Mailing List Archive

Re: The reality of printing a poster [ In reply to ]
Hoi,
It is a better mouse trap then the GFDL.
Thanks,
GerardM

Re: The reality of printing a poster [ In reply to ]
On Tue, Feb 3, 2009 at 11:09 PM, Bence Damokos <bdamokos@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Tue, Feb 3, 2009 at 10:48 PM, Sam Johnston <samj@samj.net> wrote:

>> cheap
>> back is
>> it is
>> that
>> >
>> > Assuming posters are not for large scale public display sending the
>> > credits on a separate bit of paper would probably meets the
>> > requirements.
>>
>> I'm not aware of any print-on-demand providers who facilitate the
>> sending of arbitrary documentation with prints so my ability to reuse
>> is still unnecessarily restricted.
>>
>> Sam

According to this [1], the Wikiposter service on the French Wikipedia
provides attribution by printing a separate page with the license details.

[1]
http://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Projet:Impression/en#Frequently_asked_questions

Best regards,
Bence Damokos
Re: The reality of printing a poster [ In reply to ]
I don't really think that would be enough.. I am not sure but the
poster and the license need to stay together.. If the attribution is
on a paper with the poster the license and author can get lost...

Isn't it the same when a photo will be used in a newspaper but the
attribution will be send on a flyer with the newspaper...

2009/2/4, Bence Damokos <bdamokos@gmail.com>:
> On Tue, Feb 3, 2009 at 11:09 PM, Bence Damokos <bdamokos@gmail.com> wrote:

>>> cheap
>>> back is
>>> it is
>>> that

>>> I'm not aware of any print-on-demand providers who facilitate the
>>> sending of arbitrary documentation with prints so my ability to reuse
>>> is still unnecessarily restricted.
>>>
>>> Sam
>>

> According to this [1], the Wikiposter service on the French Wikipedia
> provides attribution by printing a separate page with the license details.

> [1]
> http://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Projet:Impression/en#Frequently_asked_questions
>
> Best regards,
> Bence Damokos

Leave nothing but footprints, take nothing but pictures

http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/User:SterkeBak

Re: The reality of printing a poster [ In reply to ]
On Wed, Feb 4, 2009 at 12:30 PM, Huib Laurens <sterkebak@gmail.com> wrote:
> I don't really think that would be enough.. I am not sure but the
> poster and the license need to stay together.. If the attribution is
> on a paper with the poster the license and author can get lost...

There is nothing that says that the license and author should not get
lost. The obligation to provide author, licensing and copyright
information exists when the work is distributed or published, not
necessarily the whole time that it is in existence.

--
André Engels, andreengels@gmail.com

Re: The reality of printing a poster [ In reply to ]
On Wed, Feb 4, 2009 at 7:34 AM, Andre Engels <andreengels@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Wed, Feb 4, 2009 at 12:30 PM, Huib Laurens <sterkebak@gmail.com> wrote:
> > I don't really think that would be enough.. I am not sure but the
> > poster and the license need to stay together.. If the attribution is
> > on a paper with the poster the license and author can get lost...
>
> There is nothing that says that the license and author should not get
> lost. The obligation to provide author, licensing and copyright
> information exists when the work is distributed or published, not
> necessarily the whole time that it is in existence.
>
> --
> André Engels, andreengels@gmail.com

Agreed. If the license and attribution are provided to the poster-
buyer, then we (as a content provider) and the printer (as a
content distributor) have done our parts. We have facilitated the
reuse of our content in accordance with the terms of the license.

Now, if the buyer goes and loses the license and authors the next
day, that's their problem. The only exception being a poster
intended for public display and/or the buyer wanting to redistribute
it themselves, where the license/attribution would need to stay
alongside it.

-Chad
Re: The reality of printing a poster [ In reply to ]
Andre Engels wrote:
> On Wed, Feb 4, 2009 at 12:30 PM, Huib Laurens <sterkebak@gmail.com> wrote:
>> I don't really think that would be enough.. I am not sure but the
>> poster and the license need to stay together.. If the attribution is
>> on a paper with the poster the license and author can get lost...
>
> There is nothing that says that the license and author should not get
> lost. The obligation to provide author, licensing and copyright
> information exists when the work is distributed or published, not
> necessarily the whole time that it is in existence.

My amateur legal opinion is that it's legally OK, but the question is
whether we want and can encourage further reuse by ensuring that the two
are permanently together. (For example, if source, author and licence
info could be printed on the back of the poster.)

Re: The reality of printing a poster [ In reply to ]
Even if the buyer loses the attribution information, I'd bet that, under the
first sale doctrine, they can resell the poster. (Just not copy and
redistribute.) Right?