Mailing List Archive

Announcing Philippe Beaudette as the Strategy Project Facilitator
Hi folks,

I am delighted to announce that the Facilitator for Wikimedia's
collaborative strategy development project will be Philippe Beaudette.

Many of you know Philippe, who is a trusted member of the Wikimedia
volunteer community. He's a three-year member of the Board of
Trustees Election Committee, a two-year trusted administrator for the
English Wikipedia, and has twice been granted temporary administrator
status for meta for election-related activities. He has also been a
volunteer for OTRS, where he successfully resolved some particularly
difficult complaints regarding biographies of living people. He also
helped the Wikimedia Foundation develop the “media upload” proposal
for the Ford Foundation, which resulted, a few weeks ago, in a USD
300,000 grant for a project aimed at streamlining the process for
uploading media to Wikimedia Commons.

Outside Wikimedia, Philippe has a background in American electoral
politics, where he has worked as Deputy Campaign Manager, Operations
Manager and Technology Director on a number of state and federal
campaigns, as well as for the non-profit Progressive Alliance
Foundation. He has also worked as a technology consultant in the
for-profit sector in the United States, Italy and the United Kingdom.

Philippe brings a number of important skills to the Facilitator role.
He is experienced facilitating discussion on wikis, mailing lists,
IRC, face-to-face and using teleconferences. He has experience
understanding and successfully managing complex stakeholder networks.
And he has managed projects under tight timelines. Most importantly,
he has a good, rich understanding of the mechanisms and systems used
by Wikimedia volunteers to stage discussions, achieve consensus and
make decisions.

Philippe will work from his home in Tulsa, Oklahoma, and will report
to Eugene Eric Kim, the strategy plan project manager. He will start
July 27.

Philippe will be a terrific addition to the team; I look forward to
working with him. Please join me in congratulating and welcoming him
to the staff of the Wikimedia Foundation. And thanks again to Erik
Moeller and Jennifer Riggs for participating in the hiring interviews.

The strategy plan team will total three people: Project Manager Eugene
Eric Kim, Facilitator Philippe Beaudette, and a to-be-named Research
Analyst. I hope to be in a position to announce the Research Analyst,
within a few weeks.

Thanks,
Sue

--
Sue Gardner
Executive Director

415 839 6885 office

the sum of all knowledge. Help us make it a reality!

Re: Announcing Philippe Beaudette as the Strategy Project Facilitator [ In reply to ]
Hi everyone....

I'd like to thank Sue for the welcome to staff and say that I'm really
excited to work with Eugene - I've heard so many great things about
him from community members. We'll start defining the strategic
planning process soon, I'm sure, and I feel quite certain that FAQs
will be an early part of that. Until then, any thoughts that you have
are most welcome, and I know Eugene feels the same way. I can be
reached by email or on my en:Wikipedia or meta user talk pages. I'll
also make an effort to be visible on IRC as well.

Best,
Philippe

___________________
philippe
philippe.wiki@gmail.com

Re: Announcing Philippe Beaudette as the Strategy Project Facilitator [ In reply to ]
I can only welcome Philippe's appointment, my congratulations.

Since he is starting in July, and the elections are scheduled for August,
I am worried that his involvement as an election committee member could be
a conflict of interests?

Cheers
Yaroslav

Re: Announcing Philippe Beaudette as the StrategyProject Facilitator [ In reply to ]
I have to say your cheerful enthusiasm really made my day.

Take care of that, it is a precious resource!

> [...]
>> working with him. Please join me in congratulating and welcoming him
>> to the staff of the Wikimedia Foundation. And thanks again to Erik
>> Moeller and Jennifer Riggs for participating in the hiring interviews.
>>
>> The strategy plan team will total three people: Project Manager Eugene
>> Eric Kim, Facilitator Philippe Beaudette, and a to-be-named Research
>> Analyst. I hope to be in a position to announce the Research Analyst,
>> within a few weeks.
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Sue
>>

>> --
>> Sue Gardner
>> Executive Director
>> Wikimedia Foundation
>>
>> 415 839 6885 office
>>
>> Imagine a world in which every single human being can freely share in
>> the sum of all knowledge. Help us make it a reality!

17:57:00

Re: Announcing Philippe Beaudette as the Strategy Project Facilitator [ In reply to ]
Hi Yaroslav,

Yes, it's a good question; Philippe and I have talked about it.

