pledge I've seen so far: "Like a national park or a school, we don't
believe advertising should have a place in Wikipedia".

-Mark

Re: Jimmy Wales donation appeal [ In reply to ]
2008/12/23 Delirium <delirium@hackish.org>:
> Worriers about the perennial suggestions to put advertising somewhere on
> the site(s) might also like what appears to be the closest to a no-ads
> pledge I've seen so far: "Like a national park or a school, we don't
> believe advertising should have a place in Wikipedia".

With the amount of advertising in schools an unfortunate example I feel.

--
geni

Re: Jimmy Wales donation appeal [ In reply to ]
Looks like the new appeal is working well.

We seem to be on pace to have the best single day of this fund drive.

-Robert Rohde

Re: Jimmy Wales donation appeal [ In reply to ]
2008/12/23 Robert Rohde <rarohde@gmail.com>:
> Looks like the new appeal is working well.
>
> We seem to be on pace to have the best single day of this fund drive.
>
> -Robert Rohde

Not sure. Still getting complaints among others that donating doesn't
make the banner go away:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1017711&highlight=wikipedia

--
geni

Re: Jimmy Wales donation appeal [ In reply to ]
On Mon, Dec 22, 2008 at 9:12 PM, geni <geniice@gmail.com> wrote:

> 2008/12/23 Robert Rohde <rarohde@gmail.com>:
> > Looks like the new appeal is working well.
> >
> > We seem to be on pace to have the best single day of this fund drive.
> >
> > -Robert Rohde
> >

> Not sure. Still getting complaints among others that donating doesn't
> make the banner go away:
>
> http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1017711&highlight=wikipedia
>

> --
> geni

Seems to be more a debating of "Why do they always ask for donations"
along with a bit of good old wiki-scandal-accusations thrown in for good
measure.

-Chad
Re: Jimmy Wales donation appeal [ In reply to ]
On Mon, Dec 22, 2008 at 9:34 PM, Chad <innocentkiller@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Mon, Dec 22, 2008 at 9:12 PM, geni <geniice@gmail.com> wrote:
>> 2008/12/23 Robert Rohde <rarohde@gmail.com>:
>> > Looks like the new appeal is working well.
>> >
>> > We seem to be on pace to have the best single day of this fund drive.
>> >
>> > -Robert Rohde
>> >

>> Not sure. Still getting complaints among others that donating doesn't
>> make the banner go away:
>>
>> http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1017711&highlight=wikipedia
>>

>> --
>> geni
>>

> Seems to be more a debating of "Why do they always ask for donations"
> along with a bit of good old wiki-scandal-accusations thrown in for good
> measure.

Some pretty nice comments mixed in there. ;-) They also do a good job
explaining why we need money.

[.Jay: interesting to look at, might be nice to use some like their
comments in the future]

--
Casey Brown
Cbrown1023

---
this address will probably get lost.

Re: Jimmy Wales donation appeal [ In reply to ]
On Mon, Dec 22, 2008 at 9:40 PM, Casey Brown <cbrown1023.ml@gmail.com>wrote:

> On Mon, Dec 22, 2008 at 9:34 PM, Chad <innocentkiller@gmail.com> wrote:

> >> Not sure. Still getting complaints among others that donating doesn't
> >> make the banner go away:
> >>
> >> http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1017711&highlight=wikipedia
> >>

> >> --
> >> geni
> >>

> > Seems to be more a debating of "Why do they always ask for donations"
> > along with a bit of good old wiki-scandal-accusations thrown in for good
> > measure.
> >

> Some pretty nice comments mixed in there. ;-) They also do a good job
> explaining why we need money.
>
> [.Jay: interesting to look at, might be nice to use some like their
> comments in the future]
>
> --
> Casey Brown
> Cbrown1023
>
> ---
> this address will probably get lost.

Wait. Is donating supposed to make the banner go away?

Because it didn't.......
--
DCollins/ST47
Administrator, en.wikipedia.org
Re: Jimmy Wales donation appeal [ In reply to ]
On Mon, Dec 22, 2008 at 9:42 PM, Dan Collins <en.wp.st47@gmail.com> wrote:
> Wait. Is donating supposed to make the banner go away?
>
> Because it didn't.......

No, there's a gadget and a "collapse" (only makes it smaller) button for that.

--
Casey Brown
Cbrown1023

---
this address will probably get lost.

