Mailing List Archive

Google Chrome to support Ogg Theora video natively
Another step towards an open web -- Google's Chrome browser is going
to support Theora video natively with the HTML5 video tag:
http://blog.internetnews.com/skerner/2009/05/google-chrome-3-adds-html5.html
http://codereview.chromium.org/115625/diff/1/2

(Mozilla has already committed to this--and funded some of our
development of video support also!--and it looks like Opera will as
well. Video site Dailymotion is now using open video as well:
http://www.0xdeadbeef.com/weblog/?p=1312 )

If it weren't for Wikimedia using it, this work probably wouldn't have
gone into enabling native browser support for it. So thanks to all for
your work on this. :-)

Cheers,
Kat

--
Your donations keep Wikipedia online: http://donate.wikimedia.org/en
Wikimedia, Press: kat@wikimedia.org * Personal: kat@mindspillage.org

Re: Google Chrome to support Ogg Theora video natively [ In reply to ]
El 5/28/09 1:56 PM, Kat Walsh escribió:
> Another step towards an open web -- Google's Chrome browser is going
> to support Theora video natively with the HTML5 video tag:
> http://blog.internetnews.com/skerner/2009/05/google-chrome-3-adds-html5.html
> http://codereview.chromium.org/115625/diff/1/2
>
> (Mozilla has already committed to this--and funded some of our
> development of video support also!--and it looks like Opera will as
> well. Video site Dailymotion is now using open video as well:
> http://www.0xdeadbeef.com/weblog/?p=1312 )
>
> If it weren't for Wikimedia using it, this work probably wouldn't have
> gone into enabling native browser support for it. So thanks to all for
> your work on this. :-)

Woohoo! :D

Welcome to the cool kids' table, Google! ;)

-- brion

Re: Google Chrome to support Ogg Theora video natively [ In reply to ]
That is seriously good news and demonstrates Wikimedia's leadership in
the field yet again.

Re: Google Chrome to support Ogg Theora video natively [ In reply to ]
Yep, good news indeed :)

Re: Google Chrome to support Ogg Theora video natively [ In reply to ]
On Fri, May 29, 2009 at 00:06, philippe <philippe.wiki@gmail.com> wrote:
> That is seriously good news and demonstrates Wikimedia's leadership in
> the field yet again.

Great!

Wikipedia's pioneering extensive usage of Unicode was noticed by Unicode.

Wikipedia's consistent usage of IPA was noticed by Prof. Asher Laufer,
a phonetics researcher from HUJI. He gave it as an example of the fact
that the world is moving from diverse and incompatible phonetic
transcriptions to IPA in the introductory university phonology
textbook that he recently released.

I have seen a few articles about web design and accessibility giving
Wikipedia as an example of a site that is relatively committed to the
W3C standards.

There are more example of this kind. And now OGG.

So the "yet again" part is very true and makes me quite proud.

--
Amir E. Aharoni

heb: http://haharoni.wordpress.com | eng: http://aharoni.wordpress.com
cat: http://aprenent.wordpress.com | rus: http://amire80.livejournal.com