Mailing List Archive

Re: NPOV as common value?
Brianna Laugher wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I think the Board's statement is quite commendable if unremarkable
> (which is I guess part of the reason for the silence - nothing new,
> which is as it should be!). Only one comment actually surprised me.
>
> 2009/4/21 Michael Snow <wikipedia@verizon.net>:
>
>> The Wikimedia Foundation takes this opportunity to reiterate some core
>> principles related to our shared vision, mission, and values. One of
>> these values which is common to all our projects is a commitment to
>> maintaining a neutral point of view.
>>
> I find it a bit strange to talk of Wikimedia Commons as having a NPOV
> policy. Like Wikiquote, our "unit" of interest is something that
> typically has a strong authorial voice rather than being a synthesis
> of multiple contributions. (Unlike WQ, it does in some circumstances
> make sense to edit a file, unlike a quote -- but usually if the edit
> radically changes the meaning, it should become a separate, derived
> work.)
>
> We are also, like WQ, bound by the creations of others, especially in
> relation to past events.
Wikipedia is also bound by the creations of others (or the informations
of others, if you will). This is expressed in principles like "no
original research" and the expectation that assertions be backed by
reliable sources. The commitment to a neutral point of view is not
directed at what others have said, whether in text, visual presentation,
or other media. Rather, it focuses on what we do with that material, how
it is assembled, put in context, and presented to the audience.

For example, in Wikiquote, I think an expression of neutral point of
view would be to focus on the question of what is actually "quotable".
It should not be up to me to choose some passage Gandhi wrote, say in
his autobiography, as a quote simply because it strikes my fancy. That's
not a neutral approach to selecting what goes into Wikiquote. Properly,
the passage should have been quoted already somewhere, and I can point
to that to demonstrate its quotability. This extends also to tracking
misquoted and misattributed material; we can cite usage of the purported
quotation and present it alongside the real version where that is traceable.
> I also find there is some tension between the views of 1) "Wikimedia
> Commons as a service project" and 2) "Wikimedia Commons as a project
> in its own right".

I would suggest that because of our educational mission, especially with
the focus on freely licensed material, all of our projects should be
seen as "service projects" in some sense. They exist not for their own
sake, but for the value others can draw from them. That may be by simply
"consuming" the material, but it may also involve recasting or modifying
it, or integrating it with other material. This is also why we are
looking at the license situation, and every project should allow for
these relationships, not just within Wikimedia but in the free culture
movement generally. By its nature the service project aspect is
particularly obvious for Wikimedia Commons, but this doesn't mean it
cannot be a project in its own right as well.
> It *may* make sense to talk to NPOV for Wikimedia Commons, but I don't
> think it is necessarily obvious, or that it should be assumed everyone
> has a shared understanding of what that means.
>
> Of interest: <http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Commons:Project_scope/Neutral_point_of_view>

As a relative youngster among our projects, I expect Wikimedia Commons
will continue to work out its identity. This policy page is a decent
basic start toward figuring out what neutral point of view means in the
Commons setting.

In the context of biographies of living people, I did think it was
important to tie the issue back to our shared values, especially
maintaining a neutral point of view. And if that has sometimes been more
in the background, I felt this was a good opportunity to have it stated
clearly. It still remains for all of us to sort out its meaning and
application.

--Michael Snow

Re: NPOV as common value? [ In reply to ]
On Wed, Apr 22, 2009 at 6:52 AM, Michael Snow <wikipedia@verizon.net> wrote:
> [...]
>> It *may* make sense to talk to NPOV for Wikimedia Commons, but I don't
>> think it is necessarily obvious, or that it should be assumed everyone
>> has a shared understanding of what that means.
>>
>> Of interest: <http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Commons:Project_scope/Neutral_point_of_view>
>>
> As a relative youngster among our projects, I expect Wikimedia Commons
> will continue to work out its identity. This policy page is a decent
> basic start toward figuring out what neutral point of view means in the
> Commons setting.
>
> In the context of biographies of living people, I did think it was
> important to tie the issue back to our shared values, especially
> maintaining a neutral point of view. And if that has sometimes been more
> in the background, I felt this was a good opportunity to have it stated
> clearly. It still remains for all of us to sort out its meaning and

Some of the NPOV-related problems may be solved by talking about
context. If we say that a single piece of art (or propaganda or
whatever) is not a context, then problems related to Commons are
solved.

In relation to your Wikiquote example, I think that you were talking
there about notability, not about NPOV.

But, is it useful to move sense of NPOV at more and more higher
levels? While it is hard, but (I think) possible to make NPOV
educational books up to the secondary school level, it is not possible
to make educational courses according to NPOV. Ideological demands to
educational courses are totalitarian. It would be possible to make
basic math course strictly according to NPOV, but not even about some
fundamentals of natural sciences (I am not talking about
non-scientific disagreements with scientific facts, but about
disagreements between scientists; and, unlike an encyclopedic article,
it may be impossible to make a course by mixing approaches).