Re: Jimmy Wales donation appeal [ In reply to ]
On Mon, Dec 22, 2008 at 9:40 PM, Casey Brown <cbrown1023.ml@gmail.com> wrote:
> Some pretty nice comments mixed in there. ;-) They also do a good job
> explaining why we need money.
>
> [.Jay: interesting to look at, might be nice to use some like their
> comments in the future]

Some of it is just hopeless.

"Why can't they be self sufficient?" is the sort of question that
reflects a simple lack of consideration on the part of the asker. Had
they considered that question more carefully they would likely have
answered it themselves.

I.e. that asking for money *is* a form of self-sufficiency no less
than any other method other than "spending no money at all" (which has
obvious problems). So then the question is why ask rather than run ads
or let company X pay for the ability to control the content, etc...
and many counter arguments to these sorts of alternatives are obvious
even to people who know nothing of our internals.

Although my own experience is that many Americans are a bit baffled
that we don't run ads. They've often not even heard the multitude of
arguments against pervasive/invasive advertising. I don't believe
it's Wikimedia's place to argue against advertising, but there might
be an opportunity for some of our community members to work with
anti-consumerist groups like Adbusters to make a public argument as to
why our current lack of advertisements is laudable from their
perspective.

On Mon, Dec 22, 2008 at 9:42 PM, Dan Collins <en.wp.st47@gmail.com> wrote:
> Wait. Is donating supposed to make the banner go away?
> Because it didn't.......

Why would it? You can collapse it even without donating.

(Or log in and make it vanish entirely with the gadget— the reason for
it to not vanish entirely on collapse is that a lot of people will
collapse then decide they want to donate later…)

Though I suppose that might not be a bad feature, but on the other
hand… we're not trying to hold people for ransom. You shouldn't have
to pay to dispel the notice, requiring that wouldn't reflect
Wikimedia's or our communities values well.
Re: Jimmy Wales donation appeal [ In reply to ]
Up to now, I kinda liked the fundraiser. Although they are very shouty for
what I'm used to (I dislike the red button for instance and the somewhat
agressive tone), I think this last change in message could use a *little*
step back. Please use a slightly smaller font, an slightly less shouty text.
To me it really reads like " wow, now we're really desperate, PLEASE COME
READ THIS ** APPEAL". I would really appreciate it if this last banner would
be done a little less in a way that comes to me (justified or not) as
"typical American"...

As said, a slightly smaller font, and a grey color could do miracles here.

Lodewijk

Re: Jimmy Wales donation appeal [ In reply to ]
2008/12/23 effe iets anders <effeietsanders@gmail.com>:
> As said, a slightly smaller font, and a grey color could do miracles here.

Also, note that on IE7 in 1024x768, the banner (on Commons, at least)
looks terrible -- the last line ("Wikipedia Founder Jimmy Wales") goes
under the banner border, so that it is stricken through with that red
line (while there is a huge empty margin above the "Please Read:").
Tried Ctrl+F5, no change.

-- [[cs:User:Mormegil | Petr Kadlec]]

Re: Jimmy Wales donation appeal [ In reply to ]
2008/12/23 Petr Kadlec <petr.kadlec@gmail.com>

> 2008/12/23 effe iets anders <effeietsanders@gmail.com>:
> > As said, a slightly smaller font, and a grey color could do miracles
> here.
>
> Also, note that on IE7 in 1024x768, the banner (on Commons, at least)
> looks terrible -- the last line ("Wikipedia Founder Jimmy Wales") goes
> under the banner border, so that it is stricken through with that red
> line (while there is a huge empty margin above the "Please Read:").
> Tried Ctrl+F5, no change.
>
> -- [[cs:User:Mormegil | Petr Kadlec]]

The same problem happens in a proper browser (FF 3.1b2) on 1280x960. It does
not look good.

--
Jon Harald Søby
http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/User:Jon_Harald_S%C3%B8by
Re: Jimmy Wales donation appeal [ In reply to ]
Aside from concerns about loudness and size in the banner, the message
itself has been very successful:

http://wikimediafoundation.org/wiki/Special:FundraiserStatistics

-Robert Rohde

PS. At screen widths that are not all that small, it appears the
"collapse" button is forcing the "Please Read:" unit down a line so
the last line is hanging outside the box.

