Mailing List Archive

Re: Trademarks [ In reply to ]
Anthony writes:

> I guess what I didn't understand was that you were using the term
> "freedom
> of speech" to mean an absolute bar on the restriction of speech.

This is not what I was using the term to mean.

> Would you say there is clearly a tension between fraud law (or
> perjury law)
> and freedom of speech?

There is certainly some tension there, as is well-documented in the
scholarly treatments of the subject.

> The way I understand it, rights cannot be in
> conflict (or tension), and any seeming conflicts (or tensions)
> between your
> rights and the rights of another are simply a misunderstanding of
> one or the
> other right.

Are you just making this up off the top of your head? Of course
rights can be in tension, and they often are.

> I won't speak for Thomas, but I've noticed this independently of
> anyone
> having told me about it.

False memes can also arise from spontaneous generation and mutation.
(Blame cosmic rays, if you want.) Whether you want to focus on your
original perception of what you project upon me or else upon the
significance of how many people share your view, the fact remains --
if you believe what you are predisposed to believe, nothing I can say
will affect your belief. Explaining where your predisposition came
from is up to you -- it's not something I can know about.

> Wow, I'd say the exact opposite is true. I'd say the meme of
> assuming good
> faith, especially as it has mutated to be used quite commonly by
> Wikipedians
> (to discourage criticism), is a meme which promotes other memetic
> viruses,
> not one which inoculates against them.

That's a wonderfully misanthropic, cynical view. I imagine you're
quite proud of it.

> Well, like I said, not something I'm interested in arguing with you
> about.
> It's not my problem, it's your problem.

Seriously, since (a) you think I walk around thinking of you as
"little people," and (b) I know that is not how I think, it seems to
me to be the converse -- a problem for you, not for me. I mean, I'm
personally untroubled by your treasuring of a pet idea, even if it's a
pet idea about how little I supposedly think you are.

--Mike

Re: Trademarks [ In reply to ]
On Tue, Nov 25, 2008 at 12:01 PM, Mike Godwin <mgodwin@wikimedia.org> wrote:

> Anthony writes:
>
>> The fundamental intention of [[trademark dilution]] law is to create a
>> property right.
>
> This isn't an accurate statement about trademark law. It's true that
> trademark law creates certain rights, but to understand trademark law
> as an attempt to create a *property* right is an analytical mistake.

More important than the legalism...

Trademark law exists in order for organizations (businesses,
companies, charities) to avoid having people misrepresent that they
are associated with, or are, the organization.

This can be Chevron preventing a fake gas station from opening up on
some streetcorner, or the Red Cross keeping people from soliciting
money for another charity using their symbols.

In our case - Wikipedia stands for some things (freedom of
information, primarily), and doesn't stand for a bunch of other
things, some of which we are actively against (restrictions on
information and public discussion), and some of which really don't
matter one way or the other (like selling coffee).

Trademark law is the method we have available to prevent fraudulent
association of Wikipedia with things we aren't involved in or
associated with.

I don't want Wikipedia being used to sell Coffee, or shares in Citibank.

I don't mind it being used in association with other free information
projects we have some legit connection with.

Sure, any restriction on use of the logo/name is offensive to a
"information and ideas are completely free" absolutist philosophy.
But if we don't restrict it some, we'll get crap like Wikipedia brand
Dog Food, and that sucks.

Out of all the people in the world, Mike Godwin is probably one of the
best we could have trying to balance out the larger community of
open-information people's interests here.

Picking a fight with Mike over this is essentially arguing that we
should let Wikipedia brand Dog Food run free. I disagree...

--
-george william herbert
george.herbert@gmail.com

Re: Trademarks [ In reply to ]
> or the Red Cross keeping people from soliciting
> money for another charity using their symbols.

Not a great example - the Red Cross symbol is protected by more than
just trademark law, there are international treaties explicitly
governing its use.

Re: Trademarks [ In reply to ]
On Tue, Nov 25, 2008 at 6:12 PM, Mike Godwin <mgodwin@wikimedia.org> wrote:

> Anthony writes:
>
> > I guess what I didn't understand was that you were using the term
> > "freedom
> > of speech" to mean an absolute bar on the restriction of speech.
>
> This is not what I was using the term to mean.

Then you haven't answered how the requirements of trademark maintenance and
the interests of freedom of speech are in conflict.

> The way I understand it, rights cannot be in
> > conflict (or tension), and any seeming conflicts (or tensions)
> > between your
> > rights and the rights of another are simply a misunderstanding of
> > one or the
> > other right.
>
> Are you just making this up off the top of your head?

Is that an appropriate response? Surely one of your "assume good faith"
memes would be appropriate here, wouldn't it?