NPOV is a very good starting point for writing an encyclopedia. But,
it is not any kind of general knowledge which may be implemented
everywhere. And, if it is treated as such, then it is an ideology.

If the Board is not able to make a general scientific framework for
projects other than Wikipedia, I think that it should hire some
scientists to do so.

Re: NPOV as common value? [ In reply to ]
Milos Rancic wrote:
> In relation to your Wikiquote example, I think that you were talking
> there about notability, not about NPOV.

To the extent that notability has any value for us at all as a concept,
it is only because it draws on the principle of a neutral point of view.
Applying quotability criteria to Wikiquote is an approach to ensuring
that it's not my point of view about what is a quotation, but instead
I'm neutrally documenting quotations used by other sources. That's a
rather straightforward form of neutral point of view, in fact, whereas
notability has proven much more challenging to define.
> NPOV is a very good starting point for writing an encyclopedia. But,
> it is not any kind of general knowledge which may be implemented
> everywhere. And, if it is treated as such, then it is an ideology.
>
> If the Board is not able to make a general scientific framework for
> projects other than Wikipedia, I think that it should hire some
> scientists to do so.

Scientific? Is there something scientific about neutral point of view as
a framework for Wikipedia, even? It has some similarities to the
scientific method, I suppose, but I'm not sure that's what we imagine
ourselves to be doing. Science is part of the knowledge we are
compiling, certainly. But neutral point of view is not a kind of
knowledge itself. Rather, it is an approach to knowledge, one that has
served us well and, as far as I can tell, runs through the culture of
all our projects.

--Michael Snow

Re: NPOV as common value? [ In reply to ]
On Wed, Apr 22, 2009 at 8:06 AM, Michael Snow <wikipedia@verizon.net> wrote:
> Scientific? Is there something scientific about neutral point of view as
> a framework for Wikipedia, even? It has some similarities to the
> scientific method, I suppose, but I'm not sure that's what we imagine
> ourselves to be doing. Science is part of the knowledge we are
> compiling, certainly. But neutral point of view is not a kind of
> knowledge itself. Rather, it is an approach to knowledge, one that has
> served us well and, as far as I can tell, runs through the culture of
> all our projects.

There are many approaches to knowledge and one of them is scientific.
Encyclopedic approach is a derivative of the scientific approach. NPOV
is one (good) encyclopedic approach.

But, out of Wikipedia, we have other projects, which are not
encyclopedias. Implementing encyclopedic approach to, let's say,
dictionary, may fit up to some extent. Implementing encyclopedic
approach to writing books is just wrong. But, implementing it on
fields of knowledge which should deal with approaches to knowledge is
totalitarian.

If our approach is not scientific, then it the approach is ideological
(including religious). I hope that you don't think that NPOV has some
fundamental differences from other encyclopedic approaches which are
based on lexicographical methods.

Re: NPOV as common value? [ In reply to ]
Michael Snow, 22/04/2009 06:52:
> For example, in Wikiquote, I think an expression of neutral point of
> view would be to focus on the question of what is actually "quotable".

Read more here:
http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Neutral_point_of_view_on_Wikiquote
Regrettably, en.wikiquote does not have a real NPOV policy (there's only
an old import from Wikipedia): this NPOV policy has been really useful
on it.wikiquote.

Nemo

Re: NPOV as common value? [ In reply to ]
Nemo_bis, 22/04/2009 23:49:
> this NPOV policy has been really useful on it.wikiquote.
I forgot to mention that we have also policies on original research
(http://it.wikiquote.org/wiki/WQ:NRO) and notability
(http://it.wikiquote.org/wiki/Wikiquote:Wikiquote#Significativit.C3.A0):
it was very useful to adapt such notions to Wikiquote (again,
en.wikiquote does not have policies on that).

Nemo

Re: NPOV as common value? [ In reply to ]
On Wed, Apr 22, 2009 at 1:25 AM, Milos Rancic <millosh@gmail.com> wrote:

> Some of the NPOV-related problems may be solved by talking about
> context. If we say that a single piece of art (or propaganda or
> whatever) is not a context, then problems related to Commons are
> solved.

Yes. Context is relevant to any assessment of neutrality. An overall
systemic bias among article topics, even if each article is neutrally
written, is not itself neutral. This extends to whole projects as
well as across/among projects.

> In relation to your Wikiquote example, I think that you were talking
> there about notability, not about NPOV.

Well, there is neutral balance in selection of sources from which
quotes are drawn. You can have a thousand quotes from napoleon, each
represented neutrally in English with notes about any disagreements in
the translation, but if every one of them is about death and horses,
it will be a biased view of the man and his sense of the world.

