Mailing List Archive

Re: Licensing transition: opposing points of view [ In reply to ]
On Sat, Mar 21, 2009 at 1:15 AM, Thomas Dalton <thomas.dalton@gmail.com> wrote:
> I think the percentages given as plausible, but do we really have 10
> million contributors? The English Wikipedia apparently has 9,237,657
> registered users, but I believe a very large proportion of them have
> never made an edit, an even larger proportion won't have any edits
> which still exist in articles. I find it very unlikely that there are
> 10 million contributors, even across all Wikimedia projects, that have
> copyrightable contributions. (Of course, I'm ignoring anons - I don't
> see how they can realistically sue for copyright infringement.) So I
> think the expected number of problematic cases is significantly less
> than 1, but it certainly isn't 0.

We'll have. If you start with just 100.000 contributors and raise
percentage to 10% (which may be reasonable too), you'll end with 100
cases.

But, it is reasonable to suppose that Mike's legal predictions are
more relevant than mine :) So, legal part is no issue anymore for me.

The only issue which stays is related to users which declare that they
want to be attributed: Would we allow that? If yes, is there any plan
("yes" is good answer enough) how to deal with making attribution
recommendations useless? If no, is it possible it legally?

Re: Licensing transition: opposing points of view [ In reply to ]
2009/3/21 Milos Rancic <millosh@gmail.com>:
> On Sat, Mar 21, 2009 at 1:15 AM, Thomas Dalton <thomas.dalton@gmail.com> wrote:
>> I think the percentages given as plausible, but do we really have 10
>> million contributors? The English Wikipedia apparently has 9,237,657
>> registered users, but I believe a very large proportion of them have
>> never made an edit, an even larger proportion won't have any edits
>> which still exist in articles. I find it very unlikely that there are
>> 10 million contributors, even across all Wikimedia projects, that have
>> copyrightable contributions. (Of course, I'm ignoring anons - I don't
>> see how they can realistically sue for copyright infringement.) So I
>> think the expected number of problematic cases is significantly less
>> than 1, but it certainly isn't 0.
>
> We'll have. If you start with just 100.000 contributors and raise
> percentage to 10% (which may be reasonable too), you'll end with 100
> cases.

10% doesn't sound at all reasonable to me.

> But, it is reasonable to suppose that Mike's legal predictions are
> more relevant than mine :) So, legal part is no issue anymore for me.

Only the last percentage is really a legal prediction, the rest are
more predictions of human behaviour. That said, the last percentage is
probably the only one that anyone can give anything more than a wild
guess at (which is why I didn't choose any stronger words than
"plausible" to describe them).

Re: Licensing transition: opposing points of view [ In reply to ]
2009/3/21 Erik Moeller <erik@wikimedia.org>:
> So let's step back for a second. There is a claim that the legal code
> of CC-BY-SA cannot be reconciled with the notion of attributing via
> URL-linkback only. Do you agree that this claim is false? If the claim
> is false, then surely it is possible to create terms and conditions
> for a website under which authors contribute under such a model. If it
> is possible, then the final question is whether the current proposed
> terms for the edit page satisfy those conditions. I contend that they
> do, because they are sufficiently clear about the intended
> consequences (we don't need to spell out in detail how the terms and
> conditions relate to the license, as long as it's possible for them to
> relate to the license in a way that is logical and consistent).

Again you miss the point. Wikipedia has 293,896,584 edits that were
not released under those TOS.

--
geni

Re: Licensing transition: opposing points of view [ In reply to ]
2009/3/20 geni <geniice@gmail.com>:
> Your suggestion that wikipedia:copyrights has any baring on what
> people have agreed to have done with their work simply doesn't hold
> water.

