Mailing List Archive

Usability study in progress
Howdy.
(adding wikien-l folks to this thread. my apology for not including
wikien-l with my initial email.)

The usability study has started today as scheduled. The usability team
is monitoring the interviews and how ten test participants interact with
Wikipedia when they are asked to edit an article at the lab facility in
San Francisco today and tomorrow. The remote usability study on
Thursday (March 26 PDT) will be done remotely, which means we recruit
participants from Wikipedia through the site notice, and connect with
them through web conferencing. Therefore the site notice for
recruitment will appear again on Thursday. We expect to compile the
results in a few weeks and the findings with you.

Naoko Komura
Program Manager, Wikimedia Foundation

Re: Usability study in progress [ In reply to ]
On Tue, Mar 24, 2009 at 9:28 PM, Naoko Komura <nkomura@wikimedia.org> wrote:

> The remote usability study on
> Thursday (March 26 PDT) will be done remotely, which means we recruit
> participants from Wikipedia through the site notice, and connect with
> them through web conferencing.

This is brilliant - you could automate the testing and reporting in
addition to having a virtually unlimited number of subjects.
Re: Usability study in progress [ In reply to ]
On Tue, Mar 24, 2009 at 9:15 PM, Brian <Brian.Mingus@colorado.edu> wrote:

> On Tue, Mar 24, 2009 at 9:28 PM, Naoko Komura <nkomura@wikimedia.org>
> wrote:
>
> > The remote usability study on
> > Thursday (March 26 PDT) will be done remotely, which means we recruit
> > participants from Wikipedia through the site notice, and connect with
> > them through web conferencing.
>

> This is brilliant - you could automate the testing and reporting in
> addition to having a virtually unlimited number of subjects.

It lacks some feedback from tests done in a lab - the video cameras
recording eye motion and focus, what someone says to themselves or others,
and user mouse patterns, are important data.

But more data is always good. If you can't get someone to meet you in the
lab, testing via web conferencing has been shown to be good data.

--
-george william herbert
george.herbert@gmail.com
Re: Usability study in progress [ In reply to ]
Dear Aphaia,

I'm really excited to get the result of this study since one of the common input that I got from newbie contributors either online or during workshops are that it's harder for them to write Wikipedia than to write blogs :) Though I still don't get it why they think that way ;)

Good luck and success for the effort.

--
Ivan Lanin | Wikimedia Indonesia | http://wikimedia.or.id
Sent from my BlackBerry®

Re: Usability study in progress [ In reply to ]
Hoi,
Naoko is Naoko and Aphaia is someone else..

http://wikimediafoundation.org/wiki/File:Naoko_Komura_December_2008.jpg
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/e/e6/Benutzer_Aphaia.jpg

Thanks,
GerardM

Re: Usability study in progress [ In reply to ]
Wikipedians should not be used to asses usabillity problems with
Wikipedia, this is rule number one if you want to get information about
why a newbie has problems with a system. A typical wikipedian is simply
not a valid newbie. Ten participants are not nearly enough, they can
only give you some clue about the real problem.

John

Re: Usability study in progress [ In reply to ]
Ten is a low number indeed, however, if those people are indeed
'typical users' instead of Wikipedians and you given them a few
specific tasks (say, searching for an article on a topic they are
interested in and editing it to add some information) you will
probably encounter lots of problems soon enough.

On a different note: i'm not sure if this has been discussed before
but will the usability study also take uploading media on Commons in
account? Editing text is one thing, but adding media (and hence, using
Commons) is almost as common and could also use *lots* of work on
increasing usability.

-- Hay

Re: Usability study in progress [ In reply to ]
One additional note, in Norway a lot of the newspapers used a layout
like Monobook (sort of) but has lately dismissed the solution in favor
of radically much simpler designs. Especially the list of links in a
left bar has been abandoned in favor of more directed approaches with
horizontal menus in the top of the pages. Some of the newspapers has
reported instantaneous increase in click rates.

It is thought provocative as most of the left bar is for wikipediams,
and therefore is usable to only a small percentile of the total users
(in page views). The rest of the users need navigational aids for the
main space.