> But, is it useful to move sense of NPOV at more and more higher
> levels?

I think so.

> While it is hard, but (I think) possible to make NPOV
> educational books up to the secondary school level, it is not possible
> to make educational courses according to NPOV. Ideological demands to
> educational courses are totalitarian.

I don't agree with the first statement, and don't understand the tone
of the second.

> fundamentals of natural sciences (I am not talking about
> non-scientific disagreements with scientific facts, but about
> disagreements between scientists; and, unlike an encyclopedic article,
> it may be impossible to make a course by mixing approaches).

One wouldn't need to mix approaches, and no article includes in detail
all sides of the issue. One would need to provide reflective
annotation about parts of the course which were dictated by
limitations in time and format, and about parts where major processes
and sequences differ among the most prominent course-creating bodies
or schols of thought.

> NPOV is a very good starting point for writing an encyclopedia. But,
> it is not any kind of general knowledge which may be implemented
> everywhere. And, if it is treated as such, then it is an ideology.

Neutrality has nothing to do with 'encyclopedia'. It has something to
do with leavine one's ego and personal expertise out of the picture
when sharing knwoledge with others. It has a LOT to do with creating
any universal resource to which uncoordinated people can contribute
what they have to teach or share, with a minimum of destructive
opposition and reversion.

> If the Board is not able to make a general scientific framework for
> projects other than Wikipedia, I think that it should hire some
> scientists to do so.

Science is not yet neutral. The 'scientific method' we currently use
as a meterstick is a fairly casual method, often producing biased or
context-free results, which would be improved by a bit of the same
self-reflection required to describe something with NPOV.

You are right to use Mathematics as an example of a neutral science,
but it took millennia before this happened, even after it first became
a measurable and respected science and not only an element of language
and business and mysticism.

SJ

Re: NPOV as common value? [ In reply to ]
2009/4/22 Samuel Klein <meta.sj@gmail.com>:

> Science is not yet neutral.  The 'scientific method' we currently use
> as a meterstick is a fairly casual method, often producing biased or
> context-free results, which would be improved by a bit of the same
> self-reflection required to describe something with NPOV.

That's why NPOV and Scientific Point Of View are different things.

(speaking here as a sceptical atheist who considers Richard Dawkins
entirely too moderate, I have had occasion to suggest to other
sceptics that they tone it down for Wikipedia - anyone who disagrees
won't listen, and anyone unconvinced will be put off by a didactic
tone.)

It's where the apparently-odd en:wp phrase "verifiability not truth"
comes in: we're mere humans, we don't have access to cosmic truth in
all its glory; verifiable references are all we have to go on and show
to others.

- d.

Re: NPOV as common value? [ In reply to ]
Milos Rancic wrote:
> On Wed, Apr 22, 2009 at 8:06 AM, Michael Snow wrote:
>
>> Scientific? Is there something scientific about neutral point of view as
>> a framework for Wikipedia, even? It has some similarities to the
>> scientific method, I suppose, but I'm not sure that's what we imagine
>> ourselves to be doing. Science is part of the knowledge we are
>> compiling, certainly. But neutral point of view is not a kind of
>> knowledge itself. Rather, it is an approach to knowledge, one that has
>> served us well and, as far as I can tell, runs through the culture of
>> all our projects.
>>
> There are many approaches to knowledge and one of them is scientific.
> Encyclopedic approach is a derivative of the scientific approach. NPOV
> is one (good) encyclopedic approach.
>
> But, out of Wikipedia, we have other projects, which are not
> encyclopedias. Implementing encyclopedic approach to, let's say,
> dictionary, may fit up to some extent. Implementing encyclopedic
> approach to writing books is just wrong. But, implementing it on
> fields of knowledge which should deal with approaches to knowledge is
> totalitarian.
>
> If our approach is not scientific, then it the approach is ideological
> (including religious). I hope that you don't think that NPOV has some
> fundamental differences from other encyclopedic approaches which are
> based on lexicographical methods.
The scientific approach can be just as ideological and totalitarian as
the religious. A lexicographical approach strikes me as based on
semantics divorced from reality. The bare claim that one's approach is
scientific is often no more than a rhetorical device for supporting
one's point of view. In reality the scientific approach is a subset of
NPOV, where it is balanced with other approaches. An encyclopedic
approach has more to do with comprehensiveness than neutrality; an
ideological encyclopedia can be comprehensive within defined parameters
without being neutral.

I begin from the premise that NPOV must apply to all WMF projects
without exception. What that means to different sister projects is
quite variable. The broad applicability to Wikipedias is much clearer
and more established than in other projects. In the others it is much
less obvious, and the disputes on Wikisource relating to NPOV are a much
smaller proportion than on other projects. If NPOV is accepted as a
broad principle it is the responsibility of each project to define how
it applies to that project.

Ec