen to agree, but not everyone will, at least not at first.

Thanks for the Jihad example. Ward once said that the real strength in
wikis lies in enabling subtle discussion; in letting two people who don't
know eachother clarify their disagreement down to a very specific, subtle
point -- two variations on a particular sentence or paragraph -- before
they have to break into a meta-discussion.

Providing a mechanism to explicitly cite and anti-cite statements (it is
excellent that you mention both positive and negative links through
citation), and to provide background information about the sources for
cites, allows for another magnitude of subtlety and clarity.

> etc.) when appropriate for the claim. The article
> renderer then highlights "evidence holes" with a
> distinct, attention-grabbing style that alerts both
> readers and editors. Such "footnotes" may be hidden
> in the main article, but visible through a new tab

Yes. Making new features available only through new tabs avoids confusing
those used to the old system.

> Phase 2: Creation of a citation database/authority
> text map
>
> called TYPE. In the case of a Wikpedia citation, TYPE
> is by default a positive evidentiary citation- the
> Wikipedia article uses the cited book, document,
> photograph, etc. as proof of some fact. Yet there are
> many other sorts of text relationships, the most
> obvious kind being negative citations- one work
> attacks the authority of another.

or null citations- a work claiming that there are no supporting /
contradictory claims about a subject.

> Using the text relationship database, editors can now
> see at a glance what is authoritative within a
> particular literature. The article renderer now takes

It is less cut-and-dried than this; one useful comparative view would be
the authority-ranking of major essays/articles in a field assuming
School-of-thought A is correct in its assumptions, and the authority-tree
assuming some rival School B is correct in its assumptions.

Or more simply, just tracking dependencies... for instance getting a quick
look at mathematical proofs which rely on the Axiom of Choice.

> virtuous circle begins- a citation based upon a work
> of popular history is exchanged for one relying upon a
> more specialized work, which is later exchanged for a
> scholarly monograph or journal article, which in turn
> encourages reference to primary sources, etc. By this
> process Wikipedia becomes not just accurate, but
> scholarly and state-of-the-knowledge.

By this process, the claims of the popular works are also being verified
or disproven by Wikipedia authors over time; hopefully that information
can be passed on to the book editors/publishers -- as they too enter the
digital age.

SJ

Re: Jihad in Defense of Objectivity (Was: Enforcing WP:CITE) [ In reply to ]
I think these are some great ideas. In fact, I think some time in the
future we'll see a lot of them implemented.

The problem, I think, is that they are such a radical departure from
the normal wiki process. Wiki markup is currently fairly simple.
There are some more complicated add-ons, such as tables, but for the
most part it's not hard to read and edit wiki-text after a basic
introduction.

Introducing detailed citation features would require either abanoning
that simplicity or abandoning the concept of writing the wikitext
directly. Both of these would be significantly detrimental to the
Wikipedia project in the short term.

I think there needs to be a proof of concept created first. Later,
I'm talking on the order of years, Wikipedia might be able to
incorporate many of the features into the mediawiki software. I think
a nice WYSIWYG editor is a prerequisite though.

In the mean time, Wikipedia articles are GFDL. There's no problem
with copying them, running them through a citation check, making
fixes, and then merging back.

Anthony

Re: Jihad in Defense of Objectivity (Was: Enforcing WP:CITE) [ In reply to ]
Jonathan Leybovich wrote:

>To those who thus maintain that greater standards of
>objectivity will damage community within Wikipedia, I
>ask you to explain the [[Jihad]] article on the
>English language site. This is not an obscure
>article; it has gone through 100's, if not 1000's, of
>edits and is in the top-10 results list when Googling
>on its keyword. Yet this article is a perfect example
>of community dysfunction; it is reverted constantly;
>it is locked almost weekly; and yet despite all this
>activity it is getting worse over time. Because there
>is no agreement on what this term even means, the
>article is getting shorter and shorter as more and
>more of its "controversial" material is shunted off to
>sub-articles, where the process repeats itself (see
>[[Rules of war in Islam]], under a neutrality alert as
>I write). The problem here (leaving aside anonymous
>vandals), is not community, it is objectivity. The
>warring editors behave unconstructively not because
>they mean badly, necessarily, but because they're
>trapped in an epistemological hell. It's not only
>that there's not enough objective evidence provided
>for each assertion, it's that people have no idea
>where to find such evidence, or even have the basis
>with which to recognize it as such. Thus the
>impossibility of consensus, and a continuing edit war
>until the article is whittled down to a links page.
>Yet isn't the damage done to community, here- in terms
>of anger and frustration, in terms of factionalism, in
>terms of loss of goodwill and trust- even greater than
>that done to knowledge?

