Mailing List Archive

Britain or Ukraine? What UK stands for in Wikimedia jargon
Hello everybody;

This is to say that I have written a piece on this topic at :

http://uk.wikimedia.org/wiki/Talk:Main_Page#uk.wikimedia.org_is_Wikimedia_Ukraine,_isn't_it_?

Re: Britain or Ukraine? What UK stands for in Wikimedia jargon [ In reply to ]
Hello Teofilo,

I appreciate a lot that you rose up this issue of confusion (I was
planning to do that myself a bit later).

I'm from Ukrainian WP (recently - from WMF chapter for Ukraine as
well) and I've met many times those confusions/misunderstandings
starting from
http://uk.wikipedia.org
vs.
http://uk.wikimedia.org

I'm sure that this issue deserves some portion of attention & thorough
brainstorming ;)

Re: Britain or Ukraine? What UK stands for in Wikimedia jargon [ In reply to ]
Wikipedias follow the ISO 639
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ISO_639>language code standard, where
"uk" is the code for the Ukrainian language.
The chapter sites, however, use the ISO
3166<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ISO_3166>standard for country codes,
and "ua" is the code for the country of Ukraine.

(There is however the fact that the ISO 3166 code for the United Kingdom is
"gb", while "uk" is unused; our usage however mirrors that of the country
code top level domains<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Country_code_top-level_domain>
.)

2009/7/22 Pavlo Shevelo <pavlo.shevelo@gmail.com>

> Hello Teofilo,
>
> I appreciate a lot that you rose up this issue of confusion (I was
> planning to do that myself a bit later).
>
> I'm from Ukrainian WP (recently - from WMF chapter for Ukraine as
> well) and I've met many times those confusions/misunderstandings
> starting from
> http://uk.wikipedia.org
> vs.
> http://uk.wikimedia.org
>
> I'm sure that this issue deserves some portion of attention & thorough
> brainstorming ;)
>
> On Wed, Jul 22, 2009 at 11:42 AM, Teofilo<teofilowiki@gmail.com> wrote:
> > Hello everybody;
> >
> > This is to say that I have written a piece on this topic at :
> >

> http://uk.wikimedia.org/wiki/Talk:Main_Page#uk.wikimedia.org_is_Wikimedia_Ukraine,_isn't_it_<http://uk.wikimedia.org/wiki/Talk:Main_Page#uk.wikimedia.org_is_Wikimedia_Ukraine,_isn%27t_it_>
> ?

Jon Harald Søby
http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/User:Jon_Harald_S%C3%B8by
Re: Britain or Ukraine? What UK stands for in Wikimedia jargon [ In reply to ]
On Wed, Jul 22, 2009 at 10:42 AM, Teofilo<teofilowiki@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello everybody;
>
> This is to say that I have written a piece on this topic at :
>
> http://uk.wikimedia.org/wiki/Talk:Main_Page#uk.wikimedia.org_is_Wikimedia_Ukraine,_isn't_it_?

I've noticed that http://www.wikimedia.org.uk/ redirects to
http://uk.wikimedia.org/wiki/Main_Page If I remember correctly the
first domain was the address of the "old" Wikimedia UK, and that the
second was created by the "new" chapter. I'd say the .org.uk address
is definitely much more recognizable as belonging to a UK
organisation, while the uk.wikimedia.org is more confusing;
furthermore, being a foundation-owned domain (at least I guess), there
may be the issue of the separation of WMF and WM-UK.
As regards the confusion between language and country codes, I
remember that the Breton wikipedia (br-wp) used to receive a lot of
materials in Portuguese from people from Brazil (citation needed),
whose country code is .br. This is not really up to us, just wanted to
point it out.

Cruccone

Re: Britain or Ukraine? What UK stands for in Wikimedia jargon [ In reply to ]
Hi Jon,

Thanks a lot for promt and informative (so valuable) input.

Regarding
> Wikipedias follow the ISO 639 language code standard
and
> The chapter sites, however, use the ISO 3166 standard for country codes,

all WPs and all chapters have to do that very strictly and same way,
aren't they (that's us ;) ) ?

