Mailing List Archive

Re: Omidyar Network Commits $2 Million Grant to Wikimedia Foundation
Gregory Maxwell wrote:
> On Tue, Aug 25, 2009 at 5:47 PM, Steven Walling<steven.walling@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> I think everyone needs to calm down a little.
>> Remember that we just got 2 million dollars to further our mission, and that
>> the board seat appointment (which isn't an unusual practice, at least in my
>> experience) does nothing to impede our work and the positive impact we can
>> have. It's the exact opposite, in fact.
>>
> Indeed. Per the FAQ — it's a $2m unrestricted grant paid out in four chunks.
>
> Grants that big without specific targeted goals are somewhat unusual.
> Arguably the imposition of goals has a lot more influence on the
> operation of an origination than a simple board seat, even if it's a
> voting seat.
As Gregory points out, it's fairly unusual for foundations to make
grants of unrestricted money, and we've been quite fortunate to have
those as we develop our capacity to carry out the sorts of projects that
they will provide restricted grants for (like the usability initiative).
The Omidyar Network, in addition to making grants, likes to make itself
available as a resource for grantees, rather than simply handing out
money and then disappearing. For one example, their human resources
executive, also someone with experience as an eBay executive in that
area, could be a big help for us as we tackle hiring key positions such
as a CTO. And in a similar fashion we feel that Matt can be a resource
for us as a board member. He has extensive experience in strategic
planning processes, at eBay and previously in his consulting work, and
also has important nonprofit experience, serving on the boards of
organizations like DonorsChoose.org and the Sunlight Foundation.

As I mentioned earlier, Jay was going to publish the press releases and
Q&A, but as Erik explained we had some internet problems, so that's why
some of this was passed through via the external version of the press
release. I had also intended to write an additional note to the list
about the grant, but lost my internet connection immediately after I
sent the first one. The information is all posted on the foundation
website now that we have connectivity again:
http://wikimediafoundation.org/wiki/Press_releases/Omidyar_Network_Grant_August_2009
http://wikimediafoundation.org/wiki/Press_releases/Omidyar_Network_Grant_August_2009QA
http://wikimediafoundation.org/wiki/Press_releases/Board_Announcements_August_2009

--Michael Snow

Re: Omidyar Network Commits $2 Million Grant to Wikimedia Foundation [ In reply to ]
Thank you James.

Some bizarre claims are simply not worthy of serious response. For the
record, the community is far from irrelevant: the community is the most
important thing, full stop.

Re: Omidyar Network Commits $2 Million Grant to Wikimedia Foundation [ In reply to ]
...still, I have to acknowledge that money is the root of Evil, and
it's getting harder and harder as these dollar bills start to pile up
where do they go and why...

...the reports get more and more vague, the report items get more and
more broad, and at the end we start to see hundreds of those bills go
out for "consultancy", "administration" and "travel expenses" titled
items...

But I don't necessarily talk about ourselves but successful NGOs in general.

Pitiable world we live in.
grin

Re: Omidyar Network Commits $2 Million Grant to Wikimedia Foundation [ In reply to ]
When Matt Halprin is on the board of Wikimedia, he is doing his job for
Omidyar Network. So, when we read, a statement like:

> [Matt Halprin] has important nonprofit experience, serving on the boards of
> organizations like DonorsChoose.org and the Sunlight Foundation.

Just remember that he was put on the board of Sunlight Foundation it was the
same day ON cut them a check for $2M [1], and similarly, although he is on
the board of DonorsChoose, ON has given them over $6M so far [2].

I think it's good to remember that when he makes vote on the board of WM, he
is doing so with as much interesest in his role as board member as he is in
his roll at ON, which is to lead their Media, Markets & Transparency
initiative [3]. Within those three, Wikimedia is considered to be a "Social
Media," investment, and the goal that ON is tryign to achieving in investing
in these kinds of initiatives is to:

"We aspire to amplify the transformative character of social media and
facilitate the creation, discovery, and distribution of trustworthy
information and original content. We hope to enable more individuals to
express themselves, make more informed decisions, connect with others, and
take action on what matters to them." [4]

So, yes, I think ON has bought a seat on the board, and I even think that it
is likely that Matt personally orchestrated that it. But, taking a big step
back, I also really trust the ON and I think the choices Matt has made on
their behalf over the past year or so have been really smart decisions. I
think he'll bring a lot to the board and I hope that this will be the start
of a beautiful relationship for the ON and WM foundation.

Best of luck to everyone!