I would submit that, while citations may improve things somewhat, they
aren't the primary problem on articles like [[jihad]]. There is *some*
disagreement, it is true, over what has actually been claimed by
people. Citations would help this. The bigger disagreement, though, is
over which claims are notable enough to be included, what order they
ought to be included in, how they ought to be phrased, and so on. On
especially controversial subjects, such as what the primary causes of
terrorism are, it is possible to dig up a published reference that takes
nearly any point of view on the subject; on very controversial ones it
will even be possible to find peer-reviewed journal articles taking each
of those points of view. The difficult part is figuring out which ones
to cite and how to summarize and relate them.

That's not to say citations won't help, but I think we ought to be
careful not to fall into the trap of letting citations obfuscate
things. *Especally* problematic are citations to primary sources, which
can slide into original research---the mess of articles on the 2004
election controversy had citations to election results thrown in by the
bucketfull, for example.

-Mark

Re: Jihad in Defense of Objectivity (Was: Enforcing WP:CITE) [ In reply to ]
This is all theoretically very interesting, and I cannot oppose it.
Nevertheless until someone is ready to code this it won't happen .
Meanwhile, many of us who concern ourselves with content still have to
go on with life without waiting for you to do the coding, which could
take a long time.

What would you suggest that we non-technical people do in the meantime?

Ec

Re: Jihad in Defense of Objectivity (Was: Enforcing WP:CITE) [ In reply to ]
Gerard Meijssen wrote:
> There is a difference between stronger citation
> standards and better
> citation technology. I am all for better citation
> technology. I am
> completely against raising the entry level of people
> to contribute to
> the Wikipedia project.

I agree we should avoid alienating new users as much
as possible. So what do you think of introducing new
citation/evidence mark-up which the renderer will then
use to automatically flag "evidence holes" within an
article (see mock-up:
http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Image:WikiTextrose_article_citations.png
)? This would probably be an immediate milestone for
the project as it is something we could implement
without Wikidata.

> I am well aware of what Wikidata is. Wikidata is the
> implementation of
> relational technology within the Mediawiki software.
> Off itself it
> provides you with no functionality. A database
> design is necessary to
> consider if it possible to create the functionality
> that you describe.

I'll put together a datamodel diagram once the
functional requirements of the system are more
well-defined. I've deferred doing so because I wanted
to get feedback from the rest of the community first,
including their reaction to the basic concept. I'll
have a high-level entity-relationship diagram up soon,
though.

Anthony DiPierro wrote:
> Introducing detailed citation features would require
either abanoning
> that simplicity or abandoning the concept of writing
the wikitext
> directly. Both of these would be significantly
detrimental to the
> Wikipedia project in the short term.

The mark-up would look something like:

[[cite:ISBN:123456789:p. 10|"cited
text"|"paraphrase/article text"]]

To me that doesn't seem more complicated than most
other basic wiki mark-up.

Ray Saintonge wrote:

> This is all theoretically very interesting, and I
cannot oppose it.
> Nevertheless until someone is ready to code this it
won't happen .
> Meanwhile, many of us who concern ourselves with
content still have to
> go on with life without waiting for you to do the
coding, which could
> take a long time.
>
> What would you suggest that we non-technical people
do in the meantime?

Erik Möller is working on Wikidata right now, which
may be functional before the end of the year. Once
this is done hopefully I can put together the
beginnings of a prototype.

