Mailing List Archive

Licence
Someone asked me a question on the French wikipedia and to be fair, I am
not sure what to answer.

The CURRENT text of the licencing proposition gives a link to

Whilst the text of the resolution adopted in december 2007
http://wikimediafoundation.org/wiki/Resolution:License_update
Refers to
http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/3.0/us/

The second is the US one. Not the first.

What are the implications ? And which one is *currently* proposed for
the relicensing scheme ?

thanks

Ant

Re: Licence [ In reply to ]
Florence Devouard wrote:
> Someone asked me a question on the French wikipedia and to be fair, I am
> not sure what to answer.
>
> The CURRENT text of the licencing proposition gives a link to
> http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/3.0/
>

> Whilst the text of the resolution adopted in december 2007
> http://wikimediafoundation.org/wiki/Resolution:License_update
> Refers to
> http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/3.0/us/
>
> The second is the US one. Not the first.
>
> What are the implications ? And which one is *currently* proposed for
> the relicensing scheme ?
>
> thanks
>
> Ant

By the way, is that completely normal that the site notice on the
english wikipedia is occupied by Wikimania scholarship rather than by
the change of licence ?

With all due respect to Wikimania, it seems to me the impact of the
licence is higher than Wikimania scholarship.

Ant

Re: Licence [ In reply to ]
On Mon, Apr 20, 2009 at 10:11 AM, Florence Devouard <Anthere9@yahoo.com> wrote:
> By the way, is that completely normal that the site notice on the
> english wikipedia is occupied by Wikimania scholarship rather than by
> the change of licence ?
>
> With all due respect to Wikimania, it seems to me the impact of the
> licence is higher than Wikimania scholarship.

All sites should be showing both. Which one occurs on any given page
view is random, but the licensing notice is weighted to be 2.5 times
more common than the Wikimania notice.

-Robert Rohde

Re: Licence [ In reply to ]
2009/4/20 Florence Devouard <Anthere9@yahoo.com>:
> Whilst the text of the resolution adopted in december 2007
> http://wikimediafoundation.org/wiki/Resolution:License_update
> Refers to
> http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/3.0/us/

To my knowledge, the jurisdictional variant URL wasn't intentionally
chosen in the hyperlinks in the Board resolution. The language of the
proposed migration, which has been vetted by the Board, has
consistently referenced the "unported" version.
--
Erik Möller
Deputy Director, Wikimedia Foundation

Re: Licence [ In reply to ]
On Mon, Apr 20, 2009 at 12:11, Florence Devouard <Anthere9@yahoo.com> wrote:

> By the way, is that completely normal that the site notice on the
> english wikipedia is occupied by Wikimania scholarship rather than by
> the change of licence ?
>
> With all due respect to Wikimania, it seems to me the impact of the
> licence is higher than Wikimania scholarship.

At the moment enwiki's sitenotices alternate between Wikimania scholarships
and the license vote. IIRC it's the same story on other wikis as well.

--
Jim Redmond
[[User:Jredmond]]