Mailing List Archive

Request for Help: Spanish Betawiki Localization
Hello:

During the last weeks i have been the principal translator of Spanish Betawiki Localization.

http://translatewiki.net/wiki/Portal:Es

But now, i request someone help me to complete the translations of Mediawiki extensions (58% translated).

http://translatewiki.net/wiki/Special:LanguageStats/es

If minor languages have completed the localization,

http://translatewiki.net/wiki/Translating:Group_statistics

why a major natural language as Spanish , cannot complete them, above all it has registered 27 translators?

C.m.l.

Re: Request for Help: Spanish Betawiki Localization [ In reply to ]
I'm not sure what you're talking about. The main MediaWiki messages
are 99.9% translated. Yes, there are many untranslated messages used
for certain extensions, but there are thousands and thousands of
messages there.

skype: node.ue

Re: Request for Help: Spanish Betawiki Localization [ In reply to ]
Hoi,
I am afraid you do not appreciate the importance of localisation. Yes, there
are thousands of messages and it is possible to have them all translated.
Tagalog is proof that a full localisation is possible. It was done in a
relatively short period of time and I am convinced that the Tagalog
Wikipedia will benefit as a consequence.

When "Crazy Lover" asks people to help with the localisation of Spanish, I
sympathise with his request. It is important that people help. I do not
understand the lack of awareness of why localisation is important. I truly
hope that many people will respond to CML's request because it will add an
important part to the Spanish language projects; the ability for people who
do not speak English to understand what is being asked of them in the User
Interface. The UI does not only consist of the core messages.
Thanks,
Gerard

Re: Request for Help: Spanish Betawiki Localization [ In reply to ]
On Wed, Feb 11, 2009 at 1:47 PM, Gerard Meijssen
<gerard.meijssen@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hoi,
> I am afraid you do not appreciate the importance of localisation. Yes, there
> are thousands of messages and it is possible to have them all translated.
> Tagalog is proof that a full localisation is possible. It was done in a
> relatively short period of time and I am convinced that the Tagalog
> Wikipedia will benefit as a consequence.
>
> When "Crazy Lover" asks people to help with the localisation of Spanish, I
> sympathise with his request. It is important that people help. I do not
> understand the lack of awareness of why localisation is important. I truly
> hope that many people will respond to CML's request because it will add an
> important part to the Spanish language projects; the ability for people who
> do not speak English to understand what is being asked of them in the User
> Interface. The UI does not only consist of the core messages.
> Thanks,
> Gerard

The point is that many of the missing ones are not even used on
wikimedia, so their priority sinks for the userbase.
Urging a translation saying it will benefit wikipedia doesn't seem to
follow logically (blahtex? are we replacing the latex engine? asksql?
, etc.)

Currently
100% of core messages, 99.96 of mediawiki messages and 88.4% of
anything wikimedia uses is already translated that's a fair share and
a huge number of translations, and it's certainly much much more than
58%. The rest is extensions that will never be used on wikimedia or
aren't yet available.

So I understand importance of translation, but I don't see the how
misrepresenting the numbers does any good.

Re: Request for Help: Spanish Betawiki Localization [ In reply to ]
On Wed, Feb 11, 2009 at 1:47 PM, Gerard Meijssen
<gerard.meijssen@gmail.com> wrote:
> it will add an
> important part to the Spanish language projects; the ability for people who
> do not speak English to understand what is being asked of them in the User
> Interface. The UI does not only consist of the core messages.
> Thanks,
> Gerard

The user interface is 88.4% completed, core is 100%.

Re: Request for Help: Spanish Betawiki Localization [ In reply to ]
Hoi,
Given that Spanish is one of the bigger languages in the world

Re: Request for Help: Spanish Betawiki Localization [ In reply to ]
On Wed, Feb 11, 2009 at 10:07 PM, Pedro Sanchez <pdsanchez@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Wed, Feb 11, 2009 at 1:47 PM, Gerard Meijssen
> <gerard.meijssen@gmail.com> wrote:
> > Hoi,
> > I am afraid you do not appreciate the importance of localisation. Yes,
> there
> > are thousands of messages and it is possible to have them all translated.
> > Tagalog is proof that a full localisation is possible. It was done in a
> > relatively short period of time and I am convinced that the Tagalog
> > Wikipedia will benefit as a consequence.
> >
> > When "Crazy Lover" asks people to help with the localisation of Spanish,
> > sympathise with his request. It is important that people help. I do not
> > understand the lack of awareness of why localisation is important. I
> truly
> > hope that many people will respond to CML's request because it will add
> an
> > important part to the Spanish language projects; the ability for people
> who
> > do not speak English to understand what is being asked of them in the
> User
> > Interface. The UI does not only consist of the core messages.
> > Thanks,
> > Gerard
> >

