Mailing List Archive

Re: and what if... [ In reply to ]
> Any society considering a Great Firewall of any sort is neither
> democratic nor open, whether or not they periodically hold votes on
> exactly who should implement bad ideas. We should not in any way
> acknowledge or respect such, though we should help those who live
> there and encourage and assist them in circumvention.
>
> --
Well, here comes a real life story. Several days ago, someone on ru.wp
village pump drew the attention of the community to the existence of a
userbox "This user denies Holocost". I speedily deleted the userbox (it
has been used on a number of user pages), since the Holocost denial is
illegal in a number of European countries and constitutes a criminal
offense, and I was afraid that the access to ru.wp will be blocked in
these countries. However, the community has explicitly chosen to ignore
the issue: Any userboxes are currently allowed provided they do not break
the laws of the state of Florida. When I realized that I basically broke
the rules trying to obey the law, I restored the userbox (it has been
later removed by another sysop, and the discussion is still going and will
most probably result in an arbitration case against us), but the issue is
still there. (Note that this does not concern the content, only the
design).

On the other hand, obviously we can not obey all the laws in all
countries. For instance, in Iran LBGT topic are prohibited, and following
this logic we need to remove all LGBT articles from all language editions,
most notably from fa.wp, and content removal clearly contradicts the WMF
goals.

Cheers
Yaroslav

Re: and what if... [ In reply to ]
Hoi,
Do people add these user boxes to their own user page ?
Thanks,
GerardM

Re: and what if... [ In reply to ]
I would recommend that Russian Wikipedia adopt a policy similar to

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:USERBOXES#Content_restrictions

># Userboxes must not be inflammatory or divisive.
># Wikipedia is not an appropriate place for propaganda, advocacy, or
>recruitment of any kind, commercial, political, religious, or
>otherwise, opinion pieces on current affairs or politics,
>self-promotion, or advertising.

I would also note that the sorts of people who deny the Holocaust are
generally the sorts of people who ought to be blocked on sight from
editing Wikipedia.

--Jimbo

Re: and what if... [ In reply to ]
2008/12/13 Jimmy Wales <jwales@wikia-inc.com>:
> I would recommend that Russian Wikipedia adopt a policy similar to
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:USERBOXES#Content_restrictions
>
> ># Userboxes must not be inflammatory or divisive.
> ># Wikipedia is not an appropriate place for propaganda, advocacy, or
> >recruitment of any kind, commercial, political, religious, or
> >otherwise, opinion pieces on current affairs or politics,
> >self-promotion, or advertising.
>
> I would also note that the sorts of people who deny the Holocaust are
> generally the sorts of people who ought to be blocked on sight from
> editing Wikipedia.
>
> --Jimbo

That would involve blocking a significant chunk of our potential Arab
editors. Holocaust denial has fairly popular in certain parts of the
world. POV about Israel is a greater problem than normal in our
various Islamic dominated languages.

--
geni

Re: and what if... [ In reply to ]
> Hoi,
> Do people add these user boxes to their own user page ?
> Thanks,
> GerardM

Yes, that's right. Actually, we just have one fictitious user,
[[ru:User/Box]], who is permablocked, and almost all userboxes (including
the Holocost denial one) are moved to the subspace of this user.

Cheers
Yaroslav

Re: and what if... [ In reply to ]
Hoi,
When no real user has this on his user page, then it is no real issue with
deleting this nonsense. When it is people actually having this on their user
page you have a real problem. Now it seems to me that it is easiest to stamp
such nonsense out.

Re: and what if... [ In reply to ]
On Sat, Dec 13, 2008 at 6:54 AM, geni <geniice@gmail.com> wrote:

> 2008/12/13 Jimmy Wales <jwales@wikia-inc.com>:
> > I would recommend that Russian Wikipedia adopt a policy similar to
> >
> > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:USERBOXES#Content_restrictions
> >
> > ># Userboxes must not be inflammatory or divisive.
> > ># Wikipedia is not an appropriate place for propaganda, advocacy, or
> > >recruitment of any kind, commercial, political, religious, or
> > >otherwise, opinion pieces on current affairs or politics,
> > >self-promotion, or advertising.
> >
> > I would also note that the sorts of people who deny the Holocaust are
> > generally the sorts of people who ought to be blocked on sight from
> > editing Wikipedia.
> >
> > --Jimbo
>
> That would involve blocking a significant chunk of our potential Arab
> editors. Holocaust denial has fairly popular in certain parts of the
> world.