Well, I'm glad that we've cleared up that CC-BY-SA and link-back
credit aren't irreconcilable after all. Now we're apparently moving on
to the new topic: Do site-wide terms of use matter when determining
what a license means in practice? I'm not going to spend a lot of time
on this argument: Of course a site-wide policy page linked to from
every page has relevance when determining the terms of use/re-use. But
even a literal and unreasonably narrow focus on the GFDL doesn't
support rigorous author attribution:

1) Authors contributed acknowledging that they are licensing their
edits under the GFDL;
2) The GFDL has an "at least five principal authors" requirement to
give credit on the page title;
3) Wikipedia does not give credit on the page title;
4) The act of repeatedly contributing to Wikipedia under the GFDL can
be argued to constitute the release from attribution which the GFDL
allows for.

The change tracking history section has nothing to do with
attribution, as I've noted before. That's evident because the GFDL
explicitly places reasonable limitations on the extent of author
credit, to prevent the kinds of excessive bylines that we've been
talking about. It's also evident because a GFDL document can be
created without a page history while still giving author credit. In
the context of a wiki, change histories were clearly not designed for
purposes of author credit, as they are an incredibly annoying tool
when you actually want to use them for this purpose.

I'm not making this argument: I am saying that we have established,
through historical practice, policy and debate, that crediting
re-users via link or URL is a minimally acceptable baseline. What is
and isn't acceptable is defined through more than the license. But the
experience of contributing under a literal reading of the license
alone doesn't support a claim to require stronger author attribution
than what we're proposing, or even any author attribution at all.
--
Erik Möller
Deputy Director, Wikimedia Foundation

Re: Licensing transition: opposing points of view [ In reply to ]
On Sat, Mar 21, 2009 at 1:57 AM, Thomas Dalton <thomas.dalton@gmail.com> wrote:
> 10% doesn't sound at all reasonable to me.

In one of the previous emails I described that 5 very active
contributors were not happy with the situation at sr.wp at the time
when there were ~40 very active contributors. I don't think that sr.wp
had much more than 100 important contributors and I may count 10
unhappy. So, the first 10% have some empirical grounds. Actually, even
the next 10% have empirical grounds: I know the person who would sue
sr.wp community if they can. Fortunately, the next 10% are 0.1.

>> But, it is reasonable to suppose that Mike's legal predictions are
>> more relevant than mine :) So, legal part is no issue anymore for me.
>
> Only the last percentage is really a legal prediction, the rest are
> more predictions of human behaviour. That said, the last percentage is
> probably the only one that anyone can give anything more than a wild
> guess at (which is why I didn't choose any stronger words than
> "plausible" to describe them).

I was not EFF lawyer and Serbia is an irrelevant place for copyright
and patent issues: we have 1 (one) person with PhD in copyright :)

Re: Licensing transition: opposing points of view [ In reply to ]
2009/3/21 Erik Moeller <erik@wikimedia.org>:
> Well, I'm glad that we've cleared up that CC-BY-SA and link-back
> credit aren't irreconcilable after all.

Well I suppose that confirms you haven't really been paying attention.

> Now we're apparently moving on
> to the new topic: Do site-wide terms of use matter when determining
> what a license means in practice? I'm not going to spend a lot of time
> on this argument: Of course a site-wide policy page linked to from
> every page has relevance when determining the terms of use/re-use.

I assume you are trying to claim that wikipedia:copyrights is some
kind of TOS equiv.

Now that argument is flawed on a number of grounds but I think I'll
take the easy option. Where is the link of the following pages:

http://it.wikipedia.org/wiki/Canale_artificiale
http://da.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kanal
http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Hampshire_County,_West_Virginia
http://ru.wikipedia.org/wiki/%D0%9A%D0%B0%D0%BD%D0%B0%D0%BB_(%D0%B3%D0%B8%D0%B4%D1%80%D0%BE%D0%B3%D1%80%D0%B0%D1%84%D0%B8%D1%8F)
http://nl.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kanaal_(waterweg)

> But
> even a literal and unreasonably narrow focus on the GFDL doesn't
> support rigorous author attribution:
>
> 1) Authors contributed acknowledging that they are licensing their
> edits under the GFDL;
> 2) The GFDL has an "at least five principal authors" requirement to
> give credit on the page title;
> 3) Wikipedia does not give credit on the page title;

Strangely there is no requirement that the history and the title page
not be the same thing.