John

Re: Usability study in progress [ In reply to ]
Hoi,
A newspaper wants people to read. We want very much that readers consider
the option to edit. The approach is therefore different. When I goto
Wikipedia as a reader, I might be enabled to change my role and consequently
get a different layout.
Thanks,
GerardM

Re: Usability study in progress [ In reply to ]
according to the Usability home page "initial focus on English Wikipedia,
eventually this research and development will be implemented across all
languages and possibly to other WikiMedia
projects<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikimedia_projects#Wikimedia_projects>"
so i would guess initially not.

regards

mark

Re: Usability study in progress [ In reply to ]
2009/3/25 John at Darkstar <vacuum@jeb.no>:
> Wikipedians should not be used to asses usabillity problems with
> Wikipedia, this is rule number one if you want to get information about
> why a newbie has problems with a system.

I'm not sure about your definition of "Wikipedians" above, but the
recruiting procedure uses a screening process to recruit _readers_ of
Wikipedia with no editing experience. Our goal here is to at the end
of the day make improvements to convert more readers to editors.

> Ten participants are not nearly enough, they can
> only give you some clue about the real problem.

There are different philosophies of usability, including a philosophy
of agile testing with few test subjects (
http://www.useit.com/alertbox/20000319.html ). There's general
agreement that with these kinds of tests, you'll quickly see
diminishing returns - adding many more people doesn't actually help
you discover many more problems. Moreover, resources are not infinite:
finding a good balance in terms of the number of testers allows you to
conduct more tests later, with the goal of validating whether the
changes you've made actually have had the intended effect.

Erik
--
Erik Möller
Deputy Director, Wikimedia Foundation

Re: Usability study in progress [ In reply to ]
On Wed, Mar 25, 2009 at 7:48 AM, Hay (Husky) <huskyr@gmail.com> wrote:
> On a different note: i'm not sure if this has been discussed before
> but will the usability study also take uploading media on Commons in
> account? Editing text is one thing, but adding media (and hence, using
> Commons) is almost as common and could also use *lots* of work on
> increasing usability.

As far as I know, *this* grant has to do with the English Wikipedia as
its focus (that doesn't mean what they find can't be applied to other
projects -- quite the opposite).

However, I do recall Erik saying something about a grant that is being
worked on for Commons, see
<http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Commons:Case_for_Commons>

--
Casey Brown
Cbrown1023

---
this address will probably get lost.

Re: Usability study in progress [ In reply to ]
Hi,

On Wed, Mar 25, 2009 at 4:12 PM, Casey Brown <cbrown1023.ml@gmail.com> wrote:

> As far as I know, *this* grant has to do with the English Wikipedia as
> its focus (that doesn't mean what they find can't be applied to other
> projects -- quite the opposite).
>
> However, I do recall Erik saying something about a grant that is being
> worked on for Commons, see
> <http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Commons:Case_for_Commons>

Michael Dale is also doing some pretty amazing job regarding the upload wizard:

http://brianna.modernthings.org/article/184/media-handling-on-wikimedia-preview-the-future-part-1
http://brianna.modernthings.org/article/180/media-handling-on-wikimedia-preview-the-future-part-2

--
Guillaume Paumier
[[m:User:guillom]]

Re: Usability study in progress [ In reply to ]
There are about 100 times more page views than edits, sometimes even more.
John

Re: Usability study in progress [ In reply to ]
I've seen some of the results from "agile testing", it seems like they
have a tendency to lock in on specific suboptimal solution. What is an
acceptable solution on a given limited state.

John

Re: Usability study in progress [ In reply to ]
2009/3/25 Casey Brown <cbrown1023.ml@gmail.com>:
> However, I do recall Erik saying something about a grant that is being
> worked on for Commons, see
> <http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Commons:Case_for_Commons>

Yep, that's correct. We've submitted a grant proposal specifically
with regard to uploading usability (which also involves the complexity
of licensing templates and such), and hope to hear back soon.
Uploading is not included in these first user tests.

Re: Usability study in progress [ In reply to ]
Thanks Erik, and to those who posted links. I'm very glad that Commons
is also taken into account with the usability enhancements.

-- Hay