Mailing List Archive

Board elections email adding insult to injury
I have just received an email that I am elligable to vote in the board
elections.

While I am inelligeble as I am blocked on the nl.wikipedia since 3
months already.

This ads insult to injury.

As I was blocked on request of a sockpupeteer whom is now blocked
himself together with multiple other accounts.
As 3 months ago the arbcom said it accepted the case regarding my block.
The blocking mod did it without community consensus and is a part of the
arbcom himself (which explains why it is taking them 3 months already)
In every case the Dutch arbcom emails the person and asks them for their
side of the story. In 3 months NO member of the Dutch arbcom has even
bothered to mail me. They have only asked their blocking fellow arbcom
member for a statement!! How do you mean this is rigging things?
My block was doubled because when checking another account it was
claimed it was me while it wasn't .... obviously 500.000 Thai
internetters behind the same IP range will give problems and any Thai IP
seems to be me in the logic of the mods.

According to the wikimedia foundations rules someone whom is blocked is
not allowed to vote. So why I was send this mail .... it bothers me. It
is insulting me on top of this block about nothing as I never performed
vandalism or endangered the encyclopedia. I merely pointed out that one
of the anonymous moderators in reality is not whom he claims he is and
is writing articles about himself and familymembers. This while he is
blocking other people who do the same and have the honesty to admit it.
And is also aggressively pursuing this stance on the deletion lists.
Thus this mod is a hypocrite, doing what he haunts others for. But me
telling this to the community was a blockable offence it seems.

Waerth

Re: Board elections email adding insult to injury [ In reply to ]
On Sun, Aug 9, 2009 at 3:46 PM, Waerth <waerth@asianet.co.th> wrote:

> According to the wikimedia foundations rules someone whom is blocked is
> not allowed to vote.

You are not eligible to vote on nlwp, but on other wikis you may be
eligible, so that is why you received the email I guess?

[[User:Bencmq]]

Re: Board elections email adding insult to injury [ In reply to ]
Chen Minqi wrote:
> On Sun, Aug 9, 2009 at 3:46 PM, Waerth <waerth@asianet.co.th> wrote:
>

>> According to the wikimedia foundations rules someone whom is blocked is
>> not allowed to vote.
>>

> You are not eligible to vote on nlwp, but on other wikis you may be
> eligible, so that is why you received the email I guess?

Nope because I wouldn't qualify according to other subrules ....

Re: Board elections email adding insult to injury [ In reply to ]
Maybe this is related?

http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikimedia_Forum#Unable_to_vote_in_trustees_election

I don't want to seem rude, as I'm sure it's difficult and I understand the
election committee are volunteers, but why is it that things seem to be
going wrong this year?

--
Alex
(User:Majorly)
Re: Board elections email adding insult to injury [ In reply to ]
Hoi,
The things that go wrong are not necessarily the same things that go wrong.
Yes things go wrong.. There are more things that could and should have gone
differently... Nobody heard the Wikivoices interviews with many of the
candidates for instance. Sadly it did not materialise but it could have made
a difference for many voters. I participated because of the potential of it.

Yes, the mails went out late and extra work will be needed to weed out the
bots BUT when more people voted as a result, when everyone was approached
who was eligible to vote it has been a good thing.

To the people who considered the invitation to vote SPAM, I have one
message, you can opt out and if that is not good enough, tough.
Thanks,
GerardM

Re: Board elections email adding insult to injury [ In reply to ]
Al Tally wrote:
> I don't want to seem rude, as I'm sure it's difficult and I understand the
> election committee are volunteers, but why is it that things seem to be
> going wrong this year?

Things started going wrong when the election committee didn't organize
itself in time. It knew more than a year ago that one or more
individuals would need to be elected this year. It knew when Wikimania
would be held (the latest dates ever). Because of the late Wikimania,
following last year's timetable would have given them even more time to
get it together than last year. It would not have needed to foreshorten
the voting period. What it needs to do soon is to establish a firm
timetable for future elections. With no elections scheduled for two
years this should not be difficult. There is even plenty of time to do
this earlier to be able to deal with any vacancy that may arise.

Ec

Re: Board elections email adding insult to injury [ In reply to ]
On Aug 9, 2009, at 4:25 PM, Ray Saintonge wrote:

> Al Tally wrote:
>> I don't want to seem rude, as I'm sure it's difficult and I
>> understand the
>> election committee are volunteers, but why is it that things seem
>> to be
>> going wrong this year?
>>

> Things started going wrong when the election committee didn't organize
> itself in time. It knew more than a year ago that one or more
> individuals would need to be elected this year. It knew when
> Wikimania
> would be held (the latest dates ever). Because of the late Wikimania,
> following last year's timetable would have given them even more time
> get it together than last year. It would not have needed to
> foreshorten
> the voting period. What it needs to do soon is to establish a firm
> timetable for future elections. With no elections scheduled for two
> years this should not be difficult. There is even plenty of time to
> do
> this earlier to be able to deal with any vacancy that may arise.
>
> Ec

I agree. I also suggest that the committee may be too small. There
are simply a huge number of details involved, and a larger committee
may be a better system.

Philippe

Re: Board elections email adding insult to injury [ In reply to ]
On Aug 9, 2009, at 4:25 PM, Ray Saintonge wrote:

> Things started going wrong when the election committee didn't organize
> itself in time.

I should point out, though, that the committee does not "organize
itself". It responds to a call from the Board of Trustees.

Re: Board elections email adding insult to injury [ In reply to ]
Philippe Beaudette wrote:
> On Aug 9, 2009, at 4:25 PM, Ray Saintonge wrote:
>
>> Things started going wrong when the election committee didn't organize
>> itself in time.
>>
> I should point out, though, that the committee does not "organize
> itself". It responds to a call from the Board of Trustees.

Fair enough, but that doesn't make things look good for the Board.
Perhaps then a small core of the Election Committee should operate as a
standing committee between elections, ready to act when necessary. When
the time comes it would have the power to recruit whatever additional
manpower it needs.

Ec

Re: Board elections email adding insult to injury [ In reply to ]
Presumably the duties of an election committee don't need to terminate with
the end of this election? To the extent that organizing actions can be taken
ahead of the next cycle, perhaps they should be appended as the final
responsibilities of the committee for this cycle. Set up the new pages,
create and translate any messages that aren't candidate specific (date
specific can be done now and updated later), etc.
Nathan