> The point is that many of the missing ones are not even used on
> wikimedia, so their priority sinks for the userbase.
> Urging a translation saying it will benefit wikipedia doesn't seem to
> follow logically (blahtex? are we replacing the latex engine? asksql?
> , etc.)

Mediawiki extensions are not written for Wikimedia only. Non-Wikimedia wikis
will benefit greatly from the localistaion of these extensions.

--User:Meno25

Re: Request for Help: Spanish Betawiki Localization [ In reply to ]
Of course they will, but I feel that Gerard's message was a bit
misleading. What percentage of the untranslated messages would
actually help the usability of the Spanish Wikipedia, vs. non-WM
projects?

skype: node.ue

Re: Request for Help: Spanish Betawiki Localization [ In reply to ]
On Wed, Feb 11, 2009 at 5:42 PM, Mark Williamson <node.ue@gmail.com> wrote:
> Of course they will, but I feel that Gerard's message was a bit
> misleading. What percentage of the untranslated messages would
> actually help the usability of the Spanish Wikipedia, vs. non-WM
> projects?
>
> skype: node.ue

Yes, that's why I called on the numbers,since they're mixing things

"and I am convinced that the Tagalog Wikipedia will benefit as a consequence."

So I point that 88% of what spanish wikimedia use is already done,then
I'm replied that I shouldn't think on wikimedia only. Mixed messages.

And I repeat,I understand localization importance,yet find distasteful
calling urgency (as if it were emergency) work for translating
esoteric extensions that are seldom used. Yes they're important but
definitely NOT an urgency

And the numbers were handled misleadingly,as if spanish wikipedia
isn't benefitting like tagalog does since "only 58%" is translated.

Re: Request for Help: Spanish Betawiki Localization [ In reply to ]
I agree... however, wouldn't it be nice if we finished those 12%? Of
course, they can't be often-used messages, I'm sure.

skype: node.ue

Re: Request for Help: Spanish Betawiki Localization [ In reply to ]
Hoi,
Your answer is not helpful. FIrst of all, 100% of the core messages and 100%
of the messages of extensions used by the WMF are needed to give people who
do not speak English the service that they deserve. Spanish is doing better
at the moment then it has done before. Second of all it is rather parochial
to think that translatewiki,net (aka Betawiki) is only about the WMF
projects. It is great that MediaWiki is used elsewhere as well. Also many of
those "other" extensions are waiting to be assessed before they can be used
in WMF projects.

If anything, it is great when active people support their language. When it
comes to providing service to our users 100% is good enough.
Thanks,
GerardM

Re: Request for Help: Spanish Betawiki Localization [ In reply to ]
Right, but this is Foundation-l, not MediaWiki-l. It's great that
other people besides WMF use MediaWiki, but those aren't projects I
particularly care about. I'm sure you won't appreciate that sentiment,
but I know I'm not alone in that.

skype: node.ue

Re: Request for Help: Spanish Betawiki Localization [ In reply to ]
Hoi.
Let me be specific. The Spanish localisation is not complete for the
localisation for the extensions that are used by the Wikimedia Foundation in
its projects. Consequently the users of Wikimedia Foundation projects suffer
from a sub optimal user experience. Crazy Lover is asking for people to help
with the localisation.

All this has nothing to do with all the other extensions that people and
organisations use outide of the WMF. When I state that what you do is not
helpful, it is exactly because your wrong headed appreciation of the
situation prevents people from collaborating with the localisation of
MediaWiki in the first place.

MediaWiki is a Wikimedia Foundation project. When you equate this as meaning
that MediaWiki is only for Wikimedia Foundation projects, spout this opinion
on the Wikipedia-l or other places where such narrow interpretation is
perhaps welcome. Or are you of the opinion that MediaWiki is not a full
project in its own right??

Re: Request for Help: Spanish Betawiki Localization [ In reply to ]
You are putting words in my mouth.

Mark