Mailing List Archive

Fw: Why we should use the community draft of the language proposal policy
----- Forwarded Message ----
From: Leigh Babbage <gladysthegroovymule@yahoo.co.uk>
To: foundation-l@lists.wikimedia.org; langcom-l@list.wikimedia.org
Sent: Tuesday, November 18, 2008 2:07:47 PM
Subject: [Foundation-l] Why we should use the community draft of the language proposal policy

Some Wikimedia users (and I am
certainly part of this group) thought it unfair that, whilst
artificial languages such as Esperanto and Volupak were allowed by
this policy to have Wikipedias, classical languages such as Latin and
Ancient Greek were not, on the grounds that, since they have no
native speakers, they do not serve a community and are therefore at
odds with the foundation's mission statement. This seems like both a
contradiction and a questionable interpretation of the foundation's
mission statement. With this in mind, one of the requisites for
eligibility in the current policy:

“The proposal has a sufficient
number of living native speakers to form a viable community and
audience. (Wikisource wikis are allowed in languages with no native
speakers, although these should be on a wiki for the modern form of
the language if possible.)

If the proposal is for an
artificial language such as Esperanto,
it must have a reasonable degree of recognition as determined by
discussion (this requirement is being discussed by the language
subcommittee).”
Has been changed to this in the community draft:

“The proposal has a sufficient worldwide number of people able to
express themselves at a fluent level, in the written, spoken or
signed form, to form a viable community and audience.

If the proposal is for a
language without native speakers, it will need to be demonstrated
that it is well attested in written texts, and is in current use as
a special, auxiliary, engineered, classical or learned language.”
The community draft's requisite
reflects the fact that a viable community and audience does not need
native speakers,

In fact, for cultural purpose, the native condition is not determinant. More important is the language prestigious.

<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<
The community draft also specifies
how much of the interface has to be translated before final approval
for both first projects in a language and projects in languages that
already have projects. By requiring the 500 most-used messages to be
translated for a first project, the policy sets a goal that is tough
but reasonable. Requiring too many messages to be translated before
the creation of the project would be likely to tire-out a smaller
community (which would, of course, grow once the project was
actually created). Not requiring any would make it easier for
languages without much real support to slip through the net (I think
that this part of the process should be used not only to make sure
that the language has an interface, but also as another part of the
test to see whether a language is suitable for the project). By
requiring 500 messages to be translated we can ensure that people
are serious about the project and have enough motivation, that the
language (if it is classical) is capable of expressing modern
concepts and that potential editors are not *too*
over-worked during what is (let's be honest) the most boring part of
the process. It is more sensible to require a grater number of
messages to be translated before the creation of another project in
a language because a language that already has at least one
Wikimedia project should have a bigger community.

I agree, minimal localisation proves the ability of the languages expressing technical concepts

it is unbelievable that langcom doesn't yet endorse the community draft. It's excellent.

C.m..l.

Fw: Why we should use the community draft of the language proposal policy [ In reply to ]
The community was invited to collaborate on a new draft proposal for policy on the creation
of wikis in new languages. Over the past several months quite a few people participated in
the formulation of the new draft proposal, and there was extensive discussion of every
aspect. Attention was paid to every phrase.

http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Meta:Language_proposal_policy/Community_draft

On some things there were compromises: Regarding localization requirements, for
instance, I personally oppose the translation of the interface as a prerequisite for the
creation of a wiki, particularly when it means huge numbers of messages: currently nearly
500 for the first wiki in a language, and well over 3000 (!) messages for subsequent wikis.
Nevertheless, I understand the arguments of others, and given the fact that this huge requirement exists in the current policy anyways it is really no loss even given my position.
The rest of the draft, however, is a huge improvement in many ways. There are
compromises in everything, and the current draft is a good compromise.

In short, the draft is excellent. It is a good reflection of community opinion, and a strong
example of community collaboration and compromise. Language committee members have
participated in its formulation to a significant extent, along with the non-members who
began the draft and did most of the work on it. Overall, its spirit is similar to the current
policy, but with some significant differences in both style and content.