In the meantime people can help by updating the Meta
project pages: [[m:Wikicite]] [[m:WikiTextrose]] .
Fleshing out the functionality of the system is
particularly important at this stage. Think of how
you would use citation data. What would be the best
way to visualize/present it? What kind of searches
would you like to be able to do with it? Once you
have some ideas create mock-ups or rough sketches of
them and add those to the project page. People with
expertise in library science could also help by
creating lists for the sorts of data we should be
capturing in the "card catalog" portion of the
database. I've been using the "Functional
Requirements for Bibliographic Records" as a starting
point: http://www.oclc.org/research/projects/frbr/
(SJ- can you confirm whether this is an appropriate
reference?). If someone could use it to begin to put
together the list of attributes we need for the "card
catalog" that would be very helpful.

> > Using the text relationship database, editors can
now
> > see at a glance what is authoritative within a
> > particular literature. The article renderer now
takes

> It is less cut-and-dried than this; one useful
comparative view would
> be
> the authority-ranking of major essays/articles in a
field assuming
> School-of-thought A is correct in its assumptions,
and the
> authority-tree
> assuming some rival School B is correct in its
assumptions.

Certainly, though this depends on the field. In
mathematics I'd bet there is relatively little
contention; in the physical sciences probably more so,
and much more so in the social sciences. Hopefully we
can come up with formulas sophisticated enough to
identify such patterns (maybe including schools of
thought). I would like to see a visualization of
citation data for someone like Edward Said, for
example :)

> > virtuous circle begins- a citation based upon a
work
> > of popular history is exchanged for one relying
upon a
> > more specialized work, which is later exchanged
for a
> > scholarly monograph or journal article, which in
turn
> > encourages reference to primary sources, etc. By
this
> > process Wikipedia becomes not just accurate, but
> > scholarly and state-of-the-knowledge.
>
> By this process, the claims of the popular works are
also being
> verified
> or disproven by Wikipedia authors over time;
hopefully that information
> can be passed on to the book editors/publishers --
as they too enter
> the
> digital age.

Right, and not necessarily just popular works if the
Wikipedian is armed with strong enough data. I think
we would all be proud the day such a feedback loop is introduced.

Re: Jihad in Defense of Objectivity (Was: Enforcing WP:CITE) [ In reply to ]
On 12/6/05, Jonathan Leybovich <jleybov@yahoo.com> wrote:
> Anthony DiPierro wrote:
> > Introducing detailed citation features would require
> either abanoning
> > that simplicity or abandoning the concept of writing
> the wikitext
> > directly. Both of these would be significantly
> detrimental to the
> > Wikipedia project in the short term.
>
> The mark-up would look something like:
>
> [[cite:ISBN:123456789:p. 10|"cited
> text"|"paraphrase/article text"]]
>
> To me that doesn't seem more complicated than most
> other basic wiki mark-up.

Maybe complicated isn't what I'm looking for. But consider the
following and whether or not you'd enjoy editing it by hand:

'''Roy [[cite:ISBN:123456789:p. 7|"Roy Orbison's middle name is
Kelton"|"Kelton"]] Orbison''' ([.[.cite:ISBN:123456789:p.9|"He was born
in Foo, Bar on April 23 of 1936"|"[[April 23]], [[1936]]"]] &ndash;
[.[.cite:ISBN:123456789:p.11|"He died that same year, on the 6th of
December"|"[[December 6]], [[1988]]"]]),
[[cite:ISBN:123456789:p.13|"They called him "The Big O""|"nicknamed
"The Big O""]], was ...

Maybe I'm misunderstanding how these cites would be used, because that
was hell; it was even worse than I had thought before going through
the actual exercise.

I don't think wiki markup is the proper solution for this. And that
means significant redesign. Feel free to prove me wrong here, though,
and show us a working model which is just as easy to edit as
Wikipedia.

I think it's a great idea, I just think it's years ahead of its time
(and that assumes it's designed independently of Wikimedia, cramming
it through Wikimedia development processes would only hinder it).

