Mailing List Archive

Re: Commons and The Year of the Picture [ In reply to ]
> Yaroslav M. Blanter wrote:
>
>> I am sorry to say, now I see quite an opposite attitude: "You
>> have put a picture under a free licence, now do not complain".
>> This is fine of course but does not encourage the authors very
>> much.
>
> I think this is one of the best advantages of the French image
> printing initiative (Wikiposter), that it makes it absolutely
> clear to everybody that images uploaded to Wikipedia (to the
> Wikimedia Commons) are allowed for commercial reuse. There is no
> better way to explain this, than to print and sell the images.
> This is indeed an innovation in education. My congratulations!

Well, I definitely have to agree with this.

Cheers
Yaroslav

Re: Commons and The Year of the Picture [ In reply to ]
Sam Johnston wrote:
> Gerard Meijssen wrote:
>
>> If you are of the opinion that things can be done differently, please
>> explain how. A printer makes money, that is how he earns his crust. So how
>> would non-profit printing work. Does it exist ? You are also under the
>> impression that "we" are meeting our targets.. What do you know of the
>> financial position of the French chapter and what do you know of its
>> ambitions ?
>>
> However you cut it this is advertising pure and simple. Yes it's buried
> behind a convenience function and I have no doubt the French chapter are
> doing all manner of interesting and constructive things, but who's to decide
> what is and what is not appropriate? If it's such a good idea, why is it not
> deployed centrally (with appropriate policies) so all chapters can take
> advantage of it (safely)?

Obviously, it's up to the French chapter to make it's own decisions in
accordance with French law. ExpectinSpecial:Booksourceswg some kind of
central decision about this kind of thing is a good way to make sure
that nothing ever gets done. If they make a little money while they're
at it so much the better; there is no need for an ultra-ideological
stance about advertising in this.
> Anyway how WMF interacts with its chapters is not the conversation I joined
> the list to contribute to so I'll leave it to you guys to nut it out between
> yourselves. Just bear in mind that the reputation of the organisation as a
> whole is easily tarnished by the wrong well-intended initiative and the
> proceeds are a drop in the ocean compared to what is raised by donation and
> that a fraction of what is theoretically possible.
Just how much control do you expect from the Central Committee? Sure,
it's a given that some will-intentioned initiatives will go dreadfully
awry. Bad things have happened in the past, and bad things will happen
in the future; None of it will be prevented by imposing strict central
control. Wikimedia is a resilient organisation, and it didn't get that
way through paranoid musings about a tarnished reputation. It's not
that fragile.

Ec

Re: Commons and The Year of the Picture [ In reply to ]
On Wed, Jan 28, 2009 at 1:59 AM, Ray Saintonge <saintonge@telus.net> wrote:

> Just how much control do you expect from the Central Committee? Sure,
> it's a given that some will-intentioned initiatives will go dreadfully
> awry. Bad things have happened in the past, and bad things will happen
> in the future; None of it will be prevented by imposing strict central
> control. Wikimedia is a resilient organisation, and it didn't get that
> way through paranoid musings about a tarnished reputation. It's not
> that fragile.

My primary concern is that all the potential ramifications of such actions
be properly considered - the income is irrelevant in the context of the WMF
budget and yet the risk could be extreme. For example, deriving revenue
directly from the content could cause problems for fair use[1], let alone
the prospect of users uploading copyrighted or otherwise restricted (eg
trademarked) content.

Another liability to consider relates to problems with delivery. Normally
such convenience services include strong disclaimers of warranty and
liability but checking one of my contributions[2] shows offers to 'Choisissez
un imprimeur *accrédité*'. By referring to these vendors as 'accredited' we
are stating that they are officially approved and raising many questions
about the accreditation process itself.

Don't get me wrong - I'm all for this type of innovation and where better
for it to come from than the chapters, but we also need to exercise caution.