> 4) The act of repeatedly contributing to Wikipedia under the GFDL can
> be argued to constitute the release from attribution which the GFDL
> allows for.

Please provide the section you think allows for it.

> The change tracking history section has nothing to do with
> attribution, as I've noted before. That's evident because the GFDL
> explicitly places reasonable limitations on the extent of author
> credit, to prevent the kinds of excessive bylines that we've been
> talking about.

Questionable. The GFDL is quite happy to see the title page extend
over several pages.

>It's also evident because a GFDL document can be
> created without a page history while still giving author credit.

However it cannot be modified without creating a history and that
history is required to include "new authors" among other things.

> In
> the context of a wiki, change histories were clearly not designed for
> purposes of author credit, as they are an incredibly annoying tool
> when you actually want to use them for this purpose.

The exception being if you want to use them in the context of the GFDL
which has a similar bunch of annoying requirements for it's history
section.

> I'm not making this argument:

Then please don't waste bandwidth with it.

>I am saying that we have established,
> through historical practice, policy and debate, that crediting
> re-users via link or URL is a minimally acceptable baseline.

False. Look up history merging sometime.

>What is
> and isn't acceptable is defined through more than the license. But the
> experience of contributing under a literal reading of the license
> alone doesn't support a claim to require stronger author attribution
> than what we're proposing, or even any author attribution at all.

Please state which section of the GFDL you are referring to here. I'm
fed up with playing guessing games.

--
geni

Re: Licensing transition: opposing points of view [ In reply to ]
2009/3/20 geni <geniice@gmail.com>:
> Now that argument is flawed on a number of grounds but I think I'll
> take the easy option. Where is the link of the following pages:

Try the edit pages.

>> 1) Authors contributed acknowledging that they are licensing their
>> edits under the GFDL;
>> 2) The GFDL has an "at least five principal authors" requirement to
>> give credit on the page title;
>> 3) Wikipedia does not give credit on the page title;
>
> Strangely there is no requirement that the history and the title page
> not be the same thing.

There's no reason to assume that they are. The GFDL defines Title Page
as the text "near the most prominent appearance of the work's title,
preceding the beginning of the body of the text". The interpretation
that an arbitrarily titled link somewhere on the document (it used to
be called "Older versions") to a difficult to navigate changelog
exists to satisfy the author credit provisions of the GFDL (section
4.B, since you asked) is hardly more defensible than the
interpretation that credit is given to the Wikipedia community ("From
Wikipedia"), or that no credit is given. You're in woolly territory to
begin with, which again re-affirms what I've been saying: we can
identify, through past practices, community-created terms of re-use,
the way that Wikipedia itself implements the GFDL, etc., a reasonable
baseline. Providing credit by linking to the page is a reasonable
baseline. And again, nowhere does a significantly greater expectation
for credit reasonably arise.

>>It's also evident because a GFDL document can be
>> created without a page history while still giving author credit.
>
> However it cannot be modified without creating a history and that
> history is required to include "new authors" among other things.

Irrelevant.

>>I am saying that we have established,
>> through historical practice, policy and debate, that crediting
>> re-users via link or URL is a minimally acceptable baseline.
>
> False. Look up history merging sometime.

Re-parse "minimally acceptable baseline".

Re: Licensing transition: opposing points of view [ In reply to ]
On Fri, Mar 20, 2009 at 9:07 PM, Erik Moeller <erik@wikimedia.org> wrote:

> The change tracking history section has nothing to do with
> attribution, as I've noted before.

However, you're quite inconsistent on that point. As one example among
many, you said earlier "Indeed, the only way in which contributors are
credited in Wikipedia is through a history of changes."

What is and isn't acceptable is defined through more than the license.

Like polling? 1 out of 5 Wikipedians polled expressed that they expect a
full list of authors to be listed in an offline copy.

"Attribution by link" is acceptable to most Wikipedians, but not to all.