Regarding
> ... our usage however mirrors that of the country
> code top level domains<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Country_code_top-level_domain>

seems not really applicable to situation except for
http://wikimedia.org.uk
which is not disputable same as http://wikimedia.org.uk (yes, again
"same as" :) )

So it seems logical (including Nikola Smolenski thought) that one and
only fair usage for
>> http://uk.wikimedia.org
is to serve for placement of informative disabiguation page as

Re: Britain or Ukraine? What UK stands for in Wikimedia jargon [ In reply to ]
Cruccone, I can confirm what you've said about Brazilian Portuguese,
although I don't know that I'd characterise it as "a lot".

Back in older times before there was much Breton content there, the
domain was "squatted" by people who would have liked to have a
separate WP for Brazilian Portuguese (instead of using pt-wp for all
varieties) but I think there were perhaps a maximum of about 50
articles in Portuguese.

A similar situation occurred with Swiss German material at ch-wp
(intended for the Chamorro language)

Mark

Re: Britain or Ukraine? What UK stands for in Wikimedia jargon [ In reply to ]
Wikimedia Serbia and Serbian language projects have similar problem
with Suriname: The code for Serbian language is sr, while the code for
Serbia is rs. It is interesting that .sr code was one of the preferred
codes for some Serbian sites for a long time: it is free and for a
long time Serbia used .yu.

So, sr.wikipedia.org is the proper name for Wikipedia in Serbian.
rs.wikimedia.org is the proper name for Wikimedia Serbia site.
However, we have a mailing list wikimediasr-l, which is used as a
generic public list for all projects in Serbian, not for Wikimedia
Serbia. And in some not so near future we'll have to solve this.

Re: Britain or Ukraine? What UK stands for in Wikimedia jargon [ In reply to ]
Yes same issue for Sinhala (of Sri Lanka) and the country code for
Slovenia - SI or Burmese and Malaysia - MY or Virgin Islands and
Vietnamese - VI.

I'm sure there are several other cases as well.

Mark

Re: Britain or Ukraine? What UK stands for in Wikimedia jargon [ In reply to ]
> I'm sure there are several other cases as well.

I'm quite sure that was the main reason to pick this issue up to this
mailing list.

It seems that it's high time to create some page on Meta to place
whole list there and to collect there precedents how such issue were
solved.

Re: Britain or Ukraine? What UK stands for in Wikimedia jargon [ In reply to ]
Hoi,
If you are going to solve this, then it is the cheapest not to wait.
Thanks,
GerardM

Re: Britain or Ukraine? What UK stands for in Wikimedia jargon [ In reply to ]
2009/7/22 Marco Chiesa <chiesa.marco@gmail.com>:
> On Wed, Jul 22, 2009 at 10:42 AM, Teofilo<teofilowiki@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Hello everybody;
>>
>> This is to say that I have written a piece on this topic at :
>>
>> http://uk.wikimedia.org/wiki/Talk:Main_Page#uk.wikimedia.org_is_Wikimedia_Ukraine,_isn't_it_?
>>

> I've noticed that http://www.wikimedia.org.uk/ redirects to
> http://uk.wikimedia.org/wiki/Main_Page If I remember correctly the
> first domain was the address of the "old" Wikimedia UK, and that the
> second was created by the "new" chapter. I'd say the .org.uk address
> is definitely much more recognizable as belonging to a UK
> organisation, while the uk.wikimedia.org is more confusing;
> furthermore, being a foundation-owned domain (at least I guess), there
> may be the issue of the separation of WMF and WM-UK.

At the moment the site is hosted by the WMF so is at a WMF domain, our
domain redirects to that. At some point we will probably want to set
up our own server(s) and then the confusion will be eliminated. It
might make sense to put a note at the top of the main page linking to
the Ukrainian Wikipedia.

Re: Britain or Ukraine? What UK stands for in Wikimedia jargon [ In reply to ]
> ... At some point we will probably want to set
> up our own server(s) and then the confusion will be eliminated.

I don't get it why elimination depends on hosting.