Anthony
Re: Jihad in Defense of Objectivity (Was: Enforcing WP:CITE) [ In reply to ]
Anthony DiPierro wrote:

>Maybe complicated isn't what I'm looking for. But consider the
>following and whether or not you'd enjoy editing it by hand:
>
>'''Roy [[cite:ISBN:123456789:p. 7|"Roy Orbison's middle name is
>Kelton"|"Kelton"]] Orbison''' ([.[.cite:ISBN:123456789:p.9|"He was born
>in Foo, Bar on April 23 of 1936"|"[[April 23]], [[1936]]"]] &ndash;
>[.[.cite:ISBN:123456789:p.11|"He died that same year, on the 6th of
>December"|"[[December 6]], [[1988]]"]]),
>[[cite:ISBN:123456789:p.13|"They called him "The Big O""|"nicknamed
>"The Big O""]], was ...

Interesting example! Correct bibliography should not override reality
checks. Saying that someone born in 1936 died in "that same year",
which also happens to be 1988 leads me to the conclusion that
1936=1988. :-) This may not have been Anthony's intention, but if
what we are trying to say becomes so obscured by citations this is an
omen of our future problems.

>Maybe I'm misunderstanding how these cites would be used, because that
>was hell; it was even worse than I had thought before going through
>the actual exercise.
>
>I don't think wiki markup is the proper solution for this. And that
>means significant redesign. Feel free to prove me wrong here, though,
>and show us a working model which is just as easy to edit as
>Wikipedia.
>
>I think it's a great idea, I just think it's years ahead of its time
>(and that assumes it's designed independently of Wikimedia, cramming
>it through Wikimedia development processes would only hinder it).

Perhaps. When I asked my own question about what the rest of us can do
I was not interested in a lot of theoretical material about what library
scientists put into card catalogues. I was considering the point of
view of a normal Wikipedian (assuming such an animal exists) who is
about to write an article and who already has adequate references that
he is ready, willing and able to use. His problem is to find a
practical way to enter the citations in a way that will scale with the
proposed theoretical framework.

The ultimate database seems more and more like the computer geek's
response the the unified field theory of physicists. There are still
many agnostics among us who would like to see proof of 42's existence.

Ec

Re: Jihad in Defense of Objectivity (Was: Enforcing WP:CITE) [ In reply to ]
> Anthony DiPierro wrote:
>
>Maybe complicated isn't what I'm looking for. But
> consider the
> following and whether or not you'd enjoy editing it
> by hand:
>
>'''Roy [[cite:ISBN:123456789:p. 7|"Roy Orbison's
> middle name is
>Kelton"|"Kelton"]] Orbison'''
> ([.[.cite:ISBN:123456789:p.9|"He was born
>in Foo, Bar on April 23 of 1936"|"[[April 23]],
> [[1936]]"]] &ndash;
>[.[.cite:ISBN:123456789:p.11|"He died that same year,
> on the 6th of
>December"|"[[December 6]], [[1988]]"]]),
>[[cite:ISBN:123456789:p.13|"They called him "The
> Big O""|"nicknamed
>"The Big O""]], was ...

Yes, that is extremely hairy. I'll try and come up
with something more manageable and post it on the Meta
project site for review.

Ray Saintonge wrote:

> Perhaps. When I asked my own question about what
> the rest of us can do
> I was not interested in a lot of theoretical
> material about what library
> scientists put into card catalogues. I was
> considering the point of
> view of a normal Wikipedian (assuming such an animal
> exists) who is
> about to write an article and who already has
> adequate references that
> he is ready, willing and able to use.

Useability feedback is certainly helpful. And as I
said before, people can help by thinking about the
kind of features they would want out of such a system-
what information should it be able to provide? What
is the best way to present it? My proposal is really
only based on my own experiences as an editor, so this
sort of feedback will be extremely helpful.