> Wow, I'd say the exact opposite is true. I'd say the meme of
> > assuming good
> > faith, especially as it has mutated to be used quite commonly by
> > Wikipedians
> > (to discourage criticism), is a meme which promotes other memetic
> > viruses,
> > not one which inoculates against them.
>
> That's a wonderfully misanthropic, cynical view. I imagine you're
> quite proud of it.

Again a very educated and informative response. I see you've incorporated
the "ad hominem" meme quite well.

> > Well, like I said, not something I'm interested in arguing with you
> > about.
> > It's not my problem, it's your problem.
>
> Seriously, since (a) you think I walk around thinking of you as
> "little people," and (b) I know that is not how I think, it seems to
> me to be the converse -- a problem for you, not for me.

You mischaracterize what I think.
Re: Trademarks [ In reply to ]
Anthony writes:

> Then you haven't answered how the requirements of trademark
> maintenance and
> the interests of freedom of speech are in conflict.

I have certainly tried to explain it. Do you need me to try to
explain it again and again until you understand what I'm saying?

>> Are you just making this up off the top of your head?
>
> Is that an appropriate response? Surely one of your "assume good
> faith"
> memes would be appropriate here, wouldn't it?

I feel certain that this is at least as appropriate a response as
asking me whether I learned something in law school (remember?).

But if you can't source your notion about how no rights are in
conflict, I certainly understand and sympathize.

>> That's a wonderfully misanthropic, cynical view. I imagine you're
>> quite proud of it.
> Again a very educated and informative response.

I was offering my opinion, is all. I think the idea that "assume good
faith" does not improve the memetic environment -- and may even
degrade it -- to be misanthropic and cynical. You of course are free
to disagree.

> I see you've incorporated
> the "ad hominem" meme quite well.

I don't understand your use of the term "ad hominem" here.

>> Seriously, since (a) you think I walk around thinking of you as
>> "little people," and (b) I know that is not how I think, it seems
>> me to be the converse -- a problem for you, not for me.
>

> You mischaracterize what I think.

I am happy to learn that, despite what you have posted in public, you
don't really suppose I think of you as "little people" and expect that
my views will be "accepted without question." On the other hand, this
raises the question of why you attributed such views to me in the
first place, but you need not answer here if it would make you
uncomfortable to source your assertions.

--Mike

Re: Trademarks [ In reply to ]
On Tue, Nov 25, 2008 at 7:22 PM, Mike Godwin <mgodwin@wikimedia.org> wrote:

> Anthony writes:
> >> Are you just making this up off the top of your head?
> >
> > Is that an appropriate response? Surely one of your "assume good
> > faith"
> > memes would be appropriate here, wouldn't it?
>
> I feel certain that this is at least as appropriate a response as
> asking me whether I learned something in law school (remember?).

So you're just going tit-for-tat with me? Is that it? If so, fine, we're
even. Now can we get back to something productive?

Oh shit. That was a rhetorical question, wasn't it? Damn, now I get
another tat. See where the tit-for-tat is leading us?

But if you can't source your notion about how no rights are in
> conflict, I certainly understand and sympathize.

Well, no, I can't source it. I don't know exactly *where* I got this notion
of rights. It happened a long time ago, when I was first learning about the
term. That said, I've googled around and it does seem that there is a
philosophical debate on exactly this question. I think it's mostly a
semantic argument, though I also think there is a deeper question as to
whether or not humans are fundamentally in conflict with each other (a
question which I would tentatively answer in the negative, though I admit
that I haven't studied the question enough to be sure about my answer).

>> That's a wonderfully misanthropic, cynical view. I imagine you're
> >> quite proud of it.
> > Again a very educated and informative response.
>
> I was offering my opinion, is all. I think the idea that "assume good
> faith" does not improve the memetic environment -- and may even
> degrade it -- to be misanthropic and cynical. You of course are free
> to disagree.

I completely agree that you think that way. It's not particularly useful
for me to know this, though.

> > I see you've incorporated
> > the "ad hominem" meme quite well.
>
> I don't understand your use of the term "ad hominem" here.

Instead of attacking my idea, you attacked me.
Re: Trademarks [ In reply to ]
Can this discussion be continued in private?

________________________________

Re: Trademarks [ In reply to ]
No what is wrong with wikipedia brand dog food (provided that we receive a cut?)?

________________________________

Re: Trademarks [ In reply to ]
On Tue, Nov 25, 2008 at 8:11 PM, Geoffrey Plourde <geo.plrd@yahoo.com> wrote:
> No what is wrong with wikipedia brand dog food (provided that we receive a cut?)?

See standard discussion of whether we want to accept advertising
onsite. Same general logic.

--
-george william herbert
george.herbert@gmail.com

Re: Trademarks [ In reply to ]
George Herbert wrote:
> I don't want Wikipedia being used to sell Coffee, or shares in Citibank.