Sam

1. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fair_use#Fair_use_under_United_States_laws
2. http://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fichier:CloudComputingStackLarge.svg
3. http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/accredited
Re: Commons and The Year of the Picture [ In reply to ]
Sam Johnston wrote:
> On Wed, Jan 28, 2009 at 1:59 AM, Ray Saintonge wrote:
>
>> Just how much control do you expect from the Central Committee? Sure,
>> it's a given that some will-intentioned initiatives will go dreadfully
>> awry. Bad things have happened in the past, and bad things will happen
>> in the future; None of it will be prevented by imposing strict central
>> control. Wikimedia is a resilient organisation, and it didn't get that
>> way through paranoid musings about a tarnished reputation. It's not
>> that fragile.
>>
> My primary concern is that all the potential ramifications of such actions
> be properly considered - the income is irrelevant in the context of the WMF
> budget and yet the risk could be extreme. For example, deriving revenue
> directly from the content could cause problems for fair use[1], let alone
> the prospect of users uploading copyrighted or otherwise restricted (eg
> trademarked) content.

Material in the public domain or under a fully free licence does not
require any kind of fair use consideration. The WMF already takes a
stricter position in fair use in its contents than I would ever consider
necessary, by insisting that fair use material must be able to remain so
when used by a downstream consumer.

An important element of WMF's risk management is to *not* have general
editorial participation in its contents. If it takes an official hand
in such things it endangers the safe harbors it has as an ISP. It must
respond to legal demands, but it cannot be faulted if it fails to notice
an irregularity, or if it fails to accept the word of an uninterested
third party that some content is a copyright violation. Of course, we
must use common sense about such things, even when failing to do that
would be technically legal.

> Another liability to consider relates to problems with delivery. Normally
> such convenience services include strong disclaimers of warranty and
> liability but checking one of my contributions[2] shows offers to 'Choisissez
> un imprimeur *accrédité*'. By referring to these vendors as 'accredited' we
> are stating that they are officially approved and raising many questions
> about the accreditation process itself.

I wouldn't take such a narrow reading of "accredité". French
Wikitionary, under "accrediter" shows "Rendre crédible
<http://fr.wiktionary.org/wiki/cr%C3%A9dible>, vraisemblable
<http://fr.wiktionary.org/wiki/vraisemblable>, donner cours
<http://fr.wiktionary.org/wiki/cours>". There's a lot of wiggle room
with that word, and if I encountered it in a legal context the first
thing I would ask is, "What do they mean by that?". In the absence of a
specific definition any of several reasonably applicable definitions can
be applied. If necessary it would be easy to amend the disclaimer.
"Suggéré" would be an even less stringent term.

Delivery problems are a matter of the contract between the printer and
the consumer, and should not normally be a legal concern for WMF. If
there is a reported history of bad service in multiple incidents we
should not be recommending that printer, but even if there is such a
history proving that kind of international complicity over the printing
of a single book would be well beyond the capacity of a small-claims court.

Ec

Re: Commons and The Year of the Picture [ In reply to ]
On Wed, Jan 28, 2009 at 9:55 AM, Ray Saintonge <saintonge@telus.net> wrote:

> Sam Johnston wrote:
>
> > My primary concern is that all the potential ramifications of such
> actions
> > be properly considered - the income is irrelevant in the context of the
> WMF
> > budget and yet the risk could be extreme. For example, deriving revenue
> > directly from the content could cause problems for fair use[1], let alone
> > the prospect of users uploading copyrighted or otherwise restricted (eg
> > trademarked) content.
> >
> Material in the public domain or under a fully free licence does not
> require any kind of fair use consideration.

I'm not talking about genuinely free material, I'm talking about protected
(copyrighted/trademarked) material being uploaded by others - for example a
periodic table of elements or medical charts which would normally be subject
to deletion (except that they are currently immediately available for
sale!).

Furthermore, while WMF *may* be safe from attack on the grounds that *it* is
both non-profit and at arms length from the transaction itself, things are
certainly less clear for the commercial printer who could well find
themselves in serious trouble. What contract(s) are in place to cover WMF &
its chapter(s) in the case that such a supplier (rightly?) seeks recourse
because we have made such material available to them?

