Mailing List Archive

Re: One Wikipedia Per Person (regarding the distribution of and the ability to read Wikipedia) [ In reply to ]
On Mon, Jun 1, 2009 at 8:14 PM, Thomas Dalton <thomas.dalton@gmail.com>wrote:

> While I can't imagine how I managed it now, I don't remember
> struggling with browsing Wikipedia on a 56K modem. In fact, I think I
> browsed it on a 36.6K modem... If it is what you are used to, it
> really doesn't seem that bad.

As long as you can download an article (with images) faster than you can
read it, it at least serves the basic purpose of providing access to
knowledge.

But in my opinion Wikipedia (like any encyclopedia) is an absolutely
terrible source of knowledge standing alone. An encyclopedia can provide a
broad outline of a topic to evaluate which topics you are interested in
learning more about, point you to some resources for further reading, and
remind you of the answer to some specific questions as they come up, but an
encyclopedia cannot stand alone. Education requires access to the rest of
the library as well. And it also requires things that probably won't be
found in any library (or Wikibook). How to bribe the local police comes to
mind. And then there's the whole world which is excluded from Wikimedia
projects for being allegedly "POV". Perhaps if the definition of "POV" had
been better designed this wouldn't be such a problem, but considering that
WP:POV says such things as "Hard facts are really rare", I think it's quite
obvious NPOV knowledge is not sufficient.

So unless you're going to create a very targeted library for each
individual, I think that means full internet access (even that is quite
incomplete though, especially if you ignore non-free resources like e-books
and audiobooks). Going through all the trouble of providing a netbook and
wireless connection and then crippling it to only be capable of accessing
Wikipedia (and presumably the rest of the Wikimedia sites) would be
incredibly wasteful. If full Internet access is too expensive for one
individual, have it shared among many. If even that is too expensive,
probably because sufficient sharing is infeasible due to low population
density, then the solution should be explicitly temporary.

Enough generalities, though.
Re: One Wikipedia Per Person (regarding the distribution of and the ability to read Wikipedia) [ In reply to ]
On Sun, May 31, 2009 at 6:42 PM, Anthony <wikimail@inbox.org> wrote:
> The educated people in rural areas generally get themselves out.  If someone
> voluntarily chooses to live a subsistence lifestyle, there's no point in
> providing them with a free copy of Wikipedia in the first place.

Few people voluntarily chose to be poor or near starvation - they
don't have access to appropriate education, economy, and technology to
advance.

We cannot solve the second any more than the western world has over
the last couple of centuries, but we can help with 1 and possibly 3 if
we bring knowledge closer to people.

WikiHow is probably more hands-on practical for some of this purpose,
let's generalize out to "Freely Available info sources" from
"Wikipedia" - we could coordinate something but include much more than
just our own info.

OLPC is focused on kids. That's important. Perhaps a sister program
to provide one OLPC or like device per village, with a more adult
development / educational / practical hands on skills data set load
would be appropriate.

--
-george william herbert
george.herbert@gmail.com

Re: One Wikipedia Per Person (regarding the distribution of and the ability to read Wikipedia) [ In reply to ]
2009/6/2 George Herbert <george.herbert@gmail.com>:

> OLPC is focused on kids.  That's important.  Perhaps a sister program
> to provide one OLPC or like device per village, with a more adult
> development / educational / practical hands on skills data set load
> would be appropriate.

http://www.pixelqi.com/ are displaying their first prototypes this
week at Computex in Taipei. Put one of those in a cheap cheap cheap
netbook with lotsa flash. Expensive this year, half the price every
second year following.

- d.

Re: One Wikipedia Per Person (regarding the distribution of and the ability to read Wikipedia) [ In reply to ]
On Tue, Jun 2, 2009 at 4:59 PM, David Gerard <dgerard@gmail.com> wrote:

> 2009/6/2 George Herbert <george.herbert@gmail.com>:
>
> > OLPC is focused on kids. That's important. Perhaps a sister program
> > to provide one OLPC or like device per village, with a more adult
> > development / educational / practical hands on skills data set load
> > would be appropriate.
>

> http://www.pixelqi.com/ are displaying their first prototypes this
> week at Computex in Taipei. Put one of those in a cheap cheap cheap
> netbook with lotsa flash. Expensive this year, half the price every
> second year following.

Yeah, OLPC without the focus on kids is just a netbook, and there are
already netbooks cheaper than OLPCs.
Re: One Wikipedia Per Person (regarding the distribution of and the ability to read Wikipedia) [ In reply to ]
On Tue, Jun 2, 2009 at 2:13 PM, Anthony <wikimail@inbox.org> wrote:
> On Tue, Jun 2, 2009 at 4:59 PM, David Gerard <dgerard@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> 2009/6/2 George Herbert <george.herbert@gmail.com>:
>>
>> > OLPC is focused on kids.  That's important.  Perhaps a sister program
>> > to provide one OLPC or like device per village, with a more adult
>> > development / educational / practical hands on skills data set load
>> > would be appropriate.
>>

>> http://www.pixelqi.com/ are displaying their first prototypes this
>> week at Computex in Taipei. Put one of those in a cheap cheap cheap
>> netbook with lotsa flash. Expensive this year, half the price every
>> second year following.
>

> Yeah, OLPC without the focus on kids is just a netbook, and there are
> already netbooks cheaper than OLPCs.

OLPC will last far longer out in the field than alternate platforms,
and uses less power.

Durability matters...

--
-george william herbert
george.herbert@gmail.com

Re: One Wikipedia Per Person (regarding the distribution of and the ability to read Wikipedia) [ In reply to ]
2009/6/2 George Herbert <george.herbert@gmail.com>:

> OLPC will last far longer out in the field than alternate platforms,
> and uses less power.
> Durability matters...

This is true. Netbooks tend to the "cheap and cheerful" end of the
spectrum, and I can hardly think of a popular model that's been out
more than six months without common hardware problems cropping up -
e.g. the left mouse button on Eee 701 and 901, the yellow tinge at the
right of the screen on the MSI Wind ...

- d.