Re: Jimmy Wales donation appeal [ In reply to ]
On Tue, Dec 23, 2008 at 4:48 AM, Robert Rohde <rarohde@gmail.com> wrote:
> PS. At screen widths that are not all that small, it appears the
> "collapse" button is forcing the "Please Read:" unit down a line so
> the last line is hanging outside the box.

I should say, that's on IE. Firefox doesn't seem to have that
particular problem.

-Robert Rohde

Re: Jimmy Wales donation appeal [ In reply to ]
This is really impressive - such a rise in donations just because of a clear
and personal approach! Can't we make more like this, personal testimonials
and calls by Wikimedians but also non-Wikimedians sympathizing with us?
Ziko

2008/12/23 Robert Rohde <rarohde@gmail.com>

> Aside from concerns about loudness and size in the banner, the message
> itself has been very successful:
>
> http://wikimediafoundation.org/wiki/Special:FundraiserStatistics
>
> -Robert Rohde
>
> PS. At screen widths that are not all that small, it appears the
> "collapse" button is forcing the "Please Read:" unit down a line so
> the last line is hanging outside the box.
>

> On Mon, Dec 22, 2008 at 6:07 PM, Robert Rohde <rarohde@gmail.com> wrote:
> > Looks like the new appeal is working well.
> >
> > We seem to be on pace to have the best single day of this fund drive.
> >
> > -Robert Rohde
> >
> > On Mon, Dec 22, 2008 at 4:58 PM, Delirium <delirium@hackish.org> wrote:
> >> I assume most of you at least occasionally read one of the Wikimedia
> >> websites so probably saw this in a sitenotice, but I thought it was a
> >> very well done appeal, concisely highlighting exactly what we do, why
> >> it's different than what most people do, and why we're worth donating
> >> to, so worth pointing out:
> >> http://wikimediafoundation.org/wiki/Donate/Letter/en
> >>
> >> Worriers about the perennial suggestions to put advertising somewhere on
> >> the site(s) might also like what appears to be the closest to a no-ads
> >> pledge I've seen so far: "Like a national park or a school, we don't
> >> believe advertising should have a place in Wikipedia".
> >>
> >> -Mark

Ziko van Dijk
NL-Silvolde
Re: Jimmy Wales donation appeal [ In reply to ]
On Mon, Dec 22, 2008 at 9:56 PM, Gregory Maxwell <gmaxwell@gmail.com> wrote:

> Although my own experience is that many Americans are a bit baffled
> that we don't run ads. They've often not even heard the multitude of
> arguments against pervasive/invasive advertising. I don't believe
> it's Wikimedia's place to argue against advertising, but there might
> be an opportunity for some of our community members to work with
> anti-consumerist groups like Adbusters to make a public argument as to
> why our current lack of advertisements is laudable from their
> perspective.

It's an interesting debate once you've heard both sides of it. The story of
Gillette is a good one which shows the positive benefits of advertising. A
"Utopian Socialist" who opposed all advertising and "advocated that all
industry should be taken over by a single corporation owned by the public,
and that everyone in the US should live in a giant city called Metropolis
powered by Niagra Falls", Mr. Gillette went on to utilize both capitalism
and advertising in his safety razor company, and "estimated that his razor
saved mankind one-and-a-half billion dollars a year".

Of course, pervasive/invasive advertising is another thing altogether. As
are pervasive/invasive donation requests. Whether begging for money and not
giving the donors anything in return, or helping businesses inform the
public about their inventions for a fee, the banners should be small,
tasteful, and easy to "make go away".
Re: Jimmy Wales donation appeal [ In reply to ]
2008/12/23 effe iets anders <effeietsanders@gmail.com>:
> Up to now, I kinda liked the fundraiser. Although they are very shouty for
> what I'm used to (I dislike the red button for instance and the somewhat
> agressive tone), I think this last change in message could use a *little*
> step back. Please use a slightly smaller font, an slightly less shouty text.
> To me it really reads like " wow, now we're really desperate, PLEASE COME
> READ THIS ** APPEAL". I would really appreciate it if this last banner would
> be done a little less in a way that comes to me (justified or not) as
> "typical American"...

Within the last 24 hours, we've raised a total of $283,859. That's
more than 10 times as much as we made during a typical weekday in the
last few days of the fundraiser, and the single highest day on record
for community gifts. We don't know yet how steep the inevitable
drop-off will be, but it's obvious that the appeal is working beyond
everyone's expectations.