Jimbo didn't say anyone who denies the Holocaust should be blocked, as
though Wikipedia should engage in thought-crime. He said "the sorts of
people who deny the Holocaust are generally the sorts of people who ought to
be blocked on sight from editing Wikipedia". High correlation, not
causation.

Anyway, in places where Holocaust denial really is widespread, it's probably
similar to young earth creationism beliefs here in the US. Something you
probably could find a lot of people state that they believe if you did a
poll (Wikipedia suggests 44%), but not something that really is integrated
into their worldview. But maybe I'm wrong, there. Holocaust denial
certainly seems more dangerous than belief in young earth creationism.
Re: and what if... [ In reply to ]
On Sat, Dec 13, 2008 at 8:22 AM, Anthony <wikimail@inbox.org> wrote:

> On Sat, Dec 13, 2008 at 6:54 AM, geni <geniice@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> 2008/12/13 Jimmy Wales <jwales@wikia-inc.com>:
>> > I would recommend that Russian Wikipedia adopt a policy similar to
>> >
>> > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:USERBOXES#Content_restrictions

>> > I would also note that the sorts of people who deny the Holocaust are
>> > generally the sorts of people who ought to be blocked on sight from
>> > editing Wikipedia.
>> >
>> > --Jimbo
>>
>> That would involve blocking a significant chunk of our potential Arab
>> editors. Holocaust denial has fairly popular in certain parts of the
>> world.
>

> Jimbo didn't say anyone who denies the Holocaust should be blocked, as
> though Wikipedia should engage in thought-crime. He said "the sorts of
> people who deny the Holocaust are generally the sorts of people who ought to
> be blocked on sight from editing Wikipedia". High correlation, not
> causation.
>
> Anyway, in places where Holocaust denial really is widespread, it's
> probably similar to young earth creationism beliefs here in the US.
> Something you probably could find a lot of people state that they believe if
> you did a poll (Wikipedia suggests 44%), but not something that really is
> integrated into their worldview. But maybe I'm wrong, there. Holocaust
> denial certainly seems more dangerous than belief in young earth
> creationism.

By the way, I suppose Godwin's law has been proven once again. Little over
a week from Virgin Killer to the Holocaust.
Re: and what if... [ In reply to ]
Anthony wrote:
> On Sat, Dec 13, 2008 at 6:54 AM, geni <geniice@gmail.com> wrote:
>

>> 2008/12/13 Jimmy Wales <jwales@wikia-inc.com>:
>>
>>> I would recommend that Russian Wikipedia adopt a policy similar to
>>>
>>> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:USERBOXES#Content_restrictions

>>> I would also note that the sorts of people who deny the Holocaust are
>>> generally the sorts of people who ought to be blocked on sight from
>>> editing Wikipedia.
>>>
>>> --Jimbo
>>>
>> That would involve blocking a significant chunk of our potential Arab
>> editors. Holocaust denial has fairly popular in certain parts of the
>> world.
>>

> Jimbo didn't say anyone who denies the Holocaust should be blocked, as
> though Wikipedia should engage in thought-crime. He said "the sorts of
> people who deny the Holocaust are generally the sorts of people who ought to
> be blocked on sight from editing Wikipedia". High correlation, not
> causation.

Yeah. Sadly equally valid as the statement: "the sorts of people
who idolize Ayn Rand are generally the sorts of people who
ought to be blocked on sight from Wikipedia".

That is to say, zero validity at all as a rhetorical point for a good
faith cause. Only good for fuzzying the issue.