This excellent proposal should be ratified and made policy. Beyond the policy itself, doing
so would strengthen the Language Committee itself by showing clearly that it works in
tandem with the community and addresses community concerns.

Dovi

Re: Fw: Why we should use the community draft of the language proposal policy [ In reply to ]
Hello,

The current draft still has a few issues:

* It allows wikis for languages that have no written form.

* It allows every type of language except fictional, including
languages nobody uses for communication. For example, it allows wikis
is extinct languages, so long as some people learn to write or speak
it fluently. Even fictional languages are only excluded due to
"substantial opposition in the community", with no rational
explanation for the distinction between fluently-spoken artificial and
fluently-spoken extinct languages.

* The new requirements are vague and arbitrary, and essentially let
the subcommittee decide requests based on personal preference. They
exclude far less languages, but only because they're not concrete or
measurable.

The community draft is promising, but I don't think implementing it
while these issues are unaddressed would be beneficial.

--
Yours cordially,
Jesse Plamondon-Willard (Pathoschild)

Fw: Why we should use the community draft of the language proposal policy [ In reply to ]
Responding to Jesse Plamondon-Willard's points:

>The current draft still as a few issues:

>* It allows wikis for languages that have no written form.

This is not an "issue". The Wikimedia Foundation itself has in
the past advertised meeting its goal of spreading knowledge
by providing a platform for languages without fixed written forms
(especially native-American languages) to express themselves and
develop both their written forms and materials in them. So yes,
the proposal is quite clear in allowing them. Since interface
is a requirement, no such wiki will be created under the proposed
policy until an acceptable written form has been agreed upon.

> * It allows every type of language except fictional, including
languages nobody uses for communication. For example, it allows wikis
is extinct languages, so long as some people learn to write or speak
it fluently. Even fictional languages are only excluded due to
"substantial opposition in the community", with no rational
explanation for the distinction between fluently-spoken artificial and
fluently-spoken extinct languages.

Classical languages are not "extinct" languages by any means.
Yes, the policy clearly allows them because of the many educated
people who can express themselves in them fluently and want to do
so. This is not an "issue", but a matter on which the community
(as reflected in the draft) clearly disagrees with the language
committee. Is the Language Committee accountable to community
will or not? If any disagreement is an "issue" and there is no
accountability to community will, then perhaps both the role and
the very existence of the language committee should be reconsidered.

As far as fictional languages, you are correct that there is no
rational explanation other than "community opposition." Exactly.
I personally having nothing against fictional languages either, but
*this* policy draft ultimately derives its legitimacy from community
collaboration and compromise. It reflects community will.
Does the current policy do that?

> * The new requirements are vague and arbitrary, and essentially let
the subcommittee decide requests based on personal preference. They
exclude far less languages, but only because they're not concrete or
measurable.

Everything is completely measurable: How many participants are there
who can express themselves fluently who are building the test
project? Has the localization been completed?

>The community draft is promising, but I don't think implementing it
while these issues are unaddressed would be beneficial.

All the issues *have* been addressed. Perhaps you disagree with
*how* they have been addressed. It seems strange to me that,
if you think things have not been addressed, that you are raising
your issues here rather than at the proposal's talk page over the
past several months.

Thanks,
Dovi

Re: Fw: Why we should use the community draft of the language proposal policy [ In reply to ]
Hello Dovi,

The language subcommittee has no official opinion on the issue; I'm
disagreeing as a member of the community. A lack of comment is not
consensus. Several discussions on the talk page went quiet without
ever reaching agreement. A consensus is not reached simply because
nobody recently commented, and your proposals aren't immune from
objection.

Dovi Jacobs <dovijacobs@yahoo.com> wrote:
> the proposal is quite clear in allowing [languages without fixed
> written forms]. [...] Since interface is a requirement, no such wiki
> will be created under the proposed policy until an acceptable
> written form has been agreed upon.

