Mailing List Archive

501(c)(3) status granted to Wikimedia Foundation
Quoting from a letter from the IRS:

Dear Applicant:

We are pleased to inform you that upon review of your application for
tax exempt status we have determined that you are exempt from Federal
income tax under section 501(c)(3) of the Internal Revenue Codfe.
Contributions to you are deductible under section 170 of the Code. You
are also qualified to receive tax deductible bequests, devises,
transfers or gifts under section 2055, 2106 or 2522 of the Code.
Because this letter could help resolve any questions regarding your
extempt status, you should keep it in your permanent records.

Organizations exempt under section 501(c)(3) of the Code are further
classified as either public charities or private foundations. We
determined that you are a public charity under the Code section(s)
listen in the heading of this letter.

-----

Hooray! Finally!

The effective date of the exemption is June 20, 2003 (our founding
date), so this is fully retroactive.

--Jimbo
Re: 501(c)(3) status granted to Wikimedia Foundation [ In reply to ]
> Hooray! Finally!
>
> The effective date of the exemption is June 20, 2003 (our founding
> date), so this is fully retroactive.

Grand. next should be the French chapter, since the bylaws have been
written so as to ensure that same tax deductibility. the next step
after the general assembly next week should be to obtain confirmation
that Wikimedia france can benefit from the "intérêt général" status
which offers tax deductibility for donators.
As a matter of fact, recent changes in the "associations" law have
made it easier and better for people who donate to an organisation
that is recognized of "general interest", which should serve
Wikimedia France and thus the Foundation, by inciting donators to give
more ;)

Delphine
~notafish
Re: 501(c)(3) status granted to Wikimedia Foundation [ In reply to ]
On 4/16/05, Jimmy Wales <jwales@wikia.com> wrote:

> Hooray! Finally!
>
> The effective date of the exemption is June 20, 2003 (our founding
> date), so this is fully retroactive.
>
> --Jimbo

Great news indeed!
Re: 501(c)(3) status granted to Wikimedia Foundation [ In reply to ]
Jimmy Wales wrote:

> Quoting from a letter from the IRS:
>
> We are pleased to inform you that upon review of your application for
> tax exempt status we have determined that you are exempt from Federal
> income tax under section 501(c)(3) of the Internal Revenue Codfe.
> Contributions to you are deductible under section 170 of the Code.
> You are also qualified to receive tax deductible bequests, devises,
> transfers or gifts under section 2055, 2106 or 2522 of the Code.
> Because this letter could help resolve any questions regarding your
> extempt status, you should keep it in your permanent records.

I presume that "extempt" is your typo rather than something that was in
the letter from the IRS. :'(

Ec
Re: 501(c)(3) status granted to Wikimedia Foundation [ In reply to ]
On 4/17/05, Dori <slowpoke@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 4/16/05, Jimmy Wales <jwales@wikia.com> wrote:
> >
> > Hooray! Finally!
> >
> > The effective date of the exemption is June 20, 2003 (our founding
> > date), so this is fully retroactive.
> >
> > --Jimbo
> >

> Great news indeed!

Really.
Angela announced it already on the Home page of WMF site. Any language
translators are invited to upldate "Latest news" to announce that, as
same as currently published privacy policy announcement by Anthere ...
;-)

Aphaea@*.wikipedia.org
email: Aphaia @ gmail (dot) com
Re: 501(c)(3) status granted to Wikimedia Foundation [ In reply to ]
Wonderful ! You should scan it in for posterity.

--SJ, sure they were working hard to get it postmarked by April 15.

--
+sj+
Re: 501(c)(3) status granted to Wikimedia Foundation [ In reply to ]
--- Jimmy Wales <jwales@wikia.com> wrote:
> Hooray! Finally!
>
> The effective date of the exemption is June 20, 2003 (our founding
> date), so this is fully retroactive.

