organizations or individuals to give their content free and upload them
to Commons it also becomes a fassade project of the Foundation and its
chapters. This and other reasons make me think that we should as broadly
as possible to discuss a few issues on Commons. The discussion is here:

http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Commons:Village_pump#Some_reflections_about_the_governance_of_Common

--
Ting

Ting's Blog: http://wingphilopp.blogspot.com/

Re: Some reflections about the governance of Commons [ In reply to ]
Hoi,
There is a project called "Wiki loves art/nl" In this project people make
pictures of objects in museums in the Netherlands. The thing I have been
wondering about is that the pictures are first published on Flickr and then
are copied into Commons.

This is a project of the Dutch WMF chapter and some other organisations. I
read it as "there are too many problems with posting on Commons directly".
The reason why I bring this up is because it demonstrates how Commons is not
thought of as the helpful project it should be and it is not only pikiwiki
that has a problem.
Thanks,
GerardM

Re: Some reflections about the governance of Commons [ In reply to ]
That is more to do with the interface to Commons, as I understand it,
rather than the governance of it. Flickr is seen as being much easier
to use. I believe that was also the origin of Pikiwiki - essentially
creating a better interface to Commons.

BTW, to date I've never had a problem with Commons (after >2000 edits
and >500 images uploaded).

Mike

Re: Some reflections about the governance of Commons [ In reply to ]
The interface is only part of the problems which were identified. Also the
complicated procedures and the (sometimes considered hostile - although not
even always intentional) community were part of the equation. However, I do
agree that the interface is a huge problem, and fixing that would probably
make the odds to encounter a hostile community member smaller etc.

Lodewijk