That is a contradiction.

Dovi Jacobs <dovijacobs@yahoo.com> wrote:
> Classical languages are not "extinct" languages by any means. [...]
> This is not an "issue", but a matter on which the community
> (as reflected in the draft) clearly disagrees with the language
> committee.

The majority of classical languages are extinct, as defined as a lack
of native usage. "Classical" is also a colloquial and controversial
term, not used by language classification bodies. The types used by
ISO 639-3 are living, extinct, ancient, historic, and constructed.

The current draft does not reflect "community will", it reflects your
June 2008 edits to the draft combined with a lack of real discussion.
The only related discussion, about differentiating which constructed
languages deserve wikis, concluded with your proposal to let the
community decide every such case by vote.

Dovi Jacobs <dovijacobs@yahoo.com> wrote:
> As far as fictional languages, you are correct that there is no
> rational explanation other than "community opposition." Exactly.
> I personally having nothing against fictional languages either, but
> *this* policy draft ultimately derives its legitimacy from community
> collaboration and compromise. It reflects community will.

The softening of the requirements, and your repetition of the phrase
"community will", suggest to me a return to decision by vote, with all
the consequences that entails (political voting, sockpuppetry,
double-standards, etc). The subcommittee was formed specifically to
get away from that, to form a fair and objective policy; what you
suggest seems to be a policy that leaves everything up to voting.

(And please stop repeating "community will". I am part of the
community, and my little part of that will does not match what you say
it does. You cannot claim "community will" to reject objections from
community members.)

Dovi Jacobs <dovijacobs@yahoo.com> wrote:
> It seems strange to me that, if you think things have not been
> addressed, that you are raising your issues here rather than
> at the proposal's talk page over the past several months.

I have raised similar issues on the talk page before. Had you asked if
there were further comments on the talk page rather than here, I would
have responded there.

Re: Fw: Why we should use the community draft of the language proposal policy [ In reply to ]
Several people on the talk page have done exactly that recently, calling for conclusion
and ratification, because both discussion and formulation seemed to have had long been
accepted by everyone working on it (and you were one of the people who contributed).
If you felt it was inadequate, you should have replied.

If more discussion was needed, and if there are discussions which you feel have not
been closed, then you should have replied there that ratification, in your opinion,
should not proceed because of those issues.

The community was called on to work on a draft. The call was made publicly and
an excellent draft was produced by a number of talented and knowledgeable people
with backgrounds and experience in various aspects of linguistics. The "issues" you
raise were all discussed adequately, and the draft reflects the majority view from those
discussions.

The current draft, I thought, was something that everyone could live with, reflecting real
compromises on a few issues that had been discussed. Quite frankly, given your silence
to the calls for closing, I though that was your opinion too.

If more community members want to discuss and refine the draft further that can still
of course be done, but there needs to be *some* method of finally closing the draft and
ratifying it once those working on it feel that it is done and it starts to stagnate.

Otherwise, there is no meaning at all to a community draft.

Have a good weekend,
Dovi

Re: Fw: Why we should use the community draft of the language proposal policy [ In reply to ]
Hoi,
I disagree that there is consensus on the many things that are in the
proposed policy. Pathoschild is completely correct that the current policy
has as its main advantage that voting is no longer done. Given that
languages are also checked to be that language before permission from the
board is asked, it is now less likely that a project goes rogue.

The policy as it was originally formulated allowed for constructed based on
discussion within the language committee. There are several members in the
language committee that are completely against them and object to for
instance the inclusion of a working Wikipedia project like the one for the
Lingua Franca Nova. This is in my opinion a pity. As to natural languages
that have gone extinct, I would not object when it is clear in the meta data
of the text that the text is not as original written in such a language.. a
code like grc-x-modern would allow for this. The same objection exists
however for this category of languages; there are no native speakers. NB the
URL would still be grc.wikipedia.org !!
Thanks,
GerardM