Yours,

Jussi-Ville Heiskanen

Re: and what if... [ In reply to ]
> Jimbo didn't say anyone who denies the Holocaust should be blocked, as
> though Wikipedia should engage in thought-crime. He said "the sorts of
> people who deny the Holocaust are generally the sorts of people who ought to
> be blocked on sight from editing Wikipedia". High correlation, not
> causation.

I agree - there is a high correlation. Anyone that believes the
Holocaust didn't happen probably doesn't support the use of reliable
sources, which makes them incompatible with our goals. Thus, they
should be blocked. I wouldn't support blocking them on sight, though -
they should be given a chance to screw up first.

Re: and what if... [ In reply to ]
Florence Devouard wrote:
> I can not help reflect further on the whole Virgin Killer story.

Why is that?

A lack of self control, or because you actually have a
deeply thought out viewpoint?

> Whilst I am very happy of the final outcome, and thank David Gerard and
> WMF for having handled that very well, I feel also a big disatisfied by
> the way we acknowledged what happen and discuss future steps.

Wow. I think you are deluded if you think we are anywhere near
to a final outcome of all this...
> We all perfectly know that if this particular image was borderline,
> there are images or texts that are illegal in certain countries. I am
> not even speaking of China here, but good old westernish countries.
> In some countries, it may be sexually-oriented picts. In others, it may
> be violence. In others yet, some texts we host are forbidden. I am not
> going to cite any examples publicly ;-)

Frankly, as a person who thinks nothing of enjoying a sauna
with members of the other gender of any age, I think you are
overstating it considerably to say *all* of us think the image is
even mildly controversial, except for the perverted sense of
shame many cultures have bestowed on the natural human
body form.

To underline why I personally find your posting very offensive
in the absolutel, I will simply ask, why are you refraining talking
about some things publically, but declining to talk to people
with actual responsibility of real legal stuff, privately.

Or are we to assume that you speaking out here publically is
a result of you not getting the result you want through your
private channels to the legal people of the foundation?

> Until now, we have blinded ourselves in claiming that
> * we do not really need to respect local countries law. We respect by
> default the law of the country where projects are hosted (USA)
> * if a country is not happy with some of the content, they can bring the
> affair in front of a local tribunal. Then it will have to go in front of
> an international tribunal. This will last 5 years at least. Good for us.
> * if a legal decision forbid us to show a certain article or a certain
> image, we'll implement a system to block showing the images or text in a
> certain country.
>
> And that was it !
>
> Now, the fact is that we see that other mecanisms can work much better
> than the legal route. It is sufficient that a Foundation, privately
> funded by ISP, establish a black list, for the image/text to be not
> accessible. And on top of that, in a few hours, for most of the citizens
> of this country to be blocked from editing.
>
> Now, seriously, what is more important right now ?
> That citizens can not read one article ?
> Or that all the citizens of a country can not edit all articles any more ?
>
> I would argue that the content of Wikipedia can be copied and
> distributed by anyone, so preventing reading our site is not such a bid
> deal.
> However, editing can only be done on our site, so the impact of blocking
> in editing is quite dramatic.
>
> My point is not to bend on local laws at all.
> But I'd like to see people change their minds about the traditional
> route we used to think we could be blocked in "democratic" countries
> (legal route, with local then international tribunal).
> And I'd like to see people think about the "worst cases", and then work
> on how to decrease the impact (or prevent entirely) these worst cases.
> Scenario planning in short.
>
> If tomorrow, a really illegal-in-UK image is reported to the IWF, they
> will block it for real. And they will block again editing. Is that a
> concern ? Can it happen again ? What's the risk of it happening again ?
> If it does, what do we do ? Which discussions should we start to avoid
> the entire edit-blocking again ?
>
> And... beyond UK, what do we know about the censorship-systems the
> countries are setting into place ? I understood that Australia was
> setting up the same system than UK, but that France was rather thinking
> of other system. Should not we get to know and understand better what
> governments are planning ? Should we try to lobby them to adopt certains
> choices or not ? Should we help them adopt wise practices ?

