money if needed) to obtain those domains (and ideally all wikipedia.xx
domains).

Marcus Buck

Re: Domains [ In reply to ]

domain: WIKIPEDIA.RU
type: CORPORATE
nserver: ns1.sedoparking.com.
nserver: ns2.sedoparking.com.
state: REGISTERED, DELEGATED
org: "MADVOL" Ltd.
phone: +7 095 1234567
e-mail: madvol@gmail.com
registrar: RUCENTER-REG-RIPN
created: 2004.12.15
paid-till: 2009.12.15
source: TC-RIPN

________________________________
From: Jon <scream@datascreamer.com>
Sent: Saturday, January 17, 2009 11:16:18 AM
Subject: Re: [Foundation-l] Domains

Re: Domains [ In reply to ]
2009/1/17 Marcus Buck <me@marcusbuck.org>:
> On November 4 2003 Jimbo Wales announced, that 200 EUR were donated to
> register European domain names
> (<http://lists.wikimedia.org/pipermail/wikipedia-l/2003-November/012981.html>).
> Did this ever happen? I wonder, cause as far as I know, many domains are
> still not registered by people affiliated with Wikimedia (.ru, .es,
> .co.uk, .it [.it at least redirects to Wikipedia]).
>
> If the 200 EUR were spent for domains: Which ones? If they were not: we
> should make up that and spend the earmarked donation (plus additional
> money if needed) to obtain those domains (and ideally all wikipedia.xx
> domains).

wikipedia.co.uk is apparently owned by Bomis, which seems a little
strange - wasn't everything transferred over to WMF?
wikimedia.co.uk is owned by James Forrester, a Wikimedian
wikipedia.org.uk is owned by Chris Brooking, a name I don't recognise
(and the domain appears to be dead)
wikimedia.org.uk is owned by James Forrester (and may be transferred
to Wikimedia UK - I believe we're waiting for a response for James on
that one)
The .net.uk names are apparently both registered, but have no site
attached to them and no name given.

I haven't checked other European domains, or the domains for other
projects, but it seems we aren't doing too badly in the UK.

Re: Domains [ In reply to ]
It appears that Madvol, Ltd is a scam company that registers domain names for extortion. They have been used to register 3251 names. The email is identified with 120something domains.