The WMF already takes a
> stricter position in fair use in its contents than I would ever consider
> necessary, by insisting that fair use material must be able to remain so
> when used by a downstream consumer.

Albeit interesting, I'm unsure of the relevance.

> An important element of WMF's risk management is to *not* have general
> editorial participation in its contents. If it takes an official hand
> in such things it endangers the safe harbors it has as an ISP.

While also true, that is more pertinent in the Flagged Revisions debate (and
I have already raised it there[1]).

> It must
> respond to legal demands, but it cannot be faulted if it fails to notice
> an irregularity, or if it fails to accept the word of an uninterested
> third party that some content is a copyright violation. Of course, we
> must use common sense about such things, even when failing to do that
> would be technically legal.

Previously this may have been true, but with content going 'on sale' the
second it is uploaded I'm not so sure it still holds (assuming it ever did).

> I wouldn't take such a narrow reading of "accredité". French
> Wikitionary, under "accrediter" shows "Rendre crédible
> <http://fr.wiktionary.org/wiki/cr%C3%A9dible>, vraisemblable
> <http://fr.wiktionary.org/wiki/vraisemblable>, donner cours
> <http://fr.wiktionary.org/wiki/cours>". There's a lot of wiggle room
> with that word, and if I encountered it in a legal context the first
> thing I would ask is, "What do they mean by that?". In the absence of a
> specific definition any of several reasonably applicable definitions can
> be applied. If necessary it would be easy to amend the disclaimer.
> "Suggéré" would be an even less stringent term.

I just confirmed with my partner (who happens to be French) that 'accredité'
is definitely a formal term like accredited. The problem with undefined
terms is that it's another thing to argue about and you could find the
definition ending up being something completely different to what you had
intended (especially if the plaintiff has their say about it).

> Delivery problems are a matter of the contract between the printer and
> the consumer, and should not normally be a legal concern for WMF. If
> there is a reported history of bad service in multiple incidents we
> should not be recommending that printer, but even if there is such a
> history proving that kind of international complicity over the printing
> of a single book would be well beyond the capacity of a small-claims court.

See now here is a significant difference between booksources and this
initiative - BS if I understand well simply links our articles with the
books they refer to. The books already exist and the content for them is
sourced and vetted using existing processes and legal frameworks (author
guarantees etc.). Here, on the other hand, we are delivering the actual
content.

Fortunately these issues are easily fixed via forming contracts (even
clickthroughs) with the suppliers and the buyers. Questions about bias,
quality, etc. can also be resolved by maintaining a transparent database of
suppliers (including information about their contributions - average
donation per print for example), ideally with user feedback and using
techniques like random ordering, etc. This is arguably work that should be
done once and made available for everyone.

Sam

1.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia_talk:Flagged_protection#Beware_increased_liability_.28Publisher_vs_Distributor.29
Re: Commons and The Year of the Picture [ In reply to ]
2009/1/28 Sam Johnston <samj@samj.net>:

>> Material in the public domain or under a fully free licence does not
>> require any kind of fair use consideration.
>
> I'm not talking about genuinely free material, I'm talking about protected
> (copyrighted/trademarked) material being uploaded by others - for example a
> periodic table of elements or medical charts which would normally be subject
> to deletion (except that they are currently immediately available for
> sale!).

I'm a little confused - surely we would delete this stuff whether or
not there's a "buy a print now" clickthrough button? I can't see
anyone arguing to keep it because they want to run off a poster...

(and to a degree this is rendered moot by that helpful "lowest useful
resolution" requirement of the unfree material rules)

--
- Andrew Gray
andrew.gray@dunelm.org.uk

Re: Commons and The Year of the Picture [ In reply to ]
On Wed, Jan 28, 2009 at 1:21 PM, Andrew Gray <andrew.gray@dunelm.org.uk>wrote:

> 2009/1/28 Sam Johnston <samj@samj.net>:
>
> >> Material in the public domain or under a fully free licence does not
> >> require any kind of fair use consideration.
> >
> > I'm not talking about genuinely free material, I'm talking about
> protected
> > (copyrighted/trademarked) material being uploaded by others - for example
> > periodic table of elements or medical charts which would normally be
> subject
> > to deletion (except that they are currently immediately available for
> > sale!).
>
> I'm a little confused - surely we would delete this stuff whether or
> not there's a "buy a print now" clickthrough button? I can't see
> anyone arguing to keep it because they want to run off a poster...
>
> (and to a degree this is rendered moot by that helpful "lowest useful
> resolution" requirement of the unfree material rules)

1. Upload high-resolution copyrighted image littered with trademarks as
anonymous user.
2. Immediately order poster of said image.
3. File against WMF, its chapter(s) and the printer for good measure
claiming [RI|MP]AA sized damages for copyright and trademark infringement,
submitting said poster(s) and invoice(s) as evidence.
4. ???
5. Profit!

Note that these steps need not necessarily be completed by the same parties.
I'm not sure that the courts would have much leeway here (as they might were
the image not used commercially as was the case before this function was
launched).

Sam
Re: Commons and The Year of the Picture [ In reply to ]
2009/1/28 Sam Johnston <samj@samj.net>

> 1. Upload high-resolution copyrighted image littered with trademarks as
> anonymous user.
> 2. Immediately order poster of said image.
> 3. File against WMF, its chapter(s) and the printer for good measure
> claiming [RI|MP]AA sized damages for copyright and trademark infringement,
> submitting said poster(s) and invoice(s) as evidence.
> 4. ???
> 5. Profit!

But this is not that different from an anonymous user writing something
illegal on Wikipedia, make a screenshot of it, and then blaming Wikipedia
for having illegal material, is it?

Best wishes,

Lennart

--
Lennart Guldbrandsson, chair of Wikimedia Sverige and press contact for
Swedish Wikipedia // ordförande för Wikimedia Sverige och presskontakt för
Re: Commons and The Year of the Picture [ In reply to ]
Gerard,
I find your response (which fails to address the issues I have raised)
abrasive bordering on offensive. I also note that this will not be the first
time *today* that someone has requested that you tone it down. What is clear
though is that we have a snowflake's chance in hell of convincing you there
is a problem, so I'm going to add you to a large (and growing) list of
trolls and ignore your 'contributions' from now on.

Presumably WMF has lawyer(s) somewhere. What would be the process of getting
them to take a look at this with a view to having the French chapter put
into place the requisite disclaimers?

Sam

Lennart: Illegal content results in individuals being pursued, arrested and
charged and snarky articles being written by old media, not outrageous
(albeit largely unjustified) claims for damages (and leverage via commercial
third parties):

http://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/news/2008/01/statutory-damages-not-high-enough.ars

Re: Commons and The Year of the Picture [ In reply to ]
Hoi,
In your post the crucial bit is that a liability results as a consequence of
an invoice from either the Wikimedia Foundation or from a WMF chapter. This
will not happen because you buy a print from a printer. Our terms of service
explicitly state that we do our utmost to ensure that our products are free
to use but that we do not guarantee this.

As to convincing me that there is a problem, first make plain what the
problem is and when a little bit of analysis shows that you did not make it
plain, you indeed have no chance in hell of convincing me. If you know
anything at all of the WMF you would know the number of lawyers it employs.
He is a busy man and I am sure that he knows when to keep his powder dry.
Thanks,
GerardM

Re: Commons and The Year of the Picture [ In reply to ]
On Wed, Jan 28, 2009 at 9:14 PM, Gerard Meijssen
<gerard.meijssen@gmail.com>wrote:

> Hoi,
> In your post the crucial bit is that a liability results as a consequence
> of an invoice from either the Wikimedia Foundation or from a WMF chapter.

False.