Really I am ashamed to read anyone writing such drivel, who
has even momentarily held a position of responsibility in the
organisation of the foundation.

Of course not.

If that was the responce you wanted; well, there you have it,
from my fingers.

Why anyone would want such re-assurance is beyond me though.

It would be genuinely of earth-shattering import, if *we* as a
foundation found that we should enter into the games of
partisan politics in any shape or form. Even in issues that are
close to hour heart in a legitimate fashion.

We just don't do that.

> Or should we just wait to see what's next ?

/me opens wide...

Yours,

Jussi-Ville Heiskanen

Re: and what if... [ In reply to ]
> Any society considering a Great Firewall of any sort is neither
> democratic nor open, whether or not they periodically hold votes on
> exactly who should implement bad ideas. We should not in any way
> acknowledge or respect such, though we should help those who live
> there and encourage and assist them in circumvention.

Countries have laws. The state enforces those laws. That's one of the
main purposes of having a state over anarchy. Censoring parts of the
internet is pretty much the only way to enforce child pornography laws
(when the sites are hosted abroad). I don't see anything undemocratic
about that. It's a democratically elected government making the laws
and those laws don't prevent free and fair elections, so it isn't
undemocratic. (Of course, an semi-official and unaccountable agency
like the IWF enforcing the laws is not a great way to go about it.)

Re: and what if... [ In reply to ]
2008/12/13 Thomas Dalton <thomas.dalton@gmail.com>:

>> Jimbo didn't say anyone who denies the Holocaust should be blocked, as
>> though Wikipedia should engage in thought-crime. He said "the sorts of
>> people who deny the Holocaust are generally the sorts of people who ought to
>> be blocked on sight from editing Wikipedia". High correlation, not
>> causation.

> I agree - there is a high correlation. Anyone that believes the
> Holocaust didn't happen probably doesn't support the use of reliable
> sources, which makes them incompatible with our goals. Thus, they
> should be blocked. I wouldn't support blocking them on sight, though -
> they should be given a chance to screw up first.

And his statement is indeed correct on the historical evidence. It
would be novel indeed to have a Holocaust denier who wasn't a crank as
an editor, but I don't expect it to happen any time soon.

- d.

Re: and what if... [ In reply to ]
On Sat, Dec 13, 2008 at 9:07 AM, Jussi-Ville Heiskanen <cimonavaro@gmail.com
> wrote:

> Frankly, as a person who thinks nothing of enjoying a sauna
> with members of the other gender of any age, I think you are
> overstating it considerably to say *all* of us think the image is
> even mildly controversial, except for the perverted sense of
> shame many cultures have bestowed on the natural human
> body form.

Give me a break. You don't have to have a perverted sense of shame about
the natural human body form to take a stand against the sexual exploitation
of young child for the purposes of selling a heavy metal album.

There are many photographs of nudity on Wikipedia. Only *one* of them
caused this controversy, and the one that caused it was *not* chosen
randomly.
Re: and what if... [ In reply to ]
Anthony wrote:
> On Sat, Dec 13, 2008 at 9:07 AM, Jussi-Ville Heiskanen <cimonavaro@gmail.com
>
>> wrote:
>>

>> Frankly, as a person who thinks nothing of enjoying a sauna
>> with members of the other gender of any age, I think you are
>> overstating it considerably to say *all* of us think the image is
>> even mildly controversial, except for the perverted sense of
>> shame many cultures have bestowed on the natural human
>> body form.
>>

> Give me a break. You don't have to have a perverted sense of shame about
> the natural human body form to take a stand against the sexual exploitation
> of young child for the purposes of selling a heavy metal album.

Wow, how involved can you make a logical statement. Would I break
your rebuttal of my stement, I would say that you can only exploit
that which is exceptional and rarified in the market.

If you can see nekkid pre- and postpubescent girls as a matter of
course at a sauna, there is no ability to exploit it at all.

> There are many photographs of nudity on Wikipedia. Only *one* of them
> caused this controversy, and the one that caused it was *not* chosen
> randomly.