I think it's worth noting that this tenfold increase has been possible
without the use of additional pixel real estate, without scrolling
marquees, interstitials, or other serious interruptions of the
Wikipedia reader/editor experience. All it took were less than 60
characters of text on each page in a highly visible font, linking to a
personal appeal that makes our case in more detail.

We should ask ourselves why it is that based on the previous
sitenotices, 9 in 10 people who would be clearly willing to give to
us, did not do so. There seem to be at least three principal reasons
for that:

* The previous messages were below the visibility threshold for most
people: They considered them to be an unimportant part of the page
that should be ignored.

* The previous messages did not, clearly enough, make a case for
giving. They appealed to people who instantly "get" the non-profit
donation model, but not to those for whom Wikipedia is essentially the
same as any other website. The appeal directly addresses this
distinction, to the satisfaction of a great number of people.

* Because it's a personal appeal, rather than an impersonal donation
message, the letter seems more likely to resonate with people.

Regardless of how the numbers will hold up, it's clear that these are
important lessons to take away: The appeal, compared to some of our
other site-notices, was trivial to implement. It's more important to
communicate clearly and in a personal manner what we're trying to do
than to focus on widgets & designs.

Yes, more so than before, this appeal communicates a sense of urgency.
As it should: We still have a revenue gap of $1.75M to just cover our
expenses for the fiscal year (let alone increase our reserve). We're
in the middle of the worst financial crisis in our lifetime; companies
are failing or laying off staff around us. If people's reaction is "I
don't want Wikipedia to go away - I better donate", that's not a bad
thing.

Obviously we should try to work out any remaining display glitches.
And I'm sure over time we'll find a "happy medium" when it comes to
aspects like font size, color, etc. But more importantly, we should
try to translate this appeal into as many languages as possible, as
it's currently just running in the English language wikis.
--
Erik Möller
Deputy Director, Wikimedia Foundation

Re: Jimmy Wales donation appeal [ In reply to ]
On Tue, Dec 23, 2008 at 8:59 PM, Erik Moeller <erik@wikimedia.org> wrote:
> 2008/12/23 effe iets anders <effeietsanders@gmail.com>:
>> Up to now, I kinda liked the fundraiser. Although they are very shouty for
>> what I'm used to (I dislike the red button for instance and the somewhat
>> agressive tone), I think this last change in message could use a *little*
>> step back. Please use a slightly smaller font, an slightly less shouty text.
>> To me it really reads like " wow, now we're really desperate, PLEASE COME
>> READ THIS ** APPEAL". I would really appreciate it if this last banner would
>> be done a little less in a way that comes to me (justified or not) as
>> "typical American"...
>
> Within the last 24 hours, we've raised a total of $283,859. That's
> more than 10 times as much as we made during a typical weekday in the
> last few days of the fundraiser, and the single highest day on record
> for community gifts. We don't know yet how steep the inevitable
> drop-off will be, but it's obvious that the appeal is working beyond
> everyone's expectations.
>
> I think it's worth noting that this tenfold increase has been possible
> without the use of additional pixel real estate, without scrolling
> marquees, interstitials, or other serious interruptions of the
> Wikipedia reader/editor experience. All it took were less than 60
> characters of text on each page in a highly visible font, linking to a
> personal appeal that makes our case in more detail.
>
> We should ask ourselves why it is that based on the previous
> sitenotices, 9 in 10 people who would be clearly willing to give to
> us, did not do so. There seem to be at least three principal reasons
> for that:
>
> * The previous messages were below the visibility threshold for most
> people: They considered them to be an unimportant part of the page
> that should be ignored.
>
> * The previous messages did not, clearly enough, make a case for
> giving. They appealed to people who instantly "get" the non-profit
> donation model, but not to those for whom Wikipedia is essentially the
> same as any other website. The appeal directly addresses this
> distinction, to the satisfaction of a great number of people.
>
> * Because it's a personal appeal, rather than an impersonal donation
> message, the letter seems more likely to resonate with people.

This is really important. Even the fact there was a picture is
helpful. It humanizes the process, and makes it much less anonymous.

When this letter has reached its audience and we need a new donation
banner, I would strongly suggest another personal appeal of this type,
from a new person (maybe an educator).

Thanks,
Pharos

Re: Jimmy Wales donation appeal [ In reply to ]
It works and isn't terribly invasive, and realistically financial difficulty will find sympathy right now. I think it's brilliant.

Subj: Re: [Foundation-l] Jimmy Wales donation appeal
> [...]

than to focus on widgets & designs.

