Mailing List Archive

strategy.wikimedia.org soft-launch
As part of the Foundation's Strategic Planning Initiative, a new wiki (http://strategy.wikimedia.org
) is being soft-launched today. This soft-launch is being announced
only to foundation-l and a few other places, but is not at all secret
- consider this an open-beta test.

When you have a few moments, your input is greatly desired - please
take time to look at the strategy wiki, to answer the questions there,
and to start to think about what proposals you might have for the
Foundation's five-year strategic plan. The process for submitting
proposals is at http://strategy.wikimedia.org/wiki/
Call_for_Proposals . You can familiarize yourself with the strategic
planning process overall by reading the links on the Main Page.

This wiki will be fully launched soon, but in the meantime, don't
hesitate to make suggestions to either Eugene or myself.

____________________
Philippe Beaudette
Facilitator, Strategic Plan
Wikimedia Foundation

pbeaudette@wikimedia.org

the sum of all knowledge. Help us make it a reality!

Re: strategy.wikimedia.org soft-launch [ In reply to ]
On Mon, Jul 27, 2009 at 1:15 PM, Philippe Beaudette <
pbeaudette@wikimedia.org> wrote:

> As part of the Foundation's Strategic Planning Initiative, a new wiki (
> http://strategy.wikimedia.org
> ) is being soft-launched today. This soft-launch is being announced
> only to foundation-l and a few other places, but is not at all secret
> - consider this an open-beta test.
>
> When you have a few moments, your input is greatly desired - please
> take time to look at the strategy wiki, to answer the questions there,
> and to start to think about what proposals you might have for the
> Foundation's five-year strategic plan. The process for submitting
> proposals is at http://strategy.wikimedia.org/wiki/
> Call_for_Proposals . You can familiarize yourself with the strategic
> planning process overall by reading the links on the Main Page.
>
> This wiki will be fully launched soon, but in the meantime, don't
> hesitate to make suggestions to either Eugene or myself.
>
> ____________________
> Philippe Beaudette
> Facilitator, Strategic Plan
> Wikimedia Foundation
>
> pbeaudette@wikimedia.org

I recall convincing arguments on this list that meta was the appropriate
place for this, rather than fragmenting into a new wiki. This is because
previously created wikis succumb to wiki rot and eventually link spam. Why
were those arguments rejected?
Re: strategy.wikimedia.org soft-launch [ In reply to ]
On Mon, Jul 27, 2009 at 3:29 PM, Brian<Brian.Mingus@colorado.edu> wrote:
> I recall convincing arguments on this list that meta was the appropriate
> place for this, rather than fragmenting into a new wiki. This is because
> previously created wikis succumb to wiki rot and eventually link spam. Why
> were those arguments rejected?

Did you see Erik's comment by any chance?
<http://lists.wikimedia.org/pipermail/foundation-l/2009-July/053348.html>

--
Casey Brown
Cbrown1023

Re: strategy.wikimedia.org soft-launch [ In reply to ]
On Mon, Jul 27, 2009 at 1:55 PM, Casey Brown <lists@caseybrown.org> wrote:

> On Mon, Jul 27, 2009 at 3:29 PM, Brian<Brian.Mingus@colorado.edu> wrote:
> > I recall convincing arguments on this list that meta was the appropriate
> > place for this, rather than fragmenting into a new wiki. This is because
> > previously created wikis succumb to wiki rot and eventually link spam.
> Why
> > were those arguments rejected?
>
> Did you see Erik's comment by any chance?
> <http://lists.wikimedia.org/pipermail/foundation-l/2009-July/053348.html>
>
> --
> Casey Brown
> Cbrown1023

No I hadn't, thank you.

It doesn't cover the most important case in my mind: meta is where people
actually are! A new wiki is not a magic recipe for an insta-community and
its hard to guarantee that everyone who would be interested in the content
there will end up seeing it.
Re: strategy.wikimedia.org soft-launch [ In reply to ]
Hi Brian,

On Mon, Jul 27, 2009 at 1:02 PM, Brian<Brian.Mingus@colorado.edu> wrote:
> No I hadn't, thank you.

See also my response:

http://lists.wikimedia.org/pipermail/foundation-l/2009-July/053355.html

> It doesn't cover the most important case in my mind: meta is where people
> actually are! A new wiki is not a magic recipe for an insta-community and
> its hard to guarantee that everyone who would be interested in the content
> there will end up seeing it.

I totally agree that a new Wiki is not a magic recipe for
insta-community. I also realize there's a barrier in getting existing
community members to shift to another Wiki, but there's also a barrier
to engaging those who are not already participating in Meta. Frankly,
I think the latter barrier is higher.

This is a meta-issue for Wikis in general. One of the values of Wikis
is that they are One Big Space. Think back to my analogy of physical
space. When you fragment that space, you lose some of that value.
Sometimes, it's necessary, but when is not always clear. I think there
are ways to mitigate this through the tools themselves -- it's
something we've discussed off-and-on throughout the years in the
larger Wiki community. In the meantime, I think the solution is
careful reflection, but not to the point of paralysis. Think about it,
try it, learn from it.

This, by the way, is a good summary of my philosophy about process in
general. :-)

=Eugene

Re: strategy.wikimedia.org soft-launch [ In reply to ]
Probably a separate wiki will isolate the content from the community and
make it less accessible for for other users.

John

Re: strategy.wikimedia.org soft-launch [ In reply to ]
2009/7/27 Brian <Brian.Mingus@colorado.edu>:
> It doesn't cover the most important case in my mind: meta is where people
> actually are!

Strategy.wikimedia.org is part of SUL, moving from one space to the
other is trivial. To reach a very large group of people (much larger
than the group of people currently editing on Meta), we'll be using
CentralNotices through the different stages of the process.
--
Erik Möller
Deputy Director, Wikimedia Foundation

Re: strategy.wikimedia.org soft-launch [ In reply to ]
On Mon, Jul 27, 2009 at 3:26 PM, Erik Moeller <erik@wikimedia.org> wrote:

> 2009/7/27 Brian <Brian.Mingus@colorado.edu>:
> > It doesn't cover the most important case in my mind: meta is where people
> > actually are!
>
> Strategy.wikimedia.org is part of SUL, moving from one space to the
> other is trivial. To reach a very large group of people (much larger
> than the group of people currently editing on Meta), we'll be using
> CentralNotices through the different stages of the process.
> --
> Erik Möller
> Deputy Director, Wikimedia Foundation

Oh, great. That basically covers it, assuming it is what I think it is (a
site notice on all SUL wikis).
Re: strategy.wikimedia.org soft-launch [ In reply to ]
On Mon, Jul 27, 2009 at 6:03 PM, Brian<Brian.Mingus@colorado.edu> wrote:
> Oh, great. That basically covers it, assuming it is what I think it is (a
> site notice on all SUL wikis).

Yes, we've been using it since the 2009 Fundraiser for items ranging
from donation drives to Wikimania announcements to the current Board
elections.

--
Casey Brown
Cbrown1023