Mailing List Archive

Re: Signal languages Wikimedia projects [ In reply to ]
Why not read about it first?

Many people interested in the continued survival of deaf culture are
very worried about cochlear implants.

Mark

Re: Signal languages Wikimedia projects [ In reply to ]
Gerard Meijssen wrote:
> Hoi,
> The proposal is for ASL to be written in SignWriting. This has the added
> benefit that whatever is actually written can also be edited in our wiki
> style. The problem with video is that you cannot change it and consequently
> it is not really Wiki.
>
> Steve Slevinsky is working on an extension that will allow for the writing
> of any sign languages using SignWriting. I understand that he is even
> cosidering another skin.. This will allow for much of the user interface to
> be localised.
> Thanks,
> GerardM

That's great, but how do we integrate it into other projects? Are we
going to use the extension on every single project just for the purpose
of interwiki links (it might have a little more use on commons and
meta), or will there just not be interwiki links from projects to a
SignWriting wiki?

An extension to have a wiki that uses SignWriting instead of a normal
script is one thing, getting it to work well with projects that are in a
normal script - interwiki links, CentralAuth, etc. - seems like it would
be a lot more difficult.

--
Alex (wikipedia:en:User:Mr.Z-man)

Re: Signal languages Wikimedia projects [ In reply to ]
On Sun, Nov 23, 2008 at 6:25 PM, Gerard Meijssen
<gerard.meijssen@gmail.com>wrote:

> When people claim that deaf people are able to read and write in the
> "dominant" language, they forget that this has never been a reason to deny
> people their Wikipedia in their language. We do allow people who speak a
> native American language their projects. Sign languages are as different
> from the "dominant" language as native American languages are from Spanish,
> Portuguese or English.

However, we do have a policy (for better or worse) that currently states
that:
"The proposal has a sufficient number of living native speakers to form a
viable
community and audience." [1]

I've yet to see any information indicating that SignWriting is a primary
mode
of communication for large groups of people, much less their native method
of communication.

-Chad

[1] http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Meta:Language_proposal_policy#Requisites
Re: Signal languages Wikimedia projects [ In reply to ]
Chad hett schreven:
> However, we do have a policy (for better or worse) that currently states
> that:
> "The proposal has a sufficient number of living native speakers to form a
> viable
> community and audience." [1]
>
> I've yet to see any information indicating that SignWriting is a primary
> mode
> of communication for large groups of people, much less their native method
> of communication.
>
> -Chad

That sentence refers to the language. The language has to have a
sufficient number of oral speakers (or signers). It doesn't say anything
about the the number of people actually able to read and write in that
language. And this configuration does make sense, in my opinion. If we
have a hypothetical language with one million oral speakers, but only a
handful of people able to write, it will still be useful to create a
written encyclopedia. Cause if you start to teach the one million
analphabets how to read, they immediately have written content
available. If there is no written content available, there is no
incentive to learn to read. It's a chicken or egg dilemma. Why are there
so few books in Breton? Cause there are so few people able to read
Breton. Why are there so few people able to read Breton? Cause there is
so few content available. (among other reasons) It's a self-energizing
effect. The more content there is, the more interest there will be.

Marcus Buck

Re: Signal languages Wikimedia projects [ In reply to ]
Hoi,
Good idea Mark... " "a croaking dalek with laryngitis"
Thanks,
GerardM

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cochlear_implant#Efficacy

Re: Signal languages Wikimedia projects [ In reply to ]
Okay Gerard, just because one British MP said it sounded like a
croaking dalek with laryngitis means that it's not a major issue in
the deaf community. I think you misunderstand what I'm saying.

I am not saying that all deaf people should get cochlear implants.
What I am saying, is that deaf and HoH _children_ are now often given
cochlear implants at a very, very young age by their hearing parents,
at least in the USA.

If you have been deaf for 20 years and you get a cochlear implant,
that will be a very different experience than if you grew up with one.
A deaf person can't usually acquire a spoken language as their native
language in the same way that a hearing person can; however a cochlear
implant at a very young age allows this to happen.

Re: Signal languages Wikimedia projects [ In reply to ]
On Mon, Nov 24, 2008 at 1:58 AM, Marcus Buck <me@marcusbuck.org> wrote:
> Chad hett schreven:
>> However, we do have a policy (for better or worse) that currently states
>> that:
>> "The proposal has a sufficient number of living native speakers to form a
>> viable
>> community and audience." [1]
>>
>> I've yet to see any information indicating that SignWriting is a primary
>> mode
>> of communication for large groups of people, much less their native method
>> of communication.
>>
>> -Chad
>>
> That sentence refers to the language. The language has to have a
> sufficient number of oral speakers (or signers). It doesn't say anything
> about the the number of people actually able to read and write in that
> language.