Re: Jihad in Defense of Objectivity (Was: Enforcing WP:CITE) [ In reply to ]
On 12/6/05, Ray Saintonge <saintonge@telus.net> wrote:
> Anthony DiPierro wrote:
>
> >Maybe complicated isn't what I'm looking for. But consider the
> >following and whether or not you'd enjoy editing it by hand:
> >
> >'''Roy [[cite:ISBN:123456789:p. 7|"Roy Orbison's middle name is
> >Kelton"|"Kelton"]] Orbison''' ([.[.cite:ISBN:123456789:p.9|"He was born
> >in Foo, Bar on April 23 of 1936"|"[[April 23]], [[1936]]"]] &ndash;
> >[.[.cite:ISBN:123456789:p.11|"He died that same year, on the 6th of
> >December"|"[[December 6]], [[1988]]"]]),
> >[[cite:ISBN:123456789:p.13|"They called him "The Big O""|"nicknamed
> >"The Big O""]], was ...
> >
> Interesting example! Correct bibliography should not override reality
> checks. Saying that someone born in 1936 died in "that same year",
> which also happens to be 1988 leads me to the conclusion that
> 1936=1988. :-) This may not have been Anthony's intention, but if
> what we are trying to say becomes so obscured by citations this is an
> omen of our future problems.

Well, yeah, that was intentional. As I was performing the exercise I
thought about how not all references are going to be as neat and clean
as containing the exact statement in the original. What if the
reference has a big long paragraph starting with "In 1988, Orbison
began [blah blah whatever]" and ending with "He died that same year".
Do you quote the whole paragraph, do you use ellipsis (in hindsight I
guess that would be the best solution), do you just add [1988] after
"that same year" (in which case why bother with the exact quote in the
first place)? It's not so cut and dry.

I was thinking about this yesterday and I imagined some even cooler
things that could be done, such as scanning in the actual page itself
(it could be hosted on a separate site, with lots of access
restrictions, under fair use). But now we're talking even more of a
pipe dream than the original plan.

> >Maybe I'm misunderstanding how these cites would be used, because that
> >was hell; it was even worse than I had thought before going through
> >the actual exercise.
> >
> >I don't think wiki markup is the proper solution for this. And that
> >means significant redesign. Feel free to prove me wrong here, though,
> >and show us a working model which is just as easy to edit as
> >Wikipedia.
> >
> >I think it's a great idea, I just think it's years ahead of its time
> >(and that assumes it's designed independently of Wikimedia, cramming
> >it through Wikimedia development processes would only hinder it).
> >

> Perhaps. When I asked my own question about what the rest of us can do
> I was not interested in a lot of theoretical material about what library
> scientists put into card catalogues. I was considering the point of
> view of a normal Wikipedian (assuming such an animal exists) who is
> about to write an article and who already has adequate references that
> he is ready, willing and able to use. His problem is to find a
> practical way to enter the citations in a way that will scale with the
> proposed theoretical framework.

Well, I think a good starting point would be to simply put the
reference(s) in the comment field. Then someone or some software
could later go through those references and apply them to the
appropriate text (based on the diff). I go back and forth as to
whether or not it'd be a good idea to have a separate field for this
(and whether or not to require it to be filled out, at least for
non-minor edits).

Putting in a reference with every single edit is probably a good idea
(reverts of vandalism being at least one exception), but I can't even
force myself to do it, so I guess it's best kept as some elusive
target rather than a real requirement. It'd certainly slow down
editing, especially if you got carried away with it (fixing a spelling
error and referencing the page in the OED).

> The ultimate database seems more and more like the computer geek's
> response the the unified field theory of physicists. There are still
> many agnostics among us who would like to see proof of 42's existence.
>
> Ec

Well, yeah, to really do it well you almost need artificial
intelligence, the holy grail of computer science.

Anthony
Re: Jihad in Defense of Objectivity (Was: Enforcing WP:CITE) [ In reply to ]
On 12/6/05, Jonathan Leybovich <jleybov@yahoo.com> wrote:
> > Anthony DiPierro wrote:
> >
> >Maybe complicated isn't what I'm looking for. But
> > consider the
> > following and whether or not you'd enjoy editing it
> > by hand:
> >
> >'''Roy [[cite:ISBN:123456789:p. 7|"Roy Orbison's
> > middle name is
> >Kelton"|"Kelton"]] Orbison'''
> > ([.[.cite:ISBN:123456789:p.9|"He was born
> >in Foo, Bar on April 23 of 1936"|"[[April 23]],
> > [[1936]]"]] –
> >[.[.cite:ISBN:123456789:p.11|"He died that same year,
> > on the 6th of
> >December"|"[[December 6]], [[1988]]"]]),
> >[.[.cite:ISBN:123456789:p.13|"They called him "The
> > Big O""|"nicknamed
> >"The Big O""]], was ...
>
> Yes, that is extremely hairy. I'll try and come up
> with something more manageable and post it on the Meta
> project site for review.