In this instance I think it's okay for Philippe to remain on the
committee, for a couple of reasons. 1) As you say, the election is
four weeks away: practically speaking, it would be tough to find a
replacement for Philippe in that time-frame. And 2) There are lots of
safeguards in place to ensure fairness in the election outcome -- for
example, the committee doesn't actually administer the vote: that is
handled by an independent third party, Software in the Public
Interest.

Philippe offered to me to resign from the election committee if I or
the Board thought it was best. I personally think the benefit of him
fulfilling the commitment outweighs the downside. But I know
Philippe's sensitive to the issue: if people want to talk about ways
to mitigate or eliminate the conflict, I'm sure he'd be happy to have
that conversation :-)

Thanks,
Sue

2009/7/14 Yaroslav M. Blanter <putevod@mccme.ru>:
> I can only welcome Philippe's appointment, my congratulations.
>
> Since he is starting in July, and the elections are scheduled for August,
> I am worried that his involvement as an election committee member could be
> a conflict of interests?
>
> Cheers
> Yaroslav

Sue Gardner
Executive Director
Wikimedia Foundation

415 839 6885 office
415 816 9967 cell

the sum of all knowledge. Help us make it a reality!

Re: Announcing Philippe Beaudette as the Strategy Project Facilitator [ In reply to ]
Please allow me to "me too!" what Sue said. As she said, she and I
have talked about this. I really AM sensitive to it, and fully
disclosed the situation to the election committee when my hire was
announced. I'm happy to work with anyone who wants to in identifying
conflicts and finding ways to mitigate them. For now, though, please
know that the election committee is aware of the situation and is
actively monitoring it, and both Sue and I are paying a lot of
attention and are willing to further discuss. If you have a specific
concern, please email me, or (if you're not comfortable emailing me),
I'm sure that any other member of the election committee would be
happy to talk to you about it.

Philippe

On Jul 14, 2009, at 7:37 PM, Sue Gardner wrote:

> Hi Yaroslav,
>
> Yes, it's a good question; Philippe and I have talked about it.
>
> In this instance I think it's okay for Philippe to remain on the
> committee, for a couple of reasons. 1) As you say, the election is
> four weeks away: practically speaking, it would be tough to find a
> replacement for Philippe in that time-frame. And 2) There are lots of
> safeguards in place to ensure fairness in the election outcome -- for
> example, the committee doesn't actually administer the vote: that is
> handled by an independent third party, Software in the Public
> Interest.
>
> Philippe offered to me to resign from the election committee if I or
> the Board thought it was best. I personally think the benefit of him
> fulfilling the commitment outweighs the downside. But I know
> Philippe's sensitive to the issue: if people want to talk about ways
> to mitigate or eliminate the conflict, I'm sure he'd be happy to have
> that conversation :-)
>
> Thanks,
> Sue
>

> 2009/7/14 Yaroslav M. Blanter <putevod@mccme.ru>:
>> I can only welcome Philippe's appointment, my congratulations.
>>
>> Since he is starting in July, and the elections are scheduled for
>> August,
>> I am worried that his involvement as an election committee member
>> could be
>> a conflict of interests?
>>
>> Cheers
>> Yaroslav

>> foundation-l
>>

> --
> Sue Gardner
> Executive Director
> Wikimedia Foundation
>
> 415 839 6885 office
> 415 816 9967 cell
>
> Imagine a world in which every single human being can freely share in
> the sum of all knowledge. Help us make it a reality!
>
> http://wikimediafoundation.org/wiki/Donate

____________________
Philippe Beaudette
Facilitator, Strategic Plan
Wikimedia Foundation

pbeaudette@wikimedia.org

voicemail: 918 200-WIKI (9454)
mobile: 918 408-6640

the sum of all knowledge. Help us make it a reality!

Re: Announcing Philippe Beaudette as the Strategy Project Facilitator [ In reply to ]
> Please allow me to "me too!" what Sue said. As she said, she and I
> have talked about this. I really AM sensitive to it, and fully
> disclosed the situation to the election committee when my hire was
> announced. I'm happy to work with anyone who wants to in identifying
> conflicts and finding ways to mitigate them. For now, though, please
> know that the election committee is aware of the situation and is
> actively monitoring it, and both Sue and I are paying a lot of
> attention and are willing to further discuss. If you have a specific
> concern, please email me, or (if you're not comfortable emailing me),
> I'm sure that any other member of the election committee would be
> happy to talk to you about it.
>
> Philippe

Just to make it clear, I am fully satisfied by the replies by Sue and
Philippe, and do not consider situation as problematic.

Sorry for the delay, my mail server was down until today.

Cheers
Yaroslav