On a lighter note, have no fear about the latter - obviously the only
thing capable of selling shares in Citi right now is a massive
government bailout. Our little brand would hardly make a dent.

The point is well taken, though. As I indicated earlier, our trademark
strategy is subservient to our larger mission. Trademark licensing that
is purely commercial with no other benefit is not the direction we want
to go.

--Michael Snow

Re: Trademarks [ In reply to ]
George Herbert wrote:
> On Tue, Nov 25, 2008 at 8:11 PM, Geoffrey Plourde <geo.plrd@yahoo.com> wrote:
>> No what is wrong with wikipedia brand dog food (provided that we receive a cut?)?
>
> See standard discussion of whether we want to accept advertising
> onsite. Same general logic.

Of course, Wikipedia brand dog food is a pretty far-fetched idea, and as
such might not provide the most interesting thought experiment for us to
feel our way forward to an understanding of the values that we want to
uphold. No one is likely to want to do Wikipedia brand dog food in the
first place, and the puzzlement that consumers would feel over what it
is about ("the dog food that anyone can edit"? "Imagine a world in which
every single dog on the planet..." :-)) would be substantial.

Tougher calls and more interesting thought experiments might involve
products that people might actually be interested in making and selling
(perhaps even successfully!).

(I am just randomly brainstorming to pose a few interesting challenges.)

1. Wikipedia books - these have been done in Germany with some success,
but imagine this being done on a massive scale, hiring some people in
the community, but also being done in part by people we never met.

2. Wikipedia television quiz program - with some sort of wiki flair and
with educational segments about our projects and goals in the developing
world... but what if the program *itself* isn't freely licensed?
(That's part of the thought experiment.)

3. Wikipedia series of documentaries - like National Geographic
programs - these are to be produced in the old fashioned way, with large
budgets, and will be run on television (perhaps on a pay channel like
HBO) and then subsequently revenues are expected from DVD sales. There
is no community collaborative production. But the end product will be
proprietary for 5 years and then released under a free license.

--Jimbo

Re: Trademarks [ In reply to ]
Anthony, Mike - I'm sure you haven't forgotten that this is Foundation-l,
not Trademark 01 (or Intro to rhetoric, for that matter), but maybe we can
draw the discussion back to matters Wikimedia?

Did we ever get a definitive answer on where the Wikimedia marks were
trademarked, or where the marks are protected without registration?

Has someone with some expertise weighed in on what steps the Foundation
might take, wrt trademarks, in the case of illegitimate use by a chapter,
former chapter or unapproved chapter-like group? Would this type of
situation fall into the category of significant enough to combat in court if
necessary, given the plausibility of an association in the minds of any
prospective audience? (Mike may not be able to answer this last question, I
suppose).

Nathan
Re: Trademarks [ In reply to ]
On Wed, Nov 26, 2008 at 10:35 AM, Nathan <nawrich@gmail.com> wrote:

> Anthony, Mike - I'm sure you haven't forgotten that this is Foundation-l,
> not Trademark 01 (or Intro to rhetoric, for that matter), but maybe we can
> draw the discussion back to matters Wikimedia?

I would think the general council's philosophical position on trademarks is
a matter quite Wikimedia, especially since Mike says that it influences what
he does pretty much on a daily basis.

That said, I wouldn't be opposed to a philosophy-l.
Re: Trademarks [ In reply to ]
On Wed, Nov 26, 2008 at 5:20 PM, Anthony <wikimail@inbox.org> wrote:
> On Wed, Nov 26, 2008 at 10:35 AM, Nathan <nawrich@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Anthony, Mike - I'm sure you haven't forgotten that this is Foundation-l,
>> not Trademark 01 (or Intro to rhetoric, for that matter), but maybe we can
>> draw the discussion back to matters Wikimedia?
>>

> I would think the general council's

Oh, we created yet another council? I thought a board of trustees, an
advisory board and a wikicouncil is enough. SCNR.

>philosophical position on trademarks is
> a matter quite Wikimedia, especially since Mike says that it influences what
> he does pretty much on a daily basis.

Yes and maybe we want to leave legal issues to the legal staff? I'm
all for discussions, but there is a certain point where laymen's
advice becomes less-than-usable/efficient.

Michael

--
Michael Bimmler
mbimmler@gmail.com

Re: Trademarks [ In reply to ]
2008/11/26 Michael Snow <wikipedia@verizon.net>:
> George Herbert wrote:
>> I don't want Wikipedia being used to sell Coffee, or shares in Citibank.
>>
> On a lighter note, have no fear about the latter - obviously the only
> thing capable of selling shares in Citi right now is a massive
> government bailout. Our little brand would hardly make a dent.

Oh, ye of little faith! With the power of Wikipedia behind it,
Citigroup's shares would go through the roof!