Well, if it wasn't chosen randomly, I just will say the ones choosing
need to look at where their testicles and brain pan is, not necessarily
in that order.

Yours,

Jussi-Ville Heiskanen

Re: and what if... [ In reply to ]
> Hoi,
> When no real user has this on his user page, then it is no real issue with
> deleting this nonsense. When it is people actually having this on their
> user
> page you have a real problem. Now it seems to me that it is easiest to
> stamp
> such nonsense out.
> Thanks,
> GerardM

Well, if it were so easy the stuff had been deleted a long time ago. The
userboxes are on the user pages, the userboxes are templates which are
hosted not in the main space (otherwise they would cleadly break the
rules), but in the private space of a fictitious user. This arrangement
has been voted a number of times.

Cheers
Yaroslav

Re: and what if... [ In reply to ]
Hoi,
What good are rules if subterfuge prevents them from being applied?

Re: and what if... [ In reply to ]
On Sat, Dec 13, 2008 at 7:09 AM, Thomas Dalton <thomas.dalton@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Any society considering a Great Firewall of any sort is neither
>> democratic nor open, whether or not they periodically hold votes on
>> exactly who should implement bad ideas. We should not in any way
>> acknowledge or respect such, though we should help those who live
>> there and encourage and assist them in circumvention.
>
> Countries have laws. The state enforces those laws. That's one of the
> main purposes of having a state over anarchy. Censoring parts of the
> internet is pretty much the only way to enforce child pornography laws
> (when the sites are hosted abroad). I don't see anything undemocratic
> about that. It's a democratically elected government making the laws
> and those laws don't prevent free and fair elections, so it isn't
> undemocratic. (Of course, an semi-official and unaccountable agency
> like the IWF enforcing the laws is not a great way to go about it.)

Yes, all states have laws. It is the content of those laws which
determines whether or not the state is a free and open society. One
may have a free and open society that is not an anarchy.

Prior-restraint censorship, or blocking people from seeing,
discussing, and thinking about (as opposed to performing) potentially
harmful actions make that answer a "no".

--
Freedom is the right to say that 2+2=4. From this all else follows.

Re: and what if... [ In reply to ]
On Sat, Dec 13, 2008 at 1:15 PM, Todd Allen <toddmallen@gmail.com> wrote:

> Yes, all states have laws. It is the content of those laws which
> determines whether or not the state is a free and open society. One
> may have a free and open society that is not an anarchy.
>
> Prior-restraint censorship, or blocking people from seeing,
> discussing, and thinking about (as opposed to performing) potentially
> harmful actions make that answer a "no".

Can we get back on topic? We should be discussing child pornography laws
here. If you're trying to say that a free and open society can't have laws
against the sale, distribution, and production of child pornography, then
say that, don't create strawman laws about seeing, discussing, and thinking
about potentially harmful actions.
Re: and what if... [ In reply to ]
> Yes, all states have laws. It is the content of those laws which
> determines whether or not the state is a free and open society. One
> may have a free and open society that is not an anarchy.

If the country has free and fair elections for its leaders then it is
a democracy. A law made by democratically elected leaders that doesn't
get in the way of free and fair elections cannot be undemocratic. Just
because you don't like the law doesn't mean a majority of the
electorate agrees with you.

Re: and what if... [ In reply to ]
> Hoi,
> What good are rules if subterfuge prevents them from being applied?
> Thanks,
> GerardM

Well, it is also a part of the rules.

Cheers
Yaroslav

Re: and what if... [ In reply to ]
Birgitte SB wrote:

> [...]

Hello

I did not mean to suggest we should collaborate with whatever
government. I meant that we could maybe learnt from what happenned and
think about scenarios for different futures, and prepare ourselves for
these different futures.

Ant

Re: and what if... [ In reply to ]
Jussi-Ville Heiskanen wrote:
> Florence Devouard wrote:
>> I can not help reflect further on the whole Virgin Killer story.
>>

> Why is that?
>
> A lack of self control, or because you actually have a
> deeply thought out viewpoint?

Yeah.