Re: Commons and The Year of the Picture [ In reply to ]
Sam Johnston wrote:

>>> I'm not talking about genuinely free material, I'm talking about protected
>>>
>>> (copyrighted/trademarked) material being uploaded by others - for example a
>>>
>>> periodic table of elements or medical charts which would normally be subject
>>>
>>> to deletion (except that they are currently immediately available for
>>> sale!).
>>>
>> I'm a little confused - surely we would delete this stuff whether or
>> not there's a "buy a print now" clickthrough button? I can't see
>> anyone arguing to keep it because they want to run off a poster...
>>
>> (and to a degree this is rendered moot by that helpful "lowest useful
>> resolution" requirement of the unfree material rules)
>>
> 1. Upload high-resolution copyrighted image littered with trademarks as
> anonymous user.
> 2. Immediately order poster of said image.
> 3. File against WMF, its chapter(s) and the printer for good measure
> claiming [RI|MP]AA sized damages for copyright and trademark infringement,
> submitting said poster(s) and invoice(s) as evidence.
> 4. ???
> 5. Profit!
>
> Note that these steps need not necessarily be completed by the same parties.
> I'm not sure that the courts would have much leeway here (as they might were
> the image not used commercially as was the case before this function was
> launched).

I find your scenario too conspiratorial to be believable. A person who
attempted this kind of thing would be in contempt for trying to subvert
the legal process by making the court complicit in an extortion scheme.

The scheme, which depends on speculative profits from law suits, doesn't
make economic sense. A plaintiff would need to make a considerable
expense himself just to get the mater to court ... and that's without
even considering jurisdictional issues.

Ec

Re: Commons and The Year of the Picture [ In reply to ]
On Thu, Jan 29, 2009 at 3:08 AM, Ray Saintonge <saintonge@telus.net> wrote:

> > 1. Upload high-resolution copyrighted image littered with trademarks as
> > anonymous user.
> > 2. Immediately order poster of said image.
> > 3. File against WMF, its chapter(s) and the printer for good measure
> > claiming [RI|MP]AA sized damages for copyright and trademark
> infringement,
> > submitting said poster(s) and invoice(s) as evidence.
> > 4. ???
> > 5. Profit!
>
> I find your scenario too conspiratorial to be believable.

The first two steps are likely already done (actually step #2 is optional
anyway if the file sharing lawsuits are any metric). All we need now is for
a copyright/trademark holder (like Hanks Pediatric Eye Charts[1],
concurrently listed for sale[2] and as a copyright violation for speedy
deletion[3]) to get their nose out of joint and we're at #3 without any
conspiring whatsoever.

I'll put it another way for you: Can anyone guarantee that the French
chapter are not offering copyrighted and/or trademarked material for sale,
(indirectly) for profit?

It's amazing that people are carrying on about relicensing work that authors
intended to be free while turning a blind eye to commercial use of protected
IP.

Sam

1. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hanks_Paediatric_Eye_Charts
2. http://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fichier:Paed07_C7.jpg
3.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:Copyright_violations_for_speedy_deletion
Re: Commons and The Year of the Picture [ In reply to ]
While I advised that a similar matter be dropped earlier, this has some fundamental differences that I believe may have merit. Whereas the Missing Manual is uploaded by a known mutual agreement, these photos are not necessarily uploaded by mutual agreement.

In theory, we are supposed to have permission, but this is not always the case. Selling prints of these photos might violate copyrights. It would be irresponsible of us to to implement a poster sale without laying down guidelines to prevent boo boos. That being said, I would be surprised if Wikimedia France doesn't have a procedure and method set up, especially when EU copright laws are considered.

________________________________

Re: Commons and The Year of the Picture [ In reply to ]
What he is pointing out is that the chapter set up the whole process, thus making them culpable.

________________________________

Re: Commons and The Year of the Picture [ In reply to ]
Hello,

On Thu, Jan 29, 2009 at 4:49 AM, Geoffrey Plourde <geo.plrd@yahoo.com> wrote:
> What he is pointing out is that the chapter set up the whole process, thus making them culpable.

The French chapter didn't set up anything. The chapter merely agreed
to accept the donations that the printer chooses to make (and I say
"merely" because I'm not even sure they could refuse the donations
anyway) and to send a press release, as for any other relevant news
about Wikimedia projects.

--
Guillaume Paumier
[[m:User:guillom]]