Mailing List Archive

Wikimedia IdeaTorrent?
If you haven't seen it yet, Ubuntu is running an interesting
brainstorming software called IdeaTorrent to think collectively about
common problems and solutions:

http://brainstorm.ubuntu.com/

The software:

http://www.ideatorrent.org/

I wonder - would people consider it useful to set up something like
brainstorm.wikimedia.org using this software, or would it be too
duplicative of BugZilla and listservs? The benefit of IdeaTorrent is
that it's very straightforward for non-technical users to contribute
ideas and solutions. And, of course, it could be used for
non-technical problems as well.

--
Erik Möller
Deputy Director, Wikimedia Foundation

Re: Wikimedia IdeaTorrent? [ In reply to ]
Yes! Better tools are needed for finding good ideas and gauging consensus.
The worst thing is that it won't get used - the best thing is much better.

Re: Wikimedia IdeaTorrent? [ In reply to ]
On Wed, Jan 28, 2009 at 9:25 PM, Brian <Brian.Mingus@colorado.edu> wrote:
> Yes! Better tools are needed for finding good ideas and gauging consensus.
> The worst thing is that it won't get used - the best thing is much better.

I agree, too. It would be good to have SUL integrated there, as well
as to promote it at other Wikimedia projects.

Re: Wikimedia IdeaTorrent? [ In reply to ]
I think this would be awesome. I've used Ubuntu's Brainstorm and while it
isn't a perfect system, I think it does a really good job of letting the
community say what they really want to see. Some of that "not perfect" is
the fact that some idea's tend to get duplicate entries, and as any voting
system, it is susceptible to canvasing. Even still, It would be a great
tool.

-Jon
[[User:ShakataGaNai]]

Re: Wikimedia IdeaTorrent? [ In reply to ]
2009/1/28 Brian <Brian.Mingus@colorado.edu>:
> On Wed, Jan 28, 2009 at 1:22 PM, Erik Moeller <erik@wikimedia.org> wrote:

>> If you haven't seen it yet, Ubuntu is running an interesting
>> brainstorming software called IdeaTorrent to think collectively about
>> common problems and solutions:
>> http://brainstorm.ubuntu.com/
>> The software:
>> http://www.ideatorrent.org/

> Yes! Better tools are needed for finding good ideas and gauging consensus.
> The worst thing is that it won't get used - the best thing is much better.

Yep. Worth a spin.

I'd like to see something that gathered ideas from *readers* as well.

- d.

Re: Wikimedia IdeaTorrent? [ In reply to ]
Erik Moeller wrote:
> If you haven't seen it yet, Ubuntu is running an interesting
> brainstorming software called IdeaTorrent to think collectively about
> common problems and solutions:
>
> http://brainstorm.ubuntu.com/
>
> The software:
>
> http://www.ideatorrent.org/
>
> I wonder - would people consider it useful to set up something like
> brainstorm.wikimedia.org using this software, or would it be too
> duplicative of BugZilla and listservs? The benefit of IdeaTorrent is
> that it's very straightforward for non-technical users to contribute
> ideas and solutions. And, of course, it could be used for
> non-technical problems as well.

Seems like bugzilla, but with a separated "solutions" section, where
proposed solutions can get votes.
I don't think it should be added, but moving bugzilla to brainstorm
could be considered.

Re: Wikimedia IdeaTorrent? [ In reply to ]
ideas transcend bugzilla. Bugzilla is a place to report bugs. Sure you can
file feature requests there, but its not a friendly place for the
cultivation and discussion of new ideas on any conceivable topic relating to
the WMF.

Re: Wikimedia IdeaTorrent? [ In reply to ]
Yes. For fun, which brainstorming needs. Ever since Jamesday stopped
spiking the punch in the virtual server room, the bugzilla quote list
+ mascot hasn't sufficed.

SJ

Re: Wikimedia IdeaTorrent? [ In reply to ]
Platonides wrote:
> Erik Moeller wrote:
>
>> If you haven't seen it yet, Ubuntu is running an interesting
>> brainstorming software called IdeaTorrent to think collectively about
>> common problems and solutions:
>>
>> http://brainstorm.ubuntu.com/
>>
>> The software:
>>
>> http://www.ideatorrent.org/
>>
>> I wonder - would people consider it useful to set up something like
>> brainstorm.wikimedia.org using this software, or would it be too
>> duplicative of BugZilla and listservs? The benefit of IdeaTorrent is
>> that it's very straightforward for non-technical users to contribute
>> ideas and solutions. And, of course, it could be used for
>> non-technical problems as well.
>>
> Seems like bugzilla, but with a separated "solutions" section, where
> proposed solutions can get votes.
> I don't think it should be added, but moving bugzilla to brainstorm
> could be considered.