I disagree. It talks about a sufficient number _to form a viable
community and audience_. Only people who write are part of the
community. Only people who read are part of the audience.

> And this configuration does make sense, in my opinion. If we
> have a hypothetical language with one million oral speakers, but only a
> handful of people able to write, it will still be useful to create a
> written encyclopedia. Cause if you start to teach the one million
> analphabets how to read, they immediately have written content
> available. If there is no written content available, there is no
> incentive to learn to read. It's a chicken or egg dilemma. Why are there
> so few books in Breton? Cause there are so few people able to read
> Breton. Why are there so few people able to read Breton? Cause there is
> so few content available. (among other reasons) It's a self-energizing
> effect. The more content there is, the more interest there will be.

That may be a laudable task, but it is not our task. Our task is to
make content and information available, not to help a language in
getting used.

Reading this thread, I see that:
* creating a sign language wikipedia is going to have technical problems
* even after it is created, the majority of signers of the language
will not be able to read it or contribute, and default to 'normal'
written language instead
* there are several methods of writing sign language, and it is not
yet clear which one(s) is (are) going to be used on the long term

Seeing all this, it looks to me that sign languages on the wikis are a
lot of work to create a very likely failure.

The ideal situation would be to have an automatic conversion from
written sign language to an animation of someone making the signs.
However, that doesn't sound like something we'll see in the near
future. So for now I am very doubtful about a sign language wiki that
the majority of signers is not able to read.

--
André Engels, andreengels@gmail.com
Re: Signal languages Wikimedia projects [ In reply to ]
While this is all very interesting (I am not being sarcastic, this is
what my research is about!) this is almost totally off-topic. Please
take this on-wiki or to private email.

I didn't notice any mention of the proof-of-concept wiki for SignWriting
at http://www.signpuddle.net/mediawiki/index.php/Main_Page

It's clearly insufficient for writing encyclopedia articles, but I think
even this early stuff would be suitable for starting a Wiktionary. I
think that would be a much better project to start at this point, for
reasons mentioned previously, but one critical one: We have community
members (such as myself) who could contribute to ase.wiktionary but not
ase.wikipedia. I'm not fluent in ASL to begin with, and I'm unfamiliar
with SignWriting. As mentioned, many Deaf people might be in a similar
position, since there has historically been essentially no written form
of ASL.

I've also started a project at Wikiversity to serve that group of
people:
http://en.wikiversity.org/wiki/Learn_SignWriting_for_American_Sign_Language.
I'll hopefully be adding to it as I learn more about SignWriting myself
- other interested parties are of course encouraged to help me!

-Mike

2008/11/23 Gerard Meijssen <gerard.meijssen@gmail.com>:
> Hoi,
> Good idea Mark... " "a croaking dalek with laryngitis"
> Thanks,
> GerardM
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cochlear_implant#Efficacy

----
Mike.lifeguard
mikelifeguard@fastmail.fm

Re: Signal languages Wikimedia projects [ In reply to ]
Andre Engels hett schreven:
>> nd this configuration does make sense, in my opinion. If we
>> have a hypothetical language with one million oral speakers, but only a
>> handful of people able to write, it will still be useful to create a
>> written encyclopedia. Cause if you start to teach the one million
>> analphabets how to read, they immediately have written content
>> available. If there is no written content available, there is no
>> incentive to learn to read. It's a chicken or egg dilemma. Why are there
>> so few books in Breton? Cause there are so few people able to read
>> Breton. Why are there so few people able to read Breton? Cause there is
>> so few content available. (among other reasons) It's a self-energizing
>> effect. The more content there is, the more interest there will be.
>>

> That may be a laudable task, but it is not our task.
Are you sane? That's _exactly_ our task! Give access to information to
people, who nobody else cares about.
English Wikipedia is a great project, but almost all information in it
can be found elsewhere on the internet. There are other online
encyclopedias, databases, private and institutional websites, Google
Books. English Wikipedia is just a more convenient way to access the
information out there. It saves you time sorting out the good and bad
information on the world wide web. That's it, a convenience tool. But a
well-developed Yoruba Wikipedia or Gan Wikipedia or Sango Wikipedia or
[add in here one of hundreds of other languages] could be the only
easily accessible information resource at all. Nobody cares about giving
information access to the five million Sango speakers or the hundreds of
thousands signers. We should care! I doesn't cost us much. Well,
actually it doesn't cost us anything.