Tomorrow, I am talking in a conference. The topic is focused on scenario
planning (and how it can help to foresee and organize for important
shifts). A couple of days ago, the moderator of the session asked me if
Wikipedia had ever used "scenario planning". I stayed speechless...
hmmm, strategic planning as in SWOT, yes. Environmental scan, yes. But
scenario planning, no, I had no memory.
Hmmm, at best, a very simplified scenario planning version for the
budget, with short time "best case" and "worse case". Usually, scenario
planning is rather on the 5-10 years scale.

I then thought of the major society shifts we are currently observing.

Would the future rather follow lines of a liberalization, with more free
licences and sharing... or to the contrary follow lines of tightening of
intellectual property laws.
Would the future rather follow lines of increasing scattering of
responsibilities on internet in particular and ultimately strong
weakening of the notion of states... or to the contrary follow lines of
increasing nation-based control of content access by its citizens.
Would the future rather follow lines of mercantilization, brand
marketing... or to the contrary follow lines of equal trade, fairness
and charitable giving.

And so on.

And I thought I could perhaps drop a bait to see how wikipedians on
foundation-l would react. Would they feel like playing the game of
thinking of scenarios in the spirit of long term strategic planning. Or
would they stay STUCK to the current story.

Feedback was beyond my expectations :-)

My answer tomorrow could be
"Wikipedia was probably the least planned project ever; it currently has
reached the level of a non-profit start-up, with a planning ability of
about 1 year".
and
"Professionals could probably help us grow up in certain areas, but they
would have to cope with all the no-life standing on our mailing lists".

Cheers

Ant

Re: and what if... [ In reply to ]
> Hmmm, at best, a very simplified scenario planning version for the
> budget, with short time "best case" and "worse case". Usually, scenario
> planning is rather on the 5-10 years scale.

Things move far too fast in our world to plan much on that kind of
timescale. For example, current models suggest the English Wikipedia's
growth will pretty much stop within the next 5 years [1]. Who knows
what effect that will have on things? At current growth rates, the WMF
will be enormous in 5 years time, who knows what effect *that* will
have on things (I'm not sure how long such growth is sustainable, but
even if it does start to level off by then, it will still level off at
a point significantly larger than it is now)? Stable versions are just
starting to be implemented across various projects, DVD/USB
stick/print versions of projects are starting to take off, chapters
are starting to come into their own, who knows what effect any of
those things will have?

I don't know about you, but I have absolutely no idea what Wikimedia
is going to be like in 5 years time. You can't plan for scenarios
without conceiving of them first, and I think whatever happens over
the next 5 years, it will be inconceivable. Some scenario planning for
the next 1-2 years, maybe 3, wouldn't hurt, but more than that is
probably a waste of time because the scenarios most likely won't
happen.

Re: and what if... [ In reply to ]
2008/12/13 Florence Devouard <Anthere9@yahoo.com>:
> My answer tomorrow could be
> "Wikipedia was probably the least planned project ever; it currently has
> reached the level of a non-profit start-up, with a planning ability of
> about 1 year".

Scenario planning longer than that would start making some seriously
unwarranted assumptions. For example it would be somewhat dicey to bet
against the position that in 5 years time most content added to
wikipedia will be bot extracted from google books (I've already seen
claims that bots can write articles with something like 90% accuracy
from just standard websites given who was making them they may have a
point).

In such an environment long term planning is of questionable value.

To concentrate on the censorship issue any scenario would normally
assume that the internet infrastructure will remain constant. Safe
over one year less so for more than that.

> and
> "Professionals could probably help us grow up in certain areas, but they
> would have to cope with all the no-life standing on our mailing lists".

You missed that wikipedians are paranoid and thus unlikely to want to
discuss negative scenarios due to the risk people might actually try
to cause them to hurt wikipedia

In any case the mailing list is not a good place to carry out such
planning which is better done on wiki where a kinda finished result
can be organized.

Finally we would have to get some honest answers from the foundation
about where it plans to be in 5 years time (funding, server location,
size, legal position).
--
geni