Yes, more so than before, this appeal communicates a sense of urgency.
As it should: We still have a revenue gap of $1.75M to just cover our
expenses for the fiscal year (let alone increase our reserve). We're
in the middle of the worst financial crisis in our lifetime; companies
are failing or laying off staff around us. If people's reaction is "I
don't want Wikipedia to go away - I better donate", that's not a bad
thing.

Obviously we should try to work out any remaining display glitches.
And I'm sure over time we'll find a "happy medium" when it comes to
aspects like font size, color, etc. But more importantly, we should
try to translate this appeal into as many languages as possible, as
it's currently just running in the English language wikis.

--- message truncated ---

Re: Jimmy Wales donation appeal [ In reply to ]
On Tue, Dec 23, 2008 at 5:59 PM, Erik Moeller <erik@wikimedia.org> wrote:
> Within the last 24 hours, we've raised a total of $283,859. That's
> more than 10 times as much as we made during a typical weekday in the
> last few days of the fundraiser, and the single highest day on record
> for community gifts. We don't know yet how steep the inevitable
> drop-off will be, but it's obvious that the appeal is working beyond
> everyone's expectations.
>
> I think it's worth noting that this tenfold increase has been possible
> without the use of additional pixel real estate, without scrolling
> marquees, interstitials, or other serious interruptions of the
> Wikipedia reader/editor experience. All it took were less than 60
> characters of text on each page in a highly visible font, linking to a
> personal appeal that makes our case in more detail.
>
> We should ask ourselves why it is that based on the previous
> sitenotices, 9 in 10 people who would be clearly willing to give to
> us, did not do so. There seem to be at least three principal reasons
> for that:
>
> * The previous messages were below the visibility threshold for most
> people: They considered them to be an unimportant part of the page
> that should be ignored.
>
> * The previous messages did not, clearly enough, make a case for
> giving. They appealed to people who instantly "get" the non-profit
> donation model, but not to those for whom Wikipedia is essentially the
> same as any other website. The appeal directly addresses this
> distinction, to the satisfaction of a great number of people.
>
> * Because it's a personal appeal, rather than an impersonal donation
> message, the letter seems more likely to resonate with people.
<snip>

I would opine that points 2 and 3 are the core characteristics, with 2
somewhat ahead of 3. Most of the banners are quite visible, and so I
think 1 is negligible factor. Or perhaps more directly, I think most
of the banners are visible to the point that people notice them, but
after reading them many fail to care about that message they offer.
For example, both the donation bar and the scales graphic starkly
standout on the page, and yet they are no where near as successful.
(I also suspect that the ability to extract gains by making the
message more visibile has already been saturated, and one could
probably reduce the height of the banner by 1/3 or so with little
marginal change in the response rate.)

So, if not visibility, then what is really going on. In my opinion,
if you want someone to read something, personalizing it is a very good
idea. I think describing it as a personal message and putting a face
to it, provides engagement and gets people to pay attention. That
Jimbo has excellent name recognition helps (if it were Sue or Michael
Snow, for example, I don't think it would do as well).

But ultimately, once one captures eyeballs, I think the biggest factor
in getting people to hit the big red button is message. We tend to
forget that among the 100s of millions of people that occasionally use
Wikipedia, a substantial fraction don't really understand our
operation or our goals. Saying "we are a non-profit" or a similar
banner-sized message doesn't capture who we are in the way the longer
text can. I suspect that simply providing the larger community with
more information about what-the-hell-Wikipedia-is goes a long way to
encouraging donations. It also suggests that the current donations
landing page could probably be improved by providing more of that
information.

If I am right that the new message captures a larger number of people
with only a casual familiarity with Wikipedia, then one might also
guess that the donations early in the drive tended to come more from
hard-core Wiki supporters who were already well acquainted with who we
are and how we work.

-Robert Rohde

Re: Jimmy Wales donation appeal [ In reply to ]
2008/12/24 Robert Rohde <rarohde@gmail.com>:

> So, if not visibility, then what is really going on. In my opinion,
> if you want someone to read something, personalizing it is a very good
> idea. I think describing it as a personal message and putting a face
> to it, provides engagement and gets people to pay attention. That
> Jimbo has excellent name recognition helps (if it were Sue or Michael
> Snow, for example, I don't think it would do as well).

Jimbo applying his rock star factor is one of his most useful jobs for WMF :-)

- d.