Marcus Buck

Re: Signal languages Wikimedia projects [ In reply to ]
Argueing about what languages are welcome in Wikimedia, I think we should
agree that *that* language:

2008/11/24 Marcus Buck <me@marcusbuck.org>

> Are you sane?

is not the kind of language that is contributing to a pleasant discussion
atmosphere in this list.

Ziko van Dijk

--
Ziko van Dijk
NL-Silvolde
Re: Signal languages Wikimedia projects [ In reply to ]
________________________________
On Sun, Nov 23, 2008 at 6:25 PM, Gerard Meijssen
<gerard.meijssen@gmail.com>wrote:

However, we do have a policy (for better or worse) that currently states
that:
"The proposal has a sufficient number of living native speakers to form a
viable
community and audience." [1]

I've yet to see any information indicating that SignWriting is a primary
mode
of communication for large groups of people, much less their native method
of communication.

-Chad

[1] http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Meta:Language_proposal_policy#Requisites

The community draft of Language proposal policy replace the current requisite for this:
"The proposal has a sufficient worldwide number of people able to express themselves at a fluent level, in the written, spoken or signed form, to form a viable community and audience".[1]
[1] http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Meta:Language_proposal_policy/Community_draft#Requisites

It eliminates the controversy if a sign language is or not a native method of communication.
C.m.l.

Re: Signal languages Wikimedia projects [ In reply to ]
On Mon, Nov 24, 2008 at 5:40 PM, Marcus Buck <me@marcusbuck.org> wrote:
> Andre Engels hett schreven:
>>> nd this configuration does make sense, in my opinion. If we
>>> have a hypothetical language with one million oral speakers, but only a
>>> handful of people able to write, it will still be useful to create a
>>> written encyclopedia. Cause if you start to teach the one million
>>> analphabets how to read, they immediately have written content
>>> available. If there is no written content available, there is no
>>> incentive to learn to read. It's a chicken or egg dilemma. Why are there
>>> so few books in Breton? Cause there are so few people able to read
>>> Breton. Why are there so few people able to read Breton? Cause there is
>>> so few content available. (among other reasons) It's a self-energizing
>>> effect. The more content there is, the more interest there will be.
>>>

>> That may be a laudable task, but it is not our task.
> Are you sane? That's _exactly_ our task! Give access to information to
> people, who nobody else cares about.
> English Wikipedia is a great project, but almost all information in it
> can be found elsewhere on the internet. There are other online
> encyclopedias, databases, private and institutional websites, Google
> Books. English Wikipedia is just a more convenient way to access the
> information out there. It saves you time sorting out the good and bad
> information on the world wide web. That's it, a convenience tool. But a
> well-developed Yoruba Wikipedia or Gan Wikipedia or Sango Wikipedia or
> [add in here one of hundreds of other languages] could be the only
> easily accessible information resource at all. Nobody cares about giving
> information access to the five million Sango speakers or the hundreds of
> thousands signers. We should care! I doesn't cost us much. Well,
> actually it doesn't cost us anything.

You grossly misunderstood me. What I claimed was NOT that we should
not be making information available in 'smaller' languages. What I
want to claim is that we should do so to make the *information*
available, not to help the *language* develop. Wikipedia is there to
spread the information. We should have Wikipedia in Yoruba and Sango,
not because that helps develop the Yoruba and Sango _languages_ to get
more useful and have a higher status, but because it helps the Yoruba
and Sango _speakers_ to get the information they want.

And that's where I have my doubts about sign language, at least at
this point in time - even among those who have (say) ASL as their
first language, literacy in English or Spanish seems to be a lot
higher than that in sign language. A Yoruba or Sango speaker may be
able to use an English or French Wikipedia quite well to get
information, but would be helped even better if the same information
were available in their mother tongue. A signer on the other hand is
likely to have less difficulties understanding written English than
written sign language.

--
André Engels, andreengels@gmail.com
Re: Signal languages Wikimedia projects [ In reply to ]
Hoi,
The same arguments that apply to people who speak languages like Yoruba and
Sango apply to any of the sign languages.. People who are deaf and sign are
better served when equal information is available in their sign language.

When people are motivated to work on "their" wikipedia, they do this for
their own reasons. When their motivation is that it develops and promotes
their language, it is something that is very much particular to them. When
well written articles are available for any language, it does indeed promote
and develops that language. It is the consequence of quality work. In my
opinion it is something we should seek for any language. When people argue
that great texts will develop their language, it is therefore a positive
argument not a negative one.
Thanks,
GerardM

Re: Signal languages Wikimedia projects [ In reply to ]
On Thu, Nov 27, 2008 at 11:09 AM, Gerard Meijssen
<gerard.meijssen@gmail.com> wrote:

> The same arguments that apply to people who speak languages like Yoruba and
> Sango apply to any of the sign languages.. People who are deaf and sign are
> better served when equal information is available in their sign language.