It's worth the experiment. Bugzilla seems more related to technical
issues and questions, in which I presume it does a good job. We need
better processes to arrive at solutions to social and governance problems.

Ec

Re: Wikimedia IdeaTorrent? [ In reply to ]
On Wed, Jan 28, 2009 at 5:30 PM, Platonides <Platonides@gmail.com> wrote:
> I don't think it should be added, but moving bugzilla to brainstorm
> could be considered.

IdeaStorm is not acceptable as a replacement for Bugzilla. Ubuntu
uses a separate bug tracker too, mind. Good bug trackers have many
essential features that IdeaStorm lacks, like various resolution
statuses, powerful search (look at Bugzilla's advanced search . . .),
etc.

Re: Wikimedia IdeaTorrent? [ In reply to ]
2009/1/29 Erik Moeller <erik@wikimedia.org>:
> If you haven't seen it yet, Ubuntu is running an interesting
> brainstorming software called IdeaTorrent to think collectively about
> common problems and solutions:
>
> http://brainstorm.ubuntu.com/
>
> The software:
>
> http://www.ideatorrent.org/
>
> I wonder - would people consider it useful to set up something like
> brainstorm.wikimedia.org using this software, or would it be too
> duplicative of BugZilla and listservs? The benefit of IdeaTorrent is
> that it's very straightforward for non-technical users to contribute
> ideas and solutions. And, of course, it could be used for
> non-technical problems as well.

Sounds wonderful. I would strongly support it. I did not yet notice an
accepted procedure for MW feature requests or roadmap type stuff.

Is there a way to separate requests e.g. for different projects?
Wikimedia Commons, Wikibooks, Wikinews, Wikisource, Wikipedia. Plus a
general/default section for stuff that benefits multiple/all projects.

/me has a look at the demo...
when you submit a request, you can choose a category... and you can
view by category as well, cool. Well that is my suggestion for that.
:)

cheers
Brianna

http://modernthings.org/

Re: Wikimedia IdeaTorrent? [ In reply to ]
Brianna Laugher wrote:
> Is there a way to separate requests e.g. for different projects?
> Wikimedia Commons, Wikibooks, Wikinews, Wikisource, Wikipedia. Plus a
> general/default section for stuff that benefits multiple/all projects.

I considered that possibility too. If one such site catches on similar
efforts for the other projects should follow soon after.

Wondering, does the software allow those who have voted to change their
minds?

Ec

Re: Wikimedia IdeaTorrent? [ In reply to ]
Hi!

I think some section of http://mediawiki.org may be designated for this project.

Eugene.

Re: Wikimedia IdeaTorrent? [ In reply to ]
Thanks for the encouragement,

I would be willing to do some coding for this on my free time.
My philosophy is evolutionary development.

I could at least do a code review and design on how it would fit.

Right now I am using the google docs to host polls, it is very good.

I think the basic function would be some form of poll where
people would edit a page and sign it with a template.
various templates could be used, you would just need a bean counter
parser to interpret it.

security is another issue, but the entire counting, limitation and
delegation could be implemented as an ever more complex bean counter
process. Basically it would be a write once page.

Changing their minds would just be voting again, and the bean counter
would come up with a different sum.

mike

Re: Wikimedia IdeaTorrent? [ In reply to ]
On Thu, Jan 29, 2009 at 8:27 AM, Ray Saintonge <saintonge@telus.net> wrote:
> Brianna Laugher wrote:
> Wondering, does the software allow those who have voted to change their
> minds?

Ok, I see that I misunderstood the post, it was not directed at me,
but here is my attempt to answer this question anyway.

Right now I am using the google docs form feature to host polls, it is
very good, and if people want to change their vote, they just vote
again. The results are stored on a spreadsheet.

This could be emulated with a wiki.

I think the basic function would be some form of poll where
people would edit a page and sign it with a template.
various templates could be used, you would just need a bean
counter-parser to interpret it.

security is another issue, but the entire counting, limitation and
delegation could be implemented as an ever more complex bean counter
process. Basically it would be a talk page with special restrictions.

Changing their minds would just be voting again, and the bean counter
process would come up with a different sum.

I hope this idea is understandable and simple.