Anyhow is it possible to have some explicit estimation about when "at
some point" could happen?

> It
> might make sense to put a note at the top of the main page linking to
> the Ukrainian Wikipedia.

I do believe that it's both quite possible and useful to put such note
at the top of Wikimedia UK main page

let me ask one sorta side question:
Now, when Wikimedia UK wiki is hosted on WMF resources you have a
luxury of SUL support. Do you have any idea whether it will be still
possible when you will move to your own server(s)?

Re: Britain or Ukraine? What UK stands for in Wikimedia jargon [ In reply to ]
2009/7/22 Pavlo Shevelo <pavlo.shevelo@gmail.com>:
>> ... At some point we will probably want to set
>> up our own server(s) and then the confusion will be eliminated.
>
> I don't get it why elimination depends on hosting.

I'm not sure how the WMF servers are set up, it might be possible to
direct our domain directly at their servers... Worth looking into.

> Anyhow is it possible to have some explicit estimation about when "at
> some point" could happen?

Not really. It depends on both when we have the funds to do it
(hopefully in the next year) and when we feel we would gain
significantly from it (which could be longer - at the moment the WMF's
setup works perfectly well for us).

> let me ask one sorta side question:
> Now, when Wikimedia UK wiki is hosted on WMF resources you have a
> luxury of SUL support. Do you have any idea whether it will be still
> possible when you will move to your own server(s)?

Good question. I don't know. I would guess not - it would require our
servers to have a connection to the WMF database server...

Re: Britain or Ukraine? What UK stands for in Wikimedia jargon [ In reply to ]
>> I don't get it why elimination depends on hosting.
>
> I'm not sure how the WMF servers are set up, it might be possible to
> direct our domain directly at their servers... Worth looking into.

Please look into as move to own servers will not be in nearest weeks.
As to the best of my understanding:
* domain name management is separate (from hosting) thing.
* technically both uk.wikimedia.org and wikimedia.org.uk are very
similar things.
Now (according to your explanation) uk.wikimedia.org is linked to your
chapter wiki (using IP address I guess), while wikimedia.org.uk is
redirection to former.
There should not be any real problem to link wikimedia.org.uk directly
to Wikimedia UK chapter wiki (wherever it's hosted).

Re: Britain or Ukraine? What UK stands for in Wikimedia jargon [ In reply to ]
Hi Pavlo,

I'm glad this issue has risen up here and I'm sure the United Kingdom and Ukraine chapters can come up with something together that solves this rather

Re: Britain or Ukraine? What UK stands for in Wikimedia jargon [ In reply to ]
2009/7/22 Pavlo Shevelo <pavlo.shevelo@gmail.com>:
> There should not be any real problem to link wikimedia.org.uk directly
> to Wikimedia UK chapter wiki (wherever it's hosted).

It depends on how the WMF has everything set up. They have a
complicated setup for hosting multiple wikis, it may well be
hard-coded that they all use the WMF domains. I'm cross-posting this
to wikitech-l, hopefully someone there can clarify the situation. Can
a wiki hosted on the WMF servers use a non-WMF domain?

Re: Britain or Ukraine? What UK stands for in Wikimedia jargon [ In reply to ]
Hi Pavlo,

I'm glad this issue has risen up here and I'm sure the United Kingdom and Ukraine chapters can come up with something together that solves this to both chapters satisfaction.

Could we take this offline and start a bilateral discussion rather than doing this via an open mailing list.

Regards,

Andrew Turvey
Secretary
Wikimedia UK
Wikimedia UK is the operating name of Wiki UK Limited.
Wiki UK Ltd is a Company Limited by Guarantee registered in England and Wales, Registered No. 6741827.
The Registered Office is at 23 Cartwright Way, Nottingham, NG9 1RL, United Kingdom.

Re: Britain or Ukraine? What UK stands for in Wikimedia jargon [ In reply to ]
Hi Andrew,

> Could we take this offline and start a bilateral discussion rather than
> doing this via an open mailing list.

Shure, we *have to* :) do so
No sense to bother everybody by details.

Pavlo Shevelo