want to?

--
Domas Mituzas -- http://dammit.lt/ -- [[user:midom]]

Re: frustration vs volunteerism [ In reply to ]
Hi,

I think there are people who work on the projects because the like it.
But i think there is also a group that is working because the are
fustrated.

Huib

--
Leave nothing but footprints, take nothing but pictures

http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/User:SterkeBak

Re: frustration vs volunteerism [ In reply to ]
> Are we working on the project because we're frustrated, or because we
> want to?

I think that might be a false dichotomy. We work on the projects
because we want to (we consider it a worthwhile cause), we work on
specific more tedious parts of the project out of frustration.

Re: frustration vs volunteerism [ In reply to ]
On Tue, Dec 9, 2008 at 2:39 AM, Domas Mituzas <midom.lists@gmail.com> wrote:
> Somehow following phrase caught my eye today,
>
> "Because myself and others have been frustrated by the lack of good
> stats
> on the number of active editors on the English Wikipedia, I have
> compiled
> some stats on the editing frequency on enwiki:"
>
> Are we working on the project because we're frustrated, or because we
> want to?

Yes.

I wrote the quote you cite, and I stick by it.

My process often goes something like:

1) Want to find something.
2) Get frustrated that it doesn't exists (be it stats, or wiki
articles, or whatever).
3) Decide to create it myself.

So yes, I often choose areas to work on as a result of channeling my
frustrations. Usually that frustration is directly tied to something
I want to see accomplished, which hasn't been.

-Robert Rohde