Spread the word. Time to email every one of our thousands of donors in the U.S.
Too bad we didn't know about this until *after* tax day. :(

-- mav

http://travel.yahoo.com/p-travelguide
Re: 501(c)(3) status granted to Wikimedia Foundation [ In reply to ]
It's also a nice excuse to get around to thanking all of them properly. SJ

--
User:Sj | Wikimedia, now a 501c3 -- http://wikimediafoundation.org/wiki/Home
Re: 501(c)(3) status granted to Wikimedia Foundation [ In reply to ]
Ray Saintonge wrote:
> Jimmy Wales wrote:
>
>> Quoting from a letter from the IRS:
>>
>> We are pleased to inform you that upon review of your application for
>> tax exempt status we have determined that you are exempt from Federal
>> income tax under section 501(c)(3) of the Internal Revenue Codfe.
>> Contributions to you are deductible under section 170 of the Code.
>> You are also qualified to receive tax deductible bequests, devises,
>> transfers or gifts under section 2055, 2106 or 2522 of the Code.
>> Because this letter could help resolve any questions regarding your
>> extempt status, you should keep it in your permanent records.
>
> I presume that "extempt" is your typo rather than something that was in
> the letter from the IRS. :'(

Is that really the only typo you noticed? :-)
Re: 501(c)(3) status granted to Wikimedia Foundation [ In reply to ]
This is a great new in any cases.

Anyway, the things to do are now

* put the announcement on WMF main page (done by Angela)

* on the donation pages (done in some pages, but not all languages yet,
example
http://wikimediafoundation.org/wiki/Fundraising_%28Fran%C3%A7ais%29/D%C3%A9duction_des_dons)

* mention it in Quarto (will do)

* decide how this will be handled. I do not remember if it was discussed
yet... but will we provide the paper to the donator,

- by electronic mean. Such as a pdf... is it legal ?

- or by snail mail ? In this later case, that means forms must allow to
gather address. Someone should take care of all the paperworks (who ?).

In short, how do we plan to handle this technically speaking ? What is
possible to do with the previous ones ? There is mention that this is
retroactive. Can we do something for the grants or big donations we had ?

Ant

Re: Re: 501(c)(3) status granted to Wikimedia Foundation [ In reply to ]
Re: Re: 501(c)(3) status granted to Wikimedia Foundation [ In reply to ]
On 4/18/05, Jimmy Wales <jwales@wikia.com> wrote:
> Now, we'll have a scan of the letter posted online soon.

A scan of the original is available on the Foundation website at
http://wikimediafoundation.org/wiki/Image:501%28c%293_Letter.png

Angela.
Re: 501(c)(3) status granted to Wikimedia Foundation [ In reply to ]
Angela a écrit:
> On 4/18/05, Jimmy Wales <jwales@wikia.com> wrote:
>
>>Now, we'll have a scan of the letter posted online soon.
>

> A scan of the original is available on the Foundation website at
> http://wikimediafoundation.org/wiki/Image:501%28c%293_Letter.png
>
> Angela.

It is also available on meta, and has been included in the board report
(under work) for next quarto :
http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Translation_requests/WQ/3/En/3

ant
Re: Re: 501(c)(3) status granted to Wikimedia Foundation [ In reply to ]
On 4/23/05, Anthere <anthere9@yahoo.com> wrote:

> Angela a écrit:
> > On 4/18/05, Jimmy Wales <jwales@wikia.com> wrote:
> >
> >>Now, we'll have a scan of the letter posted online soon.
> >

> > A scan of the original is available on the Foundation website at
> > http://wikimediafoundation.org/wiki/Image:501%28c%293_Letter.png
> >
> > Angela.
>
> It is also available on meta, and has been included in the board report
> (under work) for next quarto :
> http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Translation_requests/WQ/3/En/3
>
> ant

Ahh, beat me to it :) Any word on what kind of templates to send
donors? A friend of mine at a local non-profit says they make an
effort to send a specific tax-friendly response to donors at the end
of each year.

SJ