Mailing List Archive

Re: Britain or Ukraine? What UK stands for in Wikimedia jargon
Pavlo Shevelo wrote:
> I appreciate a lot that you rose up this issue of confusion (I was
> planning to do that myself a bit later).
>
> I'm from Ukrainian WP (recently - from WMF chapter for Ukraine as
> well) and I've met many times those confusions/misunderstandings
> starting from
> http://uk.wikipedia.org
> vs.
> http://uk.wikimedia.org
>
> I'm sure that this issue deserves some portion of attention & thorough
> brainstorming ;)

I suggest a hatnote on the main page of the site: "This is the website
of Wikimedia United Kingdom. For other uses, see uk.wikimedia.org
(disambiguation)."

Re: Britain or Ukraine? What UK stands for in Wikimedia jargon [ In reply to ]
----- "Nikola Smolenski" <smolensk@eunet.yu> wrote:

> I suggest a hatnote on the main page of the site: "This is the website
> of Wikimedia United Kingdom. For other uses, see uk.wikimedia.org
> (disambiguation)."

I've added a hatnote in the meantime redirecting users to UK-WP and WM-UA.

--

Andrew Turvey
Secretary

Re: Britain or Ukraine? What UK stands for in Wikimedia jargon [ In reply to ]

Re: Britain or Ukraine? What UK stands for in Wikimedia jargon [ In reply to ]
> How about a new mailing list. Wikimedia-uk-uk-l ?

What for?
(: To arrange mailing between two chapters? :)

Re: Britain or Ukraine? What UK stands for in Wikimedia jargon [ In reply to ]
Pavlo Shevelo wrote:
>> How about a new mailing list. Wikimedia-uk-uk-l ?
>
> What for?
> (: To arrange mailing between two chapters? :)

I meant for my post to be humours, but I failed to include my " :-) "!

--
Cary Bass
Volunteer Coordinator, Wikimedia Foundation

Re: Britain or Ukraine? What UK stands for in Wikimedia jargon [ In reply to ]
On Wed, Jul 22, 2009 at 3:36 AM, Nikola Smolenski<smolensk@eunet.yu> wrote:

> I suggest a hatnote on the main page of the site: "This is the website
> of Wikimedia United Kingdom. For other uses, see uk.wikimedia.org
> (disambiguation)."

I actually coined the word "hatnote" - probably in violation of our
'no neologisms' policy.

By the way, I think I'm currently blocked from the list, so I'm not
thinking this will get posted anyway.

-Steven

Re: Britain or Ukraine? What UK stands for in Wikimedia jargon [ In reply to ]
stevertigo wrote:
> Nikola Smolenski wrote:
>
>> I suggest a hatnote on the main page of the site: "This is the website
>> of Wikimedia United Kingdom. For other uses, see uk.wikimedia.org
>> (disambiguation)."
>>
> I actually coined the word "hatnote" - probably in violation of our
> 'no neologisms' policy.

I don't know about the "no neologisms" rule, but it did come up some
time ago in Wiktionary on the basis that you can't just invent a word
for the sake of putting it into a dictionary. There had to be evidence
of the word's prior usage. Somebody there invented the term
"protologism" for a word that did not yet fit the standard for neologisms.

A neologism is most effective when everybody that reads it knows what it
means without ever having seen it before.

Ec