Hmm, just throwing something out there, but what if this is all kept
on a separate page? So you'd have the regular wikitext, and then
you'd have a list of references, in the form (reference, cited text,
article text). One problem with this is if the article text changes
*at all* the reference would have to be updated. But *eventually*
mechanisms could be designed to resolve this, once we get away from
editing articles using raw ascii text.

As long as the article text in the reference matches the article text
in the article (you could even ignore markup if you want), then you
can tie the two back together to create those nice graphics. Plus, at
least as the format of the reference itself gets more standardised,
you can start to generate the ==References== section automatically
(combining multiple references from the same source, standardising
into whatever format, optionally disincluding certain references).

Anyway, I just came up with this now, so I haven't completely thought
it through, but I figured it's something to throw out there.

Anthony
Re: Jihad in Defense of Objectivity (Was: Enforcing WP:CITE) [ In reply to ]
On Wed, 7 Dec 2005, Anthony DiPierro wrote:
> On 12/6/05, Jonathan Leybovich <jleybov@yahoo.com> wrote:
> > Anthony DiPierro wrote:
> >
> >Maybe complicated isn't what I'm looking for. But
> > consider the
> > following and whether or not you'd enjoy editing it
> > by hand:
> >
> >'''Roy [[cite:ISBN:123456789:p. 7|"Roy Orbison's
> > middle name is
> >Kelton"|"Kelton"]] Orbison'''

No, this isn't the kind of markup you want to see when you 'edit this
page', though you could make it editable-by-hand at some deep level.

Yes, there should be a separate references page.

One piece of markup you *do* want to see in the regular page-editing is an
auto-citation generator that will subst: in the default cite for a given
ISBN or other identifier... just to save time.

Yes, having auto-generated References and Footnotes sections should be
possible... though you would also want a manually-edited subsection of
References.

Anthony writes:
> Hmm, just throwing something out there, but what if this is all kept
> on a separate page? So you'd have the regular wikitext, and then
> you'd have a list of references, in the form (reference, cited text,
> article text). One problem with this is if the article text changes

Definitely. Bear in mind that most references are best-done in the form
of footnotes, floating at the end of a sentence, and only very loosely
assigned to a specific block of text (the default chunk would be the
preceding sentence, perhaps with simple markup that identifies the
preceding N sentences or the entire paragraph). So these can be in the
wikitext in the form of a footnote; both linking to a short-cite at the
end of a page, and to a full-cite (including perhaps the entire
sentence-text when the cite was first inserted? with some semi-automated
way to update that text?) on its References: page.

The References: page should just be a versioned wiki-page like any other,
but in a specific format that allows for auto-additions and auto-updates
when the article itself is changed in certain ways.

Re: Jihad in Defense of Objectivity (Was: Enforcing WP:CITE) [ In reply to ]
Anthony DiPierro wrote:

>On 12/6/05, Ray Saintonge <saintonge@telus.net> wrote:
>

>>Anthony DiPierro wrote:
>>

>>>Maybe complicated isn't what I'm looking for. But consider the
>>>following and whether or not you'd enjoy editing it by hand:
>>>
>>>'''Roy [[cite:ISBN:123456789:p. 7|"Roy Orbison's middle name is
>>>Kelton"|"Kelton"]] Orbison''' ([.[.cite:ISBN:123456789:p.9|"He was born
>>>in Foo, Bar on April 23 of 1936"|"[[April 23]], [[1936]]"]] &ndash;
>>>[.[.cite:ISBN:123456789:p.11|"He died that same year, on the 6th of
>>>December"|"[[December 6]], [[1988]]"]]),
>>>[[cite:ISBN:123456789:p.13|"They called him "The Big O""|"nicknamed
>>>"The Big O""]], was ...
>>>

>>Interesting example! Correct bibliography should not override reality
>>checks. Saying that someone born in 1936 died in "that same year",
>>which also happens to be 1988 leads me to the conclusion that
>>1936=1988. :-) This may not have been Anthony's intention, but if
>>what we are trying to say becomes so obscured by citations this is an
>>omen of our future problems.
>>

>Well, yeah, that was intentional.

