Mailing List Archive

presentations and marketing @ events
[[Presentations]]: Are there any modern lists of speakers about the
projects simiar to
http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Presentations/speakers ? I bet that
as a group we could get speaker or panel invitations to a number of
digital library, elearning, linguistics, &c conferences for people who
were really up on the latest efforts to improve each of the projects
-- once we knew there were speakers to fill the bill.

Is there someplace other than [[Presentations]] and [[Posters]] where
people are expected to share new media? I see a different set on
slideshare.

[[Marketing]] : Arne and elian and guillom, call your office :) this
page has helpful links, even if they are out of date. WMDOC for
instance... I liked this idea a lot, though it takes a lot of effort
for the first edition. http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/WMDOC/matrix

Do we have a modern press kit? I was looking for one the other day...
Elian's is still up on meta, but not updated. That page should be
tagged with a link to the current equivalent, or at least marked
historical. Has anyone been working on this sort of effort more
recently?

Sj,
Looking over not-quite-historical pages,

> Do we have a modern press kit? I was looking for one the other day...
> Elian's is still up on meta, but not updated. That page should be
> tagged with a link to the current equivalent, or at least marked
> historical. Has anyone been working on this sort of effort more
> recently?

I went looking for this, not long ago, and was surprised to find that
the most recent general-purpose press kit was the one we made up for
WM05. I have to say that I felt kind of silly handing out the
Wikimedia Foundation, Inc. annual report at Maker Faire.

Austin

The annual report is pretty shiny. Did people like it? Who did that
layout and design? The 'news' parts of the annual would make for a
good one-pager in a modern kit. And a monthly summary of Signpost,
Kurier, and equivalent zines with a handful of photos might make
another one...

S.

On Sun, Aug 2, 2009 at 1:35 AM, Austin Hair<adhair@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sat, Aug 1, 2009 at 11:54 PM, Samuel Klein<meta.sj@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Do we have a modern press kit?  I was looking for one the other day...
>> Elian's is still up on meta, but not updated.  That page should be
>> tagged with a link to the current equivalent, or at least marked
>> historical.  Has anyone been working on this sort of effort more
>> recently?
>
> I went looking for this, not long ago, and was surprised to find that
> the most recent general-purpose press kit was the one we made up for
> WM05.  I have to say that I felt kind of silly handing out the
> Wikimedia Foundation, Inc. annual report at Maker Faire.
>
> Austin

> The annual report is pretty shiny. Did people like it? Who did that
> layout and design? The 'news' parts of the annual would make for a
> good one-pager in a modern kit. And a monthly summary of Signpost,
> Kurier, and equivalent zines with a handful of photos might make
> another one...

It's shiny, for sure, but the average spectator didn't care. The most
effective handouts, actually, were the B&W xeroxed flash cards
highlighting projects people hadn't heard of. ("I use Wikipedia all
the time, but I had no idea there was a Wiktionary!") The zines would
have actually been great, if we had only thought of it.

I think everyone will agree that we need to come up with a better
event kit, and at least two of the current proposals on the strategy
wiki refer to that. I don't think we need to wait for any kind of
formal process to get started on it, though.

Austin

> I think everyone will agree that we need to come up with a better
> event kit, and at least two of the current proposals on the strategy
> wiki refer to that.  I don't think we need to wait for any kind of
> formal process to get started on it, though.
>
> Austin

Funny you should mention this :)
I recently started http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Events_kit
based on a very similar conversation. Just a stub now -- please add to it.

Hopefully the bookshelf project will come up with some shiny fliers
etc. that can be used for events, but in the meantime we *really* need
a nice-looking one page overview about the projects to hand out -- any
graphic designers up for this? And of course a new press kit too
(there must be one -- is it just not on meta? Anyone?)

-- phoebe

Hello,

On Sun, Aug 2, 2009 at 6:54 AM, Samuel Klein<meta.sj@gmail.com> wrote:
> [[Presentations]]:  Are there any modern lists of speakers about the
> projects simiar to
> http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Presentations/speakers ?

Not to my knowledge.

> Is there someplace other than [[Presentations]] and [[Posters]] where
> people are expected to share new media?

No. But these pages are not publicised a lot.

> [[Marketing]] :  Arne and elian and guillom, call your office :)  this
> page has helpful links, even if they are out of date. WMDOC for
> instance... I liked this idea a lot, though it takes a lot of effort
> for the first edition.   http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/WMDOC/matrix

WMDOC is not "out-of-date"; I started it a few weeks ago, but since
I'm the only person working on these documents, it takes a lot of
time.

> Do we have a modern press kit?  I was looking for one the other day...
> Elian's is still up on meta, but not updated.  That page should be
> tagged with a link to the current equivalent, or at least marked
> historical.  Has anyone been working on this sort of effort more
> recently?

I worked with Sandra Ordonez (the foundation's previous Communications
Manager) on a new one. When Sandra was replaced by Jay, Jay told me a
new press kit wasn't his priority. As a consequence, I am working on
it alone (as part of WMDOC), as a volunteer, and it takes a lot of
time.

--
Guillaume Paumier
[[m:User:guillom]]

> Hopefully the bookshelf project will come up with some shiny fliers
> etc. that can be used for events, but in the meantime we *really* need
> a nice-looking one page overview about the projects to hand out -- any
> graphic designers up for this? And of course a new press kit too
> (there must be one -- is it just not on meta? Anyone?)
>
> -- phoebe
Not exactly a graphics designer but i'm pretty handy with InDesign so
there is the content somewhere I can try to make something from it.

- Peachey

Thanks, Guillom.

>> Is there someplace other than [[Presentations]] and [[Posters]] where
>> people are expected to share new media?
>
> No. But these pages are not publicised a lot.

True. They need a set of navigation links, for one.

>> [[Marketing]] :  Arne and elian and guillom, call your office :)  this
>> page has helpful links, even if they are out of date. WMDOC for
>> instance... I liked this idea a lot, though it takes a lot of effort
>> for the first edition.   http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/WMDOC/matrix
>
> WMDOC is not "out-of-date"; I started it a few weeks ago, but since
> I'm the only person working on these documents, it takes a lot of
> time.

Yes, that's why linked to it. I mean that some of the links there may
be old, but they are all helpful.

>> Do we have a modern press kit?  I was looking for one the other day...
>> Elian's is still up on meta, but not updated.  That page should be
>> tagged with a link to the current equivalent, or at least marked
>> historical.  Has anyone been working on this sort of effort more
>> recently?
>
> I worked with Sandra Ordonez (the foundation's previous Communications
> Manager) on a new one. When Sandra was replaced by Jay, Jay told me a
> new press kit wasn't his priority. As a consequence, I am working on
> it alone (as part of WMDOC), as a volunteer, and it takes a lot of
> time.

Ah, that rings a bell. I tied these two subjects together because
every time someone attends an event at a booth or as a speaker, they
have a need for one of those docs, and often work on one (in private).
If we get more organized about helping people go present, it will
lead to a better WMDOC library.

It's worth pinging the people who have submitted presentations so far.
I added a few navigation guides to help improve traffic to those
parts of Meta.

Sj

phoebe ayers, 02/08/2009 08:50:
> in the meantime we *really* need
> a nice-looking one page overview about the projects to hand out -- any
> graphic designers up for this? And of course a new press kit too

I suppose local chapters have many...
See Wikimedia Italia last one:
http://www.wikimedia.it/images/Guida_Wiki2009_folder_8facce.pdf (text
refined by WM-IT members in years of experience, graphics donated by
Diskos, a graphics school, for the Digital freedoms festival:
http://www.libertadigitali.org/).

Nemo