Mailing List Archive

The Wkii Way (was: A local chapter without Wikimedians)
on 11/25/08 5:35 PM, Jimmy Wales at jwales@wikia-inc.com wrote:

lots of independent
> action loosely coordinated... the wiki way).

Jimmy,

In this type of "loosely coordinated" situation, how do you prevent the more
aggressive persons from dominating a project?

Marc Riddell

Re: The Wkii Way [ In reply to ]
Marc Riddell wrote:
> on 11/25/08 5:35 PM, Jimmy Wales at jwales@wikia-inc.com wrote:
>
> lots of independent
>> action loosely coordinated... the wiki way).
>>
> Jimmy,
>
> In this type of "loosely coordinated" situation, how do you prevent the more
> aggressive persons from dominating a project?

I am unaware of any chapters having a problem with aggressive people
dominating. Normally, though, I would say that lots of independent
action loosely coordinated is a really good way to route around
aggressive people. If we are worried about aggressive people
dominating, then we want to avoid structures and social customs that
allow for top-down authoritarianism as the primary mode of operation.

--Jimbo

Re: The Wkii Way [ In reply to ]
2008/11/25 Jimmy Wales <jwales@wikia-inc.com>:
> Marc Riddell wrote:
>> on 11/25/08 5:35 PM, Jimmy Wales at jwales@wikia-inc.com wrote:
>>
>> lots of independent
>>> action loosely coordinated... the wiki way).
>>>
>> Jimmy,
>>
>> In this type of "loosely coordinated" situation, how do you prevent the more
>> aggressive persons from dominating a project?
>
> I am unaware of any chapters having a problem with aggressive people
> dominating. Normally, though, I would say that lots of independent
> action loosely coordinated is a really good way to route around
> aggressive people. If we are worried about aggressive people
> dominating, then we want to avoid structures and social customs that
> allow for top-down authoritarianism as the primary mode of operation.

Aren't most (all?) chapters democratically run? That should prevent
individuals from dominating things - just elect someone else to be in
charge.

Re: The Wkii Way [ In reply to ]
Democracy is still the enemy of autocracy. Also if a chapter gets really bad, people will vote with their dues and chapter will soon find itself in the red.

________________________________

Re: The Wkii Way (was: A local chapter without Wikimedians) [ In reply to ]
Best question...

Maybe the [[ w:Invisible hand ]] (ouch)

-- Porantim

Re: The Wkii Way [ In reply to ]
2008/11/26 Geoffrey Plourde <geo.plrd@yahoo.com>:
> Democracy is still the enemy of autocracy. Also if a chapter gets really bad, people will vote with their dues and chapter will soon find itself in the red.

That depends on the chapter - I think different chapters rely on
membership fees to different extents. If a chapter gets its funding
primarily from donations (and perhaps grants) from non-members it
would be theoretically able to function effectively without a large
membership (although a lack of manpower may harm the quality of its
outreach programs, etc.).

Re: The Wkii Way [ In reply to ]
People tend not to fund paper nonprofits. If someone pokes the grant funders hard enough, they will reconsider their grants.