Only if it is presented in a way they find easier to understand than
written English (or whatever other language). From what I read in this
thread, a sign language Wikipedia for many signers will be as useless
as the Yiddish Wikipedia is for someone who speaks Yiddish, but has
learned reading and writing in his second language which does not use
Hebrew script.

> When people are motivated to work on "their" wikipedia, they do this for
> their own reasons. When their motivation is that it develops and promotes
> their language, it is something that is very much particular to them. When
> well written articles are available for any language, it does indeed promote
> and develops that language. It is the consequence of quality work. In my
> opinion it is something we should seek for any language. When people argue
> that great texts will develop their language, it is therefore a positive
> argument not a negative one.

If people work on a language for such a reason, it is of course fine
with me, but it is not what, from the POV of the Wikimedia Foundation,
the wiki is for. It is, in my opinion, at most a byproduct (is that an
English word?).

--
André Engels, andreengels@gmail.com
Re: Signal languages Wikimedia projects [ In reply to ]
Andre Engels hett schreven:
> On Mon, Nov 24, 2008 at 5:40 PM, Marcus Buck <me@marcusbuck.org> wrote:
>
>> Andre Engels hett schreven:

>>> That may be a laudable task, but it is not our task.
>>>
>> Are you sane? That's _exactly_ our task! Give access to information to
>> people, who nobody else cares about.
>> English Wikipedia is a great project, but almost all information in it
>> can be found elsewhere on the internet. There are other online
>> encyclopedias, databases, private and institutional websites, Google
>> Books. English Wikipedia is just a more convenient way to access the
>> information out there. It saves you time sorting out the good and bad
>> information on the world wide web. That's it, a convenience tool. But a
>> well-developed Yoruba Wikipedia or Gan Wikipedia or Sango Wikipedia or
>> [add in here one of hundreds of other languages] could be the only
>> easily accessible information resource at all. Nobody cares about giving
>> information access to the five million Sango speakers or the hundreds of
>> thousands signers. We should care! I doesn't cost us much. Well,
>> actually it doesn't cost us anything.
>>

> You grossly misunderstood me. What I claimed was NOT that we should
> not be making information available in 'smaller' languages. What I
> want to claim is that we should do so to make the *information*
> available, not to help the *language* develop. Wikipedia is there to
> spread the information. We should have Wikipedia in Yoruba and Sango,
> not because that helps develop the Yoruba and Sango _languages_ to get
> more useful and have a higher status, but because it helps the Yoruba
> and Sango _speakers_ to get the information they want.

But those two are Siamese twins. You cannot separate them. That's what I
wanted to say. Chad said "there's no audience" and I said "of course
there is no audience when the stage is empty. the balcony will fill once
the actors enter the stage".
In 1880 there were no gas stations. And there were no good roads. Horses
were cheap and motor cars were expensive and loud and they stank. They
were not even quicker than the horses. There was no market for motor
cars. And still some guys tried to sell motor cars. It took decades
until the car was able to replace horses. It will possibly too take
decades to make Sango and American Sign full-fledged languages. But
isn't it worth to take a start?
For a person born deaf, learning to read the written oral language of
his environment is like learning Chinese for a person speaking English.
It's a big mass of signs and the deaf person cannot make much sense out
of them cause they are meant to represent sounds. Sounds that have no
meaning to the deaf person. For them it's only an array of strokes and
curves.
I speak three languages and can read some more. But those are all
closely related (and well-equipped with resources) Germanic languages.
If I were a Sango speaker I had to learn French or English to obtain
non-local bound knowledge. Those languages are completely unrelated.
It's again like learning Chinese. I am sure the Sango speakers would be
very glad if they had not to learn "Chinese" (perhaps they still would
learn it, but they weren't forced any more).
If you speak Sango natively and there is a well-developed Sango
Wikipedia around, the information becomes available once you attain
school and have gained basic reading skills. If there is no Sango
Wikipedia around, information only becomes available once you attained
school for several years and gained reading and understanding skills in
a foreign language. It'll save you some years.

An important point is: Wikimedia's goal is not bottling the brains of
humankind with as much information and knowledge as possible. That would
be easiest achieved with teaching a world language to all people (as a
standardized filling spout). No, we only want to _provide_ information.
An easily accessible information repository. Everybody who wants
information can obtain it from Wikimedia's projects. As a provider we
should provide our material in the easiest accessible format (language).
And for most people that's the native (or "first") language.

Marcus Buck