Re: Trademarks [ In reply to ]
On Wed, Nov 26, 2008 at 11:23 AM, Michael Bimmler <mbimmler@gmail.com>wrote:

> On Wed, Nov 26, 2008 at 5:20 PM, Anthony <wikimail@inbox.org> wrote:
> > On Wed, Nov 26, 2008 at 10:35 AM, Nathan <nawrich@gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> >> Anthony, Mike - I'm sure you haven't forgotten that this is
> Foundation-l,
> >> not Trademark 01 (or Intro to rhetoric, for that matter), but maybe we
> can
> >> draw the discussion back to matters Wikimedia?
> >>

> > I would think the general council's
>
> Oh, we created yet another council? I thought a board of trustees, an
> advisory board and a wikicouncil is enough. SCNR.

Right, I can't spell.

>philosophical position on trademarks is
> > a matter quite Wikimedia, especially since Mike says that it influences
> what
> > he does pretty much on a daily basis.
> >

> Yes and maybe we want to leave legal issues to the legal staff? I'm
> all for discussions, but there is a certain point where laymen's
> advice becomes less-than-usable/efficient.

Legal issues should be left to the legal staff. Philosophical issues, on
the other hand, should absolutely not be left to legal taff. Hence my
question about separating the two, you know, the one which was derided as
disparaging.
Re: Trademarks [ In reply to ]
I wonder whether Proctor and Gamble will ever sue Wikimedia Foundation
because of its brand *Wick MediNite*...

Here my little brainstorming:

Wikipedia on USB-stick, with WP-logo, updates automatically (put it into an
online computer over night).

A lap top beveridge holder (certainly already on the market in the US?) or
high coffeine beveridge. School bags with Wikipedia logo. Writing implement.

There are young people with certain nerd problems, and in Wikipedia summer
camps they could follow their interests but also get education in fitting
into society. Parents would prefer paying for that than for Star Wars
conventions. Kinda scouting for the clumsy.

Ziko

2008/11/26 Jimmy Wales <jwales@wikia-inc.com>

> George Herbert wrote:
> > On Tue, Nov 25, 2008 at 8:11 PM, Geoffrey Plourde <geo.plrd@yahoo.com>
> wrote:
> >> No what is wrong with wikipedia brand dog food (provided that we receive
> a cut?)?
> >
> > See standard discussion of whether we want to accept advertising
> > onsite. Same general logic.
>
> Of course, Wikipedia brand dog food is a pretty far-fetched idea, and as
> such might not provide the most interesting thought experiment for us to
> feel our way forward to an understanding of the values that we want to
> uphold. No one is likely to want to do Wikipedia brand dog food in the
> first place, and the puzzlement that consumers would feel over what it
> is about ("the dog food that anyone can edit"? "Imagine a world in which
> every single dog on the planet..." :-)) would be substantial.
>
> Tougher calls and more interesting thought experiments might involve
> products that people might actually be interested in making and selling
> (perhaps even successfully!).
>
> (I am just randomly brainstorming to pose a few interesting challenges.)
>
> 1. Wikipedia books - these have been done in Germany with some success,
> but imagine this being done on a massive scale, hiring some people in
> the community, but also being done in part by people we never met.
>
> 2. Wikipedia television quiz program - with some sort of wiki flair and
> with educational segments about our projects and goals in the developing
> world... but what if the program *itself* isn't freely licensed?
> (That's part of the thought experiment.)
>
> 3. Wikipedia series of documentaries - like National Geographic
> programs - these are to be produced in the old fashioned way, with large
> budgets, and will be run on television (perhaps on a pay channel like
> HBO) and then subsequently revenues are expected from DVD sales. There
> is no community collaborative production. But the end product will be
> proprietary for 5 years and then released under a free license.
>

> --Jimbo

Ziko van Dijk
NL-Silvolde
Re: Trademarks [ In reply to ]
> Wikipedia on USB-stick, with WP-logo, updates automatically (put it into an
> online computer over night).

I like the sound of that. (It wouldn't need to be overnight, a patch
containing a week's worth, say, of (vetted) edits to a selection of
articles small enough to fit on a USB-stick (with images) would be
pretty small, I expect.)

Re: Trademarks [ In reply to ]
If we could design the software for this, implement FlaggedRevs and a update script, this might be a winner. Also, if we can have a Wikimedia Suite (Wikipedia, Wiktionary, Commons, Wikinews, Wikisources) we could have a hell of a deal.

Re: Trademarks [ In reply to ]
Geoffrey Plourde wrote:
> No what is wrong with wikipedia brand dog food (provided that we receive a cut?)?

We just need to hope it's not a cut with melamine.

Ec

Re: Trademarks [ In reply to ]
But melamine adds texture. Plus then who else can say "bringing the sum of all low grade dog food to dogs everywhere"