Great! I suspected that possibility, but couldn't be sure.

> As I was performing the exercise I
>thought about how not all references are going to be as neat and clean
>as containing the exact statement in the original. What if the
>reference has a big long paragraph starting with "In 1988, Orbison
>began [blah blah whatever]" and ending with "He died that same year".
>Do you quote the whole paragraph, do you use ellipsis (in hindsight I
>guess that would be the best solution), do you just add [1988] after
>"that same year" (in which case why bother with the exact quote in the
>first place)? It's not so cut and dry.

It needs to be adaptable to the different writing styles of different
authors.

>I was thinking about this yesterday and I imagined some even cooler
>things that could be done, such as scanning in the actual page itself
>(it could be hosted on a separate site, with lots of access
>restrictions, under fair use). But now we're talking even more of a
>pipe dream than the original plan.

It will be interesting to watch how Google gets throught the courts with
its book search feature. If we're lucky the courts will give us some
valuable guidance on points that matter to us.

>>>Maybe I'm misunderstanding how these cites would be used, because that
>>>was hell; it was even worse than I had thought before going through
>>>the actual exercise.
>>>
>>>I don't think wiki markup is the proper solution for this. And that
>>>means significant redesign. Feel free to prove me wrong here, though,
>>>and show us a working model which is just as easy to edit as
>>>Wikipedia.
>>>
>>>I think it's a great idea, I just think it's years ahead of its time
>>>(and that assumes it's designed independently of Wikimedia, cramming
>>>it through Wikimedia development processes would only hinder it).
>>>

>>Perhaps. When I asked my own question about what the rest of us can do
>>I was not interested in a lot of theoretical material about what library
>>scientists put into card catalogues. I was considering the point of
>>view of a normal Wikipedian (assuming such an animal exists) who is
>>about to write an article and who already has adequate references that
>>he is ready, willing and able to use. His problem is to find a
>>practical way to enter the citations in a way that will scale with the
>>proposed theoretical framework.
>>

>Well, I think a good starting point would be to simply put the
>reference(s) in the comment field. Then someone or some software
>could later go through those references and apply them to the
>appropriate text (based on the diff). I go back and forth as to
>whether or not it'd be a good idea to have a separate field for this
>(and whether or not to require it to be filled out, at least for
>non-minor edits).
>
>Putting in a reference with every single edit is probably a good idea
>(reverts of vandalism being at least one exception), but I can't even
>force myself to do it, so I guess it's best kept as some elusive
>target rather than a real requirement. It'd certainly slow down
>editing, especially if you got carried away with it (fixing a spelling
>error and referencing the page in the OED).

When I was doing more with Wikisource I raised the possibility of
synchronized side-by-side edit boxes. I had translations in mind at the
time, but it could work equally well for annotations and references.
For word references, I look forward to having Wiktionary fulfill that
function, but even with 106,000 entries we are still far from being
comprehensive enough to do that well.

Documenting is tedious business. With the meaning of words in
particular I find that people add meanings from their own memories, and
that can be far from accurate. That sphere also has an ongoing debate
between descriptivism and prescriptivism. It's easy to spend an hour
documenting a single word in simple cases. Common words can be far more
problematical.

As much as we may want to see everything documented a reasonable balance
needs to be found that will still encourage contributors to go as far as
they want beyond minimum standards. We need to establish minimum
standards that can even vary with the type of article. Biographical
articles about living persons would certainly require a higher standard
than biographies of Pokémon characters.

Ec