Mailing List Archive

Congratulations to Gdansk!
Congratulations to the Poland team for winning the Wikimania 2010 bid!

Dedalus
Re: Congratulations to Gdansk! [ In reply to ]
2009/5/7 Dedalus <dedalus@wikipedia.be>:
> Congratulations to the Poland team for winning the Wikimania 2010 bid!

Thank you :-) Actually we are all very happy but also shocked in
Poland. Now, we feel great responsibility to organize Wikimania as
well as we are able or even better :-) I think all three biding team
deserve congratulation as all of them did great job as well, and
Wikimania could have been be a success in Amsterdam or Oxford.

--
Tomek "Polimerek" Ganicz
http://www.ganicz.pl/poli/

Re: Congratulations to Gdansk! [ In reply to ]
2009/5/7 Dedalus <dedalus@wikipedia.be>:

> Congratulations to the Poland team for winning the Wikimania 2010 bid!

Danzig!

/me runs away v. fast

- d.

Re: Congratulations to Gdansk! [ In reply to ]
Congratulations! I know that I grilled you with many questions during the
bidding process, but that's because I thought your bid was very strong and
wanted to make sure you thought about various details. I was satisfied with
the answer regarding the venue space, especially the idea of having outdoor
space as social space.

There were pros and cons of all of the bids and I think any of the bid
options would have worked just fine. The Poland location is a good
opportunity for outreach to Eastern European Wikipedians and seems not so
far from Germany (Berlin), Denmark, Sweden, and other places.

-Aude

Re: Congratulations to Gdansk! [ In reply to ]
Tomasz Ganicz escribió:
> 2009/5/7 Dedalus <dedalus@wikipedia.be>:
>> Congratulations to the Poland team for winning the Wikimania 2010 bid!
>>

> Thank you :-) Actually we are all very happy but also shocked in
> Poland. Now, we feel great responsibility to organize Wikimania as
> well as we are able or even better :-)

The Polish Wikipedia community has always been strong and active, ever
since the earliest days when Polish was broken out to separate hosting
for a while to demonstrate the need to upgrade our wikis for proper
Unicode support.

Congratulations -- it'll be great to meet all you guys on your home turf
for a change! :)

> I think all three biding team
> deserve congratulation as all of them did great job as well, and
> Wikimania could have been be a success in Amsterdam or Oxford.

They were all great bids, which is why the poor bid committee was stuck
so long making their decision! :) Here's holding out for 2011 and 2012...

-- brion vibber (brion @ wikimedia.org)
CTO, Wikimedia Foundation
San Francisco

Re: Congratulations to Gdansk! [ In reply to ]
> Thank you :-) Actually we are all very happy but also shocked in
> Poland. Now, we feel great responsibility to organize Wikimania as
> well as we are able or even better :-) I think all three biding team
> deserve congratulation as all of them did great job as well, and
> Wikimania could have been be a success in Amsterdam or Oxford.

Hey Tomasz - yes, congratulations to you and the rest of the Poland
team! We were just talking about this the other day and now it has
happened. We look forward to helping out all of you on this. (I will be
seeing more of you on Skype et al, right?) It will be really exciting to
have the next Wikimania in Poland.

Kudos to the other teams for their strong bids as well.

Now...which Polish words should I start filling my brain with?

Kul

Re: Congratulations to Gdansk! [ In reply to ]
Tomasz Ganicz wrote:
> 2009/5/7 Dedalus <dedalus@wikipedia.be>:
>> Congratulations to the Poland team for winning the Wikimania 2010 bid!
>>

> Thank you :-) Actually we are all very happy but also shocked in
> Poland. Now, we feel great responsibility to organize Wikimania as
> well as we are able or even better :-) I think all three biding team
> deserve congratulation as all of them did great job as well, and
> Wikimania could have been be a success in Amsterdam or Oxford.

To be able bring what captivates me on a daily basis back to the city I
was born and grew up in makes happy as can be.

Thank you for making my worlds collide.

--tomasz

Re: Congratulations to Gdansk! [ In reply to ]
Tomasz,

> To be able bring what captivates me on a daily basis back to the
> city I
> was born and grew up in makes happy as can be.

Heeheee, :-) And I hereby declare my Green Wikimania, I'll carpool to
get there!

Domas Mituzas -- http://dammit.lt/ -- [[user:midom]]

Re: Congratulations to Gdansk! [ In reply to ]
On Thu, May 7, 2009 at 11:45 AM, Domas Mituzas <midom.lists@gmail.com> wrote:
> Tomasz,
>
>> To be able bring what captivates me on a daily basis back to the
>> city I
>> was born and grew up in makes happy as can be.
>

> Heeheee, :-) And I hereby declare my Green Wikimania, I'll carpool to
> get there!

...bycicle, Domas, bycicle...

--
Michael Bimmler
mbimmler@gmail.com

Re: Congratulations to Gdansk! [ In reply to ]
Michael Bimmler wrote:
> On Thu, May 7, 2009 at 11:45 AM, Domas Mituzas <midom.lists@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Tomasz,
>>
>>> To be able bring what captivates me on a daily basis back to the
>>> city I
>>> was born and grew up in makes happy as can be.
>>
>> Heeheee, :-) And I hereby declare my Green Wikimania, I'll carpool to
>> get there!
>>

> ...bycicle, Domas, bycicle...

And I was thinking of walking and swimming....

- Heinrich Heine
Re: Congratulations to Gdansk! [ In reply to ]
On Thu, May 7, 2009 at 11:46 AM, Michael Bimmler <mbimmler@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Thu, May 7, 2009 at 11:45 AM, Domas Mituzas <midom.lists@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Tomasz,
>>
>>> To be able bring what captivates me on a daily basis back to the
>>> city I
>>> was born and grew up in makes happy as can be.
>>

>> Heeheee, :-) And I hereby declare my Green Wikimania, I'll carpool to
>> get there!
>>

> ...bycicle, Domas, bycicle...

Ahem, the "by" was a bit too strong in my mind... I actually wanted to
put "by muscular energy" first, but decided to clarify.

michael

--
Michael Bimmler
mbimmler@gmail.com

Re: Congratulations to Gdansk! [ In reply to ]
Congratulations to all people involved on this bid!

Re: Congratulations to Gdansk! [ In reply to ]
Congrats to the Polish team, and poor committee, it's always a tough
decision but this year one seems one of toughest since ever.

Thank you for everyone involved and hope to see you all in Gdansk next year.
Again, congrats!

On Thu, May 7, 2009 at 5:46 PM, Dedalus <dedalus@wikipedia.be> wrote:
> Congratulations to the Poland team for winning the Wikimania 2010 bid!
>
> Dedalus

KIZU Naoko
http://d.hatena.ne.jp/Britty (in Japanese)