> 4) The CC-BY-SA license grants the author the option to not supply a
> name for purposes of attribution. The CC-BY-SA license grants the
> author the option to supply a URL.

Are you claiming that Wikipedians have supplied such a URL? What is the URL
they have supplied? Must all reusers supply this URL, or is it optional for
them to do so?
Re: Licensing transition: opposing points of view [ In reply to ]
Дана Friday 20 March 2009 23:11:17 Michael Snow написа:
> Nikola Smolenski wrote:
> > Дана Friday 20 March 2009 06:59:35 Michael Snow написа:
> >>
> >> Just because one method is reasonable does not mean that all others are
> >> unreasonable.
> >
> > Has anyone said that?
>
> Not necessarily in so many words. But for proponents of the
> "all-authors" approach to attribution, an inherent part of the subtext

I am not a proponent of an all-authors approach to attribution, and I do not
know anyone who is. As I have said multiple times, I believe that it is
possible through software means to determine a list of key authors (all
authors whose contributions are copyrightable) with sufficient accuracy, and
that such a list would be reasonable from the point of view of authors, and
also short enough that it would be reasonable from the point of view of
reusers, and should be recommended to reusers.

> By comparison, Erik only said that people had over-attributed
> historically. He didn't say it was unreasonable of them to
> over-attribute, nor do I think that should be implied in what he said.

When you are over-something, it means that you are doing more of it than you
should. Usually it is not reasonable to behave like that.

Re: Licensing transition: opposing points of view [ In reply to ]
Дана Saturday 21 March 2009 01:52:06 Erik Moeller написа:
> 2009/3/20 Nikola Smolenski <smolensk@eunet.yu>:
> >> The fact that they may or may not be logged in is completely
> >> irrelevant if the terms and conditions clarify that their username has
> >> nothing to do with the option of supplying an Original Author name as
> >
> > But the terms and conditions do not clarify that, anywhere.
>
> So let's step back for a second. There is a claim that the legal code
> of CC-BY-SA cannot be reconciled with the notion of attributing via
> URL-linkback only. Do you agree that this claim is false? If the claim

Of course it is false. CC-BY-SA can be reconciled with attributing by URL only
(or even with not attributing at all), however in our practice it isn't.

> for a website under which authors contribute under such a model. If it
> is possible, then the final question is whether the current proposed
> terms for the edit page satisfy those conditions. I contend that they
> do, because they are sufficiently clear about the intended
> consequences (we don't need to spell out in detail how the terms and

I read them, and I know I still expected that in print my name would be there
somewhere.

Re: Licensing transition: opposing points of view [ In reply to ]
2009/3/21 Erik Moeller <erik@wikimedia.org>:
> 2009/3/20 geni <geniice@gmail.com>:
>> Now that argument is flawed on a number of grounds but I think I'll
>> take the easy option. Where is the link of the following pages:
>
> Try the edit pages.

Doesn't help you. Even those that do mention their equiv of
wikipedia:copyrights don't mention it in a context where it could be a
be considered a TOS and not all do. Then of course we have commons
who's Commons:Licensing doesn't help you at all.

Seriously Erik it bad enough that you are not paying attention but
suggesting I wouldn't check your claim is somewhat insulting.

> There's no reason to assume that they are.

Actually there is see. Remember every wikipedian who has edited a page
has released a modified version of a GFDL document. I hope you are not
accusing them of violating copyright on a massive page

>The GFDL defines Title Page
> as the text "near the most prominent appearance of the work's title,
> preceding the beginning of the body of the text". The interpretation
> that an arbitrarily titled link somewhere on the document (it used to
> be called "Older versions") to a difficult to navigate changelog
> exists to satisfy the author credit provisions of the GFDL (section
> 4.B, since you asked) is hardly more defensible than the
> interpretation that credit is given to the Wikipedia community ("From
> Wikipedia"), or that no credit is given.

Given that neither of those would be legal under the GFDL I don't
think you are helping your case.

>You're in woolly territory to
> begin with, which again re-affirms what I've been saying: we can
> identify, through past practices, community-created terms of re-use,
> the way that Wikipedia itself implements the GFDL, etc., a reasonable
> baseline. Providing credit by linking to the page is a reasonable
> baseline. And again, nowhere does a significantly greater expectation
> for credit reasonably arise.

The book version of the German wikipedia? The import export functions?

>>>It's also evident because a GFDL document can be
>>> created without a page history while still giving author credit.
>>
>> However it cannot be modified without creating a history and that
>> history is required to include "new authors" among other things.
>
> Irrelevant.

Given that only the terms of the GFDL will allow wikipedia to switch
to CC-BY-SA declaring said terms to be Irrelevant is at best foolish.

>>>I am saying that we have established,
>>> through historical practice, policy and debate, that crediting
>>> re-users via link or URL is a minimally acceptable baseline.
>>
>> False. Look up history merging sometime.
>
> Re-parse "minimally acceptable baseline".

Seeing how we react to cut and paste moves I would suggest your
minimally acceptable baseline isn't.

--
geni

Re: Licensing transition: opposing points of view [ In reply to ]
On Sat, Mar 21, 2009 at 8:42 AM, geni <geniice@gmail.com> wrote:

> 2009/3/21 Erik Moeller <erik@wikimedia.org>:
> > There's no reason to assume that they are.
>
> Actually there is see. Remember every wikipedian who has edited a page
> has released a modified version of a GFDL document. I hope you are not
> accusing them of violating copyright on a massive page

That's one way to look at it. A more sane way would be that wikipedians
have collaborated on a number of documents which they agree to release to
third parties under the GFDL.

>The GFDL defines Title Page
> > as the text "near the most prominent appearance of the work's title,
> > preceding the beginning of the body of the text". The interpretation
> > that an arbitrarily titled link somewhere on the document (it used to
> > be called "Older versions") to a difficult to navigate changelog
> > exists to satisfy the author credit provisions of the GFDL (section
> > 4.B, since you asked) is hardly more defensible than the
> > interpretation that credit is given to the Wikipedia community ("From
> > Wikipedia"), or that no credit is given.
>
> Given that neither of those would be legal under the GFDL I don't
> think you are helping your case.

Yeah, I'm pretty sure I was blasted for saying this. However, I don't see
how you can honestly claim otherwise. Wikipedia doesn't follow the GFDL,
and never has. On the other hand, that doesn't excuse third parties from
not following the GFDL.

Given that only the terms of the GFDL will allow wikipedia to switch
> to CC-BY-SA declaring said terms to be Irrelevant is at best foolish.

At least it's honest.
Re: Licensing transition: opposing points of view [ In reply to ]
I've been meaning to reply in this thread to what Jussi said. (Sorry to not reply inline; I'm on my Blackberry.)

Jussi said he's only seen comments on the licensing issue from the staff, and not from the board. That may be true on this list, and it may be true for the specific piece of the conversation that interests him; I'm not sure.

But I do want to point out two things.

1) At its January meeting, the board developed and unanimously voted to approve, a statement in favour of migration. I think it was included in my January report that was published here on foundation-l a few weeks ago. If I'm wrong and the full statement's not in in that report, let me know and I'll send it to this list. (Or Domas will, or another board member will.)

2) Also at the January board meeting, the board made an explicit request to staff and board members, to publicly speak their minds on this issue. Some people probably would do that anyway, but the board wanted to explicitly request it in this case. Why? Because the license migration issue is pretty complex, and not everyone understands it well.
Basically, people fall into three camps. 1., Those who are already knowledgeable, and have developed a position. 2., Those who aren't yet knowledgeable, but plan to read up in advance of the vote, in order to develop a position. And 3., those who don't plan to read up, and would rather trust others (board, staff, other volunteers) to do the research on their behalf, and to advise them. The board is encouraging knowledgeable staff and board members to express their opinions, as a service for those latter two groups.

That is why you're hearing a lot from Erik and Mike in the license migration threads. Because they're knowledgeable about the issue, and the board has asked them to share